• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_dany

Not sure but I wish I'd saved my packs till the end of the 7 weeks when they would start spitting out good stuff.

2 more I think, and I agree. First few packs dropped me many uncommon items :/

I still need a lot of common/uncommon before moving from bronze to silver packs, something like 50/60 items.

I need to play this more (and a discard batch function) to open more packs

Ramirez

I have to get my kid up for school in like 10 mins Unstable. Add me though, we'll play sometime. No one wants to play with me at 5 AM though, I promise, lol.

Monocle

Warzone team balance is fucked. I just lost literally 12 games of Warzone Assault in a row, lol. My Warzone win ratio is resting at around 30%. Neat.

Wish I could unlock things by playing the campaign.

Trup1aya

Warzone team balance is fucked. I just lost literally 12 games of Warzone Assault in a row, lol. My Warzone win ratio is resting at around 30%. Neat.

Don't worry about the wins man! Just Rack up a bunch of Spartan kills, and swim in the RP, commendations, and XP that comes with it...

RobNBanks

Banned
Ok, you want constructive criticism?

If you want to curb or significantly decrease quitting, give players the option to hide all stats outside their ranking.

You make players individual records easily viewable online via website, app and in-game, then you incentivized a dick-measuring contest. To the shock of nobody (aside from 343i, of course, but they're clearly the last to consider anything), players are happy to quit when it means making their e-peen look bigger at a passing glance.

This is the direct result of a design philosophy built around catering to the least important populace in gaming ('pros').

It's pretty easy to have your cake and eat it too in this case. Let the 'pros' show off their stats as much as they want, let anybody who wants to set their stats to private do so. Assuming 343i's matchmaking means fuck all (spoiler: it doesn't, take it from a platinum that's been going up against diamonds and onyxs most of the weekend... but let's operate on the premise they make it functional), then the only front-facing information necessary is the rank. It's enough to show whether you 'belong' in the match or not, and give a general idea of your skill level relative to your peers, teammates and opposition.

But for the love of god, fire every single person involved in the multiplayer UI at 343i. Don't even bother giving them the courtesy of cleaning out their locker. Just dump their shit somewhere over Siberia and let them go look for it, it will keep them busy for awhile and spare all of us ever having to experience their work again. Hire some kids out of the Art Institute at a bargain rate, give them a copy of Reach and tell them to copy it as closely as possible.

You give players the ability to hide a K/D they're shy about, you remove the incentive to bail on a match where 343i's currently wretched matchmaking ensures their K/D is going to get the prison shower treatment.

Simple.

Extra points if your provide players with the option to wipe their stats back to zero and erase all the hellish history of being bent over and violated by your goddamn worthless placement and matchmaking systems.

EDIT:

Bonus constructive criticism: Leave your 'vision' or whatever at the door, and scrap last-shot kills in Warzone. It's been panned by pretty much every community I've seen discuss the mode. It's terrible, frustrating, actively disincentives team coordination, and - given the impact that 150VP bosses have on the outcome - makes Warzone a roulette wheel instead of a skill-based enterprise. Considering the mode is already significantly impacted by the cards that players have at their disposal (which is obviously random), I'd say limiting other random factors is a necessity.

If you don't want damage dealt to be the deciding factor, then use DPS and change the color of that yellow icon that denotes their position on the map to the color of whichever team is dealing the higher DPS at that moment. Whichever team is dealing the higher DPS at the time of the final shot, earns the kill.

That way, if I'm on the red team and I see that the boss is at half-health and his icon is blue, I know I need to get my ass over their and maybe burn a req card to try and even the odds. Or maybe I need to decide whether to deal damage to the boss, or try and take out the guys dealing the damage.

But at least I fucking know who is going to get credit for that kill instead of spamming shots at the boss and crossing my goddamn fingers.
People are assholes, there's not much a developer can do.

I've even had people quit out of unranked Dota. There's literally no reason to, yet they still do.

Just play another game. You clearly don't enjoy your time with this one

I don't think having separate health bars is a good solution to the boss stealing problem. I think it's an interesting mechanic when done right (see MOBAs) that should be possible to pull off, it should just be much harder to do so than it is right now, or the reward should be much smaller. Possibly giving separate points for most damage dealt and the final blow could work, but the balance should be something like 2/3 for most damage dealt and 1/3 for the final blow. Alternatively tune the bosses to make sniper rifles/scorpions/anything else that allows for easy final hit stealing MUCH less effective against only the bosses -- I'm not sure how realistic that is, but if they want to keep the current system they need to make it feasible for a coordinated team to shut down stealing attempts. I've sometimes ended up blocking sightlines with a Wraith which is kind of fun when it works but way too complicated/reliant on having the correct REQ cards/only works for certain bosses. Again, MOBAs have this covered -- stealing baron with an Ezreal ulti is one of the most satisfying things you can pull off in a multiplayer game but it happens once in a thousand games, not several times per game like in Warzone at the moment.

Evo X

Unstable, SpeedyBlueDude, and a bunch of my friends all used turrets for a Big Team Slayer on Recurve. Captured this shot at the end. lol

mu3HQaw.jpg

A lot of people just try and get kills on strongholds and CTF and don't care about the objectives. There should probably be seperate playlists for those game types so people who actually want to play them, will play them.

A lot of people just try and get kills on strongholds and CTF and don't care about the objectives. There should probably be seperate playlists for those game types so people who actually want to play them, will play them.
I generally play defense and pursue our flag and get a bunch of kills doing that. Satisfies my need to kill things.

i feel like this is hard to prove. sometimes thats needed. someone good on offense constantly keeping pressure or defense focusing on denial.

I generally play defense and pursue our flag and get a bunch of kills doing that. Satisfies my need to kill things.

i feel like this is hard to prove. sometimes thats needed. someone good on offense constantly keeping pressure or defense focusing on denial.

I've got no problem with people racking up kills defending or attacking but I see a lot of people standing in cover with a power weapon and not really helping the team as such.

I've got no problem with people racking up kills defending or attacking but I see a lot of people standing in cover with a power weapon and not really helping the team as such.

your team with a power weapon still means their team doesnt have one.

big team is so hard to coordinate i feel like the team that wins is the team that sees what their teammates are doing and gets in position to support that. its tough, not a real one size fits all strategy.

i feel like breakout is similar. most of the time the other team is going to create a habit within the first two rounds. always going left or right, always going for a power weapon, etc. if they keep doing that ive won matches down by 4 by just seeing their habits and my teams and getting in a spot to counter

link1201

I kinda wish Warzone was ranked. I know it's not a super competitive gametype but I feel this ranking system helps match players better than any previous game.

Blueblur1

I kinda wish Warzone was ranked. I know it's not a super competitive gametype but I feel this ranking system helps match players better than any previous game.

It would probably be similar to the BTB experience which isn't great. You get matched up with lots of lower tier players who suck and/or quit the match.

played a lot with a buddy this weekend, really went in on just about every gametype.

game is just pure fun when youre sitting back playing it not trying to nitpick everything. theres some stuff i REALLY wish was here but at least at its core halo 5 is just fun

There is one thing I really miss, armor effects! I know a lot of people are glad they are gone, but I miss Grunt Birthday Party and Heart Attack. I never got tired of hearing YAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Has any game tried a carrot instead of a stick with a sportsmanship incentive, like x amount of consecutive matches completed leading to a guaranteed bonus?

I like this idea. Get a special REQ pack every time you complete 5 Arena games in a row without leaving. Have a very clear counter somewhere on the matchmaking UI to make everyone aware of it. Heck, even make the REQ packs guaranteed to drop a common-uncommon cosmetic item (with 1000 RP if you already have them all).

And make quitters wait at least until the match they quit from finishes until they can start searching for a new one.

I like this idea. Get a special REQ pack every time you complete 5 Arena games in a row without leaving. Have a very clear counter somewhere on the matchmaking UI to make everyone aware of it. Heck, even make them guaranteed to drop a common-uncommon cosmetic item (with 1000 RP if you already have them all).

And make quitters wait at least until the match they quit from finishes until they can start searching for a new one.

just daily/weekly/monthly missions would be great.

some req points for completing daily/weekly and monthly pack with a cosmetic reward and a guaranteed unlock. boom.

link1201

It would probably be similar to the BTB experience which isn't great. You get matched up with lots of lower tier players who suck and/or quit the match.
I just got my rank for btb so I haven't experienced the ranking there much. I can see how larger numbers would be harder to match than smaller numbers though.

RobNBanks

Banned
Has any game tried a carrot instead of a stick with a sportsmanship incentive, like x amount of consecutive matches completed leading to a guaranteed bonus?

I think there has but I can't remember.

Even then I'm not sure how much success it would have. Some people just love to annoy others and have nothing else to live for.

link1201

I got a much better haul this week. Ghost ultra cert. Plus this rocket launcher cert:
Ad Victoriam

There's nowhere to hide. Improved Rocket Launcher that fires two additional missiles in a "V" pattern with each shot. All three missiles can be laser-guided when using Smart-Link and feature an airburst proximity fuse.

jet1911

Got a Scorpion cert in one and the Active camo cert in the other pack. :/

Uncommon items shouldn't be in these special packs.

Herbs

Banned
Got a Scorpion cert in one and the Active camo cert in the other pack. :/

Uncommon items shouldn't be in these special packs.

yup. kind of bullshit. but then people would complain about paying for better stuff which would cause an imbalance (lol) in the game.

I think there has but I can't remember.

Even then I'm not sure how much success it would have. Some people just love to annoy others and have nothing else to live for.

Nothing can be done for those people. Having a sub sandwich punch card could sway a lot of players away from quitting out if they knew they were being rewarded for resisting the urge. It would be more effective than hiding or deemphasizing stats would be. It could be a lot like those pizza arcades with redemption tickets, except that the prizes don't suck and the goal is reasonably achieveable.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just think of the glory when you finish the game like that, like super LASO not only will you have to start the level over if you die you have to relaunch the game.

it sure changes the intensity of the revive system. "come on vale, save me PLEASE!!!111"

jet1911

yup. kind of bullshit. but then people would complain about paying for better stuff which would cause an imbalance (lol) in the game.

Yeah. It's dumb to penalize people who use points to open these packs just because some will use real money. When I spend 10 000 points on a gold pack I expect better stuff than just green cards. :(

BraXzy

Req packs can't expire right? I'm gonna save my premiums till I've got the majority of uncommon/rares. I've already gotten all commons.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
still no pre-order stuff or the armour for playing before 7th november...

it honestly starts to make me kind of angry >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom