• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

TheOddOne

The marines and ODST’s from previous games all acted as if they were all new to combat, rookies that needed an extra hand. And by extension you felt that they were surprised and amazed as you during the game. Them knowing even less made them seem more relatable and friendly.

Spartan 4’s were cocky and know-it-alls. “Get out of our way kind of attitude” is staple military stuff. You are just a person within those ranks and you should shut up and take orders. Which is boring, because every genre game has done that to death.

That is my takeaway at least.

Woorloog

Banned
-- They just need a badass action sequence and she'll be redeemed for many/most people. Look at Raiden.

Fuck, no.
I wouldn't like her even if she did something really heroic. So abrasive and annoying character. Letting her to be hero or do something great would only add to her bad sides. Hated and a hero? That's mary-sue territory.

Tzeentch

Fuck, no.
I wouldn't like her even if she did something really heroic. So abrasive and annoying character. Letting her to be hero or do something great would only add to her bad sides. Hated and a hero? That's mary-sue territory.
-- People said almost exactly the same thing about Raiden.
-- And she's a much more balanced character in the post-Spartan Ops material (well, Assault has some goofy lines but she doesn't really say anything egregious).

Mistel

Banned
I'd rather not have Palmer in the future unless she dies within a game I personally find her so abrasive and annoying as a character like the rest of the IV's are.

u4iX

I'm just not gonna buy comics or read books in order to enjoy a character in a game where I'm now only concerned about multiplayer.

TheOddOne

-- And she's a much more balanced character in the post-Spartan Ops material (well, Assault has some goofy lines but she doesn't really say anything egregious).
Balanced? Not quite. They made her talk less, but to some extent the damage was already done so it felt like “Good god, they finally made her shut up”. Her mannerism and justifications were still quite annoying.

Woorloog

Banned
-- People said almost exactly the same thing about Raiden.

I have no idea who Raiden is and how his reception matters. So he got more positively received later on, fine. Doesn't mean it is gonna work for another. Sure as hell don't want 343i to even try, just kill her off and replace with someone else. Actual female-Johnson-type would work fine (can't recall nasty female drill-sergeant type from anything i've seen or read, so i assume the type is rare), assuming she stands on her own.
And whatever Palmer may be in comics and other EU is also irrelevant. What i don't know doesn't change my opinion (and no, reading about it in Halopedia doesn't help. Or matter). Somehow i doubt majority of Halo fans have read the comics (or any other Halo EU), though i also reckon there are no good statistics about this.

Tzeentch

I have no idea who Raiden is and how his reception matters. So he got more positively received later on, fine. Doesn't mean it is gonna work for another. Sure as hell don't want 343i to even try, just kill her off and replace with someone else.
-- OK man, your mind is made up. But I doubt 343i is going to can the character because some fans are completely unreasonable.
Somehow i doubt majority of Halo fans have read the comics (or any other Halo EU), though i also reckon there are no good statistics about this.
-- Well then, I guess 343i can just continue sailing on because it's probably only a handful of people that actually hate Palmer.

Chettlar

Banned
For all complaints about dudebro Spartan-IVs, i have to note that marines in Halo CE, 2 and 3 are quite... unprofessional too. Of course, they're not supersoldiers, i get that supersoldiers acting in dudebro manner is more annoying.

(And the Noble team is another matter. One can't drive and the rest insist armor locking when they see an enemy)

Bungie seemed more concerned with just having fun with their games. 343 is a lot more serious with theirs. I really think that kind of harmed 4. Even Reach had this fun, even comical at times combat. 4 didn't really do that.

-- OK man, your mind is made up. But I doubt 343i is going to can the character because some fans are completely unreasonable.

-- Well then, I guess 343i can just continue sailing on because it's probably only a handful of people that actually hate Palmer.

I don't really know a single person who actually likes palmer. She's just an awful character. More importantly, nobody wants her to be likable. She's not the kind of person you can do that to.

If they had originally intended her to be annoying and immature and abrasive and whatever, it might have worked. But she's not just that. Down to the core, she's simply a badly done character.

Omni

No need to boost. Just throw the ball into the goal 3 times. Easy. Don't bother trying to run in for a score.

You can just throw it in?

I honestly didn't know that haha. Played three games last night and got absolutely steamrolled while trying to run it in. Didn't help that my team were useless
as usual

Woorloog

Banned

I wonder. People sometimes claim only a minority of Halo fans want classic Halo back, yet others point out stuff that, according to them (i think i'm not going to comment either way this time), does indicate that this isn't actually the case.
We could assume the situation is similar with Palmer, while it may look like a minority dislikes her, perhaps it is actually majority that does so. After all, most people don't voice their opinions, either way*.

As noted before, people have friends who don't know anything about Halo but find Palmer annoying. If random observers dislikes her, i don't think that's a good (i figure random observers probably don't make comments either way usually, only in more extreme cases. Hmm. Psychology and statistics relating to this kind of stuff are interesting, i wonder if there are any studies...)
Of course, we also got fans who somehow like Palmer (like a friend of mine. But then he is the sort who kind of likes everything "awesome").

*And those who don't, don't matter in the sense that since they don't say anything, their opinion won't be, can't be taken into account.

Oh, and my dislike of Palmer is more than merely finding her abrasive, i question her role and relevance in the story and narrative. And how she feels forced, not a natural fit. And most certainly she adds nothing useful to the story, in campaign at least, other than to set up her for Spartan Ops.
(Just why the fuck does she have to be dismissive of the Chief? Her line when meeting the Chief is actually the point where i started disliking her. Pointless line. 343i could have use show, don't tell principle there, and have her look at the Chief but act dismissively or mostly ignore the Chief, thus showing (quite literally) us she doesn't care. No need for her to tell that. Of course, people don't understand subtlety and how great it is.)

Unfortunately this forcedness is a general problem with the Spartan Ops, the advisers and such in the mode are there to talk and talk, for no real reason. What they say tends to boil down to "press the fucking button". The rest of the exposition is the worst kind, stuff that is utterly irrelevant. Though i guess this is a problem with the format, limited, no-progression action filled missions are not the best place for other stuff. The CGI cutscenes are much better, and even Palmer works better there, though she gets these cheesy moments like fixing a rather severe issue with a mere kick.

Bungie seemed more concerned with just having fun with their games. 343 is a lot more serious with theirs. I really think that kind of harmed 4. Even Reach had this fun, even comical at times combat. 4 didn't really do that.
While I agree with your description on the different tones between Bungie/343, I disagree with you implying that Bungie's way was ideal for Halo. I think I'm ready for a more serious Halo campaign, but what we got in Halo 4 was certainly not that; it was a serious mess. What sucks is that there were some great elements to Halo 4's story, but they never capitalized by making it a complete package contained within the game itself, and they made some boneheaded decisions like Palmer's character.

Palmer: "I thought you'd be taller."
MC: Really? Bitch, I saved your silly insignificant species, and your first words to me are that you thought I'd be taller?
And that's another thing, the proportions of Spartans seemed wayyyy off in different scenes. In one scene MC is like 10 feet taller than all the S-IV's, but elsewhere the S-IV's are giants; it seemed like they weren't consistent throughout.

EDIT:
I wonder. People sometimes claim only a minority of Halo fans want classic Halo back, yet others point out stuff that, according to them (i think i'm not going to comment either way this time), does indicate that this isn't actually the case.
Good point, always hated being called the "vocal minority." That shit phrase stemmed into the community as we tore ourselves apart... "Oh, you want Halo 3 to not be a sluggish mess?! STFU vocal minority!!" lol man.. Rough times.

v Use your edits breh!

Woorloog

Banned
/\
I intended to. I press reply, write, and then i'm supposed to copy-paste it to edit. For some reason i didn't think it through. Also, edit-discussions are really silly...

When it didn't come to story, sure. Cutscenes in Bungie's Halos tended to lack humor (except for occasional moments, like the Chief's "Mix things up a little" line in Cortana mission). Gameplay elements (Marine-lines, grunts) provided comic relief. Personally i never really cared for that, scripted discussions like the one about a postcard in Halo 2 Delta Halo were okay though.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT:
Good point, always hated being called the "vocal minority." That shit phrase stemmed into the community as we tore ourselves apart... "Oh, you want Halo 3 to not be a sluggish mess?! STFU vocal minority!!" lol man.. Rough times.

Note, i didn't say they are or are not a vocal minority. Just wondered if there is a similar situation with Palmer, assuming vocal minority isn't as minor as assumed.

Wait, does that sentence make sense... EDIT no, wait. I write that, press "post reply" and realize i didn't think anything through. Gah. I'll get some pizza...

Chettlar

Banned
While I agree with your description on the different tones between Bungie/343, I disagree with you implying that Bungie's way was ideal for Halo. I think I'm ready for a more serious Halo campaign, but what we got in Halo 4 was certainly not that; it was a serious mess. What sucks is that there were some great elements to Halo 4's story, but they never capitalized by making it a complete package contained within the game itself, and they made some boneheaded decisions like Palmer's character.

Nah, and I was actually all for a more serious campaign. It's just, like you say, how 343 handeled it.

Tone wise, forgeting everything else about the game -- just tone -- Reach, I thought, handled seriousness adequately.

MC: Really? Bitch, I saved your silly insignificant species, and your first words to me are that you thought I'd be taller?

This part about Halo 4's story is probably the part that gets me the most, like actually upset. Being a spartan was this huge amazing thing that made you badass. Like was mentioned earlier, the AI dialogue, while funny at times, really helped to established that.

Halo 4 pretty much killed all of that. I mean, I get they were trying to humanize him, but I really don't think that was the way to do it.

TCKaos

Daaamn. Weyland Yutani corp is mad irresponsible.

(watching alien vs predator movie)

What's hilarious about this is that they were just in the Kill la Kill finale.

CvFMAWo.jpg

Best show of forever infinity/10 by the way.

Anyone wanna play halo 4? I want to get the achievements on The Pit and Vertigo.

Trying to get dlc is next to impossible.

I actually played vertigo two times, the one I needed for the achievement and the other one when one of my friends needed the achievement too, never see the map after that.

Tzeentch

Psychology and statistics relating to this kind of stuff are interesting, i wonder if there are any studies...)
-- Some characters work, some don't. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the ability of a character to be redeemed in the eyes of the fanbase though. I use Raiden as a case example because man, I can't think of a character where the fanbase did a 180 so completely on just because of one scene.
(Just why the fuck does she have to be dismissive of the Chief? Her line when meeting the Chief is actually the point where i started disliking her. Pointless line. 343i could have use show, don't tell principle there, and have her look at the Chief but act dismissively or mostly ignore the Chief, thus showing (quite literally) us she doesn't care.
-- I would bet money that a lot of the hate for her comes from her "dissing" the Chief, as the Chief is the player's avatar. A lot of people hate Del Rio's guts too, primarily because he slags on the Chief (IMO).
Unfortunately this forcedness is a general problem with the Spartan Ops, the advisers and such in the mode are there to talk and talk, for no real reason. What they say tends to boil down to "press the fucking button".
-- I can't really disagree with this, especially in the first half of the season. The Palmer hate really seemed to start during that, as she was pretty benign in the H4 campaign and even in the Ops cutscenes.

Omni

I'm still annoyed that they didn't fix the CEA version of the cover

I mean how long could it have taken them to replace said MC model with the fixed verion? *shrugs*
Anyway... to avoid a completely offtopic post: Was playing a dull CTF match the other night and went AFK for a couple of minutes. When I came back I got that camping achievement haha. Still can't believe that they actually made it a thing

Madness

I don't think you quite understand. We're now almost 1.5 years from launch. But from my own anecdotal opinion/experience, even on several forums including here, there isn't really a single Halo fan I've met who likes Commander Sarah Palmer. And the ones who "tolerate" her, do so in the hope it was bad writing and that she can be fixed for the future. Most wouldn't mind if she was killed off or just disappeared somewhere.

