• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
games not even in the top 10 on xbl right now.

cannot believe it. man do 343 need to get some new ways to play in there fast.

im guessing the long term plan is that population of games like battlefront/rainbow/madden/etc might drop but the long term updates keep halo in the mix? idk. its just pretty clear people want some more basic features, fast

Tbh, I had a feeling it might play out like this. I actually stopped playing myself now too. I realise there are a vocal bunch on here who believe this is the best playing Halo in years, the best multiplayer in the franchise yet etc, but it never seemed to me like the masses would warm to it quite so well. Even based off of the BETA and countless streams etc, which just had and have so many people constantly frustrated with the game (even pro players), or dying all the time, often at limited fault of their own due to the messy and cathartic nature of it all.

I don't think some of the super enthusiastic fans help the situation too much either, often times routinely shooting down or rebuking criticisms left and right, which muddies the waters as to what a greater audience might actually want or prefer from the game.

I don't think simply adding more content will necessarily do the trick, and believe there's some more underlying restructuring needed with some of the core design and balancing to really draw in and maintain greater interest. Thankfully 343i seem fairly reactivate, and they're clearly listening, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out. Will mass numbers migrate back to the game after the Fall splurge and future updates, will the numbers hang around this sort of level, or will they dwindle further?

That said, there is always an argument that it doesn't matter what the masses, more gamers or lost Halo fans actually want or prefer, and that as long as there is still a consumer base that really enjoys and is committed to the game, even if much smaller in numbers than is typical of the franchise, that's still sufficient. Obviously that's not ideal for Microsoft, but it might be for those really enjoying and highly invested in the multiplayer. I do think it could mean more emphasis on microtransactions in future though, in a bid to make up the difference in lost revenue, by extracting more spend from fewer consumers.

XAL

Tbh, I had a feeling it might play out like this. I actually stopped playing myself now too. I realise there are a vocal bunch on here who believe this is the best playing Halo in years, the best multiplayer in the franchise yet etc, but it never seemed to me like the masses would warm to it quite so well. Even based off of the BETA and countless streams etc, which just had and have so many people constantly frustrated with the game (even pro players), or dying all the time, often at limited fault of their own due to the messy and cathartic nature of it all.

I don't think some of the super enthusiastic fans help the situation too much either, often times routinely shooting down or rebuking criticisms left and right, which muddies the waters as to what a greater audience might actually want or prefer from the game.

I don't think simply adding more content will necessarily do the trick, and believe there's some more underlying restructuring needed with some of the core design and balancing to really draw in and maintain greater interest. Thankfully 343i seem fairly reactivate, and they're clearly listening, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out. Will mass numbers migrate back to the game after the Fall splurge and future updates, will the numbers hang around this sort of level, or will they dwindle further?

When Forge comes out they need to have MUCH BETTER assets. That clean arena aesthetic is fine for its own thing, but not for large maps in well textured environments.

Also more classic maps. Like, a lot more.

More gametypes and playlists.

TrounceX

I'll say, if there's one thing keeping Halo 5 from being my go-to shooter it's this fucking aiming system. I feel like 2/3 of my brainpower goes into fighting the reticule on my screen, and it's just not fun after a certain point. There's like this narrow gap that all the aiming takes place in, and it's between a dead zone and what feels like 10 sensitivity. It's all very bizarre, and it wasn't this way in the beta, so it just baffles me as to why it was changed.

I credit the pro team for a lot of good in Halo 5, but they really, really dropped the ball on this one.

On the other hand I played some Halo 2 tonight and it was a breath of fresh air. Instead of fighting the aiming I could just relax and have fun. Man, nothing will ever top Halo 2 for me, that game is the GOAT.

Edit: For the record, I love Halo 5 and this is not a rage post ;)

Dub117

Just talked my old H1 and 2 LAN buddies from middle/high school. They do not share my enthusiasm for H5, one liked Reach MP better and the other liked Reach and 4 better.... First off, no way in hell 4 MP was better than 5. Second, they both complain about grenades and melee. Both of them like Reach MP better and complain about grenades? Um wow. But maybe the melee I understand, they hate the over power of that versus guns. I just really don't understand how jet packs and armour lock were better? They want Halo to be like CE, I argue this is the closest they are going to get. Just don't get it. They both play battlefield and COD now, and I just don't like those games as much. Guess I should just git good at COD..

HireJuicesLight_zpsmyhypg5e.png

GamerSoul

I wholeheartedly agree with those asking for a PvE mode of some sort. Be it Firefight, a new mode of Warzone, or even a Flood mode. I thought BTB would be a nice, relaxing game mode like in previous games but nope. lol. That shit is serious, imo. This game is definitely more competitive than Halo 4 and that is a great achievement, but I would still like a decent way to just shoot stuff without a care in the world.

I know those modes will be released eventually, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Just talked my old H1 and 2 LAN buddies from middle/high school. They do not share my enthusiasm for H5, one liked Reach MP better and the other liked Reach and 4 better.... First off, no way in hell 4 MP was better than 5. Second, they both complain about grenades and melee. Both of them like Reach MP better and complain about grenades? Um wow. But maybe the melee I understand, they hate the over power of that versus guns. I just really don't understand how jet packs and armour lock were better? They want Halo to be like CE, I argue this is the closest they are going to get. Just don't get it. They both play battlefield and COD now, and I just don't like those games as much. Guess I should just git good at COD..
Melee is way to slow. You should try the new rainbow six of like it.

I won't play cod either. Lol

MouldyK

Did a decent match in Rumble Rockets which would have gave me enough to Max the Commendation...SERVER COULD NOT PROCESS MATCH DUE TO ERROR...

-sighs-...One more match for me.

Should be within next few weeks. Any map you plan to maybe remake? I don't know if your Guardian from H4 was ever finished.

I think I might try my hand at doing a map inspired from Last Resort first so I get used to the new hotness. I will defiantly try a remake of Guardian at some point, or a Guardian/Lockout styled map. I made one in MCC but never really finished it.

mo60

I think halo 5 will do fine population wise despite some of the issues with the game's multiplayer right now. I think 343i's sustain plan should help keep a viable online population for this game unlike halo 4.Also, has anyone gotten into an overtime match yet because I got into one in a slayer match recently.

EthanC

Banned
I wholeheartedly agree with those asking for a PvE mode of some sort. Be it Firefight, a new mode of Warzone, or even a Flood mode. I thought BTB would be a nice, relaxing game mode like in previous games but nope. lol. That shit is serious, imo. This game is definitely more competitive than Halo 4 and that is a great achievement, but I would still like a decent way to just shoot stuff without a care in the world.

I know those modes will be released eventually, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Definitely. They're alienating a huge audience of gamers, like myself. And unfortunately for them, there's a direct competitor out there fulfilling that need very well.

Madness

I think halo 5 will do fine population wise despite some of the issues with the game's multiplayer right now. I think 343i's sustain plan should help keep a viable online population for this game unlike halo 4.Also, has anyone gotten into an overtime match yet because I got into one in a slayer match recently.

Halo 4 was #4 most played until at least February of 2013, nearly 2-3 months after launch. Halo 5 is barely out a month and drops out of top 10. I do think sales will pick up and there will always be players to play, but I think this will be a great learning opportunity at seeing what's keeping player retention going.

We have no Firefight, no Spartan Ops, no campaign scoring, no campaign theater (easy speed run submissions), no split screen, no Forge, no infection/flood, no grifball, BTB only came under 2 weeks ago. There is only Strongholds and CTF in terms of objective. I mean even simple things like campaign having no rally points for easy entry into missions affects how much you play.

