• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

So all of my FX: Steam [Falling] pieces are not showing up in Customs (I even checked the respawn settings). The [Rising] variant is working fine. I am so confused.

nillapuddin

Welcome you
You vulgar little maggots. You worthless bags of filth. You disgusting Junior.
guys, enjoy your stay!

if you forge, post your maps!

nillapuddin

someone make a map with Rat's Nest's layout but the bases are Turf

Haha oh dear

When prefabs come out yall better look out, I'm gunna take all my "decent" remakes and create terrible abominations that nobody would ever want, and promote the ever loving shit out of them

Haha oh dear

When prefabs come out yall better look out, I'm gunna take all my "decent" remakes and create terrible abominations that nobody would ever want, and promote the ever loving shit out of them

I'm excited to see a prefab Spire from Reach and see what people do with that.

JDHarbs

My schedule for the next week.

springbreak_calendar.jpg

Time to finish Condemned.

because that's what all the cool kids do on spring break

With all the Reach love, I want to see Tempest. I don't have the skillset to tackle that one though.

One other question: Is there a rule or guideline for adding non-power weapons to interiors of maps?

With all the Reach love, I want to see Tempest. I don't have the skillset to tackle that one though.

One other question: Is there a rule or guideline for adding non-power weapons to interiors of maps?

I don't know that there's any hard rules beyond keep them tasteful and useful, and - while a lot of the low-tier weapons succeed in a variety of situations - make sure to follow the same rules of power weapon placement in that you never want a weapon to spawn in the location where it's most useful. Don't shove a Light Rifle in an area that's high up with a perfect view of the map with a number of ways to escape, don't put a Needler on a level that's entirely flat with next to no cover with a perfect view of the OS spawn and the enemy spawn hive, etc. I would also take into consideration spawn times with the weapons - on a tighter map, you may want to increase the time it takes for a Storm Rifle to return because they'll easily dominate in close quarters, for example.

nah, its apparently Turf

Turf is one of my fave maps ever but I don't think I've ever seen a good remake.

The Halo Online one uses the old BSP I think and that's pretty interesting thematically.

I have a question to those who build remakes.

Do you try to build them like they existed in previous titles or do you scale them for Halo 5 mechanics??

Hey Nilla, I just watched your stream. Those were some mad aesthetic optimization skills. I'll consider those tweaks, since the original map I'm working on has a similar UNSC base look to those.

Edit: And that Basin revelation is mind-blowing.

NOKYARD

MIND BLOWING REVELATION AT 2:10:00

I have been advising builders since Halo 3 that the absolute first item to place in forge is a Team 8 Spawn Zone to be used as a measuring stick at the absolute center of your map. Even assyms can benefit from this.

Almost every map i have ever encountered as a CC has had something like -741.7 x 63.2 as the center point. I can recognize a map which will be easy to prepare for MM by the coordinates of the Neutral Flag.

Go look at the coordinates of your Neutral Flag and report back (not you Nilla, everyone else).

FyreWulff

yeah, i always used respawns or some other marker to size things out. lot easier to see the real result and the intersecting light boundary they added in Reach made it even more handy.

nillapuddin

So as some/most/none of yall know, I run my own business. Well, until now. I ended my partnership this week and resigned from my company.

I have a new opportunity coming up Mayish-Juneish, so Im just kinda floating in the wind til then. I am okay financially to wait it out so no worries there, but I do hope to use the time to catch up on refiing some trade skills, seeing family, and ofcourse being a contributing member of Forge community.

I hope to be able to stream some of Nilla _____. (Fixes/Builds/Helps), etc maps of my own creation and from the community. Sooo, yeah. Hope yall enjoy scrolling past mediocre quality twitch streams, cause I will probably post up quite a few over the next months.

Hey Nilla, I just watched your stream. Those were some mad aesthetic optimization skills. I'll consider those tweaks, since the original map I'm working on has a similar UNSC base look to those.

Edit: And that Basin revelation is mind-blowing.

Glad to help, Im so mad that it crashed at the end there, I can probably do all that in less than an hour if Im not talking and explaining. So some night I will probably burn through it and finish a "beautified basin" ; )

Also, Id gladly give you another eye if you are interested, like I said in my stream its one of my favorite things helping out. Just shoot me a FR and if you ever are just in a rut, let me know

I have been advising builders since Halo 3 that the absolute first item to place in forge is a Team 8 Spawn Zone to be used as a measuring stick at the absolute center of your map. Even assyms can benefit from this.

Almost every map i have ever encountered as a CC has had something like -741.7 x 63.2 as the center point. I can recognize a map which will be easy to prepare for MM by the coordinates of the Neutral Flag.

Go look at the coordinates of your Neutral Flag and report back (not you Nilla, everyone else).

100% all that

even since Reach times the first thing I would do is find the "center" piece and check it, if it has to move to snap to a coordinate, I know its gunna be a long night

Also, if you build your map on an angle like how Basin is built on a 45, you are an evil person and need help.

edit: I knew you weren't referring to me, I am not capable of such heresy

Started blocking out a remake of my favorite Halo 4 map. Can you guess what it is?

Yes, I'm the idiot that would vote for it every time. I have no shame...

That's not Simplex. :(

Someone re-make me Simplex right now, this isn't a request.
Yes it is, someone please for goodness sake.

Karl2177

I've been hesitant to build maps at 0,0(to be fair, I've been hesitant to build anywhere) ever since Computron discovered the lighting trick. It would be nice if there was a cubemap reference for each of the theme/skyboxes.

Karl2177

I wanted to start a new map today on the new canvas. I went ahead and blocked everything out with 16x16x16 blocks just to see if all my geometry worked well in game versus SketchUp. Then I decided to mess around a bit and see how I could work some cool glass pieces in there. In doing so I wanted to remove reflections, like I did on one of my Glacier morning maps. This just works by making the Computron box, but without putting a light inside of it. By looking in the current reflections, I tried to gauge where the cubemap is. I knew it was above and behind my map by a lot. Turns out it's completely inaccessible.

The boxes below that are circled in red are the same box. It is pushed as far in the Y and Z as it will go(1575 Y, 900 Z).

wjD7UMZl.png

kumOuRSl.png

A guy on ForgeHub located the coordinates a while back.

The latest Parallax canvas (Ascendance or whatever) may use something different, though.

Thanks for this. It differs for each theme/skybox, so I'm guessing these are Midday on Glacier and whatever the default is on Alpine(I only use Alpine for test purposes, so I have no idea what it is).

I might go ahead tomorrow and make a comprehensive list for each skybox. It's only 11, but a handful have been done for me already.

I wanted to start a new map today on the new canvas. I went ahead and blocked everything out with 16x16x16 blocks just to see if all my geometry worked well in game versus SketchUp. Then I decided to mess around a bit and see how I could work some cool glass pieces in there. In doing so I wanted to remove reflections, like I did on one of my Glacier morning maps. This just works by making the Computron box, but without putting a light inside of it. By looking in the current reflections, I tried to gauge where the cubemap is. I knew it was above and behind my map by a lot. Turns out it's completely inaccessible.

The boxes below that are circled in red are the same box. It is pushed as far in the Y and Z as it will go(1575 Y, 900 Z).

wjD7UMZl.png

kumOuRSl.png

Thanks for this. It differs for each theme/skybox, so I'm guessing these are Midday on Glacier and whatever the default is on Alpine(I only use Alpine for test purposes, so I have no idea what it is).

I might go ahead tomorrow and make a comprehensive list for each skybox. It's only 11, but a handful have been done for me already.

I can confirm that the Glacier coordinate he listed also works in the Sunrise skybox. But yeah, I think I saw someone else on Forgehub having similar issues doing the cubemap glitch on Ascendance.

Top Bottom