• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, putting the rage aside and asking for help.

Why the hell am I finishing every match with almost double the assists vs kills?

It certainly FEELS like a result of me spawning a fair distance from my teammates, trying to cross the distance towards them, and getting into 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 situations on the way, only for my teammates to show up just in time to clean up the weakened enemies.

And I have no delusions of being good enough to take out 3 guys. 2 guys, I think I should be able to handle, and get frustrated when I don't (or when one has an overshield and/or explosive power weapon)... usually because I have yet to learn that my grenades are completely unpredictable as far as damage-to-distance output.

The weapon balance in this game is fantastic, and pretty much every gun is fun to use. A few of the maps are downright great. I want to have more fun than I'm having.

If I've pissed off enough people with my rage-fueled ranting that nobody responds, I understand.

Finally got the helmet I've been wanting. Hellcat looks pretty good with Recluse armor.

On a side note, I hope the Prefect armor comes back as DLC.

oqyp9iv.png

EDIT:
I feel the needler is on the verge of being over-powered.

Hailstorm ftw.

The weapon balance in this game is fantastic, and pretty much every gun is fun to use. A few of the maps are downright great. I want to have more fun than I'm having.
I feel the needler is on the verge of being over-powered. And melee's lunge is wayyyyyy too much. Way too much. The Halo men have been equipped with 20-feet-radius magnet fists. You can't even thrust away from melee it follows you like herpes. If I could I would nerf dat shit. I mean you already have thrusters and running, is there really a need to have more ways to get intimate?

But still I like this game. I like it more than I ever imagined.

Headshots. If you get more assists than kills in Halo it mostly is the result of not getting the headshot. Almost all my regular kills are headshots.

Do you know if 'Headshots' on Halo waypoint are headshot kills? Or just every shot that lands on the head, even if it's not a kill shot. Cause, I mean, I feel like a pretty good proportion are headshots:

Magnum:
331 Kills, 244 Headshots

BR:
181 Kills, 160 Headshots

DMR:
152 Kills, 120 Headshots

Carbine:
41 Kills, 36 Headshots

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...rds/weapons/players/jaegerdice?gameMode=Arena

So I guess it means I'm either nailing the headshot or whiffing, with very few kills from body shots?

Git gud, I guess. Just feels like an uphill battle when I'm Platinum1 and going up against Diamond players most matches. I don't feel like I'm learning anything getting perfect-shot while juking and jiving. Other than 'you don't belong here' of course.

I feel the needler is on the verge of being over-powered. And melee's lunge is wayyyyyy too much. Way too much. The Halo men have been equipped with 20-feet-radius magnet fists. You can't even thrust away from melee it follows you like herpes. If I could I would nerf dat shit. I mean you already have thrusters and running, is there really a need to have more ways to get intimate?

But still I like this game. I like it more than I ever imagined.

Agreed on both points.

Magnum also shoots a tad too fast. I feel like it could do with a reduction in fire rate and a smaller magazine.

Also, BTB needs magnum starts. I'll say it for as long as it needs to be said. The BR makes the assault rifle irrelevant.

Madness

No other studio has even come close to the comprehensive look at a video games development that 343 has done with Halo 5 and the Sprints. I mean if you watch all the episodes, you get such a great look at almost every aspect of the game, from beta and conception to launch/ship and beyond. Just crazy, and they barely got the recognition for it.

Ok, what is the fucking point of ranks?

Seriously.

I just completed a CTF match in Team Arena. Out of interest, I checked the post game.

I'm a gold in Team Arena.

The rest of my team was Platinum. The other team was 2 Platiums and 2 Diamonds.

What in the fuck is the point of a rank, if you're going to match up with people outside it?

Madness

Ok, what is the fucking point of ranks?

Seriously.

I just completed a CTF match in Team Arena. Out of interest, I checked the post game.

I'm a gold in Team Arena.

The rest of my team was Platinum. The other team was 2 Platiums and 2 Diamonds.

What in the fuck is the point of a rank, if you're going to match up with people outside it?

I don't give much weight to the emblem anymore. I mean I've played the gamut from gold to Onyx level and have held my own or gotten destroyed in between. I think it's because maybe someone has an off game, or maybe their level isn't meant to be that high, they haven't played enough for the system to make it accurate, or maybe there just isn't enough people at certain skills or regions to match?

I mean if the game played well, and the match went okay, what's the issue? I've probably felt that the internal skill matching has never been better (save for a few warzone matches). Most of my arena matches, where no quits happened, were well matched.

I don't give much weight to the emblem anymore. I mean I've played the gamut from gold to Onyx level and have held my own or gotten destroyed in between. I think it's because maybe someone has an off game, or maybe their level isn't meant to be that high, they haven't played enough for the system to make it accurate, or maybe there just isn't enough people at certain skills or regions to match?

I mean if the game played well, and the match went okay, what's the issue? I've probably felt that the internal skill matching has never been better (save for a few warzone matches). Most of my arena matches, where no quits happened, were well matched.

This one particular match went fine.

My K/D and W/L has cratered over the last several weeks. From 3.0 to under 1.0. At some point, the MMR has to figure out I'm not a Diamond tier player, right?

At some point, the 'you only get better playing people better than you' fails, because you're getting perfect shot before you know what happened. There's nothing to learn from getting dominated, other than that you don't belong in that match.

The fact that you can't derank out of a tier, and the grind to get to the next level within a tier means ranks are pretty much meaningless.

They are, but if you're somehow stuck in a rank it seems you don't belong in, you're fucked.

At this point, honestly, I'd rather be in Iron and forced to work my way up, learning the nuances of Halo 5 along the way, than be in Gold (or Platinum in Slayer), and forced to play people clearly better. The only thing it results in is frustration.

If 343i is wondering why the population is cratering, I think their matchmaking is the major culprit. Nobody pays $60 to feel foolish. Most players are willing to accept they have to learn. But there's a point at which you don't feel you're learning anything, you're just getting destroyed.

I don't like COD's 'no matchmaking' model at all, but at least in that model, you get a few matches where you go dominant. This is the worst of both worlds. It's not matching me against similarly skilled players, and I don't get any positive reinforcement at all.

maximrace

Do you know if 'Headshots' on Halo waypoint are headshot kills? Or just every shot that lands on the head, even if it's not a kill shot. Cause, I mean, I feel like a pretty good proportion are headshots:

Magnum:
331 Kills, 244 Headshots

BR:
181 Kills, 160 Headshots

DMR:
152 Kills, 120 Headshots

Carbine:
41 Kills, 36 Headshots
Yeah, I'm talking about the shot that kills your enemy. Those stats are really good so I guess that's not the problem.

Herbs

Banned
Warzone Pack Monday Haul:

Not too bad on this one.

Second pack isn't bad either. Made it through all of my Commons so better stuff from now on, though earning REQ points and opening packs will be a slower process now as I wait for Silver and Gold.

Here are my current unlock numbers. I've spent maybe $100 on REQ packs. Most of that was from gift cards so not really my money. I've also never spent money on DLC except for map packs for games like CoD etc. so I'm not one who often buys additional content. SO I feel a little better about that and it's helping to keep the DLC for Halo 5 free for the community so I don't mind. I'm at about 3 days 11 hours in both Arena and Warzone Combined, though Warzone is two days and 11 hours of that. And only three missions in the campaign played so far. I come for the multiplayer in these games.

They are, but if you're somehow stuck in a rank it seems you don't belong in, you're fucked.

At this point, honestly, I'd rather be in Iron and forced to work my way up, learning the nuances of Halo 5 along the way, than be in Gold (or Platinum in Slayer), and forced to play people clearly better. The only thing it results in is frustration.

I've been Diamond 1 in Team Slayer for a couple weeks now. Occasionally, I'll find myself with a capable team, but then I'll join a few matches and just get streamrolled by full teams.

That's another problem Halo 5 has: full teams can still match with solo players. That shouldn't have been a problem at launch, much less after the first major content update. And yet, here I am, caught in a deadlock because none of my friends are even remotely capable of playing against Diamond-tier players.

A rather depressing read on Eurogamer this morning:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-24-better-than-halo

Halo is dad?

Not for me, still the best, deepest MP shooter (in arena at least) so far this year.

