• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I must have been donging on bronze/silver players because after winning 9 of 10 placement games in team arena and doing quite well on a personal level the game placed me in gold 2. Okay...

So I switch over to slayer and immediately start getting 3v4 and 4v4 matches against full teams largely platinum to my gold level. Seems reasonable lol. Nothing beats a 3v4 on overgrowth nothing I tell ya. Whose idea was it to put the sword and invisibility in a narrow corridor map? Funnnnnn!

I must have been donging on bronze/silver players because after winning 9 of 10 placement games in team arena and doing quite well on a personal level the game placed me in gold 2. Okay...

So I switch over to slayer and immediately start getting 3v4 and 4v4 matches against full teams largely platinum to my gold level. Seems reasonable lol. Nothing beats a 3v4 on overgrowth nothing I tell ya. Whose idea was it to put the sword and invisibility in a narrow corridor map? Funnnnnn!

Yeah Overgrowth is meh. Replace the camo with os and also replace the sword with a plasma caster. I think pc would be really cool on the map because there are a lot of corners and confined spaces, so it would work really well on the map.

Something I've been thinking about lately. Req sales seem to be a success, and I really like the continued support and monthly content so far because of it. Of course I think the req system needs to be tweaked a bit, but most of us have already talked about it in length.

Would you be okay with the multiplayer portion of Halo 5 going free for people with XBL Gold? It would increase users, possibly expose new people to Halo, and generate more micro bucks.

I would be all for it, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Little late, but this needs to happen. H5 has been 12th on XBL the last 2 days and it will only get slowly worse. This will bring in huge amounts of $$, repopulate the online which will fix many problems, and funnel money into even more content/HCS prize pools. Not to mention get everyone familiar with H5 so they will be ready to throw $60 at Halo 6 which will actually be content complete (im hoping). Im guessing an announcement at E3. Sales dry up completely 6 months after launch unless your CoD/GTA/PC game.

Doing my placement matches in FFA. Doing alright I'd say.

3PJIaiS.jpg

Then I get a hate message. Weird. I didn't even win the match...

iyz5Dq0.png

Hmm... Wonder why he's so mad? Lemme look my HTR stats for the match real quick...

mPNXR2X.png

Oh right :) Stay mad, guys.

bgN92Gw.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have got to get the fuck out of plat. I don't know the matchmaking algorithm, but my plat teammates are TRASH 90% of the time. Who doesn't understand that you want to go for and control rockets on Eden? Who ignores overshield on regret? My plat teammates every fucking game.

Hop on gaffers before I hurt myself

Karl2177

We are, but I feel those commendation numbers are ridiculous TBH. I could play all night and maybe manage one assassination and one SC even if I'm actively trying to get them, lol.

So what? No one here is playing for millions, just do them.

receipts.gif

Sometimes it won't do it because of the area you're located in, it's weird.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TJ Ram/video/14639676

But I wouldn't have assassinated there either, tbh. Just giving you a bit of crap. :)
WTF is up with Reach? Could barely make it through a Campaign mission. The game runs in slow motion.

Is it the back compat version? It has framerate issues for some reason. I was getting maybe 20-ish when I tried playing Firefight a while back.

yea i was going to do a rerun last night but had to quit halfthrough through winter contingency. felt like i was in bullet time.

firefight still isn't a consistent 30 but it wasn't that bad.

WTF is up with Reach? Could barely make it through a Campaign mission. The game runs in slow motion.

You should basically consider Reach to not be on the backwards compatibility list. It clearly still has issues even after the update.

The game always had drops but on XB1 it can really crash hard in the right areas. It can be downright unplayable at times. Really the only way to play remains on 360 which is a damn shame.

Madness

You should basically consider Reach to not be on the backwards compatibility list. It clearly still has issues even after the update.

The game always had drops but on XB1 it can really crash hard in the right areas. It can be downright unplayable at times. Really the only way to play remains on 360 which is a damn shame.

If only MCC wasn't a letdown, they could have made a killing selling a 1080p/60fps version of the campaign for $9.99 as DLC. Maybe we'll see it remastered one day. My only issue would be, I wouldn't want to see it with changed visuals. Only better resolution, better frames, maybe remove the grain filter. Otherwise the colors, sounds, all should remain the same.

I obviously don't have a dev background in games, but I never understand how games can play so poorly with only a jump from 360->X1. I get for other consoles where games are ported from completely different hardware, but it's crazy that a system that is supposed to be an improvement in all aspects can suffer from a 5+ year old game.

and Overgrowth.

What is with these guys and the make no sense corridor maps? They have not flow. Arena needs more outdoor open maps.

I think I like Overgrowth more now. I still don't LIKE it, but at least Strongholds on it makes somewhat sense although too hectic. Nothing plays good on Riptide, it's pure nonsense. Not sure how it got past testing stages.

Damn, matching against Champs and 2K MMR in your placements? What did you end up at last season?

Some kind of Onyx. Don't really play FFA other than placement matches because the mode is really dumb in H5. Kind of the reason I posted what I did. I just ran around half of the map with a FRC the whole game and baited the new FRC spawns as they came.

Last season I only did my placement matches I believe. FFA needs it's own gametypes and map layouts big time. It's all just storm rifles, fuel rods and railguns pretty much.

Madness

I obviously don't have a dev background in games, but I never understand how games can play so poorly with only a jump from 360->X1. I get for other consoles where games are ported from completely different hardware, but it's crazy that a system that is supposed to be an improvement in all aspects can suffer from a 5+ year old game.

Isn't it because the Xbox 360 CPU is a 3.2ghz triple core, and the Xbox One CPU is only a 1.75ghz 8 core but mobile level CPU? That's what I've heard that games utilizing the CPU really cause the next gen consoles to struggle.

Even something like Gears of War Ultimate had to cut out effects like heavy rainfall, blowing sand, atmospheric lighting and fires. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Isn't it because the Xbox 360 CPU is a 3.2ghz triple core, and the Xbox One CPU is only a 1.75ghz 8 core but mobile level CPU? That's what I've heard that games utilizing the CPU really cause the next gen consoles to struggle.

Even something like Gears of War Ultimate had to cut out effects like heavy rainfall, blowing sand, atmospheric lighting and fires. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Different hardware architecture too. 360 is a powerpc processor.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
You and some buds gonna join the league after hcs? Seems like you have the skills to do so facing against champions ranked 11.

lol no. I don't place much emphasis in this game's rankings to determine skill. I don't feel like it is a good indicator. I might be wrong, or right, but yea.

I think in the pre season, I played with my friend and he got all the way to champion 29 in arena. We played against a lot of people that were in the sub 30s and won. I felt like I sucked then.

Yikes I had a game on riptide and almost all of my deaths were from power weapons... hydra hydra beam rifle fuel rod cannon beam rifle hydra fuel rod cannon beam rifle fuel rod cannon...

op_ivy

Yikes I had a game on riptide and almost all of my deaths were from power weapons... hydra hydra beam rifle fuel rod cannon beam rifle hydra fuel rod cannon beam rifle fuel rod cannon...
You... Got killed by a hydra on riptide?

I thought that weapon would be next to useless what with all the angles and cover. Where you in the open? Perhaps caught in one of the many long narrow hallways?

I thought that weapon would be next to useless what with all the angles and cover. Where you in the open? Perhaps caught in one of the many long narrow hallways?

Hydra is pretty good if used right. If you point it straight up before you shoot, the missiles will come down at angle and you can hit people behind cover. It actually works really well because people think they can hide, but you can't.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

If he is getting destroyed by power weapons, the problem was that his team did not control top middle and green room on riptide.

op_ivy

Hydra is pretty good if used right. If you point it straight up before you shoot, the missiles will come down at angle and you can hit people behind cover. It actually works really well because people think they can hide, but you can't.
I understand the hydra and it is useful under certain conditions, just didn't think it could be on the mostly claustrophobic riptide.

I understand the hydra and it is useful under certain conditions, just didn't think it could be on the mostly claustrophobic riptide.

Top middle is pretty opened with a lot of room to take advantage of it. I agree on other parts of the map it's not as useful.

Hey all,

I primarily lurk rather than post here (have been since H3 heh), but I'm writing this post in an attempt to help out a buddy of mine. One of my friends just picked up an Xbox One and he bought the digital edition of Halo 5 so we could play together. Well, he can't get the game to start at all and says that it won't make it past the initial start up/splash screens, and that it crashes his Xbox. He says that he's deleted and reinstalled the game a few times, contacted support, and I think he's even tried to restore the console to factory default, but I'm not entirely sure if he's done that just yet. He's been pretty frustrated that his brand new Xbox can't play the one game that he bought the thing for.

Any advice as to what he should do would be super appreciated!

op_ivy

Hey all,

I primarily lurk rather than post here (have been since H3 heh), but I'm writing this post in an attempt to help out a buddy of mine. One of my friends just picked up an Xbox One and he bought the digital edition of Halo 5 so we could play together. Well, he can't get the game to start at all and says that it won't make it past the initial start up/splash screens, and that it crashes his Xbox. He says that he's deleted and reinstalled the game a few times, contacted support, and I think he's even tried to restore the console to factory default, but I'm not entirely sure if he's done that just yet. He's been pretty frustrated that his brand new Xbox can't play the one game that he bought the thing for.

Any advice as to what he should do would be super appreciated!

Hard reset?

Hard reset?

The 10 second power cycle? I suggested that to him, and I'm pretty sure he's tried it. It's tough speaking on his behalf because I'm not 100% certain as to all the things he's attempted to do. He said that he made it to the title screen one time, but it crashed shortly after it booted up.

The 10 second power cycle? I suggested that to him, and I'm pretty sure he's tried it. It's tough speaking on his behalf because I'm not 100% certain as to all the things he's attempted to do. He said that he made it to the title screen one time, but it crashed shortly after it booted up.

Did it finish installing? Not to sound mean but sometimes these games mislead us and say theyre ready when they arent...

Did it finish installing? Not to sound mean but sometimes these games mislead us and say theyre ready when they arent...

Yeah I don't know. I'd assume so? He's a pretty intelligent guy and he said that he deleted and re-installed the game three times and kept having the same issues. I wanted to just tell him to try and get a refund from Microsoft and then buy a disc copy. If that didn't work then he would definitely know it was an issue with his box.

Yeah I don't know. I'd assume so? He's a pretty intelligent guy and he said that he deleted and re-installed the game three times and kept having the same issues. I wanted to just tell him to try and get a refund from Microsoft and then buy a disc copy. If that didn't work then he would definitely know it was an issue with his box.

Has he tried other games? I think you have the right idea that the xbox might be borked =/.

op_ivy

Uhhhhh, I'm in an infinite (?) loop of req pack opening. Just processing with the tinkly sound fx and animating pack. Forever. Has this happened to anyone else? Will a reboot lose that pack or RP?

Top Bottom