• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Havoc2049

This works, if you allow for assumptions. Which i don't allow for. Don't know 'bout you. EDIT or are you basing this on the comics? If so... well, fuck 343i for not making stuff clear in the game.
As i noted, she is a major character yet we don't know much about her really. If we knew more...

Na, I really enjoyed Ghosts of Onyx and I just started reading the Kilo-Five Trilogy, which I'm enjoying so far (on chapter four of the first book). :) Might get the comics that she is in one day, but like most, not really a big fan of Palmer.

Is Joe Staten at 343 or is he just with Microsoft Game Studios? It would be cool if he works on Halo 5.

CyReN

1972385_603915869694377_500388637_n.jpg

amazing.

Sofa King

Let's make a proper poll. Ask mods to setup one on gaming side, or community or whatever. Or use one of those sites that allow making surveys. We should be able to get a good indication how people like her rather quickly, and after a few hundred votes, there won't be massive changes in percentages anymore*. Probably.

Example:
Halo fan, how do you feel about Sarah Palmer?
A-love her
B-she's ok
C-no opinion
D-not fond of her
E-Jar Jar Binks level hatred (slow painful death needed for cleansing purposes of franchise)

Chettlar

Banned
Example:
A-love her
B-she's ok
C-no opinion
D-not fond of her
E-Jar Jar Binks level hatred (slow painful death needed for cleansing purposes of franchise)

Being reasonable, I would probably but an option between D and E. Just because I think some might not be all for going E, but D doesn't really say.

A - Absolutely Love Her
B - She's pretty good
C - She's ok I guess
D - No opinion
E - Not really fond of her
F - Actively do not like her
G - Jar Jar Binks level hatred (slow painful death needed for cleansing purposes of franchise)

I have a feeling we'll get most of the votes in F, G, and E in order.

Tzeentch

If she is so irrelevant for you, why do you care that others dislike her?
-- I never said irrelevant. I said I don't have a strong feeling about her. Given what you've said in this thread, I don't believe you have any real interest in seriously discussing this topic.

Random17

F - Actively do not like her, or most of the Spartan IV's.

She was fine in the Campaign, but then again, so were most of the Halo 4 characters. My disagreements started in Spartan Ops.

She's arrogant and disliked anyone more intelligent than herself, with an exception to Lasky. She had terrible aim for a Spartan (she managed to hit Halsey in the shoulder, not the head). She also had the urge to not wear a helmet in combat zones until the end of Spartan Ops, which was somewhat bizarre. Her instinctual response to pacify the Forerunner artifact was to kick it.

It doesn't have to be this way. 343i has shown that they know how to do characters with the Master Chief-Cortana episodes in the Campaign. Why wasn't this the case in Spartan Ops?

GGs Zoso. Sorry we couldn't get the Ricochet achievement, but I'm glad you got Pitfall / Vertigo.

It's pretty fun, but I don't think I've seen it in matchmaking since the Bullseye playlist until today. At least that Squad DLC playlist is coming soon!
Yep, thanks for your help. That ricochet one is tough to get to happen legitimately, it's hard to set up to be able to assassinate the dude right before he scores. Or I suck, it's one of the two.

She was fine in the Campaign, but then again, so were most of the Halo 4 characters. My disagreements started in Spartan Ops.

She's arrogant and disliked anyone more intelligent than herself, with an exception to Lasky. She had terrible aim for a Spartan (she managed to hit Halsey in the shoulder, not the head). She also had the urge to not wear a helmet in combat zones until the end of Spartan Ops, which was somewhat bizarre. Her instinctual response to pacify the Forerunner artifact was to kick it.

It doesn't have to be this way. 343i has shown that they know how to do characters with the Master Chief-Cortana episodes in the Campaign. Why wasn't this the case in Spartan Ops?

Standart protagonist never wear a helmet, Halo was an exception in so many things until Reach happened to show us a human side from the spartans which I never wanted to see.

Spartans were perfect soldiers, why suddenly put us a entire cast of spartans who prefer to take off their helmets in the middle of a discussion and being less militar than the marines itself, where are they going with this idea.

Madness

-- You seem incapable of understanding a nuanced opinion when it comes to Palmer. I don't feel strongly about her at all.

-- I haven't done a count, but a handful of people taking every opportunity to say she sucks in this thread or on Waypoint isn't a powerful point of data. I would be interested to find out the continuum of feelings about her character, but it's not something I lose sleep about at night.

You're still not understanding. Most who post don't actively care enough to have an opinion. I highly doubt the majority like her, and yet just never post about her. She isn't a fan favorite by any stretch of the imagination.

You can extrapolate those handful of people on Halo communities to get a general idea of how her character was received, and it was not well. You usually only get one chance. Instead, Palmer is still pushed and pushed on the fans.

I have no doubt if she was written better, with better dialogue, she would have been received better, but she wasn't. I honestly don't care anymore about her. That's not very good for the series if they're trying to make her a main character. I'm not invested in her character, I don't like her, and probably wouldn't care if they shelved her or killed her off. Obviously my own anecdotal opinion. I think Lasky is better received because he had Forward Unto Dawn and because his character was written as more sympathetic to our hero, and had better dialogue.

No amount of rewriting of palmers character can help her. She is a horrible one dimension character that is beyond redeeming.
Why she continues to get the spotlight in comics/games is confusing.

Random17

Standart protagonist never wear a helmet, Halo was an exception in so many things until Reach happened to show us a human side from the spartans which I never wanted to see.

Spartans were perfect soldiers, why suddenly put us a entire cast of spartans who prefer to take off their helmets in the middle of a discussion and being less militar than the marines itself, where are they going with this idea.

At least they wore their helmets in combat scenarios, although that didn't seem to help in Kat's case, quite stupidly, I might add.

And I agree, by humanizing the Spartans*, they've basically turned them into glorified Marines. I'm not even going to say ODST's, because Dare's squad is above them.

I liked Thorne and the Scottish Spartan Grant; they were sensible, even if they were rookies.

*Sigh*. They did the MC fairly well in the Campaign, managed to pull something out of a faceless character whose only emotion was "awesome" or "watch this".

*It can be done, although so far it has been done quite badly.

Juan

Example:
A-love her
B-she's ok
C-no opinion
D-not fond of her

If it was only about the campaign, I would say B.

I mean, she was okay, even a funny character when she told the chief she thought he was taller. I could like her even more if she has been figthing with us against the prometheans during the campaign, giving the Chief a gun during a cinematic and saying something like "Cover me Chief".

She could have been a solid character, a perfect fusion between Miranda and Johnson, adding a touch of her personnality during the Spartan Ops.

I don't really understand why 343 Industries tried to create a solid female character that everyone would hate during the Spartan Ops. She was cool when she said it was not her first rodeo, orders before everything else, but her attitude with the scientist was really a poor stereotype. Sad thing.

Which playlist is it ?

Woorloog

Banned
-- I never said irrelevant. I said I don't have a strong feeling about her. Given what you've said in this thread, I don't believe you have any real interest in seriously discussing this topic.

Perhaps not the best choice of words. So your opinion is that you don't mind her but don't find her special either. If so, why don't you just state that?
As for general opinion, it is anti-Palmer though. Since Halo 4 launch, that has been the opinion in HaloGAF. Not 100% of course, but those who have something to say about her, dislike her. I do not recall anyone praising her in any way, ever nor anywhere. Have you?
I'd say that's a good indication, along with everything else, that she is disliked (bad character or not). And before you call that anecdote, i'll note anything you say is also anecdote.
Don't claim i'm not the one interested in discussing this, i'm the one who writes relatively detailed reasons why i find her bad, and why i think people find her bad.

No amount of rewriting of palmers character can help her. She is a horrible one dimension character that is beyond redeeming.
Why she continues to get the spotlight in comics/games is confusing.

I wouldn't call her irredeemable, but it must be done in a game, not expanded universe material. And whatever is done, should explain her previous mannerisms and actions and motives. Flesh her out. If that doesn't work, if 343i thought that would make her likeable but didn't, then kill her off.
Or just kill her off. Wasting time fleshing her out isn't probably worth the time.
I don't care either way really.

I wouldn't call her irredeemable, but it must be done in a game, not expanded universe material. And whatever is done, should explain her previous mannerisms and actions and motives. Flesh her out. If that doesn't work, if 343i thought that would make her likeable but didn't, then kill her off.
Or just kill her off. Wasting time fleshing her out isn't probably worth the time.
I don't care either way really.
I think at this point it would be to little to late, the damage is done. Fleshing her out would require more game/novel time for Palmer and as you know the general community either out right hates her or doesn't care for her. It would feel like we are been spoon fed Palmer stuff yet again, why waste game time/another book fleshing out a character that is very disliked by the community when 343 could use it to further the universe with more interesting and likable characters.
Let Linda or Kelly take Palmers spot.

You guys know hate is an emotion too, right? 343 wants to bring us to such an extreme that any little thing she does to help Chief in the right moment will, if executed properly, turn Palmer into a powerful female figure to replace Cortana's role in this franchise.

They're going to create her into Chief's new AI
love interest.
Palmer was kinda hot tho so....
'Tis what I've been saying all along!
What was wrong with this game Bungie? ;'[

Chettlar

Banned
I for one am not complaining about her hate for Halsey or whoever. I'm not complaining that she's an overall bitch even.

I'm complaining that she's a badly done, one dimensional character with no soul. There is no reason to like her. She wouldn't even make a good villain, because she's done so bad.

Fuchsdh

Well, Spartan Ops was written by someone different than the campaign.

As to the helmet thing, I don't see why 343i (and Bungie) have to relearn this. They figured out the perfect way to see character's faces in ODST--polarize/depolarize their visors. If you design large Chief-style visors then there's no issues.

Chettlar

Banned
Well, Spartan Ops was written by someone different than the campaign.

As to the helmet thing, I don't see why 343i (and Bungie) have to relearn this. They figured out the perfect way to see character's faces in ODST--polarize/depolarize their visors. If you design large Chief-style visors then there's no issues.

Such a cool thing to add. For some reason helped everything feel more badass.

Really? Well if whiny and annoying are your thing who is to prevent you from desiring that...

More like giant amazon athletic women with dark hair are my thing.

Unless she's yelling "Eeeeegggggheeaaaaaaaaaaads" while in the bedroom, I think I could do it.

Oh god she probably does that. "PUSH THAT BUTTON SPARTAN!"

More like giant amazon athletic women with dark hair are my thing.

Unless she's yelling "Eeeeegggggheeaaaaaaaaaaads" while in the bedroom, I think I could do it.

Oh god she probably does that. "PUSH THAT BUTTON SPARTAN!"
Crimson! Crimson! *climax*

Then afterwords, "I thought you'd be taller".

Smh

Roflobear

Anyone here still hop on Halo 3? I just picked it up for $4 at a local resale shop and I found a free 3-month gold pass lying around.

I'm curious about this, Halo Reach as well. I've been playing a ton of Titanfall lately and for some reason it's gotten me in the mood to play Halo

Fuchsdh

Ugh. HaloFollower is posting fake ads for H2A on other gaming videos (this one was Minecraft related?)

mXGwISz.jpg

Customs still a go for tonight, 9PM eastern. Be there. Aloha.

Chettlar

Banned
Ugh. HaloFollower is posting fake ads for H2A on other gaming videos (this one was Minecraft related?)

mXGwISz.jpg

Customs still a go for tonight, 9PM eastern. Be there. Aloha.

So I went to go see what little old HaloFollower was up to, and man, his voice is way different. Anyway, he mentioned this. Kind of...interesting. I mean, usually he just reports a lot of dumb speculation, but this is interesting:

Walmart:

Halo 5, a Microsoft console exclusive, is a pre-release general shooter game to be released in December of 2014.
More information is on the way! Check back soon!

What the heck does that mean? This is the official Walmart site too.

EDIT: Hm, he's got another guy one there. A lot better than the main guy. He makes a lot of sense around 2:30.

Parphrased:

Infinity Slayer, if anything, ought to be a social slayer, not ranked slayer. The reason is that Infinity slayer is much more based on casuals, thus it makes no sense to have a system (ranking) in which you are matched up against better and better players if the playlist's (infinity slayer) very purpose is to level the playing field

That really makes a lot of sense I thought. Click the link if I didn't repeat it clearly.

So I went to go see what little old HaloFollower was up to, and man, his voice is way different. Anyway, he mentioned this. Kind of...interesting. I mean, usually he just reports a lot of dumb speculation, but this is interesting:

Walmart:

What the heck does that mean? This is the official Walmart site too.

This means fucking nothing. Basically Walmart decided the E3 Halo announcement was Halo 5 and set the last month of the year as a date so they can start taking preorders. Then they just push it forward when something new is announced.

Tzeentch

This means fucking nothing. Basically Walmart decided the E3 Halo announcement was Halo 5 and set the last month of the year as a date so they can start taking preorders. Then they just push it forward when something new is announced.
-- Amazon does the same thing. Sometimes they're so lazy they don't want to change their asspull release dates after the fact (more of a problem for books than video games).

Halofollower logic:
If you freeze the halo Xbox one trailer at 1:24 you can see a lot of sand. Now keep this in mind as I'll mention it later. But if you go to 1:34 and zoom in to the right, put the image upside down and then filter it. It kind of looks like a cow or dog or possibly a brand new UNSC vehicle, so that's pretty much confirmed. Now sand, sand was on the ark. Sands also in Africa, Africa starts with the letter a. Just like Assault on the control room. Now this is just speculation but I'm pretty confident that confirms the presence of a precursor in halo 5 which due to a mistake from Walmart has been announced for December.
This is HaloFollower stay tuned for more crazy halo theory's.

I'm going to start a Halo News youtube channel which is basically

"fuck all this month guys, nerds pants exploded because phil spencer smiled after he didnt directly state H2:A was not in development. Tune in next week for no new news but more nerdgasms"

Chettlar

Banned

No, I meant the "pre-release general shooter" part.

What? What does that mean? Pre-release to what? Is it talking about beta?

Stop giving that halo follower guy clicks.

I'm sowwy.

But nah, I actually am glad I saw that other video about it being counter-intuitive for infinity slayer to be ranked. Put a light on it I hadn't really thought of before, and it's a very solid argument too.

The guy is hilarious though, as Zealot on the last page mentioned.

Top Bottom