• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

slide boosting was taken out? that sucks.

Sound like it. And yes it does suck. What bothers me is that no one in the community saw it as a problem, and the pro scene adored it. 'Fixing' it without ever even publicly referring to it as a bug, makes no sense.

im_dany

I don't have an Xbox One (love my PS4 but if I could I would trade it for an Xbox) and I really miss Halo - despite Destiny and COD being easier I always get shit scores. I know Halo 5 is way more difficult but I have a feeling I would rank better than those other games I mentioned, probably because Arena type games are my jam.

That's because Halo is 100% consistent. You know how many bullets you need, you know which weapons you can expect the enemy to use, you know it's someone's fault if you lose.
No other FPS is like this. In COD, you don't know if you're going to need 2 or 5 bullets to kill someone because the game is highly unconsistent. This makes the game the opposite of competitive: what's the point in getting better in a game with so many uncontrollable variables?

E92 M3

That's because Halo is 100% consistent. You know how many bullets you need, you know which weapons you can expect the enemy to use, you know it's someone's fault if you lose.
No other FPS is like this. In COD, you don't know if you're going to need 2 or 5 bullets to kill someone because the game is highly unconsistent. This makes the game the opposite of competitive: what's the point in getting better in a game with so many uncontrollable variables?

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, some people are really good at Cod, while others are not so much. Different games require different skills and approaches.

Tomash

slide boosting was taken out? that sucks.

Coincidentally, similar BO3's exploit is also getting patched. It's called G-slide and it allows you to slide through the air. Unlike H5's slide boosting, it can be activated whenever(press slide button while in air, press jump before landing to activate slide). Not a good year for exploits.

Trup1aya

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, some people are really good at Cod, while others are not so much. Different games require different skills and approaches.

Every game has a skill gap... But COD begins and ends with map knowledge and aim speed. Pro level play always boils down to who saw whom first. There really isn't much meta game to speak of.

Coincidentally, similar BO3's exploit is also getting patched. It's called G-slide and it allows you to slide through the air. Unlike H5's slide boosting, it can be activated whenever(press slide button while in air, press jump before landing to activate slide). Not a good year for exploits.

Yeah, unlike the blood exploit, h5's actually added a ton of depth to the movement mechanics.

mo60

Halo 5 has fallen from popularity because Microsoft mismanaged their console. They announced an Xbox that seemed made strictly for western markets.

Then 343 made poor design decisions with Halo 4 that distanced fans and then 343 and Microsoft made terrible decisions that alienated even more people with The Master Chief Collection debacle.

Halo 5 is a solid game on a technical and gameplay level, but in order for it to have truly set minds on fire, it needed to have been firing on all cylinders from day one and sadly, it wasn't.

Moreover, Halo 5 is a demanding game. I love that about it, but I see the challenge that keeps casuals away. With all of today's popular shooters, they are literally point and click. See and enemy, pull trigger, have some semblance of aim, get kill.

Halo has shields and shields keep people from that instant gratification they've come to expect for COD, Battlefield, etc.

What people need is to understand is that almost of the factors that made Halo 3 top dog last gen are gone and will likely never return again. You've got 36 million PS4s in the wild and other shooters on Xbox One and disillusioned fans and wary casuals to deal with now. I'm sure the brass at MS and leadership at 343 are already well aware of this fact. So it makes no sense to bemoan Halo's current position. The mighty have fallen, there's no arguing that.

What needs to happen now is that 343 needs to continue to build on Halo 5, not just until June, but for the foreseeable future and when Halo 6 finally arrives, it needs to be feature complete, ON DAY ONE. That won't guarantee 5 million sales in a week, but it'll surely continue to gain some goodwill, since 343've now shown that they can at least craft a technically competent Halo game.

Yep. I agree. Anyway, people will declare the franchise dead because of halo 5 but in the end 343i will probably prove them wrong.The franchise will still be around in the future.

Karl2177

Gonna queue up some Forge maps tonight for some playtesting. If you have a map you want played, drop your GT. Also need some players. Gonna start in about 2/3 hours. Hope some of you can join in.

If it was 4 hours from now, I could make it. If you have 4v4, could you check Intercession Remix on gamertag Karl2177. I have everything on there, just need to change the named location volumes from the original. It's a remix to the one we played the other day. Thanks! : )

Fuchsdh

That's probably for the best. More time for design & polish. Potentially also more time to take in feedback for the previous game.

H5G wasn't the spin-off to introduce Team Osiris? ;)

j/k

mmhm.... I'd be happy with updated Hood & Miranda, and the rest of the character models just need a higher poly budget based off of the original art design. Sound-wise, as much as I don't fully agree with what 343i has done to alien sounds, H3 was probably the weakest.

As for the rest of the engine... Keep the lighting engine, re-bake for higher resolution lightmaps, revamp the shadowmapping, and add some compute shader stuff (e.g. AO, improved water physics).

Wouldn't mind if they skipped multiplayer altogether... (to avoid splitting playerbase? and also development cost...)

Saber's shown an incredible growth in their capabilities and understanding of Halo from CEA (which was a rush job and had some dodgy redesigns) to H2A (which was more faithful and also more artfully done). I'd love them to get a crack at 3. As you said, it's got solid tech but the character models would be the biggest area for improvement. Seeing those static 2D cinematic backgrounds turned into something pre rendered could be pretty cool too.

The split player base is something I was wondering about, since a CEA-style map pack would be awesome (and bringing back Brute Shot, Spiker, maybe the Chopper would be cool.) but it's also incompatible with their DLC philosophy going forward. Maybe the campaign would be pay, the maps would be paywalled for a month or two before becoming free, and as an incentive certain cosmetics would only be available for those who purchased it.

Also, in terms of things that need sprucing up I think re-orchestrating Halo 3 would be a good benefit. It's the most flat-sounding game of the series too me, with a really mushy interpretation of the Halo theme.

If H6 will be on the new xbox, they need to make H5 F2P this coming fall/spring 17. Will build hype for the new halo/xbox and 343 will make bank on REQs. Not to mention every xbox owner will get to play a feature complete/polished H5 at that point which will bring in alot of goodwill/hope for H6.

JackHerer

Man if they really removed slide boosting (purposefully) then that is truly an epic fail on 343s part. One of the cooler little things in the game and something I've actually started to use somewhat consistently in matches. 343 pls keep.

Nowise10

If H6 will be on the new xbox, they need to make H5 F2P this coming fall/spring 17. Will build hype for the new halo/xbox and 343 will make bank on REQs. Not to mention every xbox owner will get to play a feature complete/polished H5 at that point which will bring in alot of goodwill/hope for H6.

..Why would it be on the next Xbox. This thing just came out 2 years ago.

This skin tho.

mJtXIxH.png

Also new armor set spotted, blue team color may be getting lighter, and slide boost might be patched (for tournies).

E92 M3

Removing super slide sounds like a trivial and bitter thing to do. All it did was add more depth to the movement mechanics.

cant make it, can you stream?

That's the plan - Bestgameever Livestream

Feel free to test out S 1.18 on my tag (BraXzyy). It's a Breakout map :)

If I can make it, I'll be there!

I'll make sure I pick it up.

If it was 4 hours from now, I could make it. If you have 4v4, could you check Intercession Remix on gamertag Karl2177. I have everything on there, just need to change the named location volumes from the original. It's a remix to the one we played the other day. Thanks! : )

Will probably be playing quite late into the evening, so if you see me online, just shout, I'm sure there'll be room. :)

Exactly.

There are good COD players but to be honest we're talking about a game that has a ridiculous low TTK so who sees the enemy first gets the kill. You can't even try to kill the guy, TTK doesn't allow that. And it's really annoying being shot in the back and don't even get the time to retaliate - that's not how a competitive game should work.

Don't get me wrong, Black Ops 3 is a really good game. I can even get pretty crazy KDRs in some games but theres no consistency.

Every game has a skill gap... But COD begins and ends with map knowledge and aim speed. Pro level play always boils down to who saw whom first. There really isn't much meta game to speak of.
Aim speed... that comes from variables such as weapon mods. But yeah, that's COD.

Trup1aya

Damn, I can only just about pull it off on a straight slope down a ramp 50% of the time :3

FeelsBadMan.

Don't worry, it's all being patched out. Feelsbadman

The Xbox one is barely strong enough to be a next gen console. The idea of it being current gen for 5+ years is frightening. This generation will not be as long as the last one

Removing super slide sounds like a trivial and bitter thing to do. All it did was add more depth to the movement mechanics.

Added more depth and adversely affected no one's enjoyment. In fact, it brought joy to any who bothered with it. Trivial is putting it nicely.

NOZjTvy.png

For a space battle map I'm working. It's almost exactly to-scale with the in-universe version. Definitely going to have to go back and optimize a bit to give me enough parts to finish the Covenant CRS-class light cruiser on the other side of the map. Also want to see if I can free up enough parts to give the front some more detail. But other than that, the Frigate's done.

Awesome....

I think the relation to how quickly the technology has evolved in these 2 years is the reason why some people, including myself, are saying this gen will be short.

I don't think consoles can still use the same song and dance with their longetivity anymore. I beleive there business strat will need to adjust to consumer's needs/wants.

They already pay 600+ for phones about every year. IDK im just looking at trends.

E92 M3

Don't worry, it's all being patched out. Feelsbadman

The Xbox one is barely strong enough to be a next gen console. The idea of it being current gen for 5+ years is frightening. This generation will not be as long as the last one

Added more depth and adversely affected no one's enjoyment. In fact, it brought joy to any who bothered with it. Trivial is putting it nicely.

Yeah, definitely trying to be nice....haha

I wonder why they've changed the slide?

'Bitter' seems a very odd way of describing such a change.

Bitter is the most logical guess: a designer did not intend for it to be there and figured it tarnished the game in one way or another.

That said, until 343 makes an official announcement, I will hope for the best.

JackHerer

I wonder why they've changed the slide?

'Bitter' seems a very odd way of describing such a change.

I have a hard time believing that this was an intentional change because all though 343 has done a lot of dumb stuff over these years, I don't think that they are that dumb as to intentionally fix a small little glitch that players are exploiting that actually enhanced the game at high level play. I have never heard a single person complain about slide-boost. At most someone asks how you do it. What possible issue can they have with it?

How can you view the glitch as anything other than a happy accident? Especially if they are really taking input from the pro team I would expect them to embrace it, not actively try to code it out. Gotta wait until we have a little more information I guess. Has anyone tweeted Bravo or members of the pro team about it?

The last "word" from 343 that I saw was Tashi saying that the slide boost should still be working...

https://twitter.com/Tashi343i/status/687940044556992512?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Ah good to hear. Hopefully that's the case.

Welfare

I have a hard time believing that this was an intentional change because all though 343 has done a lot of dumb stuff over these years, I don't think that they are that dumb as to intentionally fix a small little glitch that players are exploiting that actually enhanced the game at high level play. I have never heard a single person complain about slide-boost. At most someone asks how you do it. What possible issue can they have with it?

How can you view the glitch as anything other than a happy accident? Especially if they are really taking input from the pro team I would expect them to embrace it, not actively try to code it out. Gotta wait until we have a little more information I guess. Has anyone tweeted Bravo or members of the pro team about it?

Back in Halo 4, they patched out a glitch that let you lob nades farther. Didn't really harm anyone, but they did it anyway.

If they do make H5 a service, as Bonnie Ross said, and, say, that stretched to only doing big SP updates every now and then etc etc, I wonder what their thinking would be vis gameplay updates. Fixing 'glitches', no matter how innocuous (and if that's actually happened this time), is one thing, but CE > 2 > 3 changes are another. Say H5 MP is alive for 5 years. Will they keep it the same? I wonder.

AlStrong

Saber's shown an incredible growth in their capabilities and understanding of Halo from CEA (which was a rush job and had some dodgy redesigns) to H2A (which was more faithful and also more artfully done). I'd love them to get a crack at 3. As you said, it's got solid tech but the character models would be the biggest area for improvement. Seeing those static 2D cinematic backgrounds turned into something pre rendered could be pretty cool too.

True... mm........ Actually, would like to see their take on the Scarab!

I wonder if they shouldn't touch the backgrounds though (especially with what they did to High Charity in H2A). XD

Actually, one thing I didn't keep up with for H5G was how the co-op lag compared to previous games - is it basically the same lock-step lag issue? That might be the only thing worth starting over from scratch although I guess that might be an insane overhaul given how the A.I. worked. hm... so scratch that idea. :s

Another thing that I'd have liked Saber to do for the previous two games was a more in-depth documentary on the work they did. More behind-the-scenes, more detailed comparisons of WIP. I guess the Old vs New is taken care of by the in-game graphics switch, but still... more artist commentary?

The split player base is something I was wondering about, since a CEA-style map pack would be awesome (and bringing back Brute Shot, Spiker, maybe the Chopper would be cool.) but it's also incompatible with their DLC philosophy going forward. Maybe the campaign would be pay, the maps would be paywalled for a month or two before becoming free, and as an incentive certain cosmetics would only be available for those who purchased it.

