• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

Anyone have experience using this? It looks like this is the best thing I've unlocked today.
Echidna

Experimental mini-missile warheads are just one of Chalybs Defense's many R&D projects. Advanced Hydra Launcher loaded with experimental EMP warheads capable of temporarily disabling enemy vehicles.

Trup1aya

Not how I read the bolded, but whatever.

"They were tasked with carrying on Halo's legacy. A much better tact would have been to take what Bungie has done with the franchise and build on it, not gut everything that people loved and replace it with mediocrity. "

A better tact towards carrying on Halo's legacy would by to build on what Bungie did, instead of changing the game fundamentally. When Halo 4 launched, it wasn't even an Arena shooter. If that's not gutting, and strong arming in their own identity, thusly replacing what Bungie had accomplished with mediocrity, I don't know what it's.

I even mentioned that with Halo5, they've moved towards that tact, but in failing to launch with key modes, there are some serious voids...

Detective

343i....I don't know what to say anymore.

Am trying to be polite but I just can't

Ruined Halo MCC. That's ok.

And now Halo 5.

Is it really that hard to get the game behave like you know.. A GAME?

You have MS behinds you, Azure, Lots of money and yet you can't seem to get the game behave like it should be.

Why the fuck is the game lagging? Aren't you guys using DEDICATED SERVERS?

How many time do we have to mention that so you can acknowledge the problem?

Do you know how frustrating that it when the game is lagging?

Or when people won't die? I've emptied a whole br on someone, without health, two grenades and SMG. WON'T DIE.

Two Red canon on another guy which was standing close to me and BR. Nothing happend.

I've sold My PS4 because Halo is what I need to play forward.
I've all the other newly released games, Does not touch them. Because I've dedicated my time for Halo.

Am keeping the Xbox just for Halo.
Otherwise I would have moved to PC. Building me something the consoles can never touch, But I love Halo. And I've said it before , Am a long time Xbox fan. First day with Halo CE. If am gonna give up Xbox or gaming for that matter it's gonna be because of you guys.

I've posted so many times in this thread about the lagging. No response at all.

5 days and 4 hours spent on War zone . I love Halo. But I've never been so frustrated when playing a halo game.

It was my get away game.

Now....It's getting on my nerves.

I really hope this will be fixed.

I love you guys and Halo. But please. Fix the dam lag.

EU servers..

Sorry for the complaints..

Ramirez

Holy fuck, who gives a shit about Destiny, we have a good Halo to play now.

If you enjoy Reach 2 in Crucible, more power to you.

Dropped from 1750 to 1500 playing by myself in slayer, ayyyyy.

BraXzy

2 days till the first December community update? God do I hope it's good.

If they address a lot of the issues people have, put minds at rest, give us a bit of info on their long term plan, and have lots of juicy stuff for the December update on top of Forge itself, things will pick up.

I really hope they don't turn a blind eye to stuff.

"They were tasked with carrying on Halo's legacy. A much better tact would have been to take what Bungie has done with the franchise and build on it, not gut everything that people loved and replace it with mediocrity. "

A better tact towards carrying on Halo's legacy would by to build on what Bungie did, instead of changing the game fundamentally. When Halo 4 launched, it wasn't even an Arena shooter. If that's not gutting, and strong arming in their own identity, thusly replacing what Bungie had accomplished with mediocrity, I don't know what it's.

I even mentioned that with Halo5, they've moved towards that tact, but in failing to launch with key modes, there are some serious voids...

The whole problem with 4 (multi) was that they did build on what Bungie did. They iterated on the direction Reach was going in. You can't look at the progression from H3 -> Reach (and, with the benefit of Hindsight, Destiny) and not say that they were trying their best to approximate what they thought a Bungie-made Halo 4 would play like.

In H5 they abandon that path and more in a different direction entirely. You cannot tie the problems in H4 and the problems with H5 to the same root cause like that.

mo60

I think the halo franchise will be fine in the long run. Franchises as big as halo go through down periods at times. It's up to 343i to take advantage of this down period and excite people again which I think they can do. Halo 5 is in a step in the right direction, but they do need to make the game a bit more friendly to casuals, but not so friendly were it pisses people off(i.e halo 4). Halo 5 will probably end up selling at least 60% of whatever halo 4 sold at the end of this gen.

Ramirez

So, 4 different times today I've been matched against 2 teams of 4, and we've gotten thoroughly thrashed in all 4. I also got matched against Scooby's team of 4 the other night.

I don't feel like this was happening much at all a few weeks ago. I need a playlist for solo play. I can take my losses with the best of them, but I don't think the system is working very well if you're losing like 70-80% of your matches.

JackHerer

Got an Ultra Rare DMR with recon sight and silencer. Thing is pretty damn cool. The BR sight makes it feel unique and gets rid of the awkward midrange aiming of the long scope. Would love to use this in customs. It would be a beast on smaller maps.

I end up running around with two DMRs sometimes so I can still cross map people.

Strider

There are many reasons that H5 didn't sell as well as past games but one thing that blows my mind with both H4 and H5 is they decided to release one week before CoD.

Why release right before all the other major games.. I always wonder just how many people played H4/5 for a week and went "It's pretty cool but if I trade it in I can get $40 towards X game" ... Then never return.

Why not the beginning of October to give some breathing room or after all the other holiday games come out. Maybe try eating into their playerbase instead of them stealing from you.
Idk just a thought... Like I said just one of many many reasons.

I'm really happy with what we have though and H5 will maintain a healthy population for a long time IMO so ultimately it's whatever.

So, 4 different times today I've been matched against 2 teams of 4, and we've gotten thoroughly thrashed in all 4. I also got matched against Scooby's team of 4 the other night.

I don't feel like this was happening much at all a few weeks ago. I need a playlist for solo play. I can take my losses with the best of them, but I don't think the system is working very well if you're losing like 70-80% of your matches.

Because people got fed up playing solo and either found groups to play with or stopped playing entirely.

I really want a playlist for solo play that isn't FFA but who knows if we'll ever get it. I'll probably spend all of my time in social playlists once one launches.

343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves
  • Enter the arena alone. Paring up with 3 other Spartans as you work together for victory.
  • Slayer, Strongholds, CTF are the available options in this playlist.

No full teams/parties will be allowed to que in this playlist :p
I know i'd play, since im always solo-queing. but then the regular slayer may see a dip in population? idk i just feel the pain when people are experiencing the losses against a full team of 4 that team shoot very well.

Trup1aya

The whole problem with 4 (multi) was that they did build on what Bungie did. They iterated on the direction Reach was going in. You can't look at the progression from H3 -> Reach (and, with the benefit of Hindsight, Destiny) and not say that they were trying their best to approximate what they thought a Bungie-made Halo 4 would play like.

In H5 they abandon that path and more in a different direction entirely. You cannot tie the problems in H4 and the problems with H5 to the same root cause like that.

I'm not tying the problems of 4 and 5 together. Why do you keep saying that? Halo4 wasn't an arena shooter. Halo5 (as I've stated time and time again) feels like they built on the best of Bungie, the H1-ODST era stuff.

Yes Halo 4 was influenced by Reach, 4 where reach straddled the line of an arena shooter. Halo 4 completely long jumper across the line. Loadouts, Power Ups as part of Loadouts, kills streaks, H4 just wasn't a halo game beyond having many of the same weapons. Simply 'building' on Reach wouldn't result it moving the franchise into a completely different sub-genre.

Halo 5 feels like classic halo through and through. I have given the them credit for using a better tact in there approach to H5. It's one major flaw, in my eyes, is a failure to prioritize classic Halo gametypes and experiences in favor of things that, while fun, don't serve as valid replacements for what has been lost. So although for different reasons we still have a game that feels gutted.

Herbs

Banned
343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves
  • Enter the arena alone. Paring up with 3 other Spartans as you work together for victory.

I know i'd play, since im always solo-queing. but then the regular slayer may see a dip in population? idk i just feel the pain when people are experiencing the losses against a full team of 4 that team shoot very well.

yup

Got an Ultra Rare DMR with recon sight and silencer. Thing is pretty damn cool. The BR sight makes it feel unique and gets rid of the awkward midrange aiming of the long scope. Would love to use this in customs. It would be a beast on smaller maps.

I end up running around with two DMRs sometimes so I can still cross map people.

I got that one as a pre-order bonus, it is so damn sexy. Kind of wish there was a magnum variant with a longer range scope (and higher REQ requirement) as well, it's fun to be able to use the precision weapons outside of their preferred range. CE pistol maybe?

Strider

343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves

mayatomr_gdlk.gif

Exactly the playlist I want. Except also include KotH and Oddball because those are going to be added to the game in this dream scenario too.

JackHerer

343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves

This would be godly. It would improve the game so much for me right now.

I generally like to play the game solo a lot but it's often an exercise in frustration in my Onyx or high-diamond playlists because of teams of 4 and iffy matchmaking in general.

BraXzy

I think there's three core things lacking in Halo 5 at the minute (besides Forge but that's coming in a couple weeks) holding it back from reaching its full potential. I personally think the core gameplay, the shooting, the movement and all that jazz is the best it has been in the series for me..

1) The amount of content - We need more maps, which we know are coming. I just hope there's enough of them, and they are quality maps. For both Arena and Warzone. While the PR map count was great to hear, when you boil it down, things are stretched pretty thin in each mode. The good news is, they are in the works, and they are all going to be free. And hopefully community cartographers can pull off some awesome work with Forge 5.0 themselves and that can get added in the future.

2) The lack of features (from prior games) - All the little things that Bungie built on over time, and even 343 in Reach that made Halo what it was. All of the gamemodes that we are currently missing like Griffball, Oddball, Races etc. Along with playlists in multiplayer. Weekly and Daily challenges to keep people coming back. Rewards in all modes to entice people to replay campaign (Along with campaign scoring) and feel like everything you were doing had extra value. QoL stuff like seeing what people are playing through the in-game lobby. And all the other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

3) Not having all things for all people - In the past, regardless of my mood, I have had something to do in a Halo game. Whether I wanted to push myself and try and rank up, or kick back and have a blast with some friends. In Halo 5, at the minute it's either go pro in Arena or play Warzone. I enjoy both but Warzone can get super stale after a couple hours, and sometimes I don't want to go MLG pro in Arena. I think a dedicated PVE mode is vital, especially in today's market with Destiny and CoD with Zombies etc. It's the perfect middle ground for people who want the awesome gameplay without the headache.

I mean, just thinking back on the campaign, I'd be more than happy to have a new and improved Firefight with REQ's in campaign play spaces if that's the best they could do with resources for the time being. I'm sure there would need to be some tweaks to allow vehicles but hell, some of the spots in the campaign were gorgeous and the level design was excellent. Just imagine battling waves here:

Or even just go for Warzone Firefight. Why not.

Karl2177

You imply 343 knew about MCC's matchmaking issues in advance. They've said repeatedly and talked pretty candidly (assuming I recall correctly) that they were completely caught off guard.
The big thing for me is that they had to have known something was up, or else why would they still be using an old build at the launch tournament? There were literally copies of the game that would be handed out 48 hours later, yet they are using an old build that has issues staying connected to the game. It comes across as very shady. We still haven't gotten the rundown that Frank promised either(and I'm darn-near fully convinced we never will).

Don't forget to take into account that Bungie said they were doing things different as a sort of test bed for their next game. ODST's hub world wasn't that way because they thought it would be a novel idea for Halo. They did it because it was a test for loading different sections of a larger world and a gameplay concept that they wanted to tinker with before their next big thing. Reach's AAs were designed partially as an evolution to equipment, but also as a test for persistent abilities in Destiny. From my perspective, the concepts that Bungie introduced in ODST and Reach were more tests for Destiny rather than what they had in mind for Halo. The changes from CE -> 3 show more of Bungie's evolution of Halo, since that is when it was their's not Microsoft's.

IHaveIce

Banned
Losing a Stronghold game by 1 point... but it was 3v4.. like most of the time in Arena

Edit: god dammit 3 games strongholds in a row.. I really dislike this gametype.. and now on The Rig

jem0208

See, all you're doing is talking down on Destiny to bring up Halo. It's a weak argument. Halo and Destiny are different games. Secondly, every other Halo game had better controls than Halo 5. I have NEVER complained about controls for a Halo game. And what's even weird is that the beta played perfectly fine.
That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm explaining what's wrong with Destiny and using H5 as an example of what's right because well, this is a Halo 5 thread.

Also you're mistaking aim assist for aim acceleration. 5's weird aiming is due to some odd aim acceleration curves. They've said they're adding more options in the December update though so hopefully that'll fix ortho

Thanks for the quotes guys. I do good sometimes right? haha

See Stinkles, my ideas are Champion status. :p

I asked for Truth in slayer, you delivered. Thank you.
Now i ask for the people. The people want LONE WOLVES!!!

Ow owwwwwwwww!!!!! (okay i went too far here, sorry)

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

Maybe even give credit to Lurker Tashi
. Watching us from the shadows.... o_O

Madness

I don't think many of us realize just how few people actually play games or shooters anymore? I mean Battlefront is ahead of Halo 5 when you look at Xbox most played games, and then you look at Battlefront stats and see that in 24 hours, only 77k peak people were on and right now, only like 33k players are playing and its ahead of H5. So imagine what the population must be, spread over campaign, arena and warzone. So that could be a reason why matching suffers at times, or why regions that aren't especially Xbox one populated, suffer?

Is there anything in the public API's that tells us population numbers for Arena, Warzone etc.

Strider

I feel like FFA rankings are so inflated.