Saying that, 343 need (or at least I want) to give players more stuff to do, for every type of player.

Repurpose Warzone maps for some insane Firefight mode.
Repurpose Warzone maps for some BTB shenanigans.
Detail the Forge update, including new (non Forge map content) and give us a release date.

Etc etc?

User sherpa1984 put it best, IMO:

Yikes, Wesley- that's a pretty one-sided article. I'm not sure it's fair to spend the first half writing about how Halo is dead and only dedicating one sentence to Destiny's problems: "I'm not going to get into the game's many flaws, nor how divisive it is"

I love Destiny. I also love Halo 5. They're nothing alike, however, and frankly, I think Halo 5's multiplayer is both better-balanced, better-designed, and rewards high-skill play far more than Destiny's ever will.

Herbs

Banned

Halo is dad?

Not for me, still the best, deepest MP shooter (in arena at least) so far this year.

Saying that, 343 need (or at least I want) to give players more stuff to do, for every type of player.

Detail the Forge update, including new (non Forge map content) and give us a release date.

Etc etc?

Good read.

It is too bad that Bungie left Halo behind. I would have been interested in them giving it another shot and Destiny just isn't good to me. Oh well. I'm really enjoying 5 and for the first time years I've opted out of the latest CoD. The formula was getting too old and the improvements in Halo 5 were just what I needed.

maximrace

I don't really agree with the article. Halo and destiny are 2 different games. I wouldn't want halo to be like destiny. Both have a different vision and thats fine

Halo is dad?

Etc etc?

Destiny is to this generation what Halo was to the Xbox/PS2 generation, and what COD was to last generation. It's set the new rules for the genre.

Halo 5 is great for those hanging on to the past, but the idea that Halo is a standard bearer for anything any more is kind of silly.

Halo 5 has some great qualities, but absolutely nothing about it will be remembered for anything years from now. It's a footnote.

Madness

The praise for Destiny though. I mean I have no urge to go back and play Destiny PvP now that I've played Halo 5 MP. Why would I? I mean I did enjoy the way Destiny gunplay felt, the sniper etc. But they're apples and oranges games. Compare Destiny to an MMO/RPG now more than a Halo, CoD or Battlefield. Also, does the reviewer remember what vanilla Destiny was?

Destiny is also on 4 platforms to Halo's 1. That makes a massive difference. Destiny 2 will probably sell gangbusters, but will anyone be playing because they're dying to know what happens in the story, or because they're addicted to the loot grind? I mean we're talking about things like Forge, the story, the music, campaign level and enemy design, and Destiny is 'need two for heroic strike'.

I absolutely think though that 343 should look into bringing MCC and Halo 5 to PC, maybe during the lead up to Halo 6 on Xbox One. Will bring in many more players again, bring Halo mindshare back. Halo's supposed decline is still I feel a consequence of PS4 continued dominance worldwide and how MCC launched last year.

Destiny is to this generation what Halo was to the Xbox/PS2 generation, and what COD was to last generation. It's set the new rules for the genre.

Halo 5 is great for those hanging on to the past, but the idea that Halo is a standard bearer for anything any more is kind of silly.

Halo 5 has some great qualities, but absolutely nothing about it will be remembered for anything years from now. It's a footnote.

The arena shooter has persisted through four generations of game consoles, being popularized by games like Doom and holding strong for more than twenty years. Games that add flair to the arena shooter (or try to expand it), like Call of Duty and Battlefield have come along and remained in the industry, but there's always a market for arena shooters.

Frankly, the idea that a game as poorly balanced and sloppily networked as Destiny could render Halo irrelevant is silly to me. There's several reasons for why I think Destiny is an excellent game, but none of them are in relation to its Crucible (and I played a lot of the Crucible).

I don't really agree with the article. Halo and destiny are 2 different games. I wouldn't want halo to be like destiny. Both have a different vision and thats fine

Yeah parts of that article are dubious. I'm pretty sure halo 3 and cod4 battled it out for the crown and halo 3 regularly had top spot after cod4 came out.

It may be more accurate to argue that the competition have gotten better while halo has gotten worse - but halo's base design has the potential to be more popular that it's competition.