The premiere mode for Halo 5 becomes Warzone, but then with only 3 maps. Arena only had 6 maps, a few of which are remixes. This all affects how much 'time' can be spent on Halo and affects it's ranking. I think the Forge update will definitely bring in a ton of players though, as Forgers not only make maps, but then spend time testing amongst each other etc. And then we can probably get the grifball, infection and other popular game types back.

Zeta Oni

We have no Firefight, no Spartan Ops, no campaign scoring, no campaign theater (easy speed run submissions), no split screen, no Forge, no infection/flood, no grifball, BTB only came under 2 weeks ago. There is only Strongholds and CTF in terms of objective. I mean even simple things like campaign having no rally points for easy entry into missions affects how much you play.

Pretty much this.

At this point, I've put away Halo 5 for now. Gonna wait a few months and see what they add in, but at this point it's just too samey for me. Really dissapointed that Halo now continues to lose features from sequel to sequel instead of expanding on what's already there.

(And if this stuff is being worked on, it needs to be communicated better than monthly updates imo)

I just feel that, for 3 years of development time, what we got is very...basic. Good, but basic.

jem0208

Pretty much this.

At this point, I've put away Halo 5 for now. Gonna wait a few months and see what they add in, but at this point it's just too samey for me. Really dissapointed that Halo now continues to lose features from sequel to sequel instead of expanding on what's already there.

(And if this stuff is being worked on, it needs to be communicated better than monthly updates imo)

I just feel that, for 3 years of development time, what we got is very...basic. Good, but basic.
Yeah, that built a really solid base, but not much else. Hopefully the rest comes soon...

Bessy67

It's really cool all the stats and stuff that you can see on Waypoint, but that stuff should really be accessible in game somewhere. Or at least make a Waypoint app for Xbox One.

Nostalgia does weird things to people, lol. I played Reach for like 10 hours and then quit console gaming for several years -- it wasn't the ONLY reason, but without a playable Halo game to keep me booting up the 360 I just didn't have much of a reason to keep it around. Never even played 4 MP. It sounds like your friends have moved on and just prefer a different type of game now.

Yeah, that built a really solid base, but not much else. Hopefully the rest comes soon...

That they did, it's an extremely solid base for a game. Personally, I haven't played for the past few days. Just been taking a break with other games that are out; I’ll definitely start playing it again when forge and the other content hit in December.

pieface

3 games of BTB today and all 3 have ended with my team being 2 players down. I do find it slightly hilarious that we had to wait a few weeks for BTB to come, and when it finally did, 343 completely ruin it after 3 days. That company are doing their best to make Halo a bad experience.

There's like barely any maps, and for awhile some maps weren't in Slayer and some weren't in Team Arena that should have been. You got breakout in Team Arena. There's 3? Breakout maps yet a whole playlist for it...Probably need to move some blocks around in your Space forge map and get on that.

343i was probably too focused on Warzone and req packs, but seriously what the hell was that huge studio doing the last few years? Hire some more people who can make maps...I've played maybe 15 Warzone games and I'm already completely bored of it.

Sustain so far has been just adding weekly playlists that have been Halo staples FOREVER and should have been playlists from day 1, and the BTB playlist of awful looking forge maps.

If you look at the playlists there is 4v4 playlists, there is NOTHING to do solo after you beat the campaign beyond FFA. FFA is really bad, its super RNG based and frustrating. They need something like a solo queue playlist that then teams you with others. So you dont face teams of 4. Lone Wolves Team or something. They also need to permanently add Doubles for when you and your bro are on but your other two teammates aren't on yet. This presents more options for the user and less frustration and less turning off the game.

Regarding tournaments, the pros are looking for more scheduled tournaments that can pay them money. Physical location tournaments around the USA would definitely help as well. Stop half-assing and doing so much online ladder stuff. Maybe don't just have a 1.7M tournament but have a bunch of tournaments leading to something close to that. They have p much abandoned streaming on Twitch. That never helps with the numbers. Also a quick tournament just after release would have been good for the competitive scene. Strike when the irons hot or whatever that is. Again they need to get a 24/7 Stream up for their game sponsored by them. Twitch numbers are important.

Finally they need a BR playlist. Competitive Halo has always been BR's and Team Arena should probably be BR. AR/Pistol is cute and its fine cause the pistol is good now lol and such and so forth. Something about that BR tho.... The gun of gods. Shit I can barely get BRs in SWAT anymore...its frustrating.

CeeSaw

It's really cool all the stats and stuff that you can see on Waypoint, but that stuff should really be accessible in game somewhere. Or at least make a Waypoint app for Xbox One.

I know this isn't what you asked for but you should check out Halotracker. Stats are laid out a lot better than waypoint and there is more of em to boot.

jelly

I think BTB and other modes in Halo suffer from team player loss in general which kills the game because it's just not set up to be anything else but win or lose based on high skill and brute force team strength. Something like Battlefield, the tables might turn when a few players leave but it doesn't necessarily turn into a beating, you can still contribute well enough and do other things while other players join in and the tables level off or turn again. You never feel like you're in for a hiding and the inevitable loss, even if you are, the sandbox is easy going and fun enough to hang around. Halo punishes you in uneven teams more often than not. Social playlists and community customs are a start but I think Halo needs more than that in the sandbox if you want players to remain in games. I don't think Arena should be messed with too much, just a reality that players leave and the team suffers but things like BTB, they need to offer more.

Zeta Oni

Exactly.

If your a solo player, you can either:

A. Play campaign.

B. Go online and hope you get a good team.

C. Play free for all.

I mean, pretty much every other shooter on the market offers a serious piece of the puzzle Halo 5 is missing, and that's a cooperative game mode.

Rainbow Six: Siege has Terrorist Hunt
Destiny has...well, most of Destiny.
Blops III has a co-op campaign and Zombies.
Titanfall got a horde mode post-release.
Gears has had it since 2.
Even vanilla as shit Battlefront has something to offer.

Meanwhile the 5th mainline entry into a 14-year-old series that has had this area covered previously has...nothing.

And if I could sum up my biggest issue with the game right now, it's that.

Bessy67

Exactly.

A. Play campaign.

C. Play free for all.

I mean, pretty much every other shooter on the market offers a serious piece of the puzzle Halo 5 is missing, and that's a cooperative game mode.

Meanwhile the 5th mainline entry into a 14-year-old series that has had this area covered previously has...nothing.

This is what I'm running into. I'm a solo player and I'm getting tired of being on bad teams. I love the game but I'm getting so frustrated with how my team always seems to suck. I know there are ways for me to find people to play with but I just like jumping right in and playing without having to search here or that discord thing to get a group going. A co-op mode would really help to alleviate some of that frustration.

Bought the console and game yesterday morning and played ALL of last night! Feels like Halo 4: 2. 343 improved upon their own interpretation of Halo (Halo 4) instead of making something safe. I started on Legendary and it took about 4 hours to get to mission 5 I think? My first team slayer match was pretty bad, though. Some players on the enemy team were lagging and teleporting, which is something I had not seen for years on Halo. It ruined my first game, and the map I played on was small but had multiple levels. So staying towards the bottom just got you jumped from any direction, and the fight was mostly at the top. :/

Ont

I think Halo 5 multiplayer will be fine population wise. The core Arena multiplayer gameplay is so good that I keep coming back to it from Rainbow Six open beta which I also like a lot. Had the Arena mode been tailored for CoD casuals I would be more worried about the lifespan.

The game is also available on one platform only so the community is not split between different platforms (Titanfall, RS: Siege).

I love the way you put together this video, it allowed me to connect as a viewer.
I'm happy it moved you.
Finally they need a BR playlist. Competitive Halo has always been BR's and Team Arena should probably be BR. AR/Pistol is cute and its fine cause the pistol is good now lol and such and so forth. Something about that BR tho.... The gun of gods. Shit I can barely get BRs in SWAT anymore...its frustrating.
Interesting. Looks like you're talking about the CE Pistol, which may be the weapon people clamor for in Arena once it's released in Warzone ;]

Exactly.

A. Play campaign.

C. Play free for all.

Yup this is my biggest issue as well. Well this, and sorting out JiP for BTB in a way that pleases everyone (aka opt-out and no rank loss).

arimanius

Exactly.

A. Play campaign.

C. Play free for all.

I'm a solo player and I agree. I love the gameplay but running out of things to do. Specially since I don't like warzone. Would be nice to have other modes to use my reqs on.

Edit. Thread got moved to community. Makes sense why I had to search for it now. Lol

BraXzy

Oh snap, I wondered why I couldn't find the thread. We're in community now boys!

I have a feeling this December update is gonna be pretty big and address a lot of stuff. They've already mentioned the aiming fix, I'm hoping it also brings permanent Doubles and a social playlist. And on top of that some maps.

I do wish that...

1) Things that people are complaining a lot about don't wait for the monthly update. Social should have been added days into release. And doubles. Oddball, KotH should have already been put into Customs.

2) 343 were more transparent and communicative, even if it was just one way to avoid the vitriol of the internet. Besides these weekly community updates that feel more like PR posts, it feels like things rarely get addressed until something is in the works and has been announced. I totally get it, because I'm sure tonnes of people would bitch and moan if things didn't get sorted the day after they acknowledged them, but I think it'd be better than turning a blind eye.

Just stuff like, hey guys, we hear you loud and clear that you want a PvE mode. We're gonna put a plan into action and give you information at the earliest possible time.

Septic360

Banned
343 really need to aggressively support this title to ensure player numbers are supported.

They need to capitalise on Warzone with more maps too.

They've laid a great foundation but the content seems thin on the ground in terms of maps. Imagine 6 or so Warzone maps. That would definitely keep numbers high.

E92 M3

I think Halo 5 multiplayer will be fine population wise. The core Arena multiplayer gameplay is so good that I keep coming back to it from Rainbow Six open beta which I also like a lot. Had the Arena mode been tailored for CoD casuals I would be more worried about the lifespan.

The game is also available on one platform only so the community is not split between different platforms (Titanfall, RS: Siege).

Here is the thing I noticed- and it might elicited by passion - but a lot of people tend to speak in extremes. Why must a game must either be CoD casual (blops is a good game) or super hardcore. Games can be balanced for both audiences. A developer with as much time, money and talent such as 343 can do that. What most likely happened was they heard everyone calling Halo 4 a game for noobs (it was fun for me) and swung in the other direction hiring a "pro team" and all.

The game clearly needs a fully fleshed out and customizable Firefight mode playable both solo and co-op up to 4 players as an endgame supplement to the other (lack of) mode offerings...

XP / REQ / Loot based rewards

Classic map locations spanning all Halo games and fiction

All enemy types (Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Hunters, Brutes, Drones, Sentinels, Prophets, Knights, Soldiers, Crawlers, Flood, etc)

Objective gametypes and boss battles in addition to classic survival and horde types with custom games as well (build on Reach)

The ability to play as classic characters from Haloverse - Chief, Johnson, Keyes, Arbiter, Blue team members, Osiris, etc and maybe even some villains (Tartarus, Didact, etc or at least make them boss battles)

...there is so much they could do with such a mode.

pieface

I'm done with this game playing solo. Its utter bullshit with player quits and being matched up against other parties. I've put about 3 days worth of time into Halo so definitely had my money's worth. Its too frustrating though, it doesn't have to be, some very simple changes could make this game fun, but as it is, it's really not.

I'd just add, playing in a party is ace and great fun. But unfortunately for those who go in alone it's not.

Been away from Halo for a while now, but picked up an xbox one and Guardians on Friday.

Hopefully it won't take me too long to shake the rust off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom