• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

G-DannY

Okay so, he was ranked diamond in preseason, which i did too because i did it like, launch day. smaller pool of players

ah ok

me, preseason, same period

EE9ILtv.png

yes, definetly kinda makes sense

then you can ask why I do not play Arena ranked anymore... and going to be bored of Warzone against full teams already

Trup1aya

oh, even better, DIAMOND! he played himself that time...

xB59cKB.png

GOOD RANKING SYSTEM

It actually sounds like the system is working as intended...

No one wants people to be able to intentionally throw their placements so that they can't take advantage of lesser killed players.

They take previous season into account to provide a buffer against abuse.

He got plat because a true drop from diamond to gold is statistically unlikely. Placing him in platinum should keep the matches he's involved in fairly competitive.

Like any matchmaking system. the accuracy is dependent on the amount of data there is to work with. Preseason is understandably more prone to deviation than season 2.

G-DannY

from TBeyond:

xSociety, on 18 Feb 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:
So apparently Whiskey squad got what is basically a cease and desist letter about spawn killing from 343. Threatened ban if caught doing it again.

G-DannY

It actually sounds like the system is working as intended...

No one wants people to be able to intentionally throw their placements so that they can't take advantage of lesser killed players.

They take previous season into account to provide a buffer against abuse.

He got plat because a true drop from diamond to gold is statistically unlikely. Placing him in platinum should keep the matches he's involved in fairly competitive.

Like any matchmaking system. the accuracy is dependent on the amount of data there is to work with. Preseason is understandably more prone to deviation than season 2.

explain my preseason ranking then.

I'm not a top player, just average or slightly below. But I'm far better than my friend.

(what I'm saying is that MY ranking seems really good working, some OTHERS not...)

Magwik

Banned
It's weird seeming SFV getting absolutely thrashed over the free content updates when Halo 5 has been doing the exact same thing. Both are light on content, both are missing plenty of features from the previous installment, and yet one is fine and the other isn't. It's weird.

Ramirez

Lol 343 getting salty? It's not even cheating or breaking the game.

It's a miserable experience to be on the receiving end of, and I doubt 343 wants the average player having to worry about it. Seems like it would have to be something really bad for them to do that.

Might not even be true.

E92 M3

It's a miserable experience to be on the receiving end of, and I doubt 343 wants the average player having to worry about it. Seems like it would have to be something really bad for them to do that.

Might not even be true.

Yeah, it is a miserable experience, but it would be the same thing as 343 banning for teabagging. Harvesting kills is playing within the rules of the game. The onus falls on the game designers, not players.

And yes, very hard to believe it would be true.

G-DannY

Might not even be true.

Also population drain from warzone will likely mean less revenue from REQs pack bought.

So I can imagine that it could be true. Money moves everything.

It's weird seeming SFV getting absolutely thrashed over the free content updates when Halo 5 has been doing the exact same thing. Both are light on content, both are missing plenty of features from the previous installment, and yet one is fine and the other isn't. It's weird.

dude you said this in the SFV thread.

Halo 5 has a TON more content at launch compared to SFV.

Like a campaign. and working multiplayer. to just name 2.

What a strange comparison to make.

Yeah, they're completely different circumstances.

Ramirez

Yeah, it is a miserable experience, but it would be the same thing as 343 banning for teabagging. Harvesting kills is playing within the rules of the game. The onus falls on the game designers, not players.

And yes, very hard to believe it would be true.

Maybe they know how to manipulate the spawns that breaks the game, I dunno. I know that zebra guy mentioned they got 200 kills or something in one WZA game. I don't think 343 would message a SC over simply nothing.

Magwik

Banned
What a strange comparison to make.
Yeah, they're completely different circumstances.
I'm mainly talking about the promised content updates though, because they follow a similar philosophy and roadmap. For Halo it's a positive thing the most basic stuff is being added months after launch, yet it's a negative for Street Fighter. I'm just saying its weird.

Trup1aya

explain my preseason ranking then.

I'm not a top player, just average or slightly below. But I'm far better than my friend.

(what I'm saying is that MY ranking seems really good working, some OTHERS not...)

During the preseason, they the system was working with no skill data at all.. It makes sense to me that rankings would be subject to statistical deviation back then.

Now there is much more data available, and the skill curve should be normalizing. I think there will be the occasional bad game, and maybe even the occasional bad ranking, but i think those situations will be outliers.

Ofcourse the system will be more accurate in areas where there are more players, because their is more data. It will also work better for people who play more games, again, because their is more data and their performance is likely to be more consistent.

When you look at the Halo5 CSR distribution charts, it's almost a perfect bell curve.

I'm mainly talking about the promised content updates though, because they follow a similar philosophy and roadmap. For Halo it's a positive thing the most basic stuff is being added months after launch, yet it's a negative for Street Fighter. I'm just saying its weird.

