• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Fracas

#fuckonami
I had a half hour argument on twitter yesterday about this stuff. It's pretty ridiculous.

It definitely sucks for the devs but when you have such a cloak and dagger industry like this, I don't mind leaks every now and then. Just look at how 343's official communication with 4 was. I learned far more about the game from secondhand accounts than I did from Waypoint, etc.

Booshka

Halo CE definitely has the best movement, it feels a little floaty and a bit like ice skating at first, but it allows for some amazing strafing and player movement options. Combo it with quick ducking with crouch, and the strafe skill ceiling in Halo CE is way higher than any other game in the series. It's just the magic of that original game engine, apparently it was a haphazard mistake that was literally created by Space Magic, but it's still the best engine in the series in terms of gameplay in my opinion.

ADS has a place in Halo.

It's been there since Halo: CE

AIM DOWN SPLIT CHIN ALIEN BASTARDS

SGT_Johnson_Poster.jpg

Tawpgun

Hey which one of you nerds have Titanfall on the Xbone I need teammates.

Also I was not a fan of the movement in CE. Strafes were nice, but thats about it. The worst was when you ran up a ramp the player would get airborne for a split second. That shit always threw me off.

Booshka

Hey which one of you nerds have Titanfall on the Xbone I need teammates.

Also I was not a fan of the movement in CE. Strafes were nice, but thats about it. The worst was when you ran up a ramp the player would get airborne for a split second. That shit always threw me off.

It takes a lot of time to get used to, but it feels good after a while. Also you should jump at least once as you go up ramps in CE to offset the slower movespeed as you run up them. That's how you avoid that little floaty feeling.

Tawpgun

It takes a lot of time to get used to, but it feels good after a while. Also you should jump at least once as you go up ramps in CE to offset the slower movespeed as you run up them. That's how you avoid that little floaty feeling.

See I think there's a difference between high skill ceiling movement and clunky obstuse movement.

Just because there's all these little tricks you can do to offset the clunkiness doesn't mean its a good thing because it takes more skill to move. Just makes it obnoxious.

I wonder how many cheers an ADS reveal would get at E3. Kinda scary to think how so many people that would play the next Halo for like 6-10 hours would love for ADS to be in. Whereas someone like myself who is looking to play a new Halo for 600-1000 hours would just fall flat on the floor in disappointment.

If only Halo's multiplayer was designed with a continuous revenue model where a player who spends a 1000 hours in the game would be more valuable than the player that spends 5, and therefore would make sense to design the game around what will make that player spend a 1000 hours in it (and more dollars).

If only

Booshka

See I think there's a difference between high skill ceiling movement and clunky obstuse movement.

Just because there's all these little tricks you can do to offset the clunkiness doesn't mean its a good thing because it takes more skill to move. Just makes it obnoxious.

Well Halo CE's movement quirks aren't anywhere on the level of say Tribes Skiiing or Quake strafe and rocket jumping. But, there definitely is some more high level player movement going on because of the engine's quirks. Like I said, it's annoying and unintuitive at first, but after dozens and then hundreds of hours, you become very adept at the movement and begin to appreciate those quirks because of the skilled movement mechanics that are borne out of them.

Chettlar

Banned
You think people in real life fire rifles from the hip without aiming? lol

People in real life do not have HUDs in their helmets that show them where the gun will fire...

The AR is built without sights because it is intended to be used without them. Thus Masterchief does not use them. However, say, the spiker, does have sights, because the brutes don't have fancy HUDs in their helmets.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If only Halo's multiplayer was designed with a continuous revenue model where a player who spends a 1000 hours in the game would be more valuable than the player that spends 5, and therefore would make sense to design the game around what will make that player spend a 1000 hours in it (and more dollars).

If only
Part of me is hoping that 343 will surprise us all and make Halo 2 Anniversary the launching point for an all new Halo multiplayer using this model. It wouldn't be Halo 2 MP exactly, but it would be similar. Make it available as a stand alone purchase, too, and support it for the rest of this console gen.

Anyways, yeah, it's fun to dream.

Tawpgun

If only

Hahaha who cares about player retention when you get that launch week hype monaaaayyy and 9.8/10's!

fightmoney.png

Would be nice though. Keeping up a vibrant community through in game events would be cool. Imagine every weekend there will be a playlist that will let you earn halo points or something which you can then use to some end.

Striker

The classic overshield and active camo. On larger maps, trip mines, grav lifts and either the bubble shield or the regen field from Halo 4, maybe both.

The bubble shield will always have a special place in my heart just for this trailer alone..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTc2aZEaeg
I'd rather somebody not shit out a get-out-of-jail-free card when I'm in combat or if I see them within shooting distance. They're not balanced or take any skill to use, especially the bubble and regen, since they slow the game down. Keep OS and Camo, and keep their Halo 2 appearances. The giant blobs they used in Halo 3 were butt ugly.

120px-H2_Active_Camouflage.png
131px-Overshield.png

Damn, just jumped back into this after being away for more than a year and...it's not that bad actually. Got stomped first match back in but I messed with my settings and loadouts afterwards and I was actually pulling 2.0-3.0+ matches. Almost even got a running riot till I got too cocky and took a death charging a dude with the fuel rod lol.

