• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Rev3rb

pwQYJ.gif

In preparation for Halo 4 multiplayer, I decided I wanted to try the Ben Heck project where he put the guts of a 360 controller into a Duke controller. After talking to an authority on the subject, I learned that it would either take a ludicrous amount of work or would cost me about $1000 to have it made. So, I decided instead to just mod the 360 controller shell to feel as close to the Duke as possible.

Since those chunky handles are what gives the Duke its trademark feel, I went ahead and transplanted them onto a 360 controller. I took the Duke backplate and chopped it down until the handles could be roughly aligned with the frontplate of the 360 controller. I kept the battery pack portion of the 360 backplate in order to both house the battery pack and hold everything in place. Here's the (not quite) finished product:

l4Y5L.jpg

XHBYA.jpg

hrENv.jpg

It's not much to look at, but it feels basically identical to the Duke. Plus, it maintains the superior control scheme of the 360 pad. The joysticks from the Duke just pop right in, and they're a big improvement for FPS gaming in my opinion.

The tape is there to cover up the gaps in the plastic that occur along the seams, rather than to hold it all together. My next step is to replace that pesky battery pack with a lithium ion battery that can be smoothly integrated within the shell itself. That damn thing is always getting in the way.

I hope this plays well, because it looks like crap.

GavinGT

Banned
I hope this plays well, because it looks like crap.

It plays extremely well. The regular 360 controller gives me hand cramps in no time, and messes up my thumbs' ability to aim accurately. This totally alleviates that problem.

And I'm about to re-do the back with a different 360 backplate so there aren't those huge gaps any more.

Markster

For those of us showing up to the spoiler-party late, is is possible to know what that guy posted? (In spoiler tags, of course)

aFIGurANT

Why the hell is this guy using the AR loadout on Exile???

Terrible.

Lol I can't watch other people play halo unless it's something like this...so many stupid decisions made when it comes to running into battles that you aren't equipped to win. This is fun though, these guys aren't bad at all overall.

neoism

For those of us showing up to the spoiler-party late, is is possible to know what that guy posted? (In spoiler tags, of course)

not sure what people do this... it make the game more special finding out while playing...for the first time... I know its a video game, but still

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Lol I can't watch other people play halo unless it's something like this...so many stupid decisions made when it comes to running into battles that you aren't equipped to win. This is fun though, these guys aren't bad at all overall.

The player is definitely getting better, early on in that CTF match he was just running out in the open with an AR. haha

I can't stand to watch pre-release Halo 4 gameplay anymore. I already know I'm getting the game, and I know everything I need to about multiplayer and the maps. Watching these people play the game is so frustrating since they are all horribly bad. 343's stream yesterday while a nice gesture, was straight up terrible. I can't fathom how game developers are always so incredibly bad at their games. At one point in the stream yesterday, they commented on how Kynan Pearson (close enough) worked on the map Complex and it would be embarrassing if he lost. He then proceeded to sprint into the side of a box for a good three seconds...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Sorry if any of you guys got spoiled. :(

If it makes anyone feel better, I've supposedly gotten spoiled 3 times. There are multiple fake endings out in the internet right now.

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, so what streams are going on other than IGN's? Any stream where the players are a bit, uh, better?
EDIt actually, the guy in IGN's vid isn't too bad, but is Flood mode...

I can't stand to watch pre-release Halo 4 gameplay anymore. I already know I'm getting the game, and I know everything I need to about multiplayer and the maps. Watching these people play the game is so frustrating since they are all horribly bad. 343's stream yesterday while a nice gesture, was straight up terrible. I can't fathom how game developers are always so incredibly bad at their games. At one point in the stream yesterday, they commented on how Kynan Pearson (close enough) worked on the map Complex and it would be embarrassing if he lost. He then proceeded to sprint into the side of a box for a good three seconds...

Don't forge the binary rifle CHOKE. KZZL

Thank god I was late to work this morning, heh. Spoiler free so far. Sorry about everyone else :( What a shit thing to do.

Fantastic montage Tashi. All from one day and least 3 Overkills in there, damn.
Grifball lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thank god I was late to work this morning, heh. Spoiler free so far. Sorry about everyone else :( What a shit thing to do.

Fantastic montage Tashi. All from one day and least 3 Overkills in there, damn.
Grifball lol

Thanks. By my count it was 2 grifball overkills and 3 normal ones.....oh god, 3 normal overkills. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm definitely going to go with Boxer for my control scheme, it's surprisingly adequate.

Edit: Or BJ, either one, since I'll never use Jetpack.

LowParry

Man, guess I'm lucky on missing out whatever it was that was posted. I'm out of this thread for a good while! Keep up the fight GAF!

Top Bottom