• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I just don't see how they can afford to continue in the direction they took Halo. Look almost anywhere on the internet where there is anything Halo related and you can see that people just didn't like Halo 4.

If theres one thing Halo 4 did it is unite most of the fan base under one banner of a 1-3 style Halo... no longer are people so divided about going back to Halo 1, 2 or 3 in particular, it's all about even starts, good maps , no annoying and unnecessary mechanics, and having to fight for map control and power weapon control to win. I just hope they respond to this and don't just force their vision down our throats again. Halo needs to be Halo.

Halo 4 is more about enduring annoying game mechanics especially in big team or gametypes that don't limit the bullshit.

Also join in progress is broken as fuck.

I really, REALLY hope 343 is taking note of that.

You think that might have had something to do with the fact that, according to those rumors, 343 recently started over on Halo 5? As in, they were previously continuing the direction of 4 but said "screw it, we can't do this now what with all the disapproval of Halo 4 by the fans" to some degree?
Any links to this? I thought the only thing said was H2A would be coming out this year and that Halo 5 would be pushed into 2015 to allow for more dev time, but didn't hear anything about having to start over.

belushy

Banned
64 might be a bit too much, but I think 16v16 would be fun. I always felt like Infinity was made with a bigger playbase in mind. Also having large maps with falcons and (flyable) Pelicans would be pretty sweet.

Chettlar

Banned
^ That is easily fixed. Just make sure there are no DMRs on 4v4 maps.

Any links to this? I thought the only thing said was H2A would be coming out this year and that Halo 5 would be pushed into 2015 to allow for more dev time, but didn't hear anything about having to start over.

I don't have time to go searching now, but I was sure it was famousmortimer or somebody. Can't remember which thread. I keep feeling like it was the one where ntkrnl spilled, like, all the beans, but that doesn't quite sound right.

Does anybody else remember something like that? Something about Halo 5 restarting production fairly-ish recently?

So I could sit in a locked Cobra all match sniping people from deeeeep or dominating the skies with a Hawk.

64 players is too much, but I'd love to see a Halo multiplayer that incorporates all vehicles.

I honestly think a single playlist for 32 v 32 Giant Team Battle, or whatever you'd call it, with all the vehicles (including falcons and bansees and wraiths and scorpains and everything, could possibly be pretty cool.

But just one playlist because, while it'd have the potential to be fun, it really wouldn't be "Halo." Still the potential to be fun enough to warrant a single playlist, I would think.

TheOddOne

64 players seems like something that could be done, because it can be done. Insert "The Cloud", "Increased horse power of XB1" and "Evolving" in the press release and there is the justification.

Classic Halo is dad. Sorry.

Chettlar

Banned
64 players seems like something that could be done, because it can be done. Insert "The Cloud", "Increased horse power of XB1" and "Evolving" in the press release and there is the justification.

Classic Halo is dad. Sorry.

whynotboth.gif

Seriously though, if MS really wants to show off the power of the cloud, this would be the perfect place to do it. 64 player multiplayer simply needs to be online, unlike other things, so the cloud, which is online, is perfectly suited. It's not like single player or whatever, where you don't need the cloud necessarily. In multiplayer, you need the internet anyway, so why not?

I'm so relaxed.

I'm writing music for some stuff, and I think I accidentally stole a chord progression. My best guess is either Halo or Star Wars. Does anyone recognize it?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s12y71LNUorh

I don't know much about Star Wars, but it sounds like an abridged version of the main To Galaxy melody to me.

Oddly enough, it also reminds me of one of my own melodies which I just refer to as "Archrival." It kicks up pretty clearly around 0:30 here.

My other guesses would have to be that you were subconsciously basing it on the backing vocals of In Amber Clad around the 35 second mark, albeit they're pretty faint. Note lengths are about the same, just slowed down, though. I'm checking all of the obvious places right now and can't find anything immediate in the Halo soundtracks. The only other place in Halo I'm hearing a source for that melody is that you possibly merged the repeating piano chords and opening, two-note string riff in ODST's Cast Aside, but I think you should be safe on the Halo front. It sounds a little more Star Wars-y to me, but I don't have too much experience with those soundtracks.

That being said, you may want to flip through the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack, because I figured out that's what I subconsciously used for Archrival as a reference. Demise of the Ceremony's opening melody sounds slightly similar.

daedalius

6v6 titanfall is fine, I doubt we need to ever go beyond 8v8 in Halo.

You're just reducing the impact you can have as an individual on a match after that. Hell its hard even when its 8v8.

jelly

Will 343/Certain Affinity be able to fix the narrow field of view in Halo 2 and Halo 3 if the rumours are true on that port ?

Madness

32vs32 in Halo? Geez. What semblance of the game would even exist? You'd basically just have small groups of players separate from the rest in each area of the map. How would weapon spawns, player spawns, vehicles even work anymore? Can you imagine driving a ghost and having 15 players each shoot at you?

Chettlar

Banned
@Madness. I don't think anybody is suggesting making that the norm. A single playlist for it wouldn't be awful.

BTB really isn't as good as 4v4, but it's still pretty fun. And it's relegated to mostly it's own single playlist. GTB (giant team battle), would probably be fine if kept in one single playlist.

Any more than that would be awful. That's not where Halo needs to go.

Will 343/Certain Affinity be able to fix the narrow field of view in Halo 2 and Halo 3 if the rumours are true on that port ?

Oh, they'd certainly be able to. It's really more of a matter of "will they?"

I really, really hope so.

32vs32 in Halo? Geez. What semblance of the game would even exist? You'd basically just have small groups of players separate from the rest in each area of the map. How would weapon spawns, player spawns, vehicles even work anymore? Can you imagine driving a ghost and having 15 players each shoot at you?

Like the real game?

You're just reducing the impact you can have as an individual on a match after that.
This was reduced since Halo 2's release, and a single person can hardly make a difference other than distracting/setting up for other teammates in BTB against competent players anyway.
I certainly hope so.. It's crazy how limited the FOV is/was.
@Madness. I don't think anybody is suggesting making that the norm. A single playlist for it wouldn't be awful.
A single playlist would be a waste of resources and development time. It would be better served as a spin-off title or fully realized as half of the multiplayer experience. So either half of Halo 5's multiplayer would be 2v2/4v4 while the other half would be 8v8/10v10.

Something like that would make more sense than just a single playlist. As far as total map count, nothing less than 15-20 IMO. They need to make that a priority and not waste time overthinking a single map's artistic/gameplay design. Just throw some shit together and call it a day; I doubt the 2 people who worked on CE's multiplayer took months/years to figure this out.

I don't imagine it would work because it would be so convoluted, a lot of BTB maps that have weapons on maps have about over dozen weapons that aren't power weapons , so you have to provided weapons and a great variety of weapons to 64 players or even 32 players , and power weapons would need to be plentiful , but that in itself would mean dying by rockets and being sniped from longer ranges a lot more than usually. Player spawns would be pretty terrible . I can see it being like Heavies but way worse .

The only way I can see it work would be having a squad based spawn system like invasion mixed with a spawn system from Section 8 and a in game currency system so you can drop in vehicles ( having them at set spawns could be annoying unless the players would always spawn at a base) , and possibly able to spawn with weaker versions of power weapons like a single shot RL that does less damage to players and vehicles than a normal RL would.

Chettlar

Banned
How much is currently dedicated to BTB? Just do that, but make it 64 (or maybe only 32) and call it GTB.

I was under the impression that BTB only gets a few playlists.

I don't imagine it would work because it would be so convoluted, a lot of BTB maps that have weapons on maps have about over dozen weapons that aren't power weapons , so you have to provided weapons and a great variety of weapons to 64 players or even 32 players , and power weapons would need to be plentiful , but that in itself would mean dying by rockets and being sniped from longer ranges a lot more than usually. Player spawns would be pretty terrible . I can see it being like Heavies but way worse .

The only way I can see it work would be having a squad based spawn system like invasion mixed with a spawn system from Section 8 and a in game currency system so you can drop in vehicles ( having them at set spawns could be annoying unless the players would always spawn at a base) , and possibly able to spawn with weaker versions of power weapons like a single shot RL that does less damage to players and vehicles than a normal RL would.

To the bolded, why? I mean, you said "they'd have to do this" and then just explained why it was a bad thing. Why would they do it in the first place?

How much is currently dedicated to BTB? Just do that, but make it 64 (or maybe only 32) and call it GTB.

I was under the impression that BTB only gets a few playlists.

To the bolded, why? I mean, you said "they'd have to do this" and then just explained why it was a bad thing. Why would they do it in the first place?

I saying if they do it like a normal halo game like placing weapons on maps they will need to be enough power weapons for increased number of vehicles there's about 4 warthogs a few mongoose and some other vehicles for a normal BTB map , but with 64 or 32 players it will have to increase the number of vehicles for a number of reasons. But because of the increased number of power weapons a infantry player would die a lot by them like in heavies but more then usual that's why I gave reasons that it could work, but it would play much different and add concepts that isn't familiar to halo .

Chettlar

Banned
Question: Guys, I'm doing the Goat Simulator OT (lol why not). OTs go up a week before the actual game release at most right? (So in other words I'm good to go right now, correct?)

I saying if they do it like a normal halo game like placing weapons on maps they will need to be enough power weapons for increased number of vehicles there's about 4 warthogs a few mongoose and some other vehicles for a normal BTB map , but with 64 or 32 players it will have to increase the number of vehicles for a number of reasons. But because of the increased number of power weapons a infantry player would die a lot by them like in heavies but more then usual that's why I gave reasons that it could work, but it would play much different and add concepts that isn't familiar to halo .

Right, but they wouldn't do it without thinking. You don't raise power weapons at the same rate as others. There definitely would need to be more, but you don't need to add just as many power weapons as players. Not even close to that.

Oh, so this is the new HaloGAF thread.

Shhhhhh.

Mistel

Banned
You don't actually play big team do you? That just sounds like a horrid nightmare that should never happen considering the nature of the beast.

Question: Guys, I'm doing the Goat Simulator OT (lol why not). OTs go up a week before the actual game release at most right? (So in other words I'm good to go right now, correct?)

Right, but they wouldn't do it without thinking. You don't raise power weapons at the same rate as others. There definitely would need to be more, but you don't need to add just as many power weapons as players. Not even close to that.

Shhhhhh.

I never thought or said it should , but there needs to be a lot of power weapons way more then what most people are use to dealing with.

CyReN

Ogre 2 retires, comments on recent Halo too.

2n8trZ0.jpg

Chettlar

Banned
I never thought or said it should , but there needs to be a lot of power weapons way more then what most people are use to dealing with.

I'm saying, yes you should increase them, but not significantly. I don't see why you couldn't still keep the number only slightly hire than normal.

The big emphasis would be on vehicles and things.

I know it's hard to say everything exactly on message, but " Halo 1 never had multiplayer in the truest sense, so it always was going to be something different", he knows how to wound unintentionally.

There are people for whom Halo 1 multiplayer to them as Halo 2's is to most.
Would love to see what he'd have said if pressed on 2's Campaign.

wwm0nkey

I know it's hard to say everything exactly on message, but " Halo 1 never had multiplayer in the truest sense, so it always was going to be something different", he knows how to wound unintentionally.

There are people for whom Halo 1 multiplayer to them as Halo 2's is to most.
I think he ment MP systems like Matchmaking and ect.

I think he ment MP systems like Matchmaking and ect.
Yes, of course, I do assume he was referring to that.
That means his definition of multiplayer is a bit slim [or more likely he spoke without fully clarifying / pausing].

Again not cruxifying him, but you can't have been through the ringer here on the Anniversary multiplayer discussions and Big Show's broken heart without looking at that comment ruefully.

Top Bottom