• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Takashi

The problem with sprint is that the base movement speed is sacrificed for it, not to mention its effect on melee combat. (And if base movement speed isn't sacrificed, you just made sprint kind of redundant and still caused other issues).

Unfortunately things like ledge grabbing are extensive enough they can't be really tested publicly, inability to make fast iterations in closed systems like XBL kind of kill this.

Yeah those are sprint's main problems. But I was referring to the issue of the small time it takes to get out of sprint to react and shoot, since that would be similar to the small time it takes to grab ledges. Unless your idea of grabbing ledges doesn't trade away the player's choice to shoot, which I guess in theory would be ok, though it might look abit silly
cool
for a Spartan to be hanging on to something while sniping 1 or 2 guys lol.

I'm all for mobility and faster routes but that shouldn't be at the expense of shooting ability.

Does 343 even know how to create an arena game of the caliber of the original trilogy
I don't think they did before when handling Reach and Halo 4, bcuz they wanted to stick to their schedule and vision. But we don't know for sure if all of that has changed for their current project and future projects?

Would be great if Kevin or even Andy could shed some light about the teams vision on MP.

I don't think they did before when handling Reach and Halo 4, bcuz they wanted to stick to their schedule and vision. But we don't know for sure if all of that has changed for their current project and future projects?

Would be great if Kevin or even Andy could shed some light about the teams vision on MP.

I have a feeling they do know how to but arent willing to. They are scared with the current market that it wont do well. It says Halo,it will do well 343!

A waypointer found a logo engraving on the Forge monitor

eRdIhTU.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/dd401414-b878-4d44-bf3a-fc2e2fd11449

69gTPRi.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/b9877cdb-c009-4123-a020-7b244800dce2

Chettlar

Banned
^^^^ Interesting. Does anybody know what the back of Guilty Spark (and penitant tangent for that matter as well) looks like?

I have a feeling they do know how to but arent willing to. They are scared with the current market that it wont do well. It says Halo,it will do well 343!

After 4, I'm not quite so sure it will do as well, but it will do well. There are thousands willing to give it a second chance.

I can guarantee that Halo 5's day one sales will not be as great as 4's (unless of course Halo 2A is amazing and has great multiplayer and then 343 is like "So yeah fans we 'acided t' put that kind of multiplayer as Halo 5's as well, but with dah propipe 'n stuff.")

^^^^ Interesting. Does anybody know what the back of Guilty Spark (and penitant tangent for that matter as well) looks like?

After 4, I'm not quite so sure it will do as well, but it will do well. There are thousands willing to give it a second chance.

I can guarantee that Halo 5's day one sales will not be as great as 4's (unless of course Halo 2A is amazing and has great multiplayer and then 343 is like "So yeah fans we 'acided t' put that kind of multiplayer as Halo 5's as well, but with dah propipe 'n stuff.")

Will they even have time? Halo 2 is fall and that is one year away from Halo 5. I am not sure if there is time to gauge H2 interest and then apply that to Halo 5.

Chettlar

Banned
Will they even have time? Halo 2 is fall and that is one year away from Halo 5. I am not sure if there is time to gauge H2 interest and then apply that to Halo 5.

I didn't mean that. I was talking sheer popularity.

Let's say Halo 5 is indeed going back to Halo's 2-esque multiplayer anyway. They can advertise it all they want, but no matter what they do, I think people will be put off by Halo 4. Fool me once and all that. But if people play H2A, and 343 is like "Yes, that thing. That's exactly what we're doing." Then I think Halo 5 could do very well.

This is all about initially. Obviously is Halo 5 has great multiplayer, it will sell great. It's the initial sales that I'm talking about.

Have they just stopped doing monthly xbox live activity specifically to stop embarrassing Halo 4?

I'm literally amazed coming back and looking and seeing it still peaks at like 14k, who are these people, mostly 343i I assume.

Have they just stopped doing monthly xbox live activity specifically to stop embarrassing Halo 4?

I'm literally amazed coming back and looking and seeing it still peaks at like 14k, who are these people, mostly 343i I assume.

Dunno, maybe waypoint members because most of the comunities I knew no longer exists

Madness

But ADS are optional in Destiny also Sprint is a must in a exploration game, come on man.

How is sprint a must in an "exploration" game? You don't need to traverse the area at five or ten times normal speed on foot. I think that's the same reason people have started to give unlimited sprint as well. If you do, use your vehicles which are in the game. We explored CE/2/3/ODST without sprint just fine no? Because the point becomes, the game is a shooter, sprint is bad for shooters as gun play and encounters are almost ruined because of it.

Also, how is ADS optional in Destiny? The game has ADS, end of discussion. You can play CoD without ever aiming down sights, using red dot or holographic sights, hip firing if you want, doesn't change it from being a shooter with ADS.

Booshka

I do Hulk Jumps and run at 60 mph in Morrowind, sprinting in Skyrim is like crawling compared to what I can do in Morrowind. That series got dumbed down to shit as well.

ADS isnt cosmetic in Destiny. You need to ADS with Automatics to be effective with them. and sprint really isnt necessary with a good base speed.

c'mon orochi, think with your head.

Unless Bungie confirms you need to ADS to fully use the weapons stats then they are optional and more like borderlands when specifics perks and bonus gives you damage for headshots so you have to use ADS, looking at the gameplay it wont have that kind of stats.

How is sprint a must in an "exploration" game? You don't need to traverse the area at five or ten times normal speed on foot. I think that's the same reason people have started to give unlimited sprint as well. If you do, use your vehicles which are in the game. We explored CE/2/3/ODST without sprint just fine no? Because the point becomes, the game is a shooter, sprint is bad for shooters as gun play and encounters are almost ruined because of it.

Also, how is ADS optional in Destiny? The game has ADS, end of discussion. You can play CoD without ever aiming down sights, using red dot or holographic sights, hip firing if you want, doesn't change it from being a shooter with ADS.

Had you ever played an exploration game? using vehicles are for quick travel and ignore a big part of the area, dunno how big are the areas or if there is actual exploration in destiny but you have to get on foot to explore it and not going directly to a gun fight also COD actually benefits you to play ADS because all weapons have stats to be used in that mode and have less benefics if you are using in hipfire

Optional or not it is put there to play that way. Lets not defend Bungie on that.

Not defending anyone, just giving my opinion.

lawful

Banned
It's a tough thing to be a Halo fan. On the one hand you get to be part of this awesome and diverse community full of creativity and on the other you feel ashamed to be apart of some lynch mob demanding this and demanding that. I truly feel bad for Frank and the rest of 343. I wish them the best of luck on bringing the group back together, even if it is only for H2A.

Forgot to comment on this:
This gif is a good example of what I was talking about when I said, "I wouldn't hate if they decided to keep sprint if it worked like Murder Miners." Fast/Fluid transitions, faster kill times, less aim assist, better strafe/movement, etc. This game has sprint, wall jumps, dashes and Hookshots, and it still rocks out.

<3 Murder Miners. Got an email to download the Beta ;]

It's a tough thing to be a Halo fan. On the one hand you get to be part of this awesome and diverse community full of creativity and on the other you feel ashamed to be apart of some lynch mob demanding this and demanding that. I truly feel bad for Frank and the rest of 343. I wish them the best of luck on bringing the group back together, even if it is only for H2A.

They'll never be able to please everyone. They just have to focus on creating a strong product that when you look at it, shouts "THIS IS HALO! NOT BATTLEFIELD, NOT CALL OF DUTY, BUT HALO".

That's the most they can do.

belushy

Banned
Wait that JForceGames dude is still making games? did Unstoppable even release yet??

Jforce is three dudes, and I have no idea about Unstoppable. They have never said they stopped making it, but I know it passed Steam Greenlight recently. Murder Miners 2 is also in the pipeline for them (I don't think MM2 is even in development yet though.)

Madness

Unless Bungie confirms you need to ADS to fully use the weapons stats then they are optional and more like borderlands when specifics perks and bonus gives you damage for headshots so you have to use ADS, looking at the gameplay it wont have that kind of stats.

Had you ever played an exploration game? using vehicles are for quick travel and ignore a big part of the area, dunno how big are the areas or if there is actual exploration in destiny but you have to get on foot to explore it and not going directly to a gun fight also COD actually benefits you to play ADS because all weapons have stats to be used in that mode and have less benefics if you are using in hipfire

Not defending anyone, just giving my opinion.

Uh, yeah I have. I fail to see why sprint would be needed? If you are dying to sprint around the area you are exploring, it means the devs have done a shitty job of level design or player movement. I think you don't understand what I'm saying. Sometimes areas are unnecessarily large and you need to get around quickly, so I can see what you're saying about sprint, but unlike say a third person game like Grand Theft Auto or even Mass Effect, Destiny is a first person shooter. Have you ever played Metroid Prime? Expertly designed world with no need for sprint and areas where you can't get to normal, you can roll into a ball or use Samus grapple beam etc. I've hated modern sprint in first person shooter games, especially the animations as well.

Also, not necessarily, you can equip an SMG with perks like steady aim and hip fire pretty accurately. It still shows how wrong your statement is for Destiny to be optional ADS when most weapons are aim down sight, from assault rifles to pistol etc. Now of course you can hip fire, use other attachments, but the game has ADS. There is no optional. Either a game has it, or it doesn't.

Hey Frank, out of the three submitted so far (menagerie / jellycrackers / subzurruh) which Halo 5 menu theme is the closest to the real thing?

Silky

Banned
Fucked around with MM...man, this game really /feels/ good. Might need a controller to play on it though.

Anyone else playing it? Seems like a good group game to test/fuck around with.

wwm0nkey

Fucked around with MM...man, this game really /feels/ good. Might need a controller to play on it though.

Anyone else playing it? Seems like a good group game to test/fuck around with.
I've been playing it and made a mood tool pack for it already for custom armor lol

But yeah it's a lot better than the console version thanks to the 60fps, makes a huge difference in a game like this. Which is why I'm happy Halo 5 will be 60fps.

Uh, yeah I have. I fail to see why sprint would be needed? If you are dying to sprint around the area you are exploring, it means the devs have done a shitty job of level design or player movement. I think you don't understand what I'm saying. Sometimes areas are unnecessarily large and you need to get around quickly,

Mmm?

so I can see what you're saying about sprint, but unlike say a third person game like Grand Theft Auto or even Mass Effect, Destiny is a first person shooter. Have you ever played Metroid Prime? Expertly designed world with no need for sprint and areas where you can't get to normal, you can roll into a ball or use Samus grapple beam etc. I've hated modern sprint in first person shooter games, especially the animations as well.

Fair point but I highly doubt Destiny will be like MP to be honest, the IA flying thing will do most of that stuff for you...

Also, not necessarily, you can equip an SMG with perks like steady aim and hip fire pretty accurately. It still shows how wrong your statement is for Destiny to be optional ADS when most weapons are aim down sight, from assault rifles to pistol etc. Now of course you can hip fire, use other attachments, but the game has ADS. There is no optional. Either a game has it, or it doesn't.

Like I said unless it gives me bonus for using it at ADS I will use them in hipfire mode and so far most of the battles are close range or simply use the sniper rifle to kill them.

160px-Out_Here_in_the_Wild_Vidoc%2C_Weapon_Customization.gif

Have you ever seen the ACOG sights in a shotgun? hilarious

I need some coffee

Madness

Mmm?

Fair point but I highly doubt Destiny will be like MP to be honest, the IA flying thing will do most of that stuff for you...

Like I said unless it gives me bonus for using it at ADS I will use them in hipfire mode and so far most of the battles are close range or simply use the sniper rifle to kill them.

160px-Out_Here_in_the_Wild_Vidoc%2C_Weapon_Customization.gif

Have you ever seen the ACOG sights in a shotgun? hilarious

I need some coffee

What are we even discussing anymore though? My point was to say Destiny is a game with ADS gameplay. You said no, it's optional. And yes, you can choose to play the game however you want, you can run around knifing people 24/7, that doesn't change the fact the gunplay is primarily centered around ADS weapons which is what those images were to show you in a sense, the pistol and the main assault rifle etc.

So while you may never use iron sights, holographic sights, acog sights and will hipfire, it doesn't mean someone you play against won't ADS and there is no way they won't have ADS be less accurate than a hipfire. I think we're ultimately arguing two separate things here. I disagree with the assertion it's optional. It's an ADS shooter. Most of the weapons seem designed around this. Either way, beta is almost here. We'll be playing it soon enough. I wonder how we'll even organize any kind of HaloGAF/DestinyGAF customs since tons will be ps4 only, others will be Xbox One, and quite a few may be Xbox 360.

daedalius

It appears that ADS in destiny is just like scoping in for Halo, it may impart some zoom, but you don't need to do it for accuracy, and it doesn't slow you down.

Who knows though, we might find out at E3.

Booshka

It appears that ADS in destiny is just like scoping in for Halo, it may impart some zoom, but you don't need to do it for accuracy, and it doesn't slow you down.

Who knows though, we might find out at E3.

I wonder how many cheers an ADS reveal would get at E3. Kinda scary to think how so many people that would play the next Halo for like 6-10 hours would love for ADS to be in. Whereas someone like myself who is looking to play a new Halo for 600-1000 hours would just fall flat on the floor in disappointment.

TheOddOne

I wonder how many cheers an ADS reveal would get at E3. Kinda scary to think how so many people that would play the next Halo for like 6-10 hours would love for ADS to be in. Whereas someone like myself who is looking to play a new Halo for 600-1000 hours would just fall flat on the floor in disappointment.
Basically the problem of the last two Halos, both looked great on the surface but were shallow the longer you spend time with them.

Top Bottom