That'd be nice - H3 playlist with no clamber & no abilities? Guess that'd be a fair amount of work to bring all those missing vehicles/weapons/equipment into H5.

Forge the map layouts. -_-

Also, in terms of things that need sprucing up I think re-orchestrating Halo 3 would be a good benefit. It's the most flat-sounding game of the series too me, with a really mushy interpretation of the Halo theme.
mmhm... H2A was a pretty big improvement over the CEA rendition with just a few minor issues maybe (percussions in a couple of the tracks seemed way too low).

CGI cut-scenes again would be neat to see.

Fuchsdh

True... mm........ Actually, would like to see their take on the Scarab!

I wonder if they shouldn't touch the backgrounds though (especially with what they did to High Charity in H2A). XD

Actually, one thing I didn't keep up with for H5G was how the co-op lag compared to previous games - is it basically the same lock-step lag issue? That might be the only thing worth starting over from scratch although I guess that might be an insane overhaul given how the A.I. worked. hm... so scratch that idea. :s

Another thing that I'd have liked Saber to do for the previous two games was a more in-depth documentary on the work they did. More behind-the-scenes, more detailed comparisons of WIP. I guess the Old vs New is taken care of by the in-game graphics switch, but still... more artist commentary?

That'd be nice - H3 playlist with no clamber & no abilities? Guess that'd be a fair amount of work to bring all those missing vehicles/weapons/equipment into H5.

Forge the map layouts. -_-

mmhm... H2A was a pretty big improvement over the CEA rendition with just a few minor issues maybe (percussions in a couple of the tracks seemed way too low).

CGI cut-scenes again would be neat to see.

There was a really good postmortem of CEA in Game Developer that went into some of the stuff you were talking about, especially how they ended up deciding on the "run two engines concurrently" approach.

As for H5's campaign co-op, it's stupendous, and clearly the biggest benefit to moving to dedi's. Having someone drop from the game and then be able to rejoin without everything coming to a standstill or forcing you to restart feels like magic after years of finicky code and ice-skating Spartans off-host.

On that note... anyone know if a character other than Locke can reach the final objective and do the actions in the cinematic? It occurred to me that many of the in-game cinematics have different player vantage points depending on the character, but I've only ever completed the game as Locke.

Glass

Can I get 7 to come play some Haloes?

On in 15 minutes.

*hugs*

Feel free to invite me on Glass Dallas if you need the numbers, probably gona be micless though

Since it's only Ultra Rare, I should have it pretty quick. I've almost got all Ultra Rare's. Mwuhahaha.

Yeah I suspect a lot of us will have caught up to the ultra rare's and maybe legendaries at this pace. They'd need to flood the REQ pool with uncommons and rares otherwise.

HTupolev

Actually, one thing I didn't keep up with for H5G was how the co-op lag compared to previous games - is it basically the same lock-step lag issue?
It's asynchronous, and pretty slick.

There was a really good postmortem of CEA in Game Developer
In particular, the March 2012 issue. The GameDeveloper issues were all posted to GDC vault after the magazine shut down.

http://www.gdcvault.com/gdmag

jesu

As a casual player that doesn't play all that much it's annoying our ranks get reset every month.
I'm back after a month or so trying to get ranked it FFA.
But matter how bad I am, it is exhilarating!

How does matchmaking work if you are unranked?
Random?Play against other scrubs?
I seem to be doing alright.

I think it's a case of three strikes, you're out. Halo 4, MCC, Halo 5.

Halo 4 was a subpar burger from McDonalds. You asked for no pickles and they put them in anyway, so you took them out and finished your mediocre lunch.
MCC was literally a shit sandwich and the guy at the register tried to get you to eat it by putting ketchup on it. "Come on dude it's fine now."
Halo 5 is a burger consisting of one really good patty with average buns and zero condiments or toppings. The guy at the register keeps telling you your toppings are coming but you've been sitting here for half an hour and you're wondering why you're even putting up with their antics instead of going across the street to In-n-Out. Why did you even come back after that guy shit in your burger last time?

Lack of variety+poor dlc+bad communication=Population drops rapidly and no one is convinced. Maybe they should have tried releasing a finished game instead. They've got a passionate team with piss-poor leadership steering the ship. Genpop doesnt give a shit about your promises when 3 months in, the basic fucking gametypes havent arrived yet and they're still treating forge maps like they did you a real favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom