• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

The Flash

Banned
O7luvkf.png

Chettlar

Banned
So, my mission idea.
The ideal mission for a Pelican Gunship, or any other gunship, with multiple crews.

Trench Run

XwsEtML.png

Beautiful map, not to scale as it says.
The circle is a volcanic plateau/mesa, with a crater/pit in the middle with a Covenant base.
There is a lava river in the bottom of the canyon.

The idea is that there is a Covenant Super-Spire (a Spire augmented with Promethean tech) in the middle, with massive geothermal power plant. It projects a shield just like a normal Spire that covers the entire large mesa. The shield prevents aircraft from moving through it (remember the EMP effect of the Spire shield from Reach?) and the entire mesa is dotted with Covenant AAA batteries and other defenses, including weapons that can fire orbiting ships too, all of them drawing power from the massive power plant. And worse, as the Covies upgrade the Spire and bring up more systems, it becomes stronger and projects a cloaking field and sensor disruption network that will cover the entire mesa, and makes orbital bombardment very difficult. The idea defensive position, and the UNSC can't let the Covies gain foothold on the planet.

The single canyon that connects to the middle is the only way in or out, not counting the Spire's teleportation capabilities. The Covies have defenses in the canyon but these are not quite as heavy as else where on the mesa, as the Covenant assumes no one is crazy enough to try to punch through the canyon (extremely difficult for ground forces, and the limited space makes it difficult for aircraft too).
Naturally that is the way in for the players. Using a Pelican Gunship. Fly fast, shoot everything, watch out for archways, stalagmites and whatever else.
Strategies include mad-dash through the canyon, or methodical "kill 'em all", or whatever you can think of.

The trench run consist 4 sections: the beginning, which is relatively straightforward, the "Curve", a curved section adding to the difficult, the split where you must choose between two routes (different defenses) and the base, which is guarded by an upgraded Scarab with better internal defenses and more AA guns (either shoot the thing until it blows up or board it, just like before).
Once the defensive shield and guns are down, you get massive ODST reinforcements to mop up the rest of the defenders.

The canyon isn't super wide, and is filled with stalagmites, archways, ramps, tunnels, Covenant buildings and turrets, and other features. The bottom has a lava river, making it difficult for ground forces to move through the canyon but not impossible.
Enemies can be found on multiple levels, and there are enemy ground and air vehicles, and a Scarab boss.
Going too high causes the defensive network to shoot you down.

For added replayability, the mission begins in a UNSC ship hangar, with various weapons (pick whatever you want, the weapons have extra ammo, you ain't getting more UNSC weapons during the mission)... and various vehicles for the mission. The standard method is, of course, to use a Pelican Gunship. But there are alternatives: Falcons/Hornets/Sparrowhawks/other UNSC aircraft, and Warthogs/Scorpions/other ground vehicles for optional ground-attack hard mode. Picking ground causes AI flown Pelican to deliver the players to the entrance of the Canyon.
And when i say it is "hard mode", i mean it, the mission should be considerably more difficult with ground forces.
Of course, in co-op one can mix and match, Pelican Gunship, a Hornet and a Scorpion.

And that's how a Pelican Gunship mission should be done.

I like it.

Hm. Kinda makes me want to make a "Describe a perfect level" thread.

wwm0nkey

Chiefs back in those new Halo comics

HALOES-8-FC-FNL-134a0.jpg

The Master Chief returns in “The Next 72 Hours: Part 1”! After defeating the Didact, John-117 joined the crew of Infinity . . . but why did he leave? The mystery begins here. Halo® lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) reveals the secret events that immediately follow the end of Halo 4.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member

Looking at that pic, kinda makes me want to have the ability to go prone with a sniper in Halo. Not so much so that I can do it, more so for the fact that it would make for many easy targets in Team Snipers. I'm interested to see what Chiefs been up to. Hopefully this, and the other forms of coming media will shed tons of light on it.

Omni

God I wish that they'd think of a better way of developing the story than these shitty comics.

Give me a 400 page book over them any day. I don't even want to waste my money paying for them... but I know if I don't, I'm going to miss out on important bits and pieces. ahwdkjs

I have Xbox One now, and no idea how anything works. Can you not send voice messages anymore? I have the headphone adapter; are the buttons on it the only way to control whether game audio comes out of the controller? I also picked up Spartan Assault and need a partner to do the co-op.

So there's a potential Halo announcement today? Neato.

Omni

And the armor too. It's just ugly worse than the sniper.

I think it's alright. Just the chest piece is weird

If they used the chest of Halo 3's MK VI then I'd think it would look pretty solid. The redesigned helmet should have been kept for the MK VII of course... but I don't think it's too bad. Could have been a hell of a lot worse if some of the other crap they slaughtered in the redesign process is anything to go by.

ElRenoRaven

I have Xbox One now, and no idea how anything works. Can you not send voice messages anymore? I have the headphone adapter; are the buttons on it the only way to control whether game audio comes out of the controller? I also picked up Spartan Assault and need a partner to do the co-op.

So there's a potential Halo announcement today? Neato.

Nope. It's certainly a step back. The xbone has a lot of potential and is damn fun thanks to the tv pass through etc but OS wise it was a huge step back. Slowly they're improving things and hopefully that will be one of the things they bring back.

I think it's alright. Just the chest piece is weird

If they used the chest of Halo 3's MK VI then I'd think it would look pretty solid. The redesigned helmet should have been kept for the MK VII of course... but I don't think it's too bad. Could have been a hell of a lot worse if some of the other crap they slaughtered in the redesign process is anything to go by.

I still think design wise Halo 2 Chief followed closely by halo 3 chief followed by 4. The Halo 4 design would be 100 percent fine with me if they just reduced the thrust er size on his back. That just really stands out and not in a good way. More so when you have a weapon hanging off it. I wouldn't mind though if they did go back to the more Halo 2 & 3 style chest piece. But if they don't ever do that then just reduce the thruster size and we'll be all good 343.

"After defeating the Didact [with a QTE Pulse Grenade]" it should have read. That will never be forgotten.. It felt like they were rushed and forgot to figure out that last encounter, so they were just like "Ohh ohh, time's running out! What should we do with this scene?"

Stinkles: "Throw the Didact into the sun?"
Someone else
(probably the same person who allowed the Camo AA)
: "We can't do that twice.. Let's have the player put the weakest grenade known in the history of Halo created by the most advanced alien species known in the history of Halo on the chest of the Didact to kill the most powerful being in the history of Halo."
Microsoft/343 suits: "Ship it."

B]

Woorloog

Banned
I very much doubt the Didact is dead. I mean, it was a fucking pulse grenade.
The pulse did some damage to his armor and pushed him off the light bridge, and he fell to the slipspace portal below. He ain't dead.

EDIT wait, is this something that should be spoilered?

Omni

I still think design wise Halo 2 Chief followed closely by halo 3 chief followed by 4. The Halo 4 design would be 100 percent fine with me if they just reduced the thrust er size on his back. That just really stands out and not in a good way. More so when you have a weapon hanging off it. I wouldn't mind though if they did go back to the more Halo 2 & 3 style chest piece. But if they don't ever do that then just reduce the thruster size and we'll be all good 343.
That part never really bothered me to be honest. The fact that the thruster pack added thrusters on top of the thrusters did however. Would have been so cool if the thrusters worked like they did in the 2011 announcement trailer

"After defeating the Didact [with a QTE Pulse Grenade]" it should have read. That will never be forgotten.. It felt like they were rushed and forgot to figure out that last encounter, so they were just like "Ohh ohh, time's running out! What should we do with this scene?"

Stinkles: "Throw the Didact into the sun?"
Someone else
(probably the same person who allowed the Camo AA)
: "We can't do that twice.. Let's have the player put the weakest grenade known in the history of Halo created by the most advanced alien species known in the history of Halo on the chest of the Didact to kill the most powerful being in the history of Halo."
Microsoft/343 suits: "Ship it."

B]
More like the same guy who put a predator missile from Call of Duty in the campaign thought it would be cool to copy the endings as well ("press x to magically beat the bad guy while near death"), Promethean grenades being the only plausible explosive at that point of the campaign

Woorloog

Banned
That part never really bothered me to be honest. The fact that the thrusters pack added thrusters on top of the thrusters did however. Would have been so cool if the thrusters worked like they did in the 2011 announcement trailer

The Chief should have double jump in campaign. One press, jump, second press activates thrusters. Also sliding: sprint, crouch to slide, animation shows thrusters juts because!
I mean, why not?

EDIT i'll repeat, these should be campaign-only stuff. Perhaps for customs. But not in normal matchmaking, and this includes sprint.

I very much doubt the Didact is dead. I mean, it was a fucking pulse grenade.
The pulse did some damage to his armor and pushed him off the light bridge, and he fell to the slipspace portal below. He ain't dead.

EDIT wait, is this something that should be spoilered?

Doesn't have to be spoiler tagged IMO. As far as the Didact being alive, maybe he fell into a slipspace portal and will return with Jorge, keeping him as hostage ;]

I'd just really like to see m'dude Jorge again, along with several other Spartan-II's; they're so badass.

ElRenoRaven

Doesn't have to be spoiler tagged IMO. As far as the Didact being alive, maybe he fell into a slipspace portal and will return with Jorge, keeping him as hostage ;]

I'd just really like to see m'dude Jorge again, along with several other Spartan-II's; they're so badass.

No I hear he's going to return along side Jorge who he broke to finish what he started which is destroying the Spartans.

TheOddOne

Can it fall any further??
If you distill Halo down to its core roots, you will find that it’s actually an anime dating game. They going to embrace its true roots and it’s going to be kawaii as fuck.

Then it becomes another IP in the vault, like MechWarrior, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing and Age Of Empires.

I dunno where you're going with that metaphor but that milk tastes awesome.
hahah Yup, and to go into further detail:

• Halo CE: The excitement of making a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch then the enjoyment of those first several bites.
  • Halo 2: The continuing journey as you happily devour that cereal.
  • Halo 3: You are now reaching the end of your bowl but you don't know it because you're enjoying life so much. You may or may not understand that these last few spoons are really causing you harm because in a moment's notice, something unexpected will happen....
  • Reach = ....the unexpected happened. You are now pretty much at the end of your bowl with a few bites left and did not realize.
  • Halo 4: You are now aware that the next 2 bites will be your last, so what else do you have left to hold onto? What else is there for your enjoyment out of this bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch? Is there anything left to look forward to? An overwhelming sense of depression starts to kick in.
  • Halo 2 Anniversary You read a random post on HaloGAF from your friendly neighborhood UNKNOWN as you realize that you have this beautiful bowl of leftover milk filled with remnants of the Cinnamon Toast Crunch that you've devoured for what felt like an eternity. Hope fills your heart.
  • Halo 5:
    You make a second bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and the process repeats itself.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I meant it as a beautiful thing of redemption.

Top Bottom