Keeping this short but there's loads I could write on this - but black ops 3 for example gets so much right outside the game - that even with halo 5's improved gameplay I am on cod far more 'now' and that's not due to the time to kill or anything gameplay wise but more matchmaking wise (cod is an easier game to go into solo and just have fun - during the halo 3 run I was able to play social when solo - im also burnt out on content fatigue in halo wheras black ops still has more for me to explore)

The arena shooter has persisted through four generations of game consoles, being popularized by games like Doom and holding strong for more than twenty years. Games that add flair to the arena shooter (or try to expand it), like Call of Duty and Battlefield have come along and remained in the industry, but there's always a market for arena shooters.

Frankly, the idea that a game as poorly balanced and sloppily networked as Destiny could render Halo irrelevant is silly to me. There's several reasons for why I think Destiny is an excellent game, but none of them are in relation to its Crucible (and I played a lot of the Crucible).

Yeah this.

Arguably halo 3 is a better game than halo 5 - even if you disagree with me on gameplay you can't argue in terms of content.

You can't compare halo 5 to its competition and use that to say 'halo' is a relic of the past or that arena shooters are a relic of the past - the game is great but really I would hate for it to be the game that gets compared to its competition because even within it's own series it's a weaker game

I'm not even hating on halo 5 here - I think 343 did a great job and are well on their way to putting out some bungie quality halo.

Madness

You really hate the game eh? I mean if it's really that disappointing you might as well stop playing. Halo 5 has never felt less 'hanging onto the past'. The campaign was fresh (story quibbles aside), Forge you have community cartographers say is the deepest it's ever been. The gen isn't even over, not even halfway and you've proclaimed one game, it's game of the gen, and yet you've condemned Halo 5 a game out about a month with the same breath saying it won't be remembered, just a footnote. Let's at least wait for the Forge update, and the World Championship and start of the pro HCS seasons and see what sustain has for at least the next few months man.

Yeah, that's why Quake and Unreal Tournament are such healthy and profitable franchises these days.

The genre persists. The rules of the genre evolve.

Halo has been rendered every bit the dinosaur that Quake and UT were rendered by the time Halo 2 hit the market.

Halo 5 is to Halo what Quake 4 was to Quake.

Anybody here even remember Quake 4? LOL

It's fine. There are great things about Halo 5. I very much enjoy the base mechanics. And there will likely always be a small, dedicated audience for Halo, in the same way there is still a small, dedicated audience playing Quake 3 via Quake Live on their browsers. Maybe we'll even get a browser-based Halo:MCC (that hopefully works) sometime in the future.

You really hate the game eh? I mean if it's really that disappointing you might as well stop playing. Halo 5 has never felt less 'hanging onto the past'. The campaign was fresh (story quibbles aside), Forge you have community cartographers say is the deepest it's ever been. The gen isn't even over, not even halfway and you've proclaimed one game, it's game of the gen, and yet you've condemned Halo 5 a game out about a month with the same breath saying it won't be remembered, just a footnote. Let's at least wait for the Forge update, and the World Championship and start of the pro HCS seasons and see what sustain has for at least the next few months man.

There are elements I hate about it.

For as much as I love the base movement, weapon balance and shooting (outside of those godforsaken deadzones and the stick acceleration), that package is wrapped up in it's far share of garbage.

I disagree regarding the campaign. Narrative problems (legion that they are), the campaign design is shoddy. The sum total 'co-op design' comes down to 'draw aggro from this bullet-sponge enemy so your teammate can shoot them in the back'. Environment design is essentially a series of wide corridors, with a branch accessible via smashable wall for a power weapon.

The matchmaking has been truly wretched. The ranks are meaningless.

The spawn AI is arguably as bad as any shooter I have ever played.

The maps are vary widely in quality, but let's say they average in the 'mediocre' range.

I could go on.

At the end of the day, Halo 5's problem is not that it's a terrible arena game. It's an ok arena game in a franchise and a genre where being an ok arena game is not enough to be memorable, influential, or otherwise significant. And for a series as big and as important as Halo is (particularly to Microsoft) that can't be considered anything other than a failure.

To me, as a fan. It's fine. I'm waiting for the improvements with hope, though I'd welcome a matchmaking update with far more fan fare than a Forge update.

