• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

I can see the straight H2 remake being cross gen with a gimped resolution / framerate (hoping it's not), but the collection altogether? No chance.

Absolutely no reason why Halo 2 A 360 couldn't run at 1080p and 60fps on 360. None whatsoever.

Re collection: 360 version would be Halo 2, plus a repackaging of Anniversary and 3 and 4. I mean, MS did bundle Anniversary and Reach as Halo: Origins, even after their sales prime had passed.

15047096_201312180133.jpg

There was also the Halo triple pack for the original Xbox, which was Halo 1, Halo 2, and the Halo 2 Map Pack in one box, well after the peak of sales.

5150FM9NJTL._SY300_.jpg

Omni

Absolutely no reason why Halo 2 A 360 couldn't run at 1080p and 60fps on 360. None whatsoever.
There was also no reason that Halo CEA couldn't have been the same. I can only assume that the extra graphics layer was very costly in the performance department.

So if they were to go the same route in Halo 2: Anniversary (which seems likely, no?) it seems incredibly improbable that it would run at 1080p/60 on the 360.

Re collection: 360 version would be Halo 2, plus a repackaging of Anniversary and 3 and 4. I mean, MS did bundle Anniversary and Reach as Halo: Origins, even after their sales prime had passed.

15047096_201312180133.jpg
Was that actually sold? I don't know of a single person who had even heard of that pack, let alone bought it. Even on other gaming forums.

TheOddOne

That's how we'll all feel after E3 lol.
This E3 will go down as the one that cause the downfall of humanity. There will be threads filled with blood, guts and hyperbole. Civilization will finally crumble and wars will be waged on every inch of earth. There will be no victors or losers, but there will be total annihilation of everything that once was sacred and cherished. 100 years from now a bill will pass in which videogames are outlawed. All of the remaining videogames will be burned from existence. And thus videogames were mere thing that use to exist long, long, ago.

There was also no reason that Halo CEA couldn't have been the same. I can only assume that the extra graphics layer was very costly in the performance department.

So if they were to go the same route in Halo 2: Anniversary (which seems likely, no?) it seems incredibly improbable that it would run at 1080p/60 on the 360.

Was that actually sold? I don't know of a single person who had even heard of that pack, let alone bought it. Even on other gaming forums.

I see it all the time at BestBuy.

Don't know what would make someone want to buy it, and evidently, no one else does, since the same copy has been collection dust at Bestbuy for like 3 months. I think they even sell it for around $29.99. lol

Daryl's Crossbow and the Future of the Boltshot

SPOILER ALERT: Zombies, in AMC's TV series "The Walking Dead", die when shot in the head; shooting them in the body does virtually no damage.

Daryl's signature weapon is a crossbow. Similar to the Boltshot, this weapon must be charged before it can be fired. Unlike the Boltshot, Daryl's Crossbow must achieve a headshot in order to kill a zombie.

A zombie is similar to a player with an Overshield in that they both eat bodyshots. Unlike an Overshield enemy, a zombie can be killed with a single headshot. The unique dicotemy of a zombie's damage resistance, between headshots, which are lethal, and bodyshots, which do virtually no damage, allows for two drastically different situations to play out depending on shot placement.

Zombie is hit with a bodyshot, taking virtually no damage.

Zombie is hit with a headshot, taking fatal damage.

If the charged Boltshot fired a single high-damage bolt, rather than a multitude of low-damage projectiles, it would behave more like Daryl's Crossbow.

If the single bolt, that the charged Boltshot fired, ignored shields, passing through all shield layers without damaging them, while dealing just one hitpoint of headshot capable damage to health, it would emulate the effects of Daryl's Crossbow, in regard to useless bodyshots and lethal headshots, heightening both the risk and reward factor in the weapon's operation because the head is smaller target than the body but offers a greater reward if hit.

Wahrer alt for sure. It's like he's not even trying anymore.

Fuchsdh

Well to be fair the people buying those bundles aren't the people frequenting video game forums.

FyreWulff

I went over this before:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99992108&postcount=14829

tl;dr CE was essentially very much set up to run in 30FPS. The PC port didn't even update the game animations from 30FPS, so you'll be running around in 60fps but elites are still attacking you in 30FPS. They exploited this limitation and the added power of the 360, though, to do 3D.

Halo 2's PC port, however, updated the animations in the game to be 60fps compatible. So that work has already been done this time around.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, what. Are you saying the Elites are slower in Halo PC than the player if you're playing at 60fps (or higher)? In other words, is the game easier?

FyreWulff

Wait, what. Are you saying the Elites are slower in Halo PC than the player if you're playing at 60fps (or higher)? In other words, is the game easier?

They're not slower, the animations on anything they do that's particularly fast, like melee swings, will look noticeably choppy however.

Woorloog

Banned
They're not slower, the animations on anything they do that's particularly fast, like melee swings, will look noticeably choppy however.

Ah, that makes sense. Not that i ever noticed any choppiness. Thought this would have implied they'd be easier, which isn't the case in my experience.

Are there any games where the enemies would be locked to 30fps though, in actions too? EDIT just wondering. I do remember that some old games are too fast in modern computers even when frame rate is low. Just wondering if kind of reverse can happen.

Mistel

Banned
The only thing I can think of is the Alonne Knights and Captains in dark souls 2 have borked attack animations. Like twice as fast as they are meant to be or something similar.

FyreWulff

Ah, that makes sense. Not that i ever noticed any choppiness. Thought this would have implied they'd be easier, which isn't the case in my experience.

Are there any games where the enemies would be locked to 30fps though, in actions too? EDIT just wondering. I do remember that some old games are too fast in modern computers even when frame rate is low. Just wondering if kind of reverse can happen.

Technically possible for it to happen, can't think of a game off hand that has the issue though

AlStrong

Painkiller might have had an issue with framerate & time. I recall the game slowing down if my framerate was low.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Anyone see this? Saw it pop up on reddit and thought it was really cool. For those on the Halo 5 hype train (not just on the H2A hype train) this might be a cool thing to watch to ease out the time until E3.

http://vimeo.com/95505243

EDIT: Just realized it was 2 weeks old. Not sure if it was posted on this already but if it was I apologize.

I really don't know what to expect at E3.
First time going.

Already gave my advice in this thread:

- If you get invited to a party with an open bar, grab a barstool and pound beers as quickly as possible. Eventually the free drinks will run out, and THEN you can go be sociable. Record every conversation on your cameraphone so you can easily transcribe it the next day.
- E3 "veterans" might tell you it's tacky to go around asking for free shirts, but game companies actually love seeing attendees take a shirt and immediately put it on. Just be sure to go to the bathroom and change once you've got five or six layers on - you don't want to overheat.
- Never wait in line. Just walk up to the booth attendants and explain that you are from NeoGAF. They'll take it from there. It can be loud on the show floor, so you might have to repeat yourself a few times.
- If a game doesn't have free shirts, don't be afraid to point at other things around the booth and ask for them (artwork, keyboards, booth attendant shirts). They probably won't need that stuff after E3 anyways.
- If you see any gaming personalities, DO NOT HESITATE to walk up and give them a surprise hug. Especially if they're talking to a camera! They really like how "down to earth" it makes them look on video. Don't regret missing the perfect opportunity to embrace someone you follow on Twitter.

Just avoid the shady characters at the Activision booth and you'll be fine.

AND EAT RAMEN.

There are some amazing Ramen shops in little Tokyo, not ten minutes from the convention center.

Only ramen I've ever had was made from those Maruchan bricks they sell for $0.20 at the grocery store. That shit got me through college. Surely it can't get better than that.

I keed, I keed. I'll give real ramen a try next week.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'll eventually be there for a GAF E3 meetup. Thinking about saving a good chunk of every paycheck between now and then and giving the trip to myself as a graduation gift.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Man, now that we know Bald Man Doll is the big 2014 reveal, how do you guys plan on playing with it?

I'm personally going to poke some holes in the head with a pin and add chia seeds and hope for the best!

Of the original trilogy what melee system did people prefer?

The lunge system was a big addition in 3 plus it's increased power, you could say it was very noob friendly.

Top Bottom