• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Haruko

Oh, and the other great thing about the last vid is we were forced to start Scout Warthog defense protocol with 4:14 left

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
30 points from a Warzone win and i got disconnected. Was having a good match too. Get your shit together 343

Edit: Make that two disconnects and for once it isnt my connection.

I solod my way up to Diamond 6 in slayer and now I'm too afraid to play and lose it. I'm SO close I can taste the onyx

2GOeBst.gif

Is there a reward or achievement for reaching onyx?

Can't believe there is no reward for soloing the campaign on legendary difficulty, I was expecting a legendary badge or something.

Honestly that whole scout warthog thing on summit needs to be looked at and fixed because it is at this point a cheap way to win. I've seen it a couple times and it always ends on the defenders advantages. While it's an actual use for the scout warthog because what good is it for other than custom games stuff. Should just put in the troop warthog at some point.

im_dany

Is there a reward or achievement for reaching onyx?

Can't believe there is no reward for soloing the campaign on legendary difficulty, I was expecting a legendary badge or something.

There's a 100G achievement and that's it.
There's an armor if you complete MCC solo at legendary though, right?

Hoping they relaxed restrictions on Social CTF. The holiday social feedback thread on waypoint was 9/10 posts saying "take it out/significantly reduce it". I want to play with viewers and not match hidden champions/high Onyx's. I think it's out today when they take v-day out.

Trup1aya

Honestly that whole scout warthog thing on summit needs to be looked at and fixed because it is at this point a cheap way to win. I've seen it a couple times and it always ends on the defenders advantages. While it's an actual use for the scout warthog because what good is it for other than custom games stuff. Should just put in the troop warthog at some point.

They just need to have defender vehicles spawn back at the armory...

The fortress should only be to spawn attackers vehicles after they've capped it.

Hoping they relaxed restrictions on Social CTF. The holiday social feedback thread on waypoint was 9/10 posts saying "take it out/significantly reduce it". I want to play with viewers and not match hidden champions/high Onyx's. I think it's out today when they take v-day out.

Today? Hmmm, I doubt that..
The worst part is that Bravo said on Friday's update that the MP wastes a lot of time into weekend playlists, and most of of them were just udpated rulesets. I know they playtest everything, but sometimesz it seems they take a lot of time doing things that should be quick.

Trup1aya

Some how won this crazy match

jgdKr63.jpg

Platinum guy quit early... Might have done is a favor. Still, looking at the rankings, you'd think we were done for...

I clutched the last two killsafter we they tied it up 48-48, the 49-49. My heart is still racing

This game is so damn good.

Also, I really don't understand the hate for riptide. I think it's awesome.

Everyone complains about fuel rod and hallways, but hydra is God.

Also, I really don't understand the hate for riptide. I think it's awesome.

Everyone complains about fuel rod and hallways, but hydra is God.
I think it was overall understanding how to run the map that was a tad bit infuriating, overall it's a pretty good map with some nice colors on it.
And yeah the hydra is a force to be reckoned with when you can get the lock on just maybe not the best in team fights where by the time it takes to lock and kill will probably result in your team mate dying and you end up looking really dumb if you can't get the lock but all and all the hydra is a strong weapon in the right hands.

Trup1aya

I think it was overall understanding how to run the map that was a tad bit infuriating, overall it's a pretty good map with some nice colors on it.
And yeah the hydra is a force to be reckoned with when you can get the lock on just maybe not the best in team fights where by the time it takes to lock and kill will probably result in your team mate dying and you end up looking really dumb if you can't get the lock but all and all the hydra is a strong weapon in the right hands.

About the map, people never really tried to learn the flow. They just immediately complained... This is generally what happens with asymmetrical maps it seems.

The hydra, like any other weapon (especially tier 2's) is best used situationally. If you are running around with it as your primary, it isn't going to do you very good. But there are specific locations and situations on this map where it shines. And the laser light on it is good for suppressing opponents while your team flanks.

Fuchsdh

About the map, people never really tried to learn the flow. They just immediately complained... This is generally what happens with asymmetrical maps it seems.

The hydra, like any other weapon (especially tier 2's) is best used situationally. If you are running around with it as your primary, it isn't going to do you very good. But there are specific locations and situations on this map where it shines. And the laser light on it is good for suppressing opponents while your team flanks.

To be fair, while it might not have any impact on how good it is objectively, I feel like Riptide was hard to figure out on my first couple of playthroughs (same with Overgrowth to a lesser degree)... if you feel confused about where things lead it's going to dampen your enjoyment of it and that's a lingering issue.

Having power weapon callouts almost makes it worse, because it gives the sense of "ooh, the rocket launcher, I'll run towards it and... well I can't go that way, I guess I have to... go around?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah riptide has grown on me. Still think the long hallways are goofy, but at least there are alternate ways to/off them such as the fan and sideways man canon

Trup1aya

To be fair, while it might not have any impact on how good it is objectively, I feel like Riptide was hard to figure out on my first couple of playthroughs (same with Overgrowth to a lesser degree)... if you feel confused about where things lead it's going to dampen your enjoyment of it and that's a lingering issue.

Having power weapon callouts almost makes it worse, because it gives the sense of "ooh, the rocket launcher, I'll run towards it and... well I can't go that way, I guess I have to... go around?

Well yeah, I think it is true that asymmetric maps are hard to to learn, especially if you are trying to learn it on the fly in matchmaking.

I still lose my bearings on overgrowth slayer. With riptide, they've done a much better job making each area visually distinct.

But I think there is a difference between "this map doesn't flow" and "I haven't figured this mal out yet". I think a lot of people ran with the former without giving it a fair shot...

Shylock

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask, but how exactly does the "Switch to Party Chat/Switch to Game Chat" on the score page work? Do you still hear your party members if you are in Game Chat mode?

I ask because I keep running into people in warzone who seem to have one-sided conversations with other people in their party about how good they are (or how bad the team is), but I can't hear the person they are talking to. I'm not sure if it's some oddball party chat glitch or just really good uni-directional microphones.

Haruko

I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask, but how exactly does the "Switch to Party Chat/Switch to Game Chat" on the score page work? Do you still hear your party members if you are in Game Chat mode?

I ask because I keep running into people in warzone who seem to have one-sided conversations with other people in their party about how good they are (or how bad the team is), but I can't hear the person they are talking to. I'm not sure if it's some oddball party chat glitch or just really good uni-directional microphones.

The people they are talking to may have their privacy settings to allow voice chat with Friends only, while the person you hear has it allowed for Everyone.

If you are in Game Chat mode you will not hear Party members who are not also in the same game + Game Chat mode.

Shylock

The people they are talking to may have their privacy settings to allow voice chat with Friends only, while the person you here has it allowed for Everyone.

If you are in Game Chat mode you will not hear Party members who are not also in the same game + Game Chat mode.

Awesome, thank you for the information. Now I can at least mute or ignore them without worrying that it was something in my setup.

jem0208

I straight up can't find a game in the Slayer playlist at the moment.

That kinda sucks.

Edit: I finally got one after about 5 minutes of searching.

Team slayer

Preseason placed plat 1
Season 1 placed plat 5
Season 2 currently at diamond 1

But i only played about 3-5 games since i got my diamond 1. Maybe ill try to see how high i can get next season. If i place in diamond 1 from the beginning of course.

Im pretty happy with the placement considering how much time i play it.

Team slayer

Preseason placed plat 1
Season 1 placed plat 5
Season 2 currently at diamond 1

But i only played about 3-5 games since i got my diamond 1. Maybe ill try to see how high i can get next season. If i place in diamond 1 from the beginning of course.

Im pretty happy with the placement considering how much time i play it.

I'll be happy af if I'm ever lucky/good enough to be in Diamond.

So does anyone manage to play free for all without wanting to pull their hair out? Cause I know I can't, even with the fact I always place 1st or 2nd in every game its just too much frustration to not want to quit. probably why I always need to play with a team but to the people who can play free for all, I give you credit because idk how you can do it.

Also dying for this update to already come out I need these other game types already, and so they can sooner put in oddball and ricochet in actual matchmaking. While I understand the popularity of assault it's really surprising they put that above oddball, guess its just preference but I always felt oddball be the better game type in arena while assault being better for btb. Also how odd they are also putting fiesta as a focus because as much fun as fiesta is I don't think it's all that crucial. Just as long as they put in crazy king, oddball, regicide and ricochet I will be perfectly fine with the amount of game types. but I do see some needed changes in the spartan abilities in king of the hill to make it work for five. If they get rid of ground pound then I think that will solve most problems I could see with the game type.

clav

Hydra is such a weird Halo weapon since it doesn't really follow the weapon characteristic of aiming while shooting. It auto-locks and makes players mash the fire button 6 times for auto reloading.

I still don't like Riptide because of the weird jumps in the middle. It's like making a Lockout map except all the jumps are trying to get to the sniper spawn shortcut.

Trup1aya

Hydra is such a weird Halo weapon since it doesn't really follow the weapon characteristic of aiming while shooting. It auto-locks and makes players mash the fire button 6 times for auto reloading.

I still don't like Riptide because of the weird jumps in the middle. It's like making a Lockout map except all the jumps are trying to get to the sniper spawn shortcut.

I'm not sure what you mean by the auto-locking thing... hydra isn't the first halo weapon to function this way. Probably the most balanced though.

I think I'm misunderstanding your comment on how it reloads... I just tap the reload button and it starts reloading.

I also don't see what's wierd about the jumps... Are you talking about nest to top mid? It does have a lip that complicates things, but it allows skilled players to crouch jump, while the lesser skilled will end up dashing and clambering. Skill gap stuff... I'm good with it.

there are a ton of skill jumps that make the map more dynamic than it gets credit for... If anyone feels confined to corridors, they are doing it wrong.

Top Bottom