• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsigg12

why is warzone only slayer and assault? why not capture the flag/bomb/strongholds? Like capture the flag on such an epic scale would be damn cool. Balancing could be an issue, but Warzone isn't balanced at all so it'd fit right in.

I do hope they add some more options to what Warzone can be. Adding in different objectives or like a thing that pops up saying hey go capture this core/flag/carry-able and return it to your base rather than fighting a Legendary boss.

Magwik

Banned
why is warzone only slayer and assault? why not capture the flag/bomb/strongholds? Like capture the flag on such an epic scale would be damn cool. Balancing could be an issue, but Warzone isn't balanced at all so it'd fit right in.
They still have to fix the Warzone assault cheat first.

Yeah. As a power weapon it might make sense in BTB, but it's not worth the effort/risk of going for in Arena, let alone the trade-off of potentially dropping a better weapon (ie, any precision weapon).

I disagree, caster when not charged is perfect for tight spaces thanks its splash damage potential, it's also great to use when the other team is camping during a close match.

link1201

I'm excited for the December Update after how cool November was.

EDIT: Grenade laucher for H5G!
I'm excited for it as well. I will get more time to play around Christmas this year than I have in the past few years so I want to play a lot. I hope we get another Warzone map.

Plasma Caster is in this weird space where it's good, but not quite so good as to justify the difficulty of use involved. Individual grenades don't give much splash, so bouncing them is a real pain. And the heavy dropoff and low speed on the charge makes that tricky as well.

It can do hilarious things to vehicles though.
I disagree, caster when not charged is perfect for tight spaces thanks its splash damage potential, it's also great to use when the other team is camping during a close match.
Yup, and the charge shot is incredibly useful at flushing people out. Can't be conservative with it, let those fuckers fly. They give you a lot of ammo, so shoot them far to deduce where the enemies are positioned. With hitmarkers and the large radius it covers with a charge shot, the Plasma Caster is well-diverse in my opinion.

Trup1aya

You don't see how firing 3 spread rockets at an infantry target, thus rendering the range of the spartan dash moot, and three homing rockets at a vehicle target is laughably ridiculous?

It's actually not much more effective against infantry than any other rocket. The V shaped spread makes the other two rockets less reliable.

It is extremely effective against vehicles though, but it's a high req item, and subject a similar approach to balancing as other weapons (i.e. Ammo capacity, fire rate, reload speed, descoping) and also doesn't render the user any less susceptible to being team shotted by the 12 opposing BRs/DMRs that are on the map. Not to mention the other high req items the opposing team will have at the same time.

I've yet to see anyone hilariously break a match, simply because they've pulled one of these out...I've. Never seen it make someone into an unstoppable force.

I guess you've seen or done differently with it?

Yup, and the charge shot is incredibly useful at flushing people out. Can't be conservative with it, let those fuckers fly. They give you a lot of ammo, so shoot them far to deduce where the enemies are positioned. With hitmarkers and the large radius it covers with a charge shot, the Plasma Caster is well-diverse in my opinion.

This is the one thing I'd give to it, the high ammo capacity gives it the potential to be a great ambush weapon, spamming tight spaces all over the place.

But even then... there's lots of good/great ambush weapons.

It's actually not much more effective against infantry than any other rocket. The V shaped spread makes the other two rockets less reliable.

It is extremely effective against vehicles though, but it's a high req item, and subject a similar approach to balancing as other weapons (i.e. Ammo capacity, fire rate, reload speed) and also doesn't render the user any less susceptible to being team shotted by the 12 opposing BRs/DMRs that are on the map. Not to mention the other high req items the opposing team will have at the same time.

I've yet to see anyone hilariously break a match, simply because they've pulled one of these out...I've. Never seen it make someone into an unstoppable force.

I guess you've seen or done differently with it?

I'll simply repost a gif posted in this very thread:

http://gfycat.com/DefenselessSnivelingBangeltiger

Note the first enemy. As the user fires the rocket launcher, the target responds with the appropriate, skill-based option: he uses the spartan dash mechanic to try and dodge the rocket.

Unfortunately, he was unable to tell that the user was using a broken nonsense weapon, and the secondary rocket took him out, as the primary rocket missed the mark.

The broken nonsense weapon undermines and straight up nullifies a core mechanic of the game.

A weapon need not turn the scales of an entire match to be broken. It need only render an engagement over before it begins.

malfcn

I am sure this guy got mad.

Linky linky.

At the stat of the match I like to grab SMG and head to shotty. I saw a red guy on a similar patch, and decided to test my aim with a sticky. Got 'em.

Trup1aya

I'll simply repost a gif posted in this very thread:

http://gfycat.com/DefenselessSnivelingBangeltiger

Note the first enemy. As the user fires the rocket launcher, the target responds with the appropriate, skill-based option: he uses the spartan dash mechanic to try and dodge the rocket.

Unfortunately, he was unable to tell that the user was using a broken nonsense weapon, and the secondary rocket took him out, as the primary rocket missed the mark.

The broken nonsense weapon undermines and straight up nullifies a core mechanic of the game.

A weapon need not turn the scales of an entire match to be broken. It need only render an engagement over before it begins.

Well, in Warzone, individual engagements are largely inconsequential. Your problem is you are trying to view this gametypes balancing through the lense of Arena balancing.

For every clip you have of a player getting a double kill with this rocket launcher, I could surely show you plenty of some guy being wasted before they get a shot off.

When you speak of something being ' hilariously broken' ,the implication is that it has a large effect on the outcome of the match as a whole and that countering it is overly difficult. Which would be the case if we were talking about team slayer... But we aren't.

Edit: also missing a bunch of long range pistol shots and running out into the open isn't the proper way handle someone with hire ground, a rocket launcher, and back up.