However, it's quite ridiculous how she is not only made the star of a spin-off game, given her own comics, and one of the leads in Spartan Ops when the majority actually dislike her. I think they're going to make her have the lead in the next Halo as well, maybe half of the time like Arbiter in Halo 2. It will be Palmer and Desert Chief alternating.

In all honesty though, the story is pretty much done for me. I really don't care what happens beyond now. Of course I'll enjoy more origin stories. But for me, the fight finished with Halo 3. I only look forward to the multiplayer now.

Chettlar

Banned
Saw this on reddit

Pretty cool mockup. If the box art is like this I'd be down with it.

Looks ok, but it's really plain. The background needs something more substantial.

-- Some characters work, some don't. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the ability of a character to be redeemed in the eyes of the fanbase though. I use Raiden as a case example because man, I can't think of a character where the fanbase did a 180 so completely on just because of one scene.

-- I would bet money that a lot of the hate for her comes from her "dissing" the Chief, as the Chief is the player's avatar. A lot of people hate Del Rio's guts too, primarily because he slags on the Chief (IMO).

-- I can't really disagree with this, especially in the first half of the season. The Palmer hate really seemed to start during that, as she was pretty benign in the H4 campaign and even in the Ops cutscenes.

Dude, listen. Just. No. I don't know why you think people like her or even think everybody doesn't hate her. Everybody I know and know of hates or just tolerates her. She's just not a well designed character anyway from an objective standpoint.

343 would be far better off pursuing a character like Arby. I mean, just picture an entire spin off game about the Arbiter. Doesn't that sound awesome? Of course it does! Some may say "ehh, I guess. I'll wait and see." But there would very likely be a significant number of Halo fans who'd be all for that.

Now in turn what if you announce to everybody, "Hey, we're making an entire game with Palmer as the lead character!" I'm pretty sure people would puke. I mean, SA ended up not all that great either, but it just had to put the icing on the cake with that egghead lady.

Computer

Not only did he save the human race but he was believed to be dead up until they found him. The reunite with Lasky is even more of a joke. I was looking forward to seeing him in the game after the FUD. It appeared the Chief had a major impact on Lasky's life and he just about hyperventilated when he got the distress beacon. What did I get? Never thought I would see you again. Oooh who the fuck wrote this shit? Its like something I would write in 2nd grade. Side note I am part of the so called handful that Hates Palmers and awaits her death.

I'm serious who even thought of "egghead" anyway?

In spanish its called "cerebritos", a little ofensive considering palmer is saying it non stop on the Infinity, where the "Eggheads" are the ones responsible of the spartan equipment before and after their deployment.

Anyone got any ideas for Generator Defense? I recently added Generator Regeneration and Regeneration Time options and I'd love to hear some gameplay suggestions.

Generator Regeneration:
-Disabled
-Always
-Only when locked
-Only when cooling

Generator Time:
-1 second
-2 seconds
-3 seconds
.4 seconds
-5 seconds
This options lets you choose if you want the generators to progresively restore health points. For each time loop the gennie will restore 1 point of health.

Dont add them regen points, it would make the matches longer and boring if the defending team is overcoming the offensive team.

Also I never played your gametypes :c

Woorloog

Banned

Dissing the Chief is fine. If it were handled well. Like i said, subtlety would have worked better here. Palmer is a bad character, and a lot of that comes from her being used as a hammer, for narrative purposes.
And considering how major character she is, why don't we get to know her any better really? What's her problem with scientists? That they created her? (This would make an interesting twist actually, that she actually hates being a Spartan, despite volunteering, like it wouldn't be what she imagined to be or something like that).

Palmer sharing the same, annoying to some, "dudebro" aspects, and in a way those are upped with her: no helmet, dual-wielding (not outside of Spartan's abilities really but neither it is a standard for them), solo mission, general attitude hurt her too. Is it too much to ask for a professional Spartan like we've used to see? There is a lot of leeway within limits of professionalism. OTOH, if 343i realizes it, they can use these later on for great effect, by deconstructing these, doubly so if they use Palmer for this. See what happens when "reality" ensues.
A problem with dudebro attitude Spartan IVs exhibit is that they're the only ones to do this in Halo 4, for no reason. Everything else is relatively professional, and that's the case for most Halos, some oddities aside.

SIVs (shivs?, that's my new nickname for Spartan IVs) having laid back attitude wouldn't be a problem in itself but it is exaggerated too much. Again, lack of subtlety. Or something. (And i've heard that special ops forces are in a way more laid back, but then they're highly capable people and motivated, their high-risk duties give them a bit more leeway when it comes to off-duty and general attitude, no?)

Del Rio works well in Halo 4, IMO, because we see someone in command who isn't actually suited for that (indeed, in-universe Del Rio seems to be excellent sort for logistics and other non-direct-command stuff, but complex situations that require snap decisions...). Of course, we are not explained this in-game, so all people see is horribly incompetent leader, not an officer who is out of his element, forced to his current command due to UNSC internal politics (which, by the way, could use more attention in the games too. Explain ONI and UNSC branches, stuff like that, so that people don't need EU to understand more. Also can be used for general depth in the story).

Lasky is badly handled, after more interesting Lasky we saw in the Forward Unto Dawn. There is a total disconnect between FUD and Halo 4 Lasky, IMO.

Dont add them regen points, it would make the matches longer and boring if the defending team is overcoming the offensive team.

Also I never played your gametypes :c

You can disable it if you want, actually they are by default ;)

And no one has actually played my gametype yet except for a failed test session, maybe I will hop on customs tomorrow with a more stable version, gotta get the maps ready too!

Edit: oh gametypes, actually I haven't too. I test my gametypes with another controller and that's it. I'd like to try VIP and Rush Slayer with some HaloGAFers.

Tzeentch

Dude, listen. Just. No. I don't know why you think people like her or even think everybody doesn't hate her. Everybody I know and know of hates or just tolerates her. She's just not a well designed character anyway from an objective standpoint.
-- The plural of anecdote is not proof.
-- For one, I don't hate her character so I guess that disproves your entire hypothesis that she is universally despised.

Woorloog

Banned
-- The plural of anecdote is not proof.
-- For one, I don't hate her character so I guess that disproves your entire hypothesis that she is universally despised.

Eh, are you defending Palmer or claiming she is a good character or what? Just for the record, i seem to have missed your opinion.

Simplest indication of Palmer being bad? People complain a lot about her and find her abrasive. She is discussed character. Controversial. But this controversy primarily arises her poor writing and use, not from her actions and motives (unlike... i don't know, Jaime Lannister? I'm not sure if Jaime is actually hated, but sure could be argued to be controversial. Suggest a better example if you can think someone EDIT and if you use an example, lets avoid spoilers and such, at least without proper spoiler-tags, yes?). EDIT Halsey herself is a great example: Controversial, very much so. Hated even. But this is from her actions and what she is, not because she is badly written, over the top, unprofessional, forced to focus, or whatever is claimed about Palmer. Except when written by Traviss, but that's another discussion.

EDIT oh, and Palmer has "Base Breaker" entry in TV tropes. The only Halo character to have that if i recall correctly... EDIT also got an entry in the list for Scrappys. The only Halo character for that.
EDIT oh, Arbiter had that too. Though i figure that's due to him being a playable alien, not due to the character itself.
Do note i have no idea how many Halo fans there are on TV Tropes. Just noting this.

Tzeentch

Eh, are you defending Palmer or claiming she is a good character or what? Just for the record, i seem to have missed your opinion.
-- You seem incapable of understanding a nuanced opinion when it comes to Palmer. I don't feel strongly about her at all.
Simplest indication of Palmer being bad? People complain a lot about her and find her abrasive. She is discussed character. Controversial.
-- I haven't done a count, but a handful of people taking every opportunity to say she sucks in this thread or on Waypoint isn't a powerful point of data. I would be interested to find out the continuum of feelings about her character, but it's not something I lose sleep about at night.

Computer

--
-- I haven't done a count, but a handful of people taking every opportunity to say she sucks in this thread or on Waypoint isn't a powerful point of data. night.

Actually having a majority of Halo nerds talking about how much they want Palmer to die off would be a good indication that she is not a well liked character as a whole.

