• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nostalgia does weird things to people, lol. I played Reach for like 10 hours and then quit console gaming for several years -- it wasn't the ONLY reason, but without a playable Halo game to keep me booting up the 360 I just didn't have much of a reason to keep it around. Never even played 4 MP. It sounds like your friends have moved on and just prefer a different type of game now.

Halo 4 was #4 most played until at least February of 2013, nearly 2-3 months after launch. Halo 5 is barely out a month and drops out of top 10. I do think sales will pick up and there will always be players to play, but I think this will be a great learning opportunity at seeing what's keeping player retention going.

We have no Firefight, no Spartan Ops, no campaign scoring, no campaign theater (easy speed run submissions), no split screen, no Forge, no infection/flood, no grifball, BTB only came under 2 weeks ago. There is only Strongholds and CTF in terms of objective. I mean even simple things like campaign having no rally points for easy entry into missions affects how much you play.

The premiere mode for Halo 5 becomes Warzone, but then with only 3 maps. Arena only had 6 maps, a few of which are remixes. This all affects how much 'time' can be spent on Halo and affects it's ranking. I think the Forge update will definitely bring in a ton of players though, as Forgers not only make maps, but then spend time testing amongst each other etc. And then we can probably get the grifball, infection and other popular game types back.

That's not an apples to apples comparison. First of all halo is generally around 5th or 6th not out of the top ten like it was briefly. Second a bunch of games just launched over a 4 week period and halo was the first one of those launched so it is competing for time with 5 or 6 other titles.

The competitive multi-player is absolutely the best it's ever been and extra modes are not going to change that but they are losing out on a faction of gamers without a decent PvE mode.

I think the big problem is that for whatever reason be it the failings of MCC, Halo 4 or whatever halo 5 just simply did not sell at the same level as games like Cod, Destiny, fallout, Fifa, NBA etc...

I think in 4 months we will get a much better picture of where this game stands after people eat through all these big titles.

As a fan of the series I couldn't be more excited. 343i has refined the halo series to a modern day flawlessly and with the roots firmly planted of something great we have something they can build upon for years to come.

e8ebcdc3329467db3d006ae07e02f24e.png

This sounds exciting.

It's so gooood. Love it.

precisely this.

It's mostly cosmetic, and has zero forced negative impacts on one's play style (or the game's play style in general).

That's not entirely true, while I only feel I can speak for myself, I've heard other parrot my sentiments in saying that I find it obstructive. I don't like how it takes up my screen and is in the way. It's my number one dislike of the pistol.

It's so gooood. Love it.
Welp, definitely a fan after trying them out! This is what they look like for anyone curious:

http://gfycat.com/DefenselessSnivelingBangeltiger

EDIT:
That's not entirely true, while I only feel I can speak for myself, I've heard other parrot my sentiments in saying that I find it obstructive. I don't like how it takes up my screen and is in the way. It's my number one dislike of the pistol.
Yeah, I dislike the Pistol Smart Scope most. Give me this GOAT:
I'd love for the original reticle to return with the CE Pistol.

Karl2177

EDIT:

IMO, it's the best way to limit the pistol's effective range without it feeling like crap. Why would you pick up a DMR aside from the larger magazine if you had a pistol that could cross map?

IMO, it's the best way to limit the pistol's effective range without it feeling like crap. Why would you pick up a DMR aside from the larger magazine if you had a pistol that could cross map?
The Halo 5 Pistol is more effective at shooting long range than the CE Pistol.

Example -- People think the CE Pistol had insane range, but it did not. Also, the Halo 5 Pistol is hitscan, so you don't need to lead shots, and the magnetism is probably more than the CE Pistol outside of the RRR. If it wasn't for the higher shots to kill, the H5 Pistol would be much better than the CE Pistol.

EDIT: We were originally talking about the Smart Scope btw, how it obstructs the view. I don't see how changing it so it's less obtrusive would make it more effective long range.

Akai__

You can't satisfy CE elitists. Even with a Pistol that isn't poop.

But those guys will get what they want anyways, when they add the CE pistol as Legendary weapon. All you need is 343i allowing people to spawn with it in Forge/Custom Games. Good luck.

Karl2177

The Halo 5 Pistol is more effective at shooting long range than the CE Pistol.

Example -- People think the CE Pistol had insane range, but it did not. Also, the Halo 5 Pistol is hitscan, so you don't need to lead shots, and the magnetism is probably more than the CE Pistol outside of the RRR. If it wasn't for the higher shots to kill, the H5 Pistol would be much better than the CE Pistol.

EDIT: We were originally talking about the Smart Scope btw, how it obstructs the view. I don't see how changing it so it's less obtrusive would make it more effective long range.

It's what you can see. If you can't see player A behind the smart scope overlay, then it's limiting how you perform at range.

Based radar.

And I just can't unsee these things:

2d67dcec5af62aece2ceef420435b493.gif

Damn geometry man.. Look how they bump up when running over that small lip ;\
It's what you can see. If you can't see player A behind the smart scope overlay, then it's limiting how you perform at range.
It's possible, but I don't think it really impacts my performance too much one way or the other. I dislike the design choice.

Montresor

Finished off legendary solo and got the full 1000/1000. That was a Great Journey.

Incredible campaign. I'll keep my previous rating of 4.5/5. My only criticisms are still: Too many Warden fights, Cortana redesign was needless and hideous, and no subtitles on audio logs was a bad idea.

Things I loved:

-On second play through I noticed a lot more of the music. First level had a wonderful Mass Effect style ambient song near its middle. Swords of Sanghelios had a great digital/rock song once you get the mantises. The Kraken level also had a soothing acoustic guitar riff during one of its lengthy battles. And the level The Breaking, Chief's last level, had an incredible remix of the original Halo theme.

-The campaign levels were just brilliant. The Argent Moon level was ingenious and rich in diversity. Start off with small firefights, then a big sandbox, then a more horror-themed romp through dark tunnels, more sandbox, then a banshee flying sequence, and another big sandbox. Everytime I was stuck on legendary it struck me just how many different ways to tackle a level there were. If I kept dying going one path, I'd try the second or third path until I found the one right for my play style and weapon set. I did that a couple of times on some of the levels with the big firefight arenas, like Argent Moon, and Swords of Sanghelioa.

-Visuals were wonderful. Solid 60fps and looking amazing from top to bottom. Everything about the campaign's "graphics" was pleasing... Art style, architecture, level design, performance, detail...

-Best part of the game was the middle section in Sanghelios. Going from the crisp, rocky environments in the first Sanghelios level and then culminating in the orange/blue/purple colours of Sunaion was mt favorite part.

-The overall package is undeniably lacking compared to previous games. People have already mentioned many missing modes and features, I.e. Campaign scoring, no oddball, no firefight, etc... That is a big shame, and I hope for the community that 343 addresses that quickly.

Monocle

The great thing about Warzone is you don't have to race other players for the most fun weapons and vehicles. You just wait for your REQ level to grow and then literally summon whatever you want to use. It's fantastic. If a game is going badly, you can just be like "I'm going to get some sniping practice in" or "I'm going to race around like a maniac on a gungoose."

I've been playing a lot of Warzone Assault to grind REQ points, and sometimes a player on the defensive side will call in a scout hog right away and distract the attacking team by racing back and forth in front of the base. It can be surprisingly effective, lol.

Can anyone explain to me why Reach's amazing grenade launcher isn't in Halo 5?

k7Ax99F.png

It's so insanely satisfying to hold the trigger and then pop your grenade right next to an enemy or vehicle. In Warzone I'd finally be able to use it as often as I've always wanted to. I really hope 343 add that weapon in a future update.

Trup1aya

I never like the DMR since its introduction into halo. The BR made it feel irrelevant.

Now, I absolutely love it. I haven't unlocked it yet in Warzone, but I picked a couple off of dead bodies. And it was glorious.

One thing the much maligned. "ADS" does it Halo 5, is give each weapon it's own identity. The crystal clear scope of the DMR makes it ideal for a marksman, while the BR feels like a mid range weapon that can surpress at range of needed (as it should)

The great thing about Warzone is you don't have to race other players for the most fun weapons and vehicles. You just wait for your REQ level to grow and then literally summon whatever you want to use. It's fantastic. If a game is going badly, you can just be like "I'm going to get some sniping practice in" or "I'm going to race around like a maniac on a gungoose."

I've been playing a lot of Warzone Assault to grind REQ points, and sometimes a player on the defensive side will call in a scout hog right away and distract the attacking team by racing back and forth in front of the base. It can be surprisingly effective, lol.

Can anyone explain to me why Reach's amazing grenade launcher isn't in Halo 5?

k7Ax99F.png

It's so insanely satisfying to hold the trigger and then pop your grenade right next to an enemy or vehicle. In Warzone I'd finally be able to use it as often as I've always wanted to. I really hope 343 add that weapon in a future update.

Reach beta had the best pro pipe, the remote detonation still looked like a grenade and was strong against players, then they changed it to that very EMP looking explosion and reduced the kill zone size to make it more anti-vehicle.

Was upsetting, still a fun weapon though.

mo60

I wish could play warzone because it sounds fun, but I get destroyed every single time I try to play it.I'm thinking of going back to play that mode again during the winter break.Does anyone have any tips for it.

Trup1aya

I wish could play warzone because it sounds fun, but I get destroyed every single time I try to play it.I'm thinking of going back to play that mode again during the winter break.Does anyone have any tips for it.

Play Warzone Assualt until you score yourself a req pick that contains a BR.

Then hold that baby close, it's the great equalizer.

RSB

Banned

I prefer the classic zoom in general, but yeah, the pistol is the only weapon where the new ADS animation actually bothers me.

it's funny how players ignore plasma caster, gun is great when used properly

Plasma Caster is in this weird space where it's good, but not quite so good as to justify the difficulty of use involved. Individual grenades don't give much splash, so bouncing them is a real pain. And the heavy dropoff and low speed on the charge makes that tricky as well.

It can do hilarious things to vehicles though.

Plasma Caster is in this weird space where it's good, but not quite so good as to justify the difficulty of use involved. Individual grenades don't give much splash, so bouncing them is a real pain. And the heavy dropoff and low speed on the charge makes that tricky as well.

Yeah. As a power weapon it might make sense in BTB, but it's not worth the effort/risk of going for in Arena, let alone the trade-off of potentially dropping a better weapon (ie, any precision weapon).

now that... is a totally legitimate concern!

doesn't bother me so much [ed: at all], but I can completely understand how & why it might [& does] bother others.

BraXzy

More often than not when I pick one of these up I either kill myself or hit nothing at all and die to a pistol. If my teammates grab it, more often than not they will betray me while trying to get the guy next to me that I'm about to melee.

In the right hands though, it can be pretty deadly. I definitely need to practice more with it.

Hatchtag

Banned
why is warzone only slayer and assault? why not capture the flag/bomb/strongholds? Like capture the flag on such an epic scale would be damn cool. Balancing could be an issue, but Warzone isn't balanced at all so it'd fit right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom