• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm generally against sprint because of how it effects encounters and map design, but it also feels good, so I kind of like. I agree Tawpgun -- it's fairly low on my list of Halo annoyances. But I still want it gone.

wwm0nkey

Again a default Thrust/Dodge/Dash mechanic that recharges over time and is on by default and combine that with a fast base movement and it is the perfect replacement for sprint in Arena styled FPS games. Balanced weapons with movement based skill just sounds sooooooo fun.

Again a default Thrust/Dodge/Dash mechanic that recharges over time and is on by default and combine that with a fast base movement and it is the perfect replacement for sprint in Arena styled FPS games. Balanced weapons with movement based skill just sounds sooooooo fun.
If 343 does this.. Hold me.

Default Thrusters, new projectile-based
To
War
!
Rifle that emulates the Light Rifle: burst fire unscoped, single shot when scoped...

...unf

BigShow36

I wonder how many cheers an ADS reveal would get at E3. Kinda scary to think how so many people that would play the next Halo for like 6-10 hours would love for ADS to be in. Whereas someone like myself who is looking to play a new Halo for 600-1000 hours would just fall flat on the floor in disappointment.

At this point, are you even seriously holding out hope for Halo?

"Long live the king."
*visor smashing sfx*
*fpukt fpukt fpukt fpukt fpukt*
Steizer: "DEFENESTRATION."

Oh, and I decided to jump on the halomusicGAF bandwagon and try my hand at a Halo 5 main menu theme mockup! Given the whole desert / dual-timeline themes (with the human-forerunner wars and whatnot) I tried to draw from Journey and Chrono Cross as inspirations.

It also solves the whole Halo 4 menu vocal thing pretty eloquently, imo.

I like the first part better without the percussion, I'll say.

Fun fact though - That percussion loop in "Overture" from Reach (the main menu) is from EastWest's library "Stormdrum". I've heard it in an episode of Nova, two episodes of Survivorman, some random TV action/drama show that was on when I walked through the living room once, and in a track from COD4 Modern Warfare.

Don't believe me? Listen to this track from COD4.

Also, to add - I recently got Native Instruments Evolve Mutations as a graduation gift. When going through the sounds, I found 2 loops and one cinematic hit sound that Kazuma Jinnouchi used in his work on the Halo 4 soundtrack. I used one of those sounds in my Halo 5 Fan made theme I posted... tricks of the trade, man. I love coming across sounds that I've heard before in popular music.

ADS has no place in Halo. None. It's already a huge strike against Destiny that Bungie would be silly enough to include it in their game, but maybe Activision mandates it in their contract or something.
If you honestly think Bungie had to include ADS because Activision "mandates it in their contract or something" then you have a pretty limited understanding of how confident Activision is in Bungie's ability to deliver amazing games without the need for superfluous gameplay elements.

Bobby Kotick: "No dawg those weapons are hella lame and need ADS in order to sell more copies!!!!1"

No love Stinkles.
No love.
Depends on the quantity of said "hope."

I like the first part better without the percussion, I'll say.

Fun fact though - That percussion loop in "Overture" from Reach (the main menu) is from EastWest's library "Stormdrum". I've heard it in an episode of Nova, two episodes of Survivorman, some random TV action/drama show that was on when I walked through the living room once, and in a track from COD4 Modern Warfare.

Don't believe me? Listen to this track from COD4.

Also, to add - I recently got Native Instruments Evolve Mutations as a graduation gift. When going through the sounds, I found 2 loops and one cinematic hit sound that Kazuma Jinnouchi used in his work on the Halo 4 soundtrack. I used one of those sounds in my Halo 5 Fan made theme I posted... tricks of the trade, man. I love coming across sounds that I've heard before in popular music.

Marty also used it at a lower fidelity for a track in ODST. Here's a fun one - listen to Chronopolis from the Chrono Cross OST and then Mantis on Halo 4 Vol. 2. The loop's called "Transformer."

If you honestly think Bungie had to include ADS because Activision "mandates it in their contract or something" then you have a pretty limited understanding of how confident Activision is in Bungie's ability to deliver amazing games without the need for superfluous gameplay elements.

Bobby Kotick: "No dawg those weapons are hella lame and need ADS in order to sell more copies!!!!1"

No love Stinkles.
No love.

Depends on the quantity of said "hope."
no, I was kidding.

We need a "Why ADS is a dumb idea for Halo" FAQ for people who apparently can't be bothered to read two pages back or forgot to take off their COD goggles. Maybe if I get bored enough later.

EDIT: Kame I think you are confused
Do it Maak.

wow there are actually people who want ads in halo ?
giphy.gif
Seems like it, those people also dont want Halo.

Alternative to sprint: Make the sprint button a speed boost with a cool down. Spartans should be able to run fast and aim at the same time.

Speed Boost will essentially be like Stim in Titanfall. You have full range of movement and aiming but you just go faster.

So when you hit it the animation will show your gun swaying back and forth a bit more, but it will stabilize once you choose to shoot. This way, we can have something that will please the crowd that wants to be able to move faster sometimes because modern shooters and please the people that want to be able to shoot at all times.

But honestly, sprint is one of the least problematic things that happened to Halo. Pretty much only affected maps.
this doesnt seem so bad.

Hope is what got us "Halo" 4. Cynical should be everyone's dial right now.

Halo 5 is essentially Russian roulette, only instead of death it's an additional round of half-baked decisions.
its 5 barrels of not listening to fans with the last barrel 5% classic halo 95% their "vision"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how being a cynical asshole is going to help us get a better Halo game, and this is coming from someone who is cynical on the regular. Holding out hope might sound naive or silly, but maintaining good faith relationships with 343 people -- even if that "relationship" is as thin as occasional interactions here -- is nothing but a good thing.

I don't see how being a cynical asshole is going to help us get a better Halo game, and this is coming from someone who is cynical on the regular. Holding out hope might sound naive or silly, but maintaining good faith relationships with 343 people -- even if that "relationship" is as thin as occasional interactions here -- is nothing but a good thing.

343 individually saying that the game felt like something it wasnt. they called out the competitive community on twitter, they routinely ignored the criticism of the hardcore crowd that have been playing Halo for longer than most of 343 have been working on Halo.

the fact that it took them over a year to start considering criticism that was being thrown their way and the drastic decline of the playerbase that wanted something that wasnt delivered is a major point for me personally

BigShow36

I used to be cynical, now I've moved completely to apathy and indifference. I know the Halo I loved isn't coming back, so now it's mostly morbid curiosity that makes me drop by. Its like watching a carcass slowly rotting as the maggots devour it from within.

Tawpgun

I used to be cynical, now I've moved completely to apathy and indifference. I know the Halo I loved isn't coming back, so now it's mostly morbid curiosity that makes me drop by. Its like watching a carcass slowly rotting as the maggots devour it from within.

if only unknown would realize this

Some great discussion in that thread.
if only UNKNOWN* would realize this

Who says I haven't? I just like interacting with Halo fans, even though some of them picture me making these posts with heavy fists and serious faces 100% of the time. Those who actually take a second to have a conversation with me outside of this forum know that I'm quite lovable ;]

Say what you will about posting habits, but I think if people were more understanding of the people making the posts, then forums or general interactions would be a lot more effective, especially when said poster has no malicious intent and/or doesn't use offensive words just to convey emotions/get a point across.

Halo 2 was the most fun I ever had with a Halo game, I've got great memories of Halo Reach nights with GAF and Halo 3 with my old group but Halo 2 was Halo for me.

If Halo 2 Anniversary gives me Halo 2 Multiplayer back then they can happily "evolve" Halo 5's multiplayer as much as they want for all I care.

I have some small faith that Halo 4 taught them some lessons and Halo 5 might be a more back to basics game.

Halo 2 was the most fun I ever had with a Halo game, I've got great memories of Halo Reach nights with GAF and Halo 3 with my old group but Halo 2 was Halo for me.

If Halo 2 Anniversary gives me Halo 2 Multiplayer back then they can happily "evolve" Halo 5's multiplayer as much as they want for all I care.

I have some small faith that Halo 4 taught them some lessons and Halo 5 might be a more back to basics game.

But what happens when you get bored of H2A and they stop updating it?

Sorry for singling you out, but I saw Henery and some others bring this up lately. Either they create a standalone multiplayer service with similar fundamentals to the trilogy or we'll be part of the same repeating cycle, unless they plan on giving us Halo 3 Anniversary as the "return to classic" formula.. but that's 3 years away lol.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I know I've felt burned by 343 far more than Bungie.

At least with Bungie they would outright declare their disagreement and would sometimes dedicate blog posts to explaining their philosophy and state their belief about something, whereas 343 is far more politically maneuvering; leading us on, telling us to 'trust them' and it 'feels like halo'.

It's taken this long for even any formal acknowledgement of the competitive scene aside from the occasion promotion of a tourney in a bulletin or something on twitter. It's only taken them 12 or so years to hire competitive players from their own community and I have to wonder if that's to save face for their waning title's popularity in a crowded FPS market.

How hard you work on something has no correlation with the ethics involved in how you get other people to play that thing you worked so very hard on. Whomever makes the decisions at the top, you represent those innocent talent at 343 that you like to us to see as victims to these 'leaks'. That slippery slope that we're some how horrible monsters because we're holding entrepreneurs accountable that are not owed 60$ every 2-3 years for their attempts to win a jaded community over (that has every right to be) is kind of disgusting.

The gaming industry is also the last bastion holding out for this secrecy. No other medium holds their work this shrouded in mystery. A reveal of what you're working on is not a leak. It's a declaration of what you're working on. I don't think anyone is surprised that you're carrying on with a franchise and trilogy that was outlined for us years ago.

Just 343's damage-control nature of controlling the information comes off as so very insincere to the communities plight. Look at how the first map pack was handled. How the packs in general are being handled. It's just disingenuous and distasteful.

I think if developers weren't so secretive we'd have a Peter Molyneux situation on our hands where the guy is getting cut down all the time for what he says, the personal attacks on the guy isn't right. Games change a lot through the course of development, games get cancelled and so on. If more developers were open then they'd be accused of being liars or breaking promises all the time. I understand why they aren't very forthcoming.

Woorloog

Banned
I think if developers weren't so secretive we'd have a Peter Molyneux situation on our hands where the guy is getting cut down all the time for what he says, the personal attacks on the guy isn't right. Games change a lot through the course of development, games get cancelled and so on. If more developers were open then they'd be accused of being liars or breaking promises all the time. I understand why they aren't very forthcoming.

That, and getting shat on whenever they try something new and different or odd for whatever reason and talk about it would probably be extremely demoralizing.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member

If a fan of a medium is quick to misunderstand transparency in a changing game as 'lying' then it's the fault of developers not being forward that games change and that is part of the process. It's been a stigma for these past few generations that many fans simply don't know any other way to perceive it. I think there's shared blame involved, it's not simply 'poor developers' but a failure to communicate which breeds cynicism and being jaded.

If you had to choose which base movement speed & maneuverability felt the best for a Halo game which would it be? And could 343 do a way better job than H4?

I wanna say Halo 2 & Reach felt just right, imo.

Woorloog

Banned
I think i liked Halo 2's movement best. It could have been perhaps a tad faster though.
While i like Halo CE's movement speed, it always had this odd feel as if you were walking on ice or something like that. Not sure if that was due to controls or the sounds or what, nor did it really bother me normally, it just had this odd feeling if i thought about it and then it bothered me.

Others feel fine but are too slow, and in some cases strafing especially is too difficult. Need more speed and agility.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I think i liked Halo 2's movement best. It could have been perhaps a tad faster though.
While i like Halo CE's movement speed, it always had this odd feel as if you were walking on ice or something like that. Not sure if that was due to controls or the sounds or what, nor did it really bother me normally, it just had this odd feeling if i thought about it and then it bothered me.

Others feel fine but are too slow, and in some cases strafing especially is too difficult. Need more speed and agility.

That's because you were literally ice-skating. :) It was just the overworld animation paired with the lack-therof in 1st person.

I personally think H:CE, H2 was the perfect speed. H4 was getting there but I assume that is because the larger maps required it.

Woorloog

Banned
That's because you were literally ice-skating. :) It was just the overworld animation paired with the lack-therof in 1st person.

Ah but you don't see your legs in other Halos while looking forward and i don't get this ice-skating feeling in other Halos. So it can't be merely a graphical thing.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Ah but you don't see your legs in other Halos while looking forward and i don't get this ice-skating feeling in other Halos. So it can't be merely a graphical thing.

I mean like the visual/auditory response for stepping not an actual animation you see, sorry. But yeah, I kind of feel like it's only weird in retrospect -- all games back then were like that.

Havoc2049

Halo 2 in almost every aspect of multiplayer all the way. Movement speed, grenade physics, gunplay, weapon damage, rocket and grenade splash damage, maps, etc. Throw in a few map based power-ups from Halo 3 and maybe throw in a new power-up or two to keep it fresh.

willow ve

Halo 2. Updated graphics. Dedicated servers for all games.

Guys, a 2 is just a 5 upside down. And we've all seen the artwork with Chief upside down below another Spartan.

Halo 5 is just 2.5 confirmed.

Top Bottom