Monocle

Or maybe it's a fantastic game and it's just not for you. I know quality when I play it. I've been with the Halo series since the beginning, and I can say Halo 5 is damn good.

Incidentally, in my experience Destiny's PvP is total shit. The base mechanics and controls are on point, but it feels imbalanced as hell, the time-to-kill is absurdly low, and it's missing that feeling of visceral satisfaction that's hard to define. I'm not about to spend 30+ hours grinding until I can compete with the insanely dedicated players and their ridiculous weapons.

I bought Titanfall after burning myself out with Destiny and it was so refreshing after that mess. I feel the same way playing Halo 5.

Edit: Also, you're calling the campaign design shoddy? I can't even. I have to wonder how much you played and replayed the levels, because Halo 5's campaign is better than at least half of Bungie's in terms of engaging encounters with loads of different possible strategies.

Or maybe it's a fantastic game and it's just not for you. I know quality when I play it. I've been with the Halo series since the beginning, and I can say Halo 5 is damn good.

Incidentally, in my experience Destiny's PvP is total shit. The base mechanics and controls are on point, but it feels imbalanced as hell, the time-to-kill is absurdly low, and it's missing that feeling of visceral satisfaction that's hard to define. I bought Titanfall after burning myself out with Destiny and it was so refreshing after that mess. I feel the same way playing Halo 5.

But we're not talking about raw quality.

Halo 5 is fine for what it is. There are elements I love. The base gunplay, the movement, etc.

There are elements I loathe. The campaign design, the matchmaking, the spawn AI, etc.

There's clearly enough to keep me playing. But there's certainly nothing here that will be remembered.

My argument is not that Halo 5 is a bad game and Destiny is a good game. Only that Destiny has taken the baton from COD, which took the baton from Halo, and will be remembered as the standard bearer for the FPS genre this generation, while Halo 5 will largely be forgotten.

The only reason that makes Halo 5 a 'failure' is because expectations of the Halo franchise are higher than 'just another FPS'.

Trup1aya

RNG system finally took a toll on me this weekend. All I want is the weapons man.

Seriously? 183 helmets? 183 armor sets? 225 fucking emblems? Who cares if the emblem is ultra rare... It's an emblem it's worthless...

Anyway it finally hit me this weekend because Bronze appears to have stopped bearing me permanent common items, and I've got way to many common customization items to unlock before silver becomes an economical option.

Grinding RP had been fun up until this point, because I'd been getting cool shit. But this lull plus the fact that it's the same 3 maps over and over has begun to take its toll... The fact that the latest update threw in a bunch of equally useless vehicle skins is like salt on the wound. I hate the tundra mongoose just as much as the original . It's just more common shit to trudge through until can graduate to silver.

343i Please, no more common items unless they bring new gameplay options

Edit: tried my luck with a silver this morning... Got a common emblem and a Rare.... EMBLEM fml

Monocle

But we're not talking about raw quality.

Halo 5 is fine for what it is. There are elements I love. The base gunplay, the movement, etc.

There are elements I loathe. The campaign design, the matchmaking, the spawn AI, etc.

There's clearly enough to keep me playing. But there's certainly nothing here that will be remembered.

My argument is not that Halo 5 is a bad game and Destiny is a good game. Only that Destiny has taken the baton from COD, which took the baton from Halo, and will be remembered as the standard bearer for the FPS genre this generation, while Halo 5 will largely be forgotten.

The only reason that makes Halo 5 a 'failure' is because expectations of the Halo franchise are higher than 'just another FPS'.
I'm struggling to find a reason to care whether or not Halo 5 is remembered as a defining game of its time. As a Halo fan who was very leery of 343's follow-up to the disappointing Halo 4, I'm more satisfied with the game than I could have hoped. It's fun to play here and now, and it makes me optimistic that the Halo games of the near future will appeal to me.

I'm struggling to find a reason to care whether or not Halo 5 is remembered as a defining game of its time. As a Halo fan who was very leery of 343's follow-up to the disappointing Halo 4, I'm more satisfied with the game than I could have hoped.

Ok.

I thought we were discussing the posted Eurogamer article.

