• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
I have to say, despite some of the wonky vehicle designs I liked the concept of the Broadsword. If the UNSC has a Longsword fighter it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume they've got a Broad model.

You do know the UNSC spacecraft/suborbitals are named after swords, not because they have any other relation to each other? The Broadsword is a small single-ship space fighter, more akin to the Sabre than the Longsword, which is... big.

(Halo PC Custom Edition had custom maps with "Broadswords", basically slightly modified Longswords (and how they were modified i can't recall. Scaled up? Different internals? Weapons?). Usually armed with nukes if i recall correctly, at least one version had the nuke launch voice from Starcraft...)

Mistel

Banned
I thought JARVIS in the comics wants to be romantically involved with Pepper? So he is replaced by PEPPER after being killed.

You do know the UNSC spacecraft/suborbitals are named after swords, not because they have any other relation to each other? The Broadsword is a small single-ship space fighter, more akin to the Sabre than the Longsword, which is... big.

(Halo PC Custom Edition had custom maps with "Broadswords", basically slightly modified Longswords (and how they were modified i can't recall. Scaled up? Different internals? Weapons?). Usually armed with nukes if i recall correctly, at least one version had the nuke launch voice from Starcraft...)

I know, that's why I'm saying it was a reasonable jump to make canonically. When the Broadsword first popped by name in - Composer, I think it was? - it was a fun little moment for me. It was just like "oh, that's cute! it's probably the most canonically grounded thing I've seen all game!"

I thought JARVIS in the comics wants to be romantically involved with Pepper? So he is replaced by PEPPER after being killed.

Nah Jarvis was somewhat involved with May parker but no he is still alive rather than Pepper who left Stark very early before the avengers lol because his alcoholism and dangerous lifestyle.

Mistel

Banned
Nah Jarvis was somewhat involved with May parker but no he is still alive rather than Pepper who left Stark very early before the avengers lol because his alcoholism and dangerous lifestyle.
Ultimate's has rotted my brain I think. I think it happened in Invincible iron man with J.A.R.V.I.S going bonkers.

Tawpgun

Something i'm making in Kerbal Space Program:

The Longsword is the best UNSC vehicle of any type. I didn't like space combat in Reach because why do we have to fly such a boring... thing, instead of a proper space fighter? The Broadsword in Halo 4 is better* than the Sabre but still ain't as good as the Longsword.

The thing flies surprisingly well in KSP, not counting some instability (needs more duct tape ), and it doesn't actually have enough fuel for anything.

*Perhaps i should say the mission is much funnier rather than that the Broadsword is better than the Sabre, it is, after all, almost identical, not counting shape.

EDIT might try to make the Shortsword too. Don't even have to make it space-capable to match its Haloverse functionality (it is merely an atmospheric bomber).
EDIT do note that this Longsword is made with mods (B9 Aerospace pack and another i can't recall), though making one with default parts should be possible too. Just ain't as pretty.
EDIT with some slight changes, i actually got it to space too. No weapons of course. Also, haven't tried re-entry, don't have any fuel left.

The longsword isn't a fighter though, its a bomber.

Fuchsdh

something something marvel universe

Bulletin's Up!:https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-4-16-14

TL;DR Multiplayer: Multi-Team is the next rotational playlist, and there's a vote between Legendary BRs, Quick Draw, and Swords. Ricochet Playlist to be nixed and folded into other playlists and Heavies is coming soon, more details next week.

Some nice little fiction tidbits in the Q&A. This is the first time I think we've got it confirmed that the Forerunner ship on Reach crashed there, for instance.

Omni

Q: Where are Covenant ships and armors created post war? And why do the Covenant use green lights?
-@TheMasterBuild1

A: While a handful of their local shipyards still exist, most are inactive, forcing many Sangheili to fight over what remained at the close of the war. Shipboard/hull lighting can vary in color for a number of reasons, including things such as the manufacturer, the era of production, and a commander’s personal preference.

Thank god they answered that one! The sleepless nights just thinking about why there are green lights in Halo 4!

so as usual with the Bulletins... nothing of interest or use.

Eh, I like Heavies and multi-team so that was good news for me. The voting is stupid to me because my philosophy would be to put in all of the above because it's fucking multi-team.

Thank god they answered that one! The sleepless nights just thinking about why there are green lights in Halo 4!

Lore Whores Gonna Whore Lore

Some nice little fiction tidbits in the Q&A. This is the first time I think we've got it confirmed that the Forerunner ship on Reach crashed there, for instance.

For a brief second you had my hopes up that they touched on the mysterious ship in the Halo: CEA terminals that 343GS found.

Instead they're talking about some other lame thing from SWORD base come onnnnnn

Madness

What I don't get is, the Sangheili were in a much better position than humanity post Halo 3 event. Humanity was nearly extinct. All major worlds destroyed, their military might, even Earth fell. Sure the Elite were removed by the Prophets and the Brutes tried to destroy/attack them. But their worlds, colonies, hierarchy remained intact. So why are shipyards inactive, why are they fighting over what remains?

If humans can start a new Spartan program, build massive warships, new technology, vehicles, and somehow get the materials, technology, knowledge, why can't the Elites? Dumb I know, but just my thoughts. I've never liked most of how humanity is portrayed post-halo 3.

I want to know who were in that ship too because it wasnt covenant.

Yes exactly. It seems to me to be an entirely new faction. Not forerunner, not human, not covenant, not precurser. It would be a fantastic reveal to be something entirely new.

What I don't get is, the Sangheili were in a much better position than humanity post Halo 3 event. Humanity was nearly extinct. All major worlds destroyed, their military might, even Earth fell. Sure the Elite were removed by the Prophets and the Brutes tried to destroy/attack them. But their worlds, colonies, hierarchy remained intact. So why are shipyards inactive, why are they fighting over what remains?

If humans can start a new Spartan program, build massive warships, new technology, vehicles, and somehow get the materials, technology, knowledge, why can't the Elites? Dumb I know, but just my thoughts. I've never liked most of how humanity is portrayed post-halo 3.

That's the thing though. Their entire society was built on lesser beings. They became reliant on the Prophets running train, the Jackals doing shipyard stuff, the Grunts doing whatever Grunts do, and basically just being field commanders. They lost their path when it came to actually managing everything else. It's covered a bit in the first Karen Traviss book and it was actually quite interesting.

Humanity on the other hand never became reliant on anything. Sure, Reach was lost, but they had major shipyards and construction facilities on Mars and Earth and other inner colony worlds. And they were desperate with a dozen - if not more - contingency or otherwise secret projects.

Chettlar

Banned
Yes exactly. It seems to me to be an entirely new faction. Not forerunner, not human, not covenant, not precurser. It would be a fantastic reveal to be something entirely new.

That's the thing though. Their entire society was built on lesser beings. They became reliant on the Prophets running train, the Jackals doing shipyard stuff, the Grunts doing whatever Grunts do, and basically just being field commanders. They lost their path when it came to actually managing everything else. It's covered a bit in the first Karen Traviss book and it was actually quite interesting.

Humanity on the other hand never became reliant on anything. Sure, Reach was lost, but they had major shipyards and construction facilities on Mars and Earth and other inner colony worlds. And they were desperate with a dozen - if not more - contingency or otherwise secret projects.

I agree, but that only makes the Sangheili week too.

In other words, yeah they're going to have the problems you say, but the whole new Spartan Program and things like Madness mentioned shouldn't be there either. They make very little sense.

You'd think there would be a huge focus on rebuilding, not immediately setting out as if they're already suddenly magically sound again.

Shangeili had their own tech and allows them to go space travel and even make war to the prophets but their weak point were relying on the Engineers to repairs and upgrades their ships but even worse they lost their main reason of living. The Journey was a lie so they dont have any purpose now.

It was covered in a small miniserie in waypoint is really worth watching.

Humanity really become too overpowered in three years compared to the covenant.

Something that really annoyed me.
The Elites seemed equal/better than humanity post halo 3. Now a few years later we are booming with state of the art ships and even pressing into other species territories (wasn't there only like 200k humans left on earth?).
Many people contribute the Elites fall to the prophets not guiding them tech-wise. This seems like a weak excuse.
1. They still had a fleet after 3 (even if it was in a lesser state)
2. They had many engineers (of memory in one of the books I believe it was thousands, will try to find it after work.) that were well equipped to maintain ships and/or upgrade them. But they "disappeared" because the plot needed it to happen.
3. The prophets helped with technology, they didn't manufacture it. The Elites should have still been in possession of many industrial areas building ships. Full of grunts, brutes or whatever races were forced into production.

All in all they didn't just fight a 25 year war on their own home front, yet humanity in the span of 4 years recover and become better. They are a space faring race built on warfare and strength yet are weak now, because the story needs them to be for whatever future reasons.