Only thing that I need to get used to (coming from Titanfall) again is that everything feels really floaty (in terms of sprinting and stopping to do anything) but really heavy (you don't jump very high/can't climb up or over anything). That and the lack of maps in the base game but whatever. Halo is fun to come back to.

Chettlar

Banned
I'd rather somebody not shit out a get-out-of-jail-free card when I'm in combat or if I see them within shooting distance. They're not balanced or take any skill to use, especially the bubble and regen, since they slow the game down. Keep OS and Camo, and keep their Halo 2 appearances. The giant blobs they used in Halo 3 were butt ugly.

131px-Overshield.png

Isn't that what they look like in Halo CE? I don't even remember coming across any in Halo 2.

Damn, just jumped back into this after being away for more than a year and...it's not that bad actually. Got stomped first match back in but I messed with my settings and loadouts afterwards and I was actually pulling 2.0-3.0+ matches. Almost even got a running riot till I got too cocky and took a death charging a dude with the fuel rod lol.

Only thing that I need to get used to (coming from Titanfall) again is that everything feels really floaty (in terms of sprinting and stopping to do anything) but really heavy (you don't jump very high/can't climb up or over anything). That and the lack of maps in the base game but whatever. Halo is fun to come back to.

Hey you want a toothpick?

EDIT:
Isn't that what they look like in Halo CE? I don't even remember coming across any in Halo 2.

Booshka

131px-Overshield.png

They probably got focus tested into the giant blobs they became.

Part of me is hoping that 343 will surprise us all and make Halo 2 Anniversary the launching point for an all new Halo multiplayer using this model. It wouldn't be Halo 2 MP exactly, but it would be similar. Make it available as a stand alone purchase, too, and support it for the rest of this console gen.

Anyways, yeah, it's fun to dream.

I think a H2 MP remake would be a good opportunity to test out a model like that. Not only is it beloved MP game, but a remake like H2 (similar to CEA) is pretty low risk. If it doesn't take off, it wasn't something that they had to call in the Iron Bank to fund. If it's a success then we could all be playing H2 in 5 years.

Dreams and stuff

The giant blobs they used in Halo 3 were butt ugly.
Agreed, but they were also a hell of a lot easier to see. I'm not saying aesthetics are irrelevant, or that they should be abandoned at the first sign of conflict, but player utility should enjoy precedent in any competitive game.

FyreWulff

The blogs in Halo 3 were obviously for better sighting, they also took less performance to render, and had some logic as to not being physics objects anymore.

I also liked the touch where if you spawned near one, they'd make their "BROWMP" sound to tell you a powerup was nearby

I really wish they would have made 2 different custom powerups after Halo 3 though, so in theory you could have made a custom replacement for BOTH OS and Camo with your own tweaks, but you were stuck with only having a variant of one of them

iMax

People in real life do not have HUDs in their helmets that show them where the gun will fire...

The AR is built without sights because it is intended to be used without them. Thus Masterchief does not use them. However, say, the spiker, does have sights, because the brutes don't have fancy HUDs in their helmets.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My point was that in real life people aim down the 'sights' of weapons that don't even have conventional sights.

Madness

The best part of a Halo 2 Anniversary release with its original or updated multiplayer, is that it brings classic Halo game play back to the forefront. Instead of it being relegated to niche status behind poorly populated playlists, there will be equal starts, on map weapons, fast movement, no sprint, no flinch, no bloom, no load outs, armor abilities or perks. I'd never go back to Halo 4, and this is why I'm doubting it will happen now.

Unless Halo 5: Guardians plays like Halo CE/2/3 in a sense, why would someone who can play essentially the same gameplay of Halo 2 on their Xbox One, play Halo 5: Guardians if it continues with what Reach and Halo 4 started. I'm starting to believe it'll be a Master Chief campaign collection with an updated Halo 2 campaign, but the only multiplayer will be Halo 5 beta that is supposed to tide us over until Guardians.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My point was that in real life people aim down the 'sights' of weapons that don't even have conventional sights.
What's your point in wanting ADS in Halo?
Do you want it to be in SP? In MP?
Or both just to have?

If I'm not mistakened someone posted a video of Halo 3 ODST with ADS mod using the silenced smg.

lawful

Banned
I'm starting to believe it'll be a Master Chief campaign collection with an updated Halo 2 campaign, but the only multiplayer will be Halo 5 beta that is supposed to tide us over until Guardians.

Yeah but when Phil Spencer was asked if Halo 2 HD was a real he thing he said "IF such a thing were to happen it would have to be all about the multiplayer" he stressed that such a game would have o stay true to it's multiplayer. I saw this interview on IGN not long ago.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
This is like the precipice of being completely excited for the first time in years about Halo or potentially checking out of the franchise forever. Gut-check time.

Yeah but spartans wear helmets adapted to be used as ADS's Hud for that reason, adding ADS will look like they are just simple marines or worse

iMax

What's your point in wanting ADS in Halo?
Do you want it to be in SP? In MP?
Or both just to have?

If I'm not mistakened someone posted a video of Halo 3 ODST with ADS mod using the silenced smg.

