• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

iMax

Think about it yourself. In a game where speed, movement, melee, grenades, vehicles, and a wide assortment of weapons come into play, what makes you think slowing to a crawl to look through a tiny sight will make the game better? Especially since your helmet/hud has a reticle that basically pinpoints where your shot will land, and that you have zoom in case you need to see further for weapons like sniper etc. There is no question it would detract from the fast paced gameplay of Halo. It's not needed, nor is it wanted.

itseXxSmaRQVE.gif

Watch this gif and tell me how the guy would benefit from ADS in this situation?

Why can't there just be an option? Keep the existing crosshair but if people want to ADS, they can.

IHaveIce

Banned
Eugn shutting down those ADS freaks.
I just pray to Pentagod that people like the ADS supporters are in focus groups.. or 343 be smart and let halo fans test the game and put feedvack into it.
Or stream your dev process and give out feedback surveys....
Everythng is better than focus testing

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Logic doesn't work that way, it's not simply worth trying because it hasn't been proven detrimental. And vise-versa. The point is, you don't just suggest things other shoots because 'why not'. FPS's are a dime a dozen, and having more familiar gameplay across titles is the exact opposite the genre needs.

Also, there's basically no one begging for these things so I'd like to ask why the contrarians love just stoking the fire by mentioning gameplay mechanics that are absent in Halo; which therefore should be in Halo because why not.

Titanfall is Titanfall. CoD is CoD. Battlefield is Battlefield. The suggestions of some in the thread have nothing to do with keeping Halo modern as these other shooters. You all should be complaining about the lack of proper film and spectator features, a more robust playlist and party system among other things like Forge and other modes that don't disrupt Halo's sandbox. Those are the things that 343 needs to catch up with, or at least re-examine why some of those features worked so well in previous Halos.

Having a stupid DoF reticle on a game in which it's been absent since conception should not even be mentioned. These are defining characteristics of gameplay, it's not something like a feature. ADS isn't like simply an option for a loadout; it influences map design and FoV and pacing.

That's how it felt after Reach being such a turd, but we had fresh blood handling the franchise, so there was a lot of hope. But now... Yeah, things are worse. 343 needs to knock it out of the park.

I said this on Twitter earlier, but man, I really love Halo. I want to see it return to its former glory so bad. Seeing that MLG tweet hit me big time.

Oh same, that was what 4 years ago? When you played Halo since the beginning you can't help but have hope and be curious if it's 'still Halo.' I'll always check in I imagine, but without an Xbone at the moment I'm in a different position than those other times so we'll see!

edit- good stuff Prinz :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that some people think ADS is a 'natural' part of FPSs shows how homogenized the genre has become.

FyreWulff

The fact that some people think ADS is a 'natural' part of FPSs shows how homogenized the genre has become.

I remember how much the Goldeneye remake imitated CoD that people actually thought it was built off the CoD engine. Nope, original engine made for the game.

Or in other words, sigh, don't even get me started :(

Madness

I love how Halo is not considered realistic because there is no ADS in the game, but by the same metric, games like Call of Duty are not considered unrealistic while they somehow have recharging health, unlimited sprint, and instant kill knife stabs.

Thankfully, I've found people who want ADS in Halo are in the extreme minority, and I suspect it's based solely on the fact they haven't played past games in the series much and instead have played the myriad of other shooters available and have a tough time adapting to Halo.

iMax

I love how Halo is not considered realistic because there is no ADS in the game, but by the same metric, games like Call of Duty are not considered unrealistic while they somehow have recharging health, unlimited sprint, and instant kill knife stabs.

Thankfully, I've found people who want ADS in Halo are in the extreme minority, and I suspect it's based solely on the fact they haven't played past games in the series much and instead have played the myriad of other shooters available and have a tough time adapting to Halo.

I've played every Halo countless times. I haven't said once 'I want ADS'. I just don't think it would be the total disaster everyone's making it out to be if they did. There are ways to incorporate it in a balanced fashion.

WJD

Oh god that gif again ;_;

Regarding the above, I can't believe ADS is even up for discussion. It just cannot be a part of Halo whatsoever.

Madness

I've played every Halo countless times. I haven't said once 'I want ADS'. I just don't think it would be the total disaster everyone's making it out to be if they did. There are ways to incorporate it in a balanced fashion.

I didn't single you out, I'm speaking from experience of discussing this same issue on many different forums.

And while you didn't come out and say "you want ADS", almost all of your last few posts have been asking why it's not in Halo, why isn't it an option, that you wouldn't mind if it's there.

I don't know what more you want me and others to say. We've said it would detract from Halo gameplay. I asked how you think it would benefit Halo and yet you haven't given any reason. They can incorporate anything into Halo. The question is, whether the game is worse off, and whether or not it provides any clear benefit. I'm not sure it does at all. The people who want it in the game are a small minority. And in my anecdotal opinion, it's usually fans of other shooters who want it in Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes seeing HaloGAFers in other threads feels like running into a co-worker at the grocery store or something. Like "Whoa, what are you doing here?" That kind of goes to show how set apart HaloGAF is from the rest of the forum. Or maybe it's all just in my head.

iMax

I didn't single you out, I'm speaking from experience of discussing this same issue on many different forums.

And while you didn't come out and say "you want ADS", almost all of your last few posts have been asking why it's not in Halo, why isn't it an option, that you wouldn't mind if it's there.

I don't know what more you want me and others to say. We've said it would detract from Halo gameplay. I asked how you think it would benefit Halo and yet you haven't given any reason. They can incorporate anything into Halo. The question is, whether the game is worse off, and whether or not it provides any clear benefit. I'm not sure it does at all. The people who want it in the game are a small minority. And in my anecdotal opinion, it's usually fans of other shooters who want it in Halo.

All I've said is I wouldn't be disappointed if they added it. I think it would add to the experience, especially the way Halo 4 shifted the series' identity.

It's not something that really constitutes a debate as it's all subjective. Go back to Halo 2 mechanics and you might alienate all the Halo 4 players. And vice versa. Depends which route 343 wants to go down. I really don't care either way.

All I've said is I wouldn't be disappointed if they added it. I think it would add to the experience, especially the way Halo 4 shifted the series' identity.
Nothing is worse than trying to change the identity of an already proven and popular game. Reach was the beginning of the regression. Halo 4 tried to fix some problems, but only introduced more. I can't even imagine how fast Halo would tank if it became focused around ADS.
peewee_addition.jpg

I don't necessarily want it but I'm not going to freak out if they add it. I think it could work and I wouldn't complain if it was there.

Personally, I think it's natural for a shooter nowadays to have ADS.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112951579&postcount=13419
gso

It's more natural in the sense that its a feature adopted by many games in the genre – just like others, like regenerative health, for example.

Is there any proof that it wouldn't benefit Halo?
again, see above.

Think about it yourself. In a game where speed, movement, melee, grenades, vehicles, and a wide assortment of weapons come into play, what makes you think slowing to a crawl to look through a tiny sight will make the game better? Especially since your helmet/hud has a reticle that basically pinpoints where your shot will land, and that you have zoom in case you need to see further for weapons like sniper etc. There is no question it would detract from the fast paced gameplay of Halo. It's not needed, nor is it wanted.

itseXxSmaRQVE.gif

Watch this gif and tell me how the guy would benefit from ADS in this situation?
Madness with the .gif

Why can't there just be an option? Keep the existing crosshair but if people want to ADS, they can.

And how people want ADS in Halo shows they have bad taste for Halo.

Please. I don't want to argue or debate ADS. Just my thoughts.
Yet you say you want it for halo and give the basic "its in all gaems so it shud be in Hola" response

It's not something that really constitutes a debate as it's all subjective. Go back to Halo 2 mechanics and you might alienate all the Halo 4 players. And vice versa. Depends which route 343 wants to go down. I really don't care either way.

What would it add to the Halo experience? Halo 4 is closer to CoD than Halo, so why not alienate them? shit 343 alienated most of the real halo fans anyway.

iMax

gso

again, see above.

Madness with the .gif

And how people want ADS in Halo shows they have bad taste for Halo.

Yet you say you want it for halo and give the basic "its in all gaems so it shud be in Hola" response

What would it add to the Halo experience? Halo 4 is closer to CoD than Halo, so why not alienate them? shit 343 alienated most of the real halo fans anyway.

I have no idea what GSO means. I preferred Halo 4's play style over most, if not all of the others, so that's probably why I feel that way. Sorry for having a contrary opinion!

I have no idea what GSO means. I preferred Halo 4's play style over most, if not all of the others, so that's probably why I feel that way. Sorry for having a contrary opinion!

Also, you have failed twice to answer what ADS would add to the halo experience , and why its a good idea. once from Madness and once from myself.

What's changed? I didn't play Halo for a year or something like that, I think even more. I have a season pass but never saw the new maps.

the scale of that map and the character models. the fire rate on the BR, there are no medals in game (you get generic +10 shit), the speed has been tweaked, the BR damage has been tweaked, the ammo under the BR icon is slightly different.

Don't take it personally. You're talking with frustrated halo fans who have dealt with two consecutive halo games that couldn't be further from what made the first three so popular. Reach came in the Fall of 2010. So we've been waiting 4 years to get our classic halo fix and will have to wait another year if Halo 2A doesn't include matchmaking.

EDIT:
And that's assuming Halo 5 returns the series to what it's known for and without a bunch of nonsensical changes that seem to be there just for the sake of change.

Madness

Only reason I used that prerelease gif is because of how excited every Halo fan was after seeing it in numerous communities. Obviously the final product wasn't the same. But the use of the gif was to show just what a player encounter is sort of like, how the reticle is used, just a myriad of things.

I'll agree with Rosso in a sense, and if there was no flinch, I'd probably enjoy Halo 4 much more, especially something like Legendary BR's.

IHaveIce

Banned
Really don't see the problem with ADS.

?
For the community that watches their streams, given that are people who like halo and not simple focus groups that consist of random people who absolutely dislike halo

What I jzst wanted to say is 343has to be more transparent with their devprogress for the community, Killer Instinct and Priject Spark did it right. ( that also lowers the need for leaks Frank ;) )

Mistel

Banned
How and where do I download these map packs?
Xbox live store.
Eh. Sure you've got AAs to deal with but I'd argue that, at least in my experience, most encounters are just like the .gif.

One of the reasons I still play. Base gameplay is great
In some modes that's very apparent that the basics are there like legendary BR's. But in others like btb that doesn't come across at all.

iMax

So your favorite halo experience is the one that is the least halo like?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean 'least Halo 1-3' like? The series has evolved into something I enjoy more than its predecessors, yes.

Also, you have failed twice to answer what ADS would add to the halo experience , and why its a good idea. once from Madness and once from myself.

I'm not trying to have an argument with you dude, I'm just saying I'm open to it. I enjoyed the direction 343i took the series so I'm confident in whatever they decide to do. For me, I think ADS could add value and variety to the weaponry. There's no 'list of reasons' for me to present to you as the enjoyment associated with the addition (or not) of ADS is purely subjective, as you've shown already. Some will love it, some will not.

Don't take it personally. You're talking with frustrated halo fans who have dealt with two consecutive halo games that couldn't be further from what made the first three so popular. Reach came in the Fall of 2010. So we've been waiting 4 years to get our classic halo fix and will have to wait another year if Halo 2A doesn't include matchmaking.

EDIT:
And that's assuming Halo 5 returns the series to what it's known for and without a bunch of nonsensical changes that seem to be there just for the sake of change.

Yeah, it's difficult not to when somebody tells me to go shit on myself (thanks, Urban Dictionary!) for literally only voicing a contrary opinion, but oh well.

Of course I completely understand the frustration. I loved Halo 4. I love the new direction 343i are taking and I hope they continue evolving with Halo 5. In terms of maintaining the classic Halo formula, I think 343i and Sabre will probably bring it back with Halo 2: Anniversary, as Phil Spencer alluded to in the past. There's nothing to worry about there.

For better or worse, the player base is split. I wonder if it would be a good idea for 343i to keep the classic community thriving with a 'hardcore' playlist or something? Obviously it'd work but I'm not so sure they want to fragment the franchise's gameplay any more than it already is.

Faith

Just played a local match against my brother and daaamn my aiming is still pretty impressive.

And I thought I was way too old.

keezy

This past summer I traded in my 360 for a PS3. I'm regretting that decision right now... I miss playing Halo 3. Would it be a bad idea at this point to go pick up a refurbished console? After the Halo anniversary speculations.

This past summer I traded in my 360 for a PS3. I'm regretting that decision right now... I miss playing Halo 3. Would it be a bad idea at this point to go pick up a refurbished console? After the Halo anniversary speculations.

the anniversary game would be for the Xbox One, not the 360.

There will probably be deals for last gen consoles on black friday (if you live in US). So unless you're dying to play I'd recommend waiting

the anniversary game would be for the Xbox One, not the 360.

and that

Hype. Any word on season 2 characters? i read on a SRK forum post that they might be bringing in Riptor and Cinder.

Nothing yet. Pretty sure we'll see some new characters at E3 and EVO though. I would imagine Riptor and Cinder would come back since they're fan favorites, but I want all the originals to come back (even KI2 cast) since there's only 6 originals left.

Top Bottom