• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

EvB

Halo GAF -- as someone who has enjoyed the story of Halo in general and has had their interest in the universe spike as a result of playing through H4 SP (I had a press copy), what books should I check out? I know some of the later games have caused some to drop out of the canon or whatever, so what is good, relevant and particularly now? I understand some in particular will expand and explain bits of H4.

I like to know this too. I tried to read the first book. But I found the space battles a little boring.

Halo GAF -- as someone who has enjoyed the story of Halo in general and has had their interest in the universe spike as a result of playing through H4 SP (I had a press copy), what books should I check out? I know some of the later games have caused some to drop out of the canon or whatever, so what is good, relevant and particularly now? I understand some in particular will expand and explain bits of H4.

Cryptum and Primordium focus on the Forerunners.

Glasslands and Thursday War take place between Halo 3 and 4.

aj1467

I'd personally recommend them all, if you have the time. But the ones that tie into H4 are:
Cryptum, Primordium, Glasslands & The Thursday War.

The last book in the Forerunner trilogy is due out in March, i think.

Edit: damn you Ein!!

Zeal

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrp3CZRFl4&noredirect=1

I'm sorry, but the asian kid in the Machinima Halo 4 stream is the most annoying asshole I've ever seen. Screaming "DUDE" and "FUCK" and telling us how "nasty" his snipes are and how "Totally fucking bonkers, duuuude" some of the weapons are...

Jesus, thanks for reinforcing that negative dudebro sterotype that Halo has unfortunately become associated with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Halo 4 is better than Halo 3.
This is a bold statement.

All this multiplayer stuff is getting me hype. Seeing a lot more of the MP details come out has eased a lot of my concerns a bit and it seems like the game will be hitting all the MP itches that I have for other games, but this time inside of Halo. I'm still most worried about the single player and what direction and tone they're taking with the new trilogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrp3CZRFl4&noredirect=1

I'm sorry, but the asian kid in the Machinima Halo 4 stream is the most annoying asshole I've ever seen. Screaming "DUDE" and "FUCK" and telling us how "nasty" his snipes are and how "Totally fucking bonkers, duuuude" some of the weapons are...

Jesus, thanks for reinforcing that negative dudebro sterotype that Halo has unfortunately become associated with.
Have to cosign this, every time I've tuned into the Machinima stream they've had *those* kinds of people on and it's annoying.

NekoFever

Cryptum is very useful if you're interested in Halo 4. There are a few Forerunner terms and concepts touched on in the game that are explained fully in that book. Plus it's a pretty great book in its own right.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I had the same feeling. I beat Halo 4 and really wanted to know more about the Forerunners and their story. I picked up Cryptum and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Zeal

Banned
Reach is a GOOD game, but not a GREAT game like Halo 1-3.

343i saved Halo.

No fluff, I've been a pretty vocal critic for stuff also.

Reach was an amazing game, and Firefight was some of the most fun I've ever had in Halo. All the hatred on that game is complete bunk.

Reach was an amazing game, and Firefight was some of the most fun I've ever had in Halo. All the hatred on that game is complete bunk.

image.php

Lingitiz

Reach is a GOOD game, but not a GREAT game like Halo 1-3.

343i saved Halo.

No fluff, I've been a pretty vocal critic for stuff also.

Agreed.

As for the campaign pacing and level design itself, how did it stack up to Bungie's games?

Also, what are we looking at in terms of cutscene content. Halo 2 was filled with a ton of story but 3 was absolutely barebones.

beanman25

Just had a monster game (for me at least) haha.

24 kills, 5 assists, and 4 deaths.

Really exciting stuff, haha. First triple kill I've gotten on this so far!

CyReN

Agreed.

As for the campaign pacing and level design itself, how did it stack up to Bungie's games?

Also, what are we looking at in terms of cutscene content. Halo 2 was filled with a ton of story but 3 was absolutely barebones.

It has that "new" Halo 1 feel, they nailed the atmosphere. Story is very interesting.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Let's just agree to disagree. Between Halo 2 and Halo 3, I have around 15-16 thousand games. I loves the SHIT out of those games.

Reach, I think i have a thousand or two. I really just didn't like the changes that AA's brought to the game, and i wasn't too keen on the maps.

Halo 4 looks like a refresher. I'm not going to say 'reach was a mistake zomg'. It was an experiment, and it didn't fare to well.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I will say it again but the way the playlists are organized is great, playing exactly what you want to play is a god send.
I'm still surprised Grifball and Extraction don't have their own playlists. Same for SWAT and snipers, but to a lesser degree/

Zeal

Banned
I really expected people to use the BR as the standard, all around multiplayer weapon, but I see everyone using the DMR, even for close range combat. This is pleasantly surprising.

DMR > All

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cryptum is very useful if you're interested in Halo 4. There are a few Forerunner terms and concepts touched on in the game that are explained fully in that book. Plus it's a pretty great book in its own right.

Awesome, I just finished Cryptum the other day, attempting to power through Primordium before launch. Hoping it too ties in with the game pretty well. Any insight into this? Sans spoilers of course.

Holy shit that was a great game between Instinct and The Fun Police!

All I know is that this game is a hell of a lot more fun to watch then Reach, so, that's a good sign. I'm totally stoked to fucking play it.

wwm0nkey

Awesome, I just finished Cryptum the other day, attempting to power through Primordium before launch. Hoping it too ties in with the game pretty well. Any insight into this? Sans spoilers of course.

Reading the Forerunner books kind of makes the story better to be honest lol

Gintamen

Primordium is quiet different to Cryptum, so don't await too much from that one. I still have 60 percent left from Thursday war, hope I will get through it till release.

EDIT:
It's a shame that Silentium got delayed...
Maybe it has become an interlude to Halo 5. Would be so nice to see any cameo,
the Didact
would be nice.

Sry double post

Wait so did I just read that BTB does not have any objective games? WTF!

BTB is totally meant for objective game types, I was afraid of this with how weighted slayer and heavies are in Reach. This is some BS if you ask me. Hopefully there will be a quick playlist update soon after launch that throws some good old CTF (I mean come on, yo have Valhalla back and that map was made for awesome 2 flag games) in there, but as of now I'm quite angry with this.

kdash7

Could anyone please tell me how is the 4 player splitscreen mp? I will be going to India soon and i am planning to play Halo 4 with my buddies on the same screen. Are the graphics / effects affected in any way? Or its the same expierience as playing on live alone? Is the fps a solid 30 on 4p splitscreen?

Anyone please?

Top Bottom