Halo white knights man. Some will defend a game they love regardless of the negatives and obvious issues. Sad but true.

They have the same plan/roadmap, but the content that was originally shipped on release is astronomically different.

The only way the situation would be comparable was if halo only shipped with 1 campaign mission on Easy, custom games, and online.

Trup1aya

I think Halo took and is still taking plenty of flak for releasing in an incomplete state.

Monthly updates are not a bad thing, inherently.They are a great thing actually. But when these updates are used to distribute content that should have been in at launch, it draws ire. SF may be drawing more ire because the Mp doesn't even work right online , and it's primarily an MP game.

Halo white knights man. Some will defend a game they love regardless of the negatives and obvious issues. Sad but true.

What? I'm more critical of this game than most in this thread, but what he said about the launch of Halo 5 being similar to Street Fighter V is pretty off-base.

i think youve seen the mad smack ive talked on some of the missing features of halo 5 and whats there and whats not there.

h5 still launched with an insane amount of varied content compared to sf5. it launched with KI season 1 levels of content with broken online, and KI was F2P. and worked online day 1.

I feel like you missed the point just a bit

i really really wish SF5 launched with KI's model.

i think it would of eliminated just about all the hate its getting.

its not the amount of content it launched with, its the amount people paid and expected to get for that money. Ki let people, like casual fighting fans, dip their toes in. Someone who doesnt care about the competitive aspect of SF5 just got a game with nothing for them.

Who in this thread is white knighting?

What? I'm more critical of this game than most in this thread, but what he said about the launch of Halo 5 being similar to Street Fighter V is pretty off-base.

i think youve seen the mad smack ive talked on some of the missing features of halo 5 and whats there and whats not there.

h5 still launched with an insane amount of varied content compared to sf5. it launched with KI season 1 levels of content with broken online, and KI was F2P. and worked online day 1.

Not sure if troll?

Wasnt being specific... just meant that there are a lot of people out there (not necessarily in this forum) that have defended Halo 5's launch lack of standard launch Halo modes/map #s etc. without reason.

I feel like you missed the point just a bit

SFV launched with crap options, modes, etc. generally lacking content. It doesn't compare 1:1 to Halo 5's launch but it contrasts popular opinion as it's being "torn up" by the media and public whereas Halo 5 was/is not. IDK... maybe I did miss the point? lol i'm slow and need more coffee.

jem0208

I feel like this game both had some of the best and worst matchmaking I've seen in Halo.

The team matching is fantastic, I've had more close games in 5 than I have had in any of the other Halos combined.

That said I regularly have to carry my team or I can be a bit of an anchor.

So I quite regularly get matched with shit or amazing players but the game still ends up being really close. It's odd.

SFV launched with crap options, modes, etc. generally lacking content. It doesn't compare 1:1 to Halo 5's launch but it contrasts popular opinion as it's being "torn up" by the media and public whereas Halo 5 was/is not. IDK... maybe I did miss the point? lol i'm slow and need more coffee.

Halo 5 only lacks content when compared to the previous entries in the series whereas SFV just lacks content, period. That's a pretty important difference.

Trup1aya

Where are these white knights you speak of? Just about everyone who remains in this thread has shit on this game aplenty...

Both titles lacked content at launch. Both titles have gotten shit for it. From fans, from haters, from reviewers, from all over. You can go into a halo forum anywhere without seeing people bitch about the content, even after several updates.

The difference is, Halo 5 has a serviceable single player campaign and a well functioning multiplayer component. If you can't see the difference in the value proposition of these two games, then this convo is lost on you.

Fuchsdh

Maybe they know how to manipulate the spawns that breaks the game, I dunno. I know that zebra guy mentioned they got 200 kills or something in one WZA game. I don't think 343 would message a SC over simply nothing.

Does someone have a link to any discussion on TB or elsewhere on the topic? Because without more context and examples of games where they are spawn killing it's hard to say much about it.

Warzone has plenty of safe "area" to spawn in but if you're adjusting the game for the literal 1% or less of players (because as we've established Whiskey and basically four other SCs are the ones going into this grind) it comes with downsides for other players and normal matchmaking. As it is I feel like Warzone usually prioritizes safety too much, to the point where it's often a hike to get to the action on a map. Increase the buffer and you're making it far too difficult to defend objectives or move around the map effectively.

Trup1aya

Fuck! I wanna play the division beta, and PVZ:gw2, and RoTTR, but I don't wanna spend free time not grinding silver packs or SC commendations

Leyasu

Banned
Fuck! I wanna play the division beta, and PVZ:gw2, and RoTTR, but I don't wanna spend free time not grinding silver packs or SC commendations

I'm getting queries as to whether or not I am going to play the division and shelve halo for a while. But the thought of no daily halo makes me shiver and sweat..

