• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Dub117

Yes. The 6 Halo 2 Anniversary variants are maps built from the ground up using a new engine. Their classic counterparts, along with the rest of the Halo 2 maps are not visually upgraded aside from 1080p60. I would hope that they would increase the texture resolution (like from the PC version) at least, and perhaps apply some sort of AA for dem jaggies, but that remains to be seen.

edit: oops, I don't work for 343 lol. This is just based on what I've read over the past few days.

--

What do people here think about the interrogator at the beginning of Halo 4 being Agent Locke?
Well she says the others were naval Intel and you aren't. Doesn't Locke have the ONI tag on his armour? So he would be naval Intel... Not saying he couldn't have joined after this took place.

While that would be cool, would it really make sense in the timeline? Halsey was being interrogated, then was later kidnapped. MC was with the UNSC after that interrogation took place, so if Locke was looking for MC then surely he would've found him already.

Interesting though if they connect that.

More speculation: I don't think he was looking for Chief at this point, rather, trying to glean information about him from Halsey. Or force some sort of admission from her.

This part stands out especially, when you listen to the intonations and reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjA6rB98Yk#t=135

Interrogator: "Do you believe the Master Chief succeeded because he was, at his core, broken?"
Halsey: "What does John have to do with this? …you want to replace him."
Interrogator: "The Master Chief is dead."
Halsey: "His file reads 'Missing in Action'."
Interrogator: Catherine, Spartans never die?

He challenges her, almost angrily when he says the word broken - and immediately Halsey recognizes something weird about that question, and deduces his intent.

He says the Master Chief is dead... seems almost sombre-like.

Now in the timeline, at this point, everyone believes Chief is dead - even this character. So when Halsey says he's MIA, he sort of challenges the adage of "Spartans Never Die" in a pretty condescending tone.

I think he wants to be the "next" Chief. The new beacon of humanity, the celebrity. He seems almost jealous, as if trying to specifically discredit Chief (at first seems like he's trying to discredit the Spartan II program, but his fishing tips Halsey off). This could also just be her first finding out about the Spartan IV program, and this guy is one of the designers.

Now Chief coming back during Halo 4 makes it kind of weird... though he didn't have all that much down time, really. Wild theory? This Agent Locke guy tries to kill Chief after Halo 4, when he goes to investigate New Phoenix, hence the broken armour and cloak in the reveal trailer. Maybe under instruction of Osman at ONI, maybe under his own volition. Chief takes off after finding something... maybe a message from someone. I guess that next Escalation comic vol. 8 would debunk this.

Arbiter seems to not trust the guy, based on what he says in the teaser, but he also seems to think that he is the only hope in finding Chief. Arbiter is responsible for "turning" Agent Locke.

Halo 5 Guardians. Chief, Arbiter, Agent Locke.

/wildspeculation

Nirvana

If this is the case, that's really lame. This remake is starting to feel incredibly halfassed to me. Going from upgraded to regular graphics per match is going to be so fucking jarring. Why would they only give that treatment to six maps?

Likely due to the 100+ multiplayer maps, Halo 5, updating Halo 2 with the anniversary engine etc.etc.

I also think they have to run it with an updated underpinning engine, which is really just Halo 4/5 with Halo 2 layered over the top of it, which means it will play differently to Halo 2. So they are showing us what the engine can do, in a way that pays homage to Halo 2 and giving us the original experience as well.

I don't think halfassed is the right word(s) to use when talking about a package containing this much content...for standard game price.

Omni

If this is the case, that's really lame. This remake is starting to feel incredibly halfassed to me. Going from upgraded to regular graphics per match is going to be so fucking jarring. Why would they only give that treatment to six maps?
You realise the scope of what they're doing right? Four games are being ported at once onto a single disc. They're completely remastering one of the campaigns and all of it is running at 1080p and 60fps. Plus all the other stuff they're putting into the game. I don't see how any of this is half assed.

But if it's so fucking jarring switching between maps then don't play in a playlist that does that.

antigoon

You realise the scope of what they're doing right? Four games are being ported at once onto a single disc. They're completely remastering one of the campaigns and all of it is running at 1080p and 60fps. Plus all the other stuff they're putting into the game. I don't see how any of this is half assed.

But if it's so fucking jarring switching between maps then don't play in a playlist that does that.

Agreed. I mean, come on. This package is insane. I'm gonna want to play in the original engine for the vast majority of the time, anyway. Don't really need pop-up kill text in my Halo 2.

BigShow36

They could shit in the box and I would still pay $60 for it if the only thing included was CE Multiplayer in it's original form online and playable.

Come to think of it, Halo 2, 3 and 4 basically are shit so that's pretty much what I'm getting anyway.

789shadow

Banned
ibfQIGo2HZevEM.gif

Thermite

Likely due to the 100+ multiplayer maps, Halo 5, updating Halo 2 with the anniversary engine etc.etc.

I also think they have to run it with an updated underpinning engine, which is really just Halo 4/5 with Halo 2 layered over the top of it, which means it will play differently to Halo 2. So they are showing us what the engine can do, in a way that pays homage to Halo 2 and giving us the original experience as well.

I don't think halfassed is the right word(s) to use when talking about a package containing this much content...for standard game price.

Four games that were already made by a different developer. Lets not act like they made four games from scratch. I have no doubt porting is a pretty difficult job, but a majority of the groundwork was already laid by Bungie. And I never said the overall package is halfassed, I said the remake is halfassed - which seemingly it is. Either you remake Halo 2 or don't. Don't give us a game with only a portion of the online content being updated. Something that is food for thought - about a year or so ago, Halo 1/2/3 was in a steam database (which basically means a PC version at one point was 100% real). It's interesting that they never came out on PC and yet now they're here in this Master Chief collection.

And what if I don't have a choice to not play Halo 2 in a playlist that doesn't have the graphical differences? Are there going to be separate playlists? Will they be ranked or unranked? 2v2, 4v4 or BTB? If you start creating all these different playlists in 3 different games, you're going to spread the community too thin and that's going to introduce a whole other set of problems. The Xbone numbers aren't exactly large at the moment, and the Halo interest isn't as strong as it once was. It's a real possibility that some of the playlists in this collection are pretty barren just a few months after release if there are too many.

They could shit in the box and I would still pay $60 for it if the only thing included was CE Multiplayer in it's original form online and playable.

Come to think of it, Halo 2, 3 and 4 basically are shit so that's pretty much what I'm getting anyway.

I have no doubt that you, and a lot of other people that post in here, would eat shit in a box as long as it came from 343.

Well she says the others were naval Intel and you aren't. Doesn't Locke have the ONI tag on his armour? So he would be naval Intel... Not saying he couldn't have joined after this took place.

More wild speculation: She assumes as much. Halsey is incredibly perceptive, she clues in right as the guy asking: "...do you think the... Spartans' lack of basic humanity helped?" She says, body language suggesting quite surprised or confused: "What are you after? The others before you were Naval Intelligence... but you... you're something else." Doesn't necessarily mean he isn't ONI. I imagine only ONI would be allowed to even interrogate Halsey. I take it as her seeing through that, as him being something "more", with an ulterior motive not directly aligning with the previous ONI interrogations. Was the Spartan IV program hidden from ONI? Not that I know. So why would this guy be asking questions like this?

He's trying to get her to admit that the Spartan II's, and Chief specifically are flawed due to their lack of basic humanity. Why? Because he is obsessed (maybe "brainwashed" by ONI). Because he wants to be Chief (Halsey: "You want to replace him"). Though Halo 4's story, and ending, shows us that Chief is discovering his humanity, so we know that that isn't true.

Also, he is in shadows the entire time. Why wouldn't they show the interrogator? What would that accomplish? Who is this guy? Why is he being hidden from us, when no one else related to the Spartan IV program or ONI itself was. They're hiding him for a reason. Insurrectionist? Top-secret Covie informant? I can't really think of a good reason other than we aren't supposed to know yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mui5LuTQReg

We see Locke in a Covenant-looking room somewhere, maybe Sanghelios, observing floating video holograms of Chief, from scenes in previous Halo games (and the Halo 5 reveal teaser).