It's jarring now that the elites were allies and equals to humanity now are just tossed aside as another boring race because we have to make way for new things.
So much post halo 3/evolutions regarding elites doesn't make sense and is frustrating. It really needs to be explained better.
At work so once again sorry if any part of this isn't detailed enough.

Humans somehow take ALL the engineers alonside with prophets but they were into hiding so Elites are really screwed until they do some plot twist or see the arbiter faction tech

Woorloog

Banned
The longsword isn't a fighter though, its a bomber.

http://www.halopedia.org/Longsword
"The GA-TL1 Interceptor/Strike Fighter, commonly known as the Longsword, is the main single ship of the UNSC Defense Force. It is capable of filling a variety roles, exclusively or simultaneously."
"The GA-TL1 Longsword is designed primarily as a fighter, though it can also be used for interception, suppression, bombing, or direct attack."

EDIT looks like there is a mistake of sorts, the Longsword is not a single ship with its 4-man crew.

And Shortsword is the pure bomber: http://www.halopedia.org/B-65_Shortsword
"The B-65 Suborbital Long-Range Bomber, more commonly known as the Shortsword, is a UNSC atmospheric strategic bomber."

And of course, you have no use for bombers in space (and usually the term is used to mean heavy, anti-capital ship fighter in scifi, Star Wars with its TIE Bomber with its "freefall" bombs is something of an oddity in the Empire Strikes Back).

Mistel

Banned
EDIT looks like there is a mistake of sorts, the Longsword is not a single ship with its 4-man crew.
It's just like a multipurpose fighter like a:
300px-Sukhoi_Su-35S_in_2009.jpg

Su-35 is.

Woorloog

Banned
It's just like a multipurpose fighter like a:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Sukhoi_Su-35S_in_2009.jpg/300px-Sukhoi_Su-35S_in_2009.jpg [img]
Su-35 is.[/QUOTE]

Multipurpose fighter, yes, but not a single-ship, which refers to spacecraft with one crew. At least, logically it should... Though now that i think of this, i think Halo books refer to the Longsword as a single-ship, even though it makes no sense...

Multipurpose fighter doesn't necessarily have multiple crew.

Fuchsdh

Something that really annoyed me.
The Elites seemed equal/better than humanity post halo 3. Now a few years later we are booming with state of the art ships and even pressing into other species territories (wasn't there only like 200k humans left on earth?).
Many people contribute the Elites fall to the prophets not guiding them tech-wise. This seems like a weak excuse.
1. They still had a fleet after 3 (even if it was in a lesser state)
2. They had many engineers (of memory in one of the books I believe it was thousands, will try to find it after work.) that were well equipped to maintain ships and/or upgrade them. But they "disappeared" because the plot needed it to happen.
3. The prophets helped with technology, they didn't manufacture it. The Elites should have still been in possession of many industrial areas building ships. Full of grunts, brutes or whatever races were forced into production.

All in all they didn't just fight a 25 year war on their own home front, yet humanity in the span of 4 years recover and become better. They are a space faring race built on warfare and strength yet are weak now, because the story needs them to be for whatever future reasons.

It's jarring now that the elites were allies and equals to humanity now are just tossed aside as another boring race because we have to make way for new things.
So much post halo 3/evolutions regarding elites doesn't make sense and is frustrating. It really needs to be explained better.
At work so once again sorry if any part of this isn't detailed enough.

As others stated, the Elites functioned solely as commanders. When the Covenant fell apart that meant that they were stripped of their political organization, support facilities, maintenance workers, and cannon fodder. They're not farmers, they're not technicians. The Covenant was always in a more precarious situation than humanity from a political standpoint--hence why ironically I think the Spartan's original plan to kidnap the Prophets actually might've destabilized the Covenant like they hoped.

As to humanity getting back its mojo, evidently a small but significant number of human colonies did survive the Covenant campaign, essentially getting "left behind" until after the war and humanity could move freely. And remember that the Covenant didn't completely waste Earth or the solar system—they were focused on finding the Ark.

Personally, I agree that the Spartan-IV project and Infinity being ready weeks or months after the war isn't as interesting; I wish Traviss' trilogy had existed more in the continuum between Halo 3 and Halo 4 rather than basically all taking place within six months of the Voi memorial ceremony. But it's not physically impossible or anything like that.

Mistel

Banned
Multipurpose fighter, yes, but not a single-ship, which refers to spacecraft with one crew. At least, logically it should... Though now that i think of this, i think Halo books refer to the Longsword as a single-ship, even though it makes no sense...

Multipurpose fighter doesn't necessarily have multiple crew.
The only example I can think of with a 4 man crew that was a multipurpose aircraft is:
ju88-a4.jpg

Junker's Ju 88.

I honestly can't explain why it's described as it is really.

Woorloog

Banned
The only example I can think of with a 4 man crew that was a multipurpose aircraft is:
http://finnegan2749.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/ju88-a4.jpg[IMG]
Junker's Ju 88.

I honestly can't explain why it's described as it is really.[/QUOTE]

Comparing fictional spacecraft to modern and old aircraft (or worse, ships) doesn't really work. Space is not an ocean, and neither it is an atmosphere.
There ain't any old or modern fighters that have more than 2 crew IIRC. On the other hand, there are multipurpose aircraft with one crew, like F-35. Old and modern bombers tend to have crews from 2 to 5 or more but of course they don't work as fighters, not counting some cases where they have fought with fighters.

Single-ship sounds silly when attached to multi-crewed ship, no matter what kind. Though i guess when Nylund wrote Fall of Reach, he didn't know about what Bungie planned for the Longswords (the book was released some 6 months before the game, right?).

There is an odd disparity when it comes to the Longsword and Broadsword and Sabre sizes. The first one is enormous for a fighter, very fitting for a space ship actually. The latter ones are tiny compared to the Longsword, more like modern jet fighters*. Though apparently the Broadsword is used primarily for atmospheric combat actually "It is most prominently used by the UNSC Air Force in suborbital dogfights" [URL="http://www.halopedia.org/F-41_Broadsword"]Halopedia Broadsword[/URL].
Yet the latter ones are established to be almost as powerful as the Longsword. Though perhaps they sacrifice endurance and survivability for that?
EDIT ironically the games show the Longsword mostly in atmospheric operations, and the Broadsword is space operations. The Sabre is shown as spacecraft it is meant to be, yet oddly it is called spaceplane, though it lacks good wings for atmospheric operations, or merely for landing.

*Compare their sizes to WWII bombers though, and suddenly they start feeling large. Or the old bombers are small.

Mistel

Banned
There is an odd disparity when it comes to the Longsword and Broadsword and Sabre sizes. The first one is enormous for a fighter, very fitting for a space ship actually. The latter ones are tiny compared to the Longsword, more like modern jet fighters*. Though apparently the Broadsword is used primarily for atmospheric combat actually "It is most prominently used by the UNSC Air Force in suborbital dogfights" Halopedia Broadsword.
Yet the latter ones are established to be almost as powerful as the Longsword. Though perhaps they sacrifice endurance and survivability for that?
EDIT ironically the games show the Longsword mostly in atmospheric operations, and the Broadsword is space operations. The Sabre is shown as spacecraft it is meant to be, yet oddly it is called spaceplane, though it lacks good wings for atmospheric operations, or merely for landing.
A broadsword is about a meter wider than a Ju 88 is which is weird as it looks so small in game. Same applies to the sabre which is bigger than both of them. It's a very odd thing as scale is hard to grasp without physical comparisons.

I mean the closest to a sabre is maybe an X15 but that was a horizontal launch from a B52.

Woorloog

Banned
A broadsword is about a meter wider than a Ju 88 is which is weird as it looks so small in game. Same applies to the sabre which is bigger than both of them. It's a very odd thing as scale is hard to grasp without physical comparisons.

I mean the closest to a sabre is maybe an X15 but that was a horizontal launch from a B52.

Oh, i know they're "large". Hell, i was very surprised when i found out F-15 Eagle is the size of B-17, the famous Flying Fortress, and more massive too.
But i was thinking about their size considering they're spacecraft, and considering the size of the Longsword.
Though i reckon the given dimensions and the in-game model do not match each other. Because, as you say, the Broadsword is really small in Halo 4.

EDIT wait, what. The Shortsword's length is supposedly merely about 30 meters, yet it looks to be about the size of the Longsword (compare their images and pay attention to cockpits). Yet the Shortsword is similar to B-2, though with less wingspan.. so perhaps the Longswords dimensions, as given, are too big? In-game model of the Longsword in Reach is actually smaller than the Halo CE/2 model, no idea about Halo 3 model...

Woorloog

Banned
The long sword just looks so... not maneuverable.

It is a spaceship, reaction control system is what is responsible for turning it. In atmosphere? It does have, presumably, various control surfaces, for RCS is useless in atmosphere.
Though i have to say i do not see any RCS in the image of the Reach Longsword... Nor on the Broadsword or the Sabre...
EDIT oh, yeah. Also thrust vectoring. But usually the thrust vectoring isn't enough.

Mistel

Banned
Oh, i know they're "large". Hell, i was very surprised when i found out F-15 Eagle is the size of B-17, the famous Flying Fortress, and more massive too.
But i was thinking about their size considering they're spacecraft, and considering the size of the Longsword.
Though i reckon the given dimensions and the in-game model do not match each other. Because, as you say, the Broadsword is really small in Halo 4.

EDIT wait, what. The Shortsword's length is supposedly merely about 30 meters, yet it looks to be about the size of the Longsword (compare their images and pay attention to cockpits). Yet the Shortsword is similar to B-2, though with less wingspan.. so perhaps the Longswords dimensions, as given, are too big? In-game model of the Longsword in Reach is actually smaller than the Halo CE/2 model, no idea about Halo 3 model...
F15's are smaller than B-17's both in length and wingspan.

Honestly I think somewhere along the lines it's size was upped to make it bigger or incorrect sizes where given that's most likely given the discrepancies. I wonder how this occurred?

We're lore whores aren't we?

Woorloog

Banned
F15's are smaller than B-17's both in length and wingspan.
Hmph. Perhaps it was another plane i was thinking about then. Or perhaps i was like "It is almost as big" (and length-wise it is. And mass). Ah, well, whatever. F-15 is still bigger than i thought it would be. Along with most other modern fighters. They tend to look... small in pictures.
Honestly I think somewhere along the lines it's size was upped to make it bigger or incorrect sizes where given that's most likely given the discrepancies. I wonder how this occurred?

We're lore whores aren't we?

Nylund gave some ships masses and those were totally silly. 4000 tonne frigates? But he never specified dimensions for most ships, especially smaller ones.
Perhaps there are issues with actual model sizes and scaled models used in-game? Along with some guesswork for actual numbers.

Fuchsdh

Hmph. Perhaps it was another plane i was thinking about then. Or perhaps i was like "It is almost as big" (and length-wise it is. And mass). Ah, well, whatever. F-15 is still bigger than i thought it would be. Along with most other modern fighters. They tend to look... small in pictures.

Nylund gave some ships masses and those were totally silly. 4000 tonne frigates? But he never specified dimensions for most ships, especially smaller ones.
Perhaps there are issues with actual model sizes and scaled models used in-game? Along with some guesswork for actual numbers.

Stephen Loftus uses the in-game models for scale, and he's worked with 343 more than basically anyone not working there, so I'm going to say that the scale in the games is intended to be the "real" sizes. Whether or not those sizes match up with some thrown-out figures by a writer is another question though.

I like alcohol
But remember Halo guyzzZzzz
That first time you stepped on halo
That first time chief said I need a weapon
That firsts time Miranda said "to war" and everyone was still like: okay , cool but can you tell us the fucking point that all our main infantry need to rally at so we can put up some form of a defenc/fight up against this enemy.

The halo 4 where it's just like : pew pew die. HumAnzzzz own all pls

Woorloog

Banned
What about the Vulture and its 8 people crew
Its crew is actually 6, two pilots and four gunners.
Considering it is about the size of a Pelican, or perhaps slightly bigger, fitting 6 crew should be possible. It is a tight fit, with all the weapons, ammo and armor, but should be doable. At least, i'd imagine it to be.

I like alcohol
That firsts time Miranda said "to war" and everyone was still like: okay , cool but can you tell us the fucking point that all our main infantry need to rally at so we can put up some form of a defenc/fight up against this enemy.

Hey, at least the surviving marines were promoted to S-4

I like alcohol

The first
and last
time you shoot that beautiful M6D after the man, the myth, the legend, Captain Keyes, gives it to you.

Mistel

Banned
Its crew is actually 6, two pilots and four gunners.
Considering it is about the size of a Pelican, or perhaps slightly bigger, fitting 6 crew should be possible. It is a tight fit, with all the weapons, ammo and armor, but should be doable. At least, i'd imagine it to be.
A vulture is 35.1m long by 21.1m wide according to the visual guide. So it's smaller width wise but longer than both the D77 Pelican and D79 Pelican.

I though it would be a smidgen bigger than it is considering it's a gunship but I digress.

Top Bottom