I don't necessarily want it but I'm not going to freak out if they add it. I think it could work and I wouldn't complain if it was there.

Personally, I think it's natural for a shooter nowadays to have ADS.

I don't necessarily want it but I'm not going to freak out if they add it. I think it could work and I wouldn't complain if it was there.

nah im sick of every shooter being the same.i prefer variety,accepting mediocrity is not a good idea.

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by natural for a shooter?

Perhaps in 007 games and other "realistic" shooters that might depend on it but when that type of mechanic is introduced, just like any other, it can cause noticeable changes to a game that never really needed it to begin with.

Also, how would ADS help benefit Halo and is there any proof?
nah im sick of every shooter being the same.i prefer variety,accepting mediocrity is not a good idea.
Agreed

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is like the precipice of being completely excited for the first time in years about Halo or potentially checking out of the franchise forever. Gut-check time.
That's how it felt after Reach being such a turd, but we had fresh blood handling the franchise, so there was a lot of hope. But now... Yeah, things are worse. 343 needs to knock it out of the park.

I said this on Twitter earlier, but man, I really love Halo. I want to see it return to its former glory so bad. Seeing that MLG tweet hit me big time.

iMax

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by natural for a shooter?

Perhaps in 007 games and other "realistic" shooters that might depend on it but when that type of mechanic is introduced, just like any other, it can cause noticeable changes to a game that never really needed it to begin with.

Also, how would ADS help benefit Halo and is there any proof?

Agreed

It's more natural in the sense that its a feature adopted by many games in the genre – just like others, like regenerative health, for example.

Is there any proof that it wouldn't benefit Halo?

Takashi

Not only does ADS require an animation to zoom in, but it slows down movement while zoomed in to help players aim better. Slowing down gameplay = no bueno.

Madness

It's more natural in the sense that its a feature adopted by many games in the genre – just like others, like regenerative health, for example.

Is there any proof that it wouldn't benefit Halo?

Think about it yourself. In a game where speed, movement, melee, grenades, vehicles, and a wide assortment of weapons come into play, what makes you think slowing to a crawl to look through a tiny sight will make the game better? Especially since your helmet/hud has a reticle that basically pinpoints where your shot will land, and that you have zoom in case you need to see further for weapons like sniper etc. There is no question it would detract from the fast paced gameplay of Halo. It's not needed, nor is it wanted.

itseXxSmaRQVE.gif

Watch this gif and tell me how the guy would benefit from ADS in this situation?

Aim-Down Sights (ADS) does not belong in Halo. The definitive guide (work in progress).

Essentially Aim-Down Sights is shorthand for gameplay mechanic in shooters where there are two discrete aiming modes: Aiming Down Sights (ADS) and Hipfire. This is the de facto standard for modern military themed shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield. By default, the player is in hipfire mode, which allows the player to look around quickly but generally not fire the weapon accurately. To fire accurately, you need to enter ADS which allows for more precise aiming by lowering the effective sensitivity of the controls, usually both the "look" stick and the "move" stick. This is fine for some games built around it. But Halo is not one of those games.

Halo gameplay (and this is pretty much all from a multiplayer perspective) is built around a golden triangle, where using traditional weapons is still very important but also where grenades and melee are vital to success. Halo also has longer kill times in general which make tracking other players in a battle more important since you have to apply damage to them over a longer period of time.

Since there is no real ADS barrier to aiming, players are more mobile while they fight, making maneuver during a firefight important. You can duck behind a pillar or jump to throw off a burst. But most importantly in my opinion, the lack of ADS means you can smoothly transition to other parts of the "triangle" instantly. There is no artificial choice between aiming your gun accurately and doing anything else. You can throw a nade at a wall to explode under a player chasing you and whip around and immediately start pouring bullets into his or her face and finish them off with a punch to the throat without having to enter what amounts to "shoot gun mode".

Halo-style, there are way more diverse choices available to players in most situations, and they aren't automatically screwed if they turn a corner and an opposing player is already ADS'd in down the hallway. Battles are decided more often by skillful use of movement, consistent aim over time, and exploitation of other parts of the triangle than first-shot accuracy. The lack of ADS also means that since players aim isn't boosted at medium or long ranges, they have an incentive to close the range where other parts of the triangle shine. That makes for more diverse and interesting encounters. This is fun (tm). If you do not find this fun, Halo is not your game.

You might hear people say Halo games already have ADS. Not really, in true ADS games the vast majority of shooting encounters involve ADS. In Halo zoom, even if available on the equipped weapon (which you cannot assume), is useful only in a subset of long-range encounters and is more clearly disadvantageous in short-range encounters (since long kill times require you to keep on-target longer).

People have suggested making ADS optional or purely cosmetic... Why? There is no point to have a feature that does not affect gameplay (which I'm not sure is even possible since it's at the very least going to mess with your view) but removes a button that could be used for something actually interesting.

----------

It's late, I'm tired, will re-read and prolly edit tomorrow, feedback welcome. I will be linking back to this whenever someone brings up how Halo should be Call of Duty but with power suits (and aren't they fucking making that already?).

Top Bottom