One thing I don't like about Warzone is how fast power weapons despawn. It's worse than Halo 4.
yep all this ram and we still get weapons that fade away in 30 seconds, it's upsetting.

how is campaign for weapons staying on the floor? it ruined halo 4 legendary for me.

BradC00

That power side shit is legit. Heinz did one on the map that's a city from snipe to BR and no scoped a dude. He was laughing so hard!!

Dumb question, but...how do you enter a vehicle when you have a flag? I never really played any ctf before and some guy was honking the horn to get in a jeep, but I couldn't get any prompt to enter

Karl2177

Legendary arena RP boost and I only got 750 RP. :|

I think it's a boost based on how long the match is. I used a blue one and destroyed the core in 7-ish minutes. Was about 500 or so. My roommate then used a blue one on his account and got 3500 from it in a Warzone match that was close to a half hour.

Plasma caster is good with ctf. Especially if the carrier dropped it and you are not there to return it faster. Have a charged shot on that baby n watch ppl run into their plasma death. Double kills most the time.

Or if u can aim properly and predict the bounce projection u can have the single shots explode in their face.

Glad noone goes for it. I casually take my time and grab iy after i get a br or something

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Oh, we earned the right to have a community again? All praise our just and fair hosts! Dick, I mean hotdog, cannons for all!

Except modbot, he's a cunt.

op_ivy

I'm thinking about joining MP Halo for the first time. Any tips for someone just starting out?
Play with people who know the game. Party up. Grow thick skin and prepare to take loads to the chin to get better.

Madness

I'm thinking about joining MP Halo for the first time. Any tips for someone just starting out?

Try and play with people you know for the first few games. That way they can carry you, help you out. Definitely use a mic because even if one other guy on your team has one, you can at least coordinate. Plus using a mic helps accustom you to listening to things like footsteps, and hear the action better.

Just have fun. It's a great multiplayer, easy to play, hard to master.

I'd jump straight into something. Team Arena would be my top pick, as it gives you the full range of gametypes. Normally I'd recommend BTB but ugly maps and bad spawns sort of push that lower. You WILL spend some time getting your head handed to you, but soon enough the ranking system will do its thing and you'll start playing with people at your skill level. Build from there. Best way to learn is to lose.

Sydle

Play with people who know the game. Party up. Grow thick skin and prepare to take loads to the chin to get better.

Check out some streams and watch YouTube vids. You'll pick up on a lot of things and naturally implement them into your play over time.

Try and play with people you know for the first few games. That way they can carry you, help you out. Definitely use a mic because even if one other guy on your team has one, you can at least coordinate. Plus using a mic helps accustom you to listening to things like footsteps, and hear the action better.

Just have fun. It's a great multiplayer, easy to play, hard to master.

Thanks, guys. I'll start with the YouTube vids while I try to get my friends to finally jump in on Halo 5.

I'd jump straight into something. Team Arena would be my top pick, as it gives you the full range of gametypes. Normally I'd recommend BTB but ugly maps and bad spawns sort of push that lower. You WILL spend some time getting your head handed to you, but soon enough the ranking system will do its thing and you'll start playing with people at your skill level. Build from there. Best way to learn is to do.

I'll do this too just to start taking my lumps.

Id suggest watching pro's stream MP on Twitch. Just watching what they do and never developing and furthering bad MP habits helps.

Finally jump into customs run around the maps learn a good amount of the call outs and figure out all the jumps. Get your controller settings to how you prefer.

Then jump into MP.

Ramirez

Ok, so the past three times I've played this game, I've probably lost 80% of my matches. I'm going solo, so whatever, it's expected. But why in the fuck am I matching against double Champion teams when I'm getting trashed game after game??

op_ivy

Ok, so the past three times I've played this game, I've probably lost 80% of my matches. I'm going solo, so whatever, it's expected. But why in the fuck am I matching against double Champion teams when I'm getting trashed game after game??

I generally blame lag in these instances.

Try your best, have fun, focus on improving.

Really, just find the playstyle that works for you and work with it. All you need is a little good aim in your thumbs, a dream in your heart, and a little hope on your side and you'll get there.

You were clearly playing too well, the game was balancing things out ;D

That hasn't happened to me yet thankfully. You've gotta wonder how a spawn point on the edge of a cliff doesn't get spotted though.

That wasn't me moving to the left either, I was just sliding right when I spawned. I'm not one to complain about spawning, but damn. :p

Halo is a much tougher game then most, especially if you're not used to the Time-to-Kill. As another has said, developing bad habits will be a detriment to getting better. Many times it is better to not chase a kill (though I am guilty of that sometimes if I am not playing as disciplined as I should be), it's better to call them out if playing with a team and they are in a better position. If you do have friends on and playing, play customs to test what the best sensitivity is for you and develop better accuracy. The Magnum is king in Halo 5 at mid-range fights, though do not neglect Automatics. They are really powerful as well, especially the SMG and Storm Rifle.

Also, an often overlooked weapon (I barely see anyone using it) is the Boltshot. It is a homing Promethean Pistol and is very powerful, I use it frequently now on maps like Plaza and Fathom.

BraXzy

Does anyone have experience with the Astro Mixamp? I've grabbed a pair of A40s with the Mixamp Pro and I'm wondering how to do the set up I'm after.

I've got my Xbox hooked up to my TV. I want to get all the game audio from that, while chatting through Discord via the app on my phone (since my PC is the other side of the room). What would need to plug into where? And how hard would it to be to switch to normal in-game chat on the fly?

Pool of Radiance. Awesome. Stole that off some chump and had a helluva time with it.

(I put pics in quotes so they don't take up a whole page, right?)

ySQhyle.png

And then, the impossible... The fabled DMR, Gungir armor, and my favorite Guns & Roses album. It's like Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom