• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
I'm actually worried they aren't going to have a themed Master Chief Collection console. Instead, I probably figure most people are going to splurge on Black Friday XBO / MCC deals, updated XBO (slim?) revealed early Q2 2015, with a Halo 5-themed XBO Slim coming out in late Q3 / early Q4 along with Halo 5.

Oh, they will. It was previously hinted.

Buwx

lol, not talking about Destiny here, my friend, no...

Something much bigger.

BELI343

I'm confused by this... Are we talking Halo or no? Despite us already being spoiled, I'd love some more announcements. But my newbie-ignorance (in conjunction with a 3-AM brain smoothie) obviously has no idea who that user really is, so... Can someone enlighten me? Are they 343i... Or Bungie? Or neither?

Nirvana

One of the maps I'm looking forward to playing the most is Avalanche on Halo 3. Absolutely loved that map, one of the best DLC maps released.

Also super glad to hear that we definitely have dedicated playlists for each game, and that Tombstone and Desolation are in.

343 pulling out all the stops to make this a great experience for veteran Halo fans.

I did actually play Halo 4 the other night for the first time in a year. Was amazed how quickly I was top of the scoreboard again, felt good. I actually enjoyed playing it, so it's inclusion in the collection is something I'm happy with. The more choice the better.

Omni

I think the otherside to this collection is that now 343i can do whatever the hell they want in H5. They've given us the Halo we love and we're gonna be able to play it for a decade. But any new games from this point on will be drastically different to what we've come to expect (I think I recall someone from 343i saying that they felt restrained during development of Halo 4 because they had to make a Halo game or something along those lines in an interview)

Not that it's a bad thing. Innovation is good. But I am curious to see where they take it.

wwm0nkey

I think the otherside to this collection is that now 343i can do whatever the hell they want in H5. They've given us the Halo we love and we're gonna be able to play it for a decade. But any new games from this point on will be drastically different to what we've come to expect (I think I recall someone from 343i saying that they felt restrained during development of Halo 4 because they had to make a Halo game or something along those lines in an interview)

Not that it's a bad thing. Innovation is good. But I am curious to see where they take it.
Seems like they are doing the smart thing and taking the Halo gameplay and replacing armor abilities with default traits that everyone starts with. I'm REALLY interested to see what they do with that because it can be really cool and not break the formula.

Seems like they are doing the smart thing and taking the Halo gameplay and replacing armor abilities with default traits that everyone starts with. I'm REALLY interested to see what they do with that because it can be really cool and not break the formula.
Let's hope. I'm skeptical about any and all changes anymore lol. I do think if the spartan abilities are inherent, and power ups return as pickups only, that's a definite step in the right direction. I'm not a fan of sprint and all of the extras, but I really hope they at least remove jetpack from multiplayer or make it a temporary pickup that say runs out of fuel after 30 seconds. No matter how they try and swing it or make maps that account for it, the jetpack is not something that can be balanced properly within a halo game. It breaks so many important parts of the game. Map movement is ruined, it takes melee completely out of the triangle, and then grenades are meaningless.

EDIT:
One of the maps I'm looking forward to playing the most is Avalanche on Halo 3. Absolutely loved that map, one of the best DLC maps released.
I think my favorite Halo 3 DLC map was Standoff, with Citadel right behind it. Both were excellent maps. Standoff was ruined by vehicles and the laser. Otherwise, it was fantastic.

Nirvana

I wonder how stats will be tracked for the 4 titles? Since Bungie has all of the stats for Halo 2 and 3, I would guess that your 2/3 stats wont be added to the original numbers, but I would assume all Halo 4 games would be added to the ones on Waypoint.

I will also be a bit sad that I wont get my General back in Halo 3, since I got it towards the end of the game's life, and if the netcode isn't fixed I don't think (as an Australian) I can suffer through yellow bar games up to 50 like I did last time.

There are a few things I'm confused about with Halo 3 specifically:

1. Will be get Recon if we completed the Vidmasters? Since the achievements spanned across 3 and ODST I'm not sure how we would be able to do them again, unless you just have to do the Halo 3 ones over.

2. Achievements in general - are they going to be the same? Will we just have to redo them? That seems a little pointless to me. Getting all of the achievements in Halo 3 was annoying enough the first time round (double kill with Splaser in FFA anyone?) I would rather they just created new achievements to be honest.

Someone was saying they should create new Vidmasters for the Bungie flames, I would wholeheartedly agree with this. As someone who was part of the 'search for Recon' when Luke gave a bunch of cryptic clues about how to unlock it (which turned out to be trolls), I always wanted those illusive flames.

I also want to point out that if the Xbone had been backwards compatible we probably wouldn't have gotten the MCC; every cloud has a silver lining etc.etc.

/randyrant

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member

I thought the campaign in Halo 4 was great, and the story was a bold step forward that I thoroughly enjoyed, though I'm a hardcore fiction fan so it will appeal to me but not to others. And it may have overwhelmed other players as well. I feel Halo 4 was sadly let down with certain aspects of multiplayer and Spartan Ops. Spartan Ops itself was a great idea in principle but the repetative nature of the maps resulted in a tiresome experience, aparta from when the Knights invaded the Infinity. I liked that Episode.

But, I too, am looking forward to seeing what they do with Halo 5.

TheOddOne

ROWFDm1.png
dexter.gif

I dunno. I mean, I think there were two main thoughts behind this collection:

1. Halo games will have spanned 3 console generations, and continuing the story going forward was asking a lot from potential new fans. Consolidating everything on one platform makes it much easier to digest going forward.
2. Fan service.

I'm not convinced that necessarily means they will just up and pull the ground from underneath the feet of people who have played the collection. Everything they've talked about and hinted toward Halo 5 seems to point to them trying to make it more "pure". I have no doubts there will be a much wider variety of play styles this time around, as far as the gap between Arena-style and BTB-style goes. With Campaign, who knows, I'd like them to go nuts. Any other modes I'd like to see them go nuts with as well. I'm hesitant to ask for them to try their hand at episodic story content again, though, so revisiting the Firefight concept would be awesome.

I wonder how stats will be tracked for the 4 titles? Since Bungie has all of the stats for Halo 2 and 3, I would guess that your 2/3 stats wont be added to the original numbers, but I would assume all Halo 4 games would be added to the ones on Waypoint.

I will also be a bit sad that I wont get my General back in Halo 3, since I got it towards the end of the game's life, and if the netcode isn't fixed I don't think (as an Australian) I can suffer through yellow bar games up to 50 like I did last time.

Dedicated servers should alleviate that somewhat. Isn't there a datacentre in Aus?

There are a few things I'm confused about with Halo 3 specifically:

1. Will be get Recon if we completed the Vidmasters? Since the achievements spanned across 3 and ODST I'm not sure how we would be able to do them again, unless you just have to do the Halo 3 ones over.

If armour customization is indeed in, then I imagine it will either be tied to new achievements, or everything unlocked from the get-go (they mentioned everything unlocked as far as campaign levels go, so I'm inclined to believe this will be the case)

2. Achievements in general - are they going to be the same? Will we just have to redo them? That seems a little pointless to me. Getting all of the achievements in Halo 3 was annoying enough the first time round (double kill with Splaser in FFA anyone?) I would rather they just created new achievements to be honest.

Some old, some new. 343 briefly touched on this. Hopefully the ridiculous ones get swapped.

Someone was saying they should create new Vidmasters for the Bungie flames, I would wholeheartedly agree with this. As someone who was part of the 'search for Recon' when Luke gave a bunch of cryptic clues about how to unlock it (which turned out to be trolls), I always wanted those illusive flames.

I also want to point out that if the Xbone had been backwards compatible we probably wouldn't have gotten the MCC; every cloud has a silver lining etc.etc.

/randyrant
Some answers in bold.
I would love to see new Vidmasters. Highly challenging achievements are a lot of fun. I like the idea of rewarding a marathon playthrough of Halo 1-4 with an achievement.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member

1. Halo games will have spanned 3 console generations, and continuing the story going forward was asking a lot from potential new fans. Consolidating everything on one platform makes it much easier to digest going forward.
2. Fan service.

I'm not convinced that necessarily means they will just up and pull the ground from underneath the feet of people who have played the collection. Everything they've talked about and hinted toward Halo 5 seems to point to them trying to make it more "pure". I have no doubts there will be a much wider variety of play styles this time around, as far as the gap between Arena-style and BTB-style goes. With Campaign, who knows, I'd like them to go nuts. Any other modes I'd like to see them go nuts with as well. I'm hesitant to ask for them to try their hand at episodic story content again, though, so revisiting the Firefight concept would be awesome.

I think that if 343i had just kept Halo 4 the same as Reach or Halo 3 there probably would have been an outcry, with fans complaining about a lack of creativity or daring. If they do too much then they're steering away from the core ethos of Halo. It's a tricky balancing act, really. But like you've said, it does look as they are going back to the origins of Halo games, utilising the MCC as a test bed for future iterations.

2. Fan service.

I think most fans will be ready to move forward with Halo 5 by the time it comes around. Its interesting to imagine how many that just don't want to move on and are happy playing the originals. Which is completely fine :D I am interested in halo 5's inherent abilities and how it moves the pure halo feel forward. Halo 5 had the best core code to me. Great movement, the guns felt nice and the aiming was very smooth(moving the look pitch around). Too much Aim assist / bullet magnetism & too many strange things sprinkled on top of it that made the game play frustrating outside of controlled custom games.

I think that if 343i had just kept Halo 4 the same as Reach or Halo 3 there probably would have been an outcry, with fans complaining about a lack of creativity or daring. If they do too much then they're steering away from the core ethos of Halo. It's a tricky balancing act, really. But like you've said, it does look as they are going back to the origins of Halo games, utilising the MCC as a test bed for future iterations.

Don't kid yourself there is always an online outcry with every Halo game, CE being the first was the exception. Personally with MCC delivering the goodies I'd like to see a new direction/design attempt with Halo 5.

Eh, I shouldn't get too "emotional" into news, wait for more information but I admitted since I've heard this collection was real, I've been extremely impatient for some reason, like I need to know everything. Sorry if I contributed to any derail, especially when I read customs only for game specific the past few pages.

Everyone all aboard the hype train again. Apologies to Frankie too.

All in the game yo. All good hype trains go runaway and rollercoaster. Plus, for the first time in forever, the custodians of Halo appear to be in a very obliging mood. We haven't seen MS as eager to please in a long time. Things like finally giving Halo fans CE online, decisions on Tombstone and Desolation changing within 24 hours and a beta for Halo 5 coming 9 months before launch points to a company far more pliable to feedback should certain issues gain traction within the community.

I've never played 8v8 CTF on Sidewinder, look forward to it.

Looking forward to Halo 3 BTB in general. P2P netcode made H3 BTB highly sporadic but dedi's should provide a glorious experience.

P.S A baldaquin rank for four Halo's would be silly. Just because these experiences all appear on one disc, does not make them the same game. These are games sepearated by 3 to five years of development time, with differing gameplay philosophies, netcodes, grenade arcs, movement and on and on it goes....

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
Don't kid yourself there is always an online outcry with every Halo game, CE being the first was the exception. Personally with MCC delivering the goodies I'd like to see a new direction/design attempt with Halo 5.

I know there's always been some backlash, with some fans hanging on to the past with each release. But Halo 4 was a brave step in a new direction. Some of it worked, some of it not so much. But I'm glad 343i tried to be different -- dared to be different.

But, like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Halo 5.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Just got the HC of Initiation 3 pages in "But now, with the Master Chief lost, and the others all missing in action", "Our Guardians are gone" ...... Probs old news but just thought it was cool now knowing what Halo 5 is going to be.

And seeing the Jun and Palmer ODST to Spartan part looking forward to seeing Bucks story somewhere along the line.

Bookmark all you want, if they do some kind of miraclous 180 from halo 4s crappy campaign and multiplayer ill play it...but realistically there's little reason to be excited about it

Mix

I'm confused by this... Are we talking Halo or no? Despite us already being spoiled, I'd love some more announcements. But my newbie-ignorance (in conjunction with a 3-AM brain smoothie) obviously has no idea who that user really is, so... Can someone enlighten me? Are they 343i... Or Bungie? Or neither?

lol, I guess you'll just have to wait and see! Not long now...

Madness

That Admiral Hood is pretty crazy. Even if it's CGI why are so many upset it's not in-engine? I mean sure there will be a little "break" in the flow/cohesiveness of the experience, but just look at quality. Can't wait to see how Keyes looks either, or Tartarus.

That Admiral Hood is pretty crazy. Even if it's CGI why are so many upset it's not in-engine? I mean sure there will be a little "break" in the flow/cohesiveness of the experience, but just look at quality. Can't wait to see how Keyes looks either, or Tartarus.
Hopefully Gravemind doesn't look like a talking plant made from playdoe

Bookmark all you want, if they do some kind of miraclous 180 from halo 4s crappy campaign and multiplayer ill play it...but realistically there's little reason to be excited about it
No AAs, Arena focus and no Loadouts for the gamemodes we'll see in the beta, Map Control is back,... - Sounds like a good start to me.

Really hope 343i will bring back Invasion (even in a Spartan vs Spartan version)

Top Bottom