The thesis of the article was never that Halo 5 was a bad game, only that it had been left in the dust by Destiny in terms of modern design, populace excitement, and lasting significance moving forward.

Yeah, that's why Quake and Unreal Tournament are such healthy and profitable franchises these days.

No need to be snobby. Also, Quake Live is pretty popular on PC (though nowhere near CSGO's insane numbers), and Unreal Tournament 4 is picking up steam, despite being in a pre-alpha state. They're as pure as arena shooters get these days, but there's still games like Halo to provide a similar enjoyable experience on consoles.

The genre persists. The rules of the genre evolve.

Halo has been rendered every bit the dinosaur that Quake and UT were rendered by the time Halo 2 hit the market.

Halo 5 is to Halo what Quake 4 was to Quake.

It's clearly not, or else we wouldn't be seeing Halo ads on television, on our Monster cans, on book shelves, toy isles, and so on. Halo is a juggernaut franchise, unlike Quake, and focuses on marketing as much as it does the games.

I just wish some of Halo 5's weaker features had been polished a bit before launch. The bad ranking system, botched matchmaking between parties and solo players, and a lack of social playlists clearly hurt the game's population. Just like people enjoyed rocket races and instagib in Quake, people like Oddball and Fiesta in Halo. And yet, that's not in Halo 5, which stinks.

Anybody here even remember Quake 4? LOL

I do, but it wasn't as well-liked as previous games in the series, because it focused more on the story than it did the multiplayer mode that made it so popular in the first place; a mistake I feel Halo has yet to make (unless you count Reach, heh).

Unreal Tournament 3 made different mistakes, which is why folks stuck with UT2k4 until UT4 started rolling out. In fact, folks still play UT2k4 regularly, which makes me pretty happy.

Monocle

Ok.

I thought we were discussing the posted Eurogamer article.

The thesis of the article was never that Halo 5 was a bad game, only that it had been left in the dust by Destiny in terms of modern design, populace excitement, and lasting significance moving forward.
I mean... that's hardly controversial. Destiny is clearly more popular and influential than Halo, unfortunately.

In Destiny, Bungie failed to deliver a cohesive PvE experience that's up to the Halo standard they themselves established. They gutted Destiny's original story and cut loads of campaign content that they later sold in expansions. For this they were richly rewarded by gamers who were reeled in by the game's addictive elements and social format. The vast, fully explorable, lore-steeped world that Bungie promised was reduced to a middling MMO whose main saving grace is its good mechanics.

As far as I'm concerned, Destiny's popularity reinforces the fact that success and attention have at best a loose correlation to quality and merit.

Thanks, Michael Pachter.

You realize the appeal of games like CoD and Destiny isn't because they have depth or long-term appeal, but because they're simple games that can be enjoyed by the lowest common denominator, right? They're games played by everyone from small children to adults working 9-to-5 jobs.

Destiny's success isn't because it's a better game than Halo. It's because the game won players over with mediocre MMO elements and baiting players with a carrot on a stick. It is, at its core, a good co-op shooter with damage spongy enemies with decent AI. That makes it a perfect candidate for the lowest common denominator, as they can play it without having to give much of a crap about the actual mechanics beyond "point and shoot".

The game's best features are the Vault of Glass and King's Fall, but honestly, even those get boring after a while. I'm not a fan of how Bungie's response to anything being overpowered is "nerf it into the ground", or how weaker gear remains weak, pretty much until someone points out how it's been unloved for a whole year (RIP Nechrochasm, buffed after its time had passed).

As far as I'm concerned, Destiny's popularity reinforces the fact that success and attention have at best a loose correlation to quality and merit.

See: NFL 2k, a lovingly crafted football game, taken away by EA because they could afford the NFL license.

It's not that I hate Madden. No, it's a similar situation between Halo and Destiny. It's just that I think NFL 2k was the better series, and Madden made sure we'd never get a football game of that caliber.

Is it req day today guys?

Yep.

Trup1aya

Halo is dad?

Etc etc?

What's most depressing about this is that halo is a better game than destiny in just about every way EXCEPT when it comes to encouraging friends to play together and making players feel invested.

If Spartan companies were viewable in game, I think people would be forming fireteams a lot more often, and we wouldn't have these complaints about people having to play solo.

Also the omission of firefight again sticks out like a sore thumb... It was the perfect co-op PvE experience. Then there is Spartan Ops. Which was very poorly executed in 4, but had potential. Then destiny comes along and basically takes a similar concept and does it right.

I think halo5 is a great game. But it needed to be outstanding. So many missed opportunities. So much untapped potential.

Seriously, what does 343 have against firefight?

What's most depressing about this is that halo is a better game than destiny in just about every way EXCEPT when it comes to encouraging friends to play together and making players feel invested.

Games like Call of Duty and Destiny have taught players that instant gratification is far more rewarding than long-term goals. And believe me, I play a lot of Call of Duty and Destiny, so I get it.

If Spartan companies were viewable in game, I think people would be forming fireteams a lot more often, and we wouldn't have these complaints about people having to play solo.

Why they're not is beyond me.

Seriously, what does 343 have against firefight?

They wanted to form a cohesive picture of what they are, rather than clinging exclusively to what made Bungie unique. In some ways, they succeeded (giving the Chief a voice during missions, expanding on the narrative outside of "this is good guy, this is bad guy") and in other ways, they didn't (Spartan Ops, loadouts).

I've just got two dmr's.
DMR with bayonet and DMR with kinetic bolts.

So I have four of them now :D

Feels good, doesn't it?

Detective

Games like Call of Duty and Destiny have taught players that instant gratification is far more rewarding than long-term goals. And believe me, I play a lot of Call of Duty and Destiny, so I get it.

Why they're not is beyond me.

They wanted to form a cohesive picture of what they are, rather than clinging exclusively to what made Bungie unique. In some ways, they succeeded (giving the Chief a voice during missions, expanding on the narrative outside of "this is good guy, this is bad guy") and in other ways, they didn't (Spartan Ops, loadouts).

Feels good, doesn't it?

Ohhhh yeah :D

Ramirez

Had a lot of good times with Destiny, but now that I have a good competitive MP to play, I have literally zero interest to touch it. Most people these days aren't into super punishing MP on console, it is what it is.

You realize the appeal of games like CoD and Destiny isn't because they have depth or long-term appeal, but because they're simple games that can be enjoyed by the lowest common denominator, right? They're games played by everyone from small children to adults working 9-to-5 jobs.

Destiny's success isn't because it's a better game than Halo. It's because the game won players over with mediocre MMO elements and baiting players with a carrot on a stick. It is, at its core, a good co-op shooter with damage spongy enemies with decent AI. That makes it a perfect candidate for the lowest common denominator, as they can play it without having to give much of a crap about the actual mechanics beyond "point and shoot".

The game's best features are the Vault of Glass and King's Fall, but honestly, even those get boring after a while. I'm not a fan of how Bungie's response to anything being overpowered is "nerf it into the ground", or how weaker gear remains weak, pretty much until someone points out how it's been unloved for a whole year (RIP Nechrochasm, buffed after its time had passed).

Meh, diehard fans of Quake 3 and UT claimed the only reason Halo superseded those games in popularity was because it was a dumbed-down and slowed-down experience catered to the masses (ie console gamers, pc master race, yada yada).

The diehard audience for the dinosaur will always try to rationalize the extinction of their preferred experience by way of tearing down the merit of the new product.

"People are just too dumb to realize how much better my favorite game is!"

Same old, same old. The cycle continues.

Deception

Had a lot of good times with Destiny, but now that I have a good competitive MP to play, I have literally zero interest to touch it. Most people these days aren't into super punishing MP on console, it is what it is.
Are you getting Rainbow 6 Siege? Been playing the beta the last few days and minus the network problems, the game is very fun and really tactical.

Halo is dad?

Etc etc?

Destiny is PvE, that's the draw, it's not getting your arse handed to you in multiplayer it's running around doing stuff against AI, it's for the most part, easy.

Halo is constant PvP it is great moments tied to frustrating matchmaking and connection issues half the time.

Halo PvP owns Destiny PvP hands down, no contest. But it's the PvE that makes it great, i feel that's the change in the market.

You don't have to be good to enjoy Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom