• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

It all came together when i stumbled upon this. It all fit together so nicely. The map is (now) a photographic reconnaissance satellite. The 3 coloured panels are filters, or gells, used to take accurate colour photos of targets on distant planets.

DB6gpK0.gif

jk, played it tonight, had a great time!

Appreciate ya letting me tag along and build weird ceilings, had alotta fun those nights.

DB6gpK0.gif

jk, played it tonight, had a great time!

Appreciate ya letting me tag along and build weird ceilings, had alotta fun those nights.

I'll try and catch you some time this week so we can talk scripting, but if our schedules don't line up I'll snag a copy of your longshore and script a general concept of what I'm thinking.

Not counting actual pieces, but including the base tunnel how many "links" are there in the extendi-bridge overall?

nillapuddin

I'll try and catch you some time this week so we can talk scripting, but if our schedules don't line up I'll snag a copy of your longshore and script a general concept of what I'm thinking.

Not counting actual pieces, but including the base tunnel how many "links" are there in the extendi-bridge overall?

heres a quick capture of what the intended function should be*

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nillapuddin626/video/15269700

all my previous attempts at this have the issue that, it might extend perfectly once, but any subsequent attempts fail (pieces going farther/shorter than scripted)

* I am going to add another section to it, I want to ensure the flag carrier can jump up and thruster into the tube from top Red

nillapuddin

iKampfer did a video feature of my Rats Nest, BTB Slayer full game video

Never met or spoke with the guy, but I've known of him for along time. If nothing else, maybe this will get my map exposed to a new demographic....
(shutters at the sound of gamechat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtpUSwnt01o

Glad my map looked good though, seemed to play well, disappointed nobody got on the pipe, trying to facilitate some cool ground pound potential, but oh well.
Pretty sure Halo 3 predates alot of these (players).

edit

spreadsheet guy walkthrough'd darkprince909 Turf, check it out
bonus: guy who made previous turf gets salty af in the comments

edit2:nvm, nows its a shit show. avoid.

heres a quick capture of what the intended function should be*

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nillapuddin626/video/15269700

all my previous attempts at this have the issue that, it might extend perfectly once, but any subsequent attempts fail (pieces going farther/shorter than scripted)

* I am going to add another section to it, I want to ensure the flag carrier can jump up and thruster into the tube from top Red

The bridge is designed to extend only once per game / round, right?

nillapuddin

The bridge is designed to extend only once per game / round, right?

yeah, I was thinking just once per, or alternatively have it reset after a long time

Obviously, During asymmetric objective game, I would only allow the keypad in the defending base to unlock it.

During a symmetrical games both keypads would work

nillapuddin

I will be holding a Grifball Court clinic in a few hours if anyone wants me to help with their courts.

Would helping me double down on exploit-proofing my Smashball court count or no?

I think Ive got it proper, but you know air tight system better than I do. I dont want to take away from anyone who really needs help with Grifball specifically though.

Oh cool, there's a 145MB update out to hotfix the invisible barriers and gravity volumes. Hopefully it fixes the issues with the "spinners" on coordinates and rotation, too.

NOKYARD

Would helping me double down on exploit-proofing my Smashball court count or no?

I think Ive got it proper, but you know air tight system better than I do. I dont want to take away from anyone who really needs help with Grifball specifically though.
Yes, soon.

Oh cool, there's a 145MB update out to hotfix the invisible barriers and gravity volumes. Hopefully it fixes the issues with the "spinners" on coordinates and rotation, too.
See, i told everyone not to worry.

nillapuddin

Hopefully it fixes the issues with the "spinners" on coordinates and rotation, too.

Is this happening to you?

Starting last night, when I select most objects, it will randomly reset its orientation. Not sure if its just a specific map, but its annoying.

The other thing that is REALLY bothering me, is since the last update coordinates are so finnicky. Often times the displayed coordinates while hovering/selecting/position sub-menu are all different.

Its also much more difficult to get objects on a 1.0-2.0 grid, they seem to spawn at crazy 0.38, 0.64 style intervals. Very frustrating as I like to use whole numbers as much as possible.

I find myself spawning an object, going into the position menu, setting all 3 units to a whole number, then back out and move it accordingly.

belushy

Banned
Nokyard just posted this on twitter from Forge Hub,

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/realistic-water-lava-frozen-lake-and-more.150977/

Hey everyone! Black Picture here from Creative Force and I discovered how to make realistic water. So I'm currently at work on break and decided to make this post. A video on how to make it will be uploaded very soon. I've been working on this to be able to release to the public for 3 weeks now to make sure it works right. We found this trick and wanted to share this with the forge community. This trick i have found works more then just water (colored decals) and will be uploaded more uses soon. Once I get off of work ill update this post being more detailed.

Some pics go to the thread to see the rest.

Nokyard just posted this on twitter from Forge Hub,

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/realistic-water-lava-frozen-lake-and-more.150977/

Some pics go to the thread to see the rest.

Well, shit. I need relatively flat water for Nightingale, too! I was just using ice, terrain pieces and caustic gobos, but that looks more impressive.

EDIT: oh fuck, you can stand in it, too. They've even got a Keyes-esque coolant pit set up! I honestly think I prefer stylized / cartoony-looking water like that compared to the super photoreal stuff that's going on in the campaign.

Working on a concept for your bridge right now, nilla. Might actually make a video for it.

EDIT: prototype seems to be working exactly as intended with no room for variation on extension / pieces exploding outside of, say, a z-fighting-tier deviation from movable space.

EDIT 2: Have some videos uploading right now, Nilla!

nillapuddin

Working on a concept for your bridge right now, nilla. Might actually make a video for it.

EDIT: prototype seems to be working exactly as intended with no room for variation on extension / pieces exploding outside of, say, a z-fighting-tier deviation from movable space.

EDIT 2: Have some videos uploading right now, Nilla!

sweet! cant wait to check it out, I def appreciate it

sweet! cant wait to check it out, I def appreciate it

Vids are way longer than they need to be, but I wanted to be super redundant with the explanations and reasoning for the construction just because there are a lot of little things regarding potential setups for interactive set-pieces like these that can easily cause them to go to shit when scaled up to bigger projects (e.g. trying to rig a bunch of groups to move all at once receiving a single message from a switch).

Part 1: Extendibridge as seen in Customs
Part 2: Extendibridge as seen in Forge + script data

Keep in mind the production values are awful because I feel terrible and I also did everything "live" (even the music) through streaming to Win10.

Also, holy hell does that water trick make things look better.

Mind you, I don't know if it plays better, but damn if these base additions I've done for Nightingale don't give it a better sense of presence.

nillapuddin

Vids are way longer than they need to be, but I wanted to be super redundant with the explanations and reasoning for the construction just because there are a lot of little things regarding potential setups for interactive set-pieces like these that can easily cause them to go to shit when scaled up to bigger projects (e.g. trying to rig a bunch of groups to move all at once receiving a single message from a switch).

Part 1: Extendibridge as seen in Customs
Part 2: Extendibridge as seen in Forge + script data

Keep in mind the production values are awful because I feel terrible and I also did everything "live" (even the music) through streaming to Win10.

very cool wahrer, when I get home today I will take a dive!

edit: although that is a failed wip copy of the map that you demo'ed it on XD
"Bayside: in my bookmarks will be the "final" template.

The map you grabbed there was when I moved the whole thing so I could do a remix devoid of water, whoops!

Karl2177

It would be nice if we could use initial spawn points as respawn points also. Placing respawn points on initial spawns is a pain in the ass.

It all came together when i stumbled upon this. It all fit together so nicely. The map is (now) a photographic reconnaissance satellite. The 3 coloured panels are filters, or gells, used to take accurate colour photos of targets on distant planets.

My math tutor was an engineer on the first one of those.

Akai__

Here is the Japanese Temple map I was mentioning the other day:

Sorry for the bad GIF quality, but I had to compress it down to 6MB, because otherwise it would have been like > 30MB.

Here are also 2 screens I needed to share:

Check it out if you want. GT: Caustic Kirby

Noob scripting question, as only now really trying it out.

I am trying to create a relativelyt simple set of scripts that change the map/a few details over the course of a game. This is sequential: Alpha message = change, Bravo + Charlie message = Change, Delta message = change, game ends.

So there is an initial condition, that is, 'pre-Alpha', where certain objects spawn in, and everything else that is scripted to appear later is despawned on match start, and, hopefully, will appear once its condition is met.

The problem I have is that some things seem to have vanished completely - in Custom games tests, and in Forge itself. I.e. I have some BRs that are supposed to spawn on Alpha at Red team's spawn, but they don't: and they don't even exist in Forge to meddle with. I tried 'Spawn all objects' and some things that should appear on Alpha do appear, other things are totally gone.

Whaaaaa?

Sorry if that description is confusing, I am confused.

NOKYARD

Despawning/Respawning items is buggy.

Scripting Weapons is worse so you should find alternate ways to get them into the game.

Here is the Japanese Temple map I was mentioning the other day:

Sorry for the bad GIF quality, but I had to compress it down to 6MB, because otherwise it would have been like > 30MB.

Here are also 2 screens I needed to share:

Check it out if you want. GT: Caustic Kirby
Remind me of a level from Perfect Dark Zero

I built the second half of my level without saving thinking it periodically auto saved for some reason, and as I placed the last piece the game crashes :/

Now I'm rebuilding but none of my pieces are lining up correctly. Is this common, and is there a way to fix it?

I built the second half of my level without saving thinking it periodically auto saved for some reason, and as I placed the last piece the game crashes :/

Now I'm rebuilding but none of my pieces are lining up correctly. Is this common, and is there a way to fix it?

Are you using the coordinate system, or are you just doing drag-and-drop stuff using the left trigger?

NOKYARD

Quick question: Do you guys know how to get the outro camera to trigger in customs? Does it require at least 2 people/teams in a game or something else?

I was bored and started thinking it would be a fun idea to forge all of the Killer Instinct maps out of hype for the Arbiter's cameo. This blockout is as far as I got before I realized getting the perspective right is a huge challenge...

Edit: I've never completed an aesthetic forge session before, but I still like the idea of seeing some of these stages recreated. Someone out there far more talented than myself could probably knock a project like this out of the park.

belushy

Banned
I know nothing about "Nuketown", and tbh I havent seen this map in game yet. But I find the aesthetics really alluring

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/rebel-nuketown-2525.1152/

I really really like the shape and style of these buildings, When prefabs come out, I would love to see those buildings packaged up for use.

Yup I saw that earlier and was pretty impressed. Makes me want to try my hand at a COD-like gametype since custom are so powerful now.

Top Bottom