Where are these white knights you speak of? Just about everyone who remains in this thread has shit on this game aplenty...

Both titles lacked content at launch. Both titles have gotten shit for it. From fans, from haters, from reviewers, from all over. You can go into a halo forum anywhere without seeing people bitch about the content, even after several updates.

The difference is, Halo 5 has a serviceable single player campaign and a well functioning multiplayer component. If you can't see the difference in the value proposition of these two games, then this convo is lost on you.

You should probably read some of my posts above.

Ocho

Different communities? Halo also trashed.

Nutter

SF launched with about the same content / modes as KI. And KI launched at 20 bucks. How in the world is SF in the same situation as Halo?

If Halo ever launches without a campaign and same exact amount of maps and modes as 5 and they charge 60. Be my guest in calling it the same situation.

Trup1aya

Does someone have a link to any discussion on TB or elsewhere on the topic? Because without more context and examples of games where they are spawn killing it's hard to say much about it.

Warzone has plenty of safe "area" to spawn in but if you're adjusting the game for the literal 1% or less of players (because as we've established Whiskey and basically four other SCs are the ones going into this grind) it comes with downsides for other players and normal matchmaking. As it is I feel like Warzone usually prioritizes safety too much, to the point where it's often a hike to get to the action on a map. Increase the buffer and you're making it far too difficult to defend objectives or move around the map effectively.

If you cap all bases in Warzone , the all members of the opposing team spawn in their home base. There are only 2 or 3 ways out.

The attacking team is SUPPOSED to try to end the match by destroying the core. But instead they corner you in your base and spend the rest of the match racking up kills...

I think it's a mistake on 343i's part to threaten the behavior, when the behavior is a result of how they designed the game and it's rewards.

They need to find another way for players who are stuck to break out of the spawn trap that doesn't involve capturing one of the bases that they have no way of getting to.

I suggest that they either 1) dramatically increase the req level speed for teams who are defending the base. This would give the trapped team a chance to fight back OR 2) spawn nuetral parties who will reclaim bases if the controlling team isn't actively defending them. This will limit how much time the core will be open to attack, and allow the controlled team to spawn outside of the base.

Either of these solutions would forced the controlling team to quickly pursue the core. And would make the game more fun in general.

Trup1aya

You should probably read some of my posts above.

I did read them. I just don't see many instances of people being supportive of halo 5's lack of content. I frequent Reddit, team beyond, waypoint, and Neogaf and the general consensus is that Halo5's launch content was lacking. Reviews also hit H5 for its lack of content.

That said, SFV's launch state is much worse than Halo5's and the weight of the critism reflects that. So the comparison seems completely out of place.

You spoke in support of this comment

The notion that it is viewed as positive that Halo still receiving basic features is false. There is a resounding negative sentiment around this fact. Sure, People are excited to get them, but generally, people are upset that they aren't already here.

The notion that SFV is getting unbalanced treatment when compared to H5 is patently false.

SpartanN92

Banned
This thread has pretty much a moan about lack of something or other on every single page.

I don't think we as fans should ever accept a game that is incomplete and has fewer features than previous entries in the series. 343 had the exact same amount of time Bungie had to make a Halo game yet we get far fewer features (Barely any game modes, no Firefight/Spartan Ops, No BTB at launch, No Forge at launch, Terrible maps at launch with very little diversity)

People have a right to be upset over these things. 343 has been working hard to make things better yes but that's no excuse for the game shipping the way it did.

I had the same issue for months. But now I finally got a solution, if you really have the same issue you will be surprised how it can be done. Will message you after work

Looking forward to it. I'm not sure if it was you who posted an entire thread about it or not, I know someone did.

I spent some time making sure my NAT was permanently Open last night, had to mess with port triggering, disabling UPNP and even changing my DNS, but it seems to have worked...Haven't tested any online play yet though.

The real frustration lies with how random the problems are and why it's literally ONLY Halo 5..

I don't think we as fans should never accept a game that is incomplete and has fewer features than previous entries in the series. 343 had the exact same amount of time Bungie had to make a Halo game yet we get far fewer features (Barely any game modes, no Firefight/Spartan Ops, No BTB at launch, No Forge at launch, Terrible maps at launch with very little diversity)

People have a right to be upset over these things. 343 has been working hard to make things better yes but that's no excuse for the game shipping the way it did.

Game development is considerably more expensive now than it was when Bungie was working on the series (see Destiny's content situation...). I'm sure 343 did their absolute best considering the circumstances, getting priorities wrong happens from time to time in every large organisation. Of course it's okay to be upset and make it clear what they should have done differently but "lazy devs" narratives don't help anyone.

Top Bottom