If you pause the video at just the right time (about 1:32), you see he is with the Arbiter standing right next to him, and also a couple seconds later reflecting in his visor.

Arbiter's message to Locke in the teaser:
To find him, you have to forget the stories, forget the legends.
You have to do more than walk in his footsteps, for he is more than the sum of his actions.
I tell you this, not because I trust you, Agent Locke, but because ALL our lives are at stake. Because the seeds of our future are sewn in his past.

Arbiter is being pretty poetic here. Telling him to forget the stories (his preconceived notions of who and what Chief really is). That he is more than the sum of his actions (succeeding at saving humanity, which the interrogator presses Halsey is due to his lack of humanity). Arbiter doesn't trust him. Why? Because he, or ONI, tried to kill Chief. But this guy is so good, "do more than walk in his footsteps" (not just replacing Chief, live through Chief's exploits via Halo MC Collection, Prologue and Epilogue being set before CE and after Halo 4 suggests this to me). Arbiter seems to fear some greater threat, and that they must work together to find Chief, because "the seeds of our future are sewn in his past". (maybe a geas of some kind? possibly related to Cortana? Maybe related to the Librarian's little enhancement that she gave to Chief? I don't know what this means...).

I'm going too crazy in this I think, lol. But that's my theory.

antigoon

Thermite, a huge appeal of the Halo 2 port to me (and others) is that the multiplayer is going to be intact - just how it was 10 years ago. Yeah, it's nice that they're including the 6 redone maps with the new engine along with Forge, but it's just an extra thing on top of the original experience. I don't think it's fair to demand a comprehensive remake of the entire multiplayer suite, especially with everything else we're getting, and extra-especially because the original experience is a large part of the appeal for many players.

More speculation: I don't think he was looking for Chief at this point, rather, trying to glean information about him from Halsey. Or force some sort of admission from her.

This part stands out especially, when you listen to the intonations and reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjA6rB98Yk#t=135

He challenges her, almost angrily when he says the word broken - and immediately Halsey recognizes something weird about that question, and deduces his intent.

He says the Master Chief is dead... seems almost sombre-like.

Now in the timeline, at this point, everyone believes Chief is dead - even this character. So when Halsey says he's MIA, he sort of challenges the adage of "Spartans Never Die" in a pretty condescending tone.

I think he wants to be the "next" Chief. The new beacon of humanity, the celebrity. He seems almost jealous, as if trying to specifically discredit Chief (at first seems like he's trying to discredit the Spartan II program, but his fishing tips Halsey off). This could also just be her first finding out about the Spartan IV program, and this guy is one of the designers.

Now Chief coming back during Halo 4 makes it kind of weird... though he didn't have all that much down time, really. Wild theory? This Agent Locke guy tries to kill Chief after Halo 4, when he goes to investigate New Phoenix, hence the broken armour and cloak in the reveal trailer. Maybe under instruction of Osman at ONI, maybe under his own volition. Chief takes off after finding something... maybe a message from someone. I guess that next Escalation comic vol. 8 would debunk this.

Arbiter seems to not trust the guy, based on what he says in the teaser, but he also seems to think that he is the only hope in finding Chief. Arbiter is responsible for "turning" Agent Locke.

Halo 5 Guardians. Chief, Arbiter, Agent Locke.

/wildspeculation
I like you. Like, like like you. Can't wait to find out more! Just talking about this gets me hyped; The Arbiter is back baby <3
I hope we get some videos of Halo CE being played online via the MC Collection soon.
lol
You obviously don't know me very well.
Or anyone else here apparently.
haha

willow ve

I have no doubt that you, and a lot of other people that post in here, would eat shit in a box as long as it came from 343.
Either you're trolling, trying to pick a fight, or whining just to hear yourself whine. Have you even read 75% of HaloGAF over the past few years. The overwhelming majority shit on 343 to the point that many fans left due to either hating Halo 4 or being sick of the constant negativity

And I never said the overall package is halfassed, I said the remake is halfassed - which seemingly it is. Either you remake Halo 2 or don't. Don't give us a game with only a portion of the online content being updated.
The H2 campaign is being given the CEA treatment, and every single multiplayer map from the game is being included with a pretty big upscale in graphical quality and framerate. How is that half-assed? I look at the additional remade maps as some sort of odd bonus; not sure why they felt it was necessary other than to perhaps attract more players to an H4 playlist (which is where I imagine they would be), but it's no reason to think that it would have been better spent working on doing something better for the overall collection. And really, what more could you expect or want? Every single Halo multiplayer map is going to be running out of a central hub that can be accessed without having to jump through additional hoops to get from CE - 4. I'm still unsure of how the playlists will work out myself but, until we get a little more information, I'm more than happy to just enjoy the moment.

Booties

Banned
Thermite, a huge appeal of the Halo 2 port to me (and others) is that the multiplayer is going to be intact - just how it was 10 years ago. Yeah, it's nice that they're including the 6 redone maps with the new engine along with Forge, but it's just an extra thing on top of the original experience. I don't think it's fair to demand a comprehensive remake of the entire multiplayer suite, especially with everything else we're getting, and extra-especially because the original experience is a large part of the appeal for many players.

While it is nice to have more, the concern is that this further complicates an already confusing setup. Adding another 6 maps on a new engine/mod will make it feel even further split. It would have been better to either do all halo 2 maps this way (probably impossible and not expected at all) or to just leave it as is (which is what people wanted originally). I agree that they should have gone all or nothing with this. I don't understand the decision, but as long as I have the option for original H2/1080p/60fps, then I'll be fine. But it's still going to be confusing for a lot of people.

"Oh, which game am I playing? Halo 2? Is this the halo 4 version? I forget."

It just reminds me of when certain playlists in reach had different bloom settings. Simpler usually is better. I won't stop feeling uneasy about this until they fully flesh out the multiplayer lists or until I see it for myself. Still hyped. Still buying an xbox one for this game.

I think the real issue is that none of you know thermite

duh

Booshka

We're not actually upset that there are only six H2 maps that look like shitty Halo 4 visuals right? Play the game in its original form, 1080p 60FPS, that's all you need, who gives a shit about some shiny new graphics, the game will look and feel great because of the resolution and framerate, not because of some new visuals. I saw the Sniper model in Halo 2 Anniversary graphics and immediately checked out, it looks terrible.

Booties

Banned
We're not actually upset that there are only six H2 maps that look like shitty Halo 4 visuals right? Play the game in its original form, 1080p 60FPS, that's all you need, who gives a shit about some shiny new graphics, the game will look and feel great because of the resolution and framerate, not because of some new visuals. I saw the Sniper model in Halo 2 Anniversary graphics and immediately checked out, it looks terrible.

No, Booshka, we're worried that they may just further dilute things.

If they updated the mechanics of Halo 4 gameplay to be similar to Halo 2, I think the H2A maps have potential.

Tower of Power with a few Sticky Detonators? Could be interesting ;]

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Anyone who seen the shield/bubble thing on the Ascension remake. I believe it's controlled by a switch on mid level of big tower.

ascenswitch_zps98a1bc20.png

(you can see this "switch" has a hologram which looks similar to the center structure)
If this turns out to be true, I think it could be pretty interesting for team play.

Half-assed isn't right to say when there's two games that are remastered and ported next to Halo 3 & 4.

Now my question is since CEA on 360 had the remade maps with Reach gameplay in it. Are we not getting those remade maps since Halo CEA will be played in its own engine Not the Reach engine?

Caladrius

Half-assed isn't right to say when there's two games that are remastered and ported next to Halo 3 & 4.

Now my question is since CEA on 360 had the remade maps with Reach gameplay in it. Are we not getting those remade maps since Halo CEA will be played in its own engine Not the Reach engine?

Nope, since Reach isn't being ported.

I wish they could have been able to stick it and ODST in there too. Those are my favorite Halo games. :(

belushy

Banned
Speaking of playlists, how was CE an option under Grifball? I don't think I've seen anyone address that.

Definitely a placeholder. They were just showcasing how the UI will look, and how it will blur out certain games in certain playlists to show what is in what. Just from the looks of it, a lot of the UI is placeholder.

Top Bottom