Chettlar

Banned
-- You seem incapable of understanding a nuanced opinion when it comes to Palmer. I don't feel strongly about her at all.

-- I haven't done a count, but a handful of people taking every opportunity to say she sucks in this thread or on Waypoint isn't a powerful point of data. I would be interested to find out the continuum of feelings about her character, but it's not something I lose sleep about at night.

K. Somebody do a poll.

Woorloog

Banned
If she is so irrelevant for you, why do you care that others dislike her?
I can study and see her from multiple angles. I can see why someone might actually like her. I can actually see her as a good character, if i make some assumptions about her personality (something i do not like to do, because i prefer judging characters based on facts i know for sure, not my assumptions). And mostly, i don't care. She isn't, thankfully, really doing anything during the Halo 4 campaign. Don't claim i can't understand nuance. I just don't have much positive to say about her.

I'd say one's feelings about data points is much, much less powerful data point. Don't you think?

Let's make a proper poll. Ask mods to setup one on gaming side, or community or whatever. Or use one of those sites that allow making surveys. We should be able to get a good indication how people like her rather quickly, and after a few hundred votes, there won't be massive changes in percentages anymore*. Probably.

*It was really funny to note this one, after some 800 votes about something here on GAF, the percentages were basically frozen when i checked it again later on with 2000+ votes). Statistics are wonderful.

Havoc2049

I'm probably giving 343 too much credit here, but to me, it always seemed like Palmer was brainwashed by the anti-Halsey faction within ONI and the UNSC, whose aim is to discredit, shift blame and criminalize Halsey and the Spartan-II program and further their own careers by doing so. 343 kinda did this, as it seemed they turned the Chief into a Dirty Harry type character, where not only is he trying to solve the "big case", but he has the Mayor and Police Chief on his ass, calling him an over the hill dinosaur who isn't needed anymore, but at the end of the day he solves the case and saves everyone's ass. It would have been cool if 343 would have played that angle up better anyways. But since Palmer was the star in her own game, etc., that's probably not the case.

One can hope that the warring factions within ONI will battle it out for control and the good guys win in the end. So maybe in the end, Palmer will become more likable and join Halsey and the Master Chief or die fighting them..lol

FYC

Banned
GGs Zoso. Sorry we couldn't get the Ricochet achievement, but I'm glad you got Pitfall / Vertigo.

I've never played on Vertigo or whatever the map is called.

Don't even know what it looks or plays like :lol

It's pretty fun, but I don't think I've seen it in matchmaking since the Bullseye playlist until today. At least that Squad DLC playlist is coming soon!

Chettlar

Banned
I'm probably giving 343 too much credit here, but to me, it always seemed like Palmer was brainwashed by the anti-Halsey faction within ONI and the UNSC, whose aim is to discredit, shift blame and criminalize Halsey and the Spartan-II program and further their own careers by doing so. 343 kinda did this, as it seemed they turned the Chief into a Dirty Harry type character, where not only is he trying to solve the "big case", but he has the Mayor and Police Chief on his ass, calling him an over the hill dinosaur who isn't needed anymore, but at the end of the day he solves the case and saves everyone's ass. It would have been cool if 343 would have played that angle up better anyways. But since Palmer was the star in her own game, etc., that's probably not the case.

One can hope that the warring factions within ONI will battle it out for control and the good guys win in the end. So maybe in the end, Palmer will become more likable and join Halsey and the Master Chief or die fighting them..lol

This is what they should have done, but didn't do. Or if they meant to, they really didn't do a good job.

It's a great idea, but if that was their intention, their execution was abysmal.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm probably giving 343 too much credit here, but to me, it always seemed like Palmer was brainwashed by the anti-Halsey faction within ONI and the UNSC, whose aim is to discredit, shift blame and criminalize Halsey and the Spartan-II program and further their own careers by doing so.
This works, if you allow for assumptions. Which i don't allow for. Don't know 'bout you. EDIT or are you basing this on the comics? If so... well, fuck 343i for not making stuff clear in the game.
As i noted, she is a major character yet we don't know much about her really. If we knew more...

Top Bottom