I can dong on people that are Onyx. Even people as high as Onyx 1700-1800

Yet for the life of me I cant reach Onyx in Slayer. Highest I've gotten is Diamond 6 and then I go on a losing streak

BraXzy

Random thought for the day- I wish there was a Randomize button in the armor customization screen.

On top of that, I wish there was a way to favourite/pin certain stuff.

The amount of times I'll click on a helmet to see what it looks like, and then forget what I had been rocking beforehand and have to scroll through 100+ helmets to find it :3

link1201

Yet for the life of me I cant reach Onyx in Slayer. Highest I've gotten is Diamond 6 and then I go on a losing streak
I think the initial ranking coupled with not being able to derank causes weird mm. For example say someone tore it up during placement but then couldn't maintain a winning record in subsequent matches. I believe the game will match them according to skill not based on their rank. So you will see "onyx" players with diamond players. These aren't really onyx level players but they had placed higher then they should have.

BraXzy

There's 82K+ people listed for FFA on Halo Tracker, I doubt all of them have finished placement matches.

There's 192K+ people listed for Team Arena on Halo Tracker, so there's a bigger pool. That'll have something to do with it.

Anyone open up their Warzone Packs yet today? :p .. i haven't
EDIT:

Couldn't resit... just did and i am super dissapointed. Only good things were the legendary/rare boosts... sigh...

Madness

Do packs stack? Might as well save what I have then until I've unlocked more junk so they don't get wasted on giving me anything but Rare or above.

But with how little I play coupled with post launch plans, my luck will probably have the next content release come with 4 more different colors of mongoose or scout warthogs to unlock.

Try to stay strong Samurai :(

The packs are a waste of money imo unless you grind out all the uncommons and stuff.

Oni Mongoose...
Ultra ghost...
Hellcat helm...

BAH. i've been trying to so hard to spam bronze after each game too. BLASPHEMY! lol... atleast one legendary customization option plzzzz 343i plzzzz lol

BraXzy

An idea I had was having the different Spartans on your team stand in the background of the entire screen sort of like hero select screens in moba's. Instead of the map, or that could be the backdrop of the Spartans. But it'd probably look dumb in practice with all the info needed to be displayed.

This is literally what I pictured in my head. But obviously for multiplayer. Replace Plateau with the map name, replace info with gametype. Boom. I pictured the Spartans more central (using players custom armour and stances) with the lobby name list down the right though.

jeff-christy-characterselect-21-1080-3-out-colortreated.jpg

This is literally what I pictured in my head. But obviously for multiplayer. Replace Plateau with the map name, replace info with gametype. Boom. I pictured the Spartans more central with the lobby name list down the right though.

Where is that pic from? damn that is some pre-finalized stuff, but i love that lobby. Feels so damn BAS ASS . I want this, i need this.

I dont even know how the real co-op lobby looks like tbh lol .

BraXzy

Where is that pic from? damn that is some pre-finalized stuff, but i love that lobby. Feels so damn BAS ASS . I want this, i need this.

I dont even know how the real co-op lobby looks like tbh lol .

One of the UI artists from 343 posted them to ArtStation. I LOVE how this looks. You can tell how early this was, Tanaka and Vale have the same armour and Buck is still Thorne!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BaL9z

Check out the post-game carnage report and medal list and stuff. Why didn't this make it into the game? This looks sleek and feels "next-gen" in a way that the current one feels like the mock up.

Welfare

One of the UI artists from 343 posted them to ArtStation. I LOVE how this looks. You can tell how early this was, Tanaka and Vale have the same armour and Buck is still Thorne!

Check out the post-game carnage report and medal list and stuff. Why didn't this make it into the game? This looks sleek and feels "next-gen" in a way that the current one feels like the mock up.

Lol now I'm pissed. Where the fuck is this post game carnage report in the final game?

E92 M3

This is literally what I pictured in my head. But obviously for multiplayer. Replace Plateau with the map name, replace info with gametype. Boom. I pictured the Spartans more central (using players custom armour and stances) with the lobby name list down the right though.

Sexy AF

Worse. That lobby looks better than the final one.

:( ...

I'm crying a little inside now... eyepopping visuals. Sure some tweaking to make it a bit more clean, but the theme/style is very eye pleasing to me. Especially how you equip helmets. omg i hate how it sorts them.

BraXzy

I'm crying a little inside now... eyepopping visuals. Sure some tweaking to make it a bit more clean, but the theme/style is very eye pleasing to me. Especially how you equip helmets. omg i hate how it sorts them.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the excessive blurry bloom going on behind each menu screen. Like you said, clean that up a bit, and you've got a sexy menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom