• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Glass

Awesome Team Beyond video to hype you up for Regionals this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXawFnyUOaU

Is 343 going to produce anything like this? There hasn't been any HCS video content outside of entire games uploaded to YouTube which arn't good at bringing in new potential fans, and there's this wealth of stuff to hype people up over- rivalries, rostermania etc etc

Also
The @MLG Arena is looking ������ for this weekend's @HCS North America Regional Finals!
Cbg5gIKUkAIhwBe.jpg

Halo 5 = Ground zero

If Halo 6 ships without Forge and a File Browser, etc., raise the pitchforks then. Halo 5's gameplay is so good that we could, and probably should, view it that way for now, at least to keep our inner pessimistic Halo fan distracted from the truth:
Halo 5 was the game we needed in 2007, latest 2010.

I enjoyed Reach, but I would have liked it to be the game Halo 5 is, and its campaign instead telling the story of Spartan-II's.

EDIT:

Is 343 going to produce anything like this? There hasn't been any HCS video content outside of entire games uploaded to YouTube which arn't good at bringing in new potential fans, and there's this wealth of stuff to hype people up over- rivalries, rostermania etc etc

Also

Cbg5gIKUkAIhwBe.jpg
Nice.

Nutter

I don't think we as fans should never accept a game that is incomplete and has fewer features than previous entries in the series. 343 had the exact same amount of time Bungie had to make a Halo game yet we get far fewer features (Barely any game modes, no Firefight/Spartan Ops, No BTB at launch, No Forge at launch, Terrible maps at launch with very little diversity)

People have a right to be upset over these things. 343 has been working hard to make things better yes but that's no excuse for the game shipping the way it did.

Ok, ill bite...

- Did we somehow forget brilliant maps such as [Isolation, Epitaph, Cage, Spire, Paradiso]. And these were all launch maps.

- There were 11 and 9 maps respectively for 3 and Reach at launch, which included BTB/Invasion maps in the total. Halo 5 had 11 maps including 8 Arena and 3 Warzone maps. I am not including any of the forge variants being available in any game.

I personally prefer having good gameplay over all modes being available with shit gameplay (aka Reach &4). I personally cant wait to see these objectives in Matchmaking but I know from previous games that if given a seperate playlist to house all objectives, the playlist eventually dies a slow painful death.

IHaveIce

Banned
Looking forward to it. I'm not sure if it was you who posted an entire thread about it or not, I know someone did.

I spent some time making sure my NAT was permanently Open last night, had to mess with port triggering, disabling UPNP and even changing my DNS, but it seems to have worked...Haven't tested any online play yet though.

The real frustration lies with how random the problems are and why it's literally ONLY Halo 5..

Hey man,. yeah I was the one posting a whole thread about it and bugging 343 in their own forums on it, I don't think 343 is yet aware what is the issue.

I has to do with IPv6, I think wwwmonkey can back me up on this, if you have the ability to disable IPv6 on your modem for single devices do it for the xbox one, the Halo 5 servers seem to send out datapackages that have problem under specific IPv6 modems or ISPs.

I had to put a different router between my Xbox and my modem, which did not allow IPv6 at all, since then I didn't have a single disconnect and I had disconnects for 2 months about 4-5 a day.

Also

Cbg5gIKUkAIhwBe.jpg

Awesome can't wait to see the NA finals!

BraXzy

This is pretty sad for Halo 5. From Ubisoft

I mean unfortunately at launch tonnes of streamers checked it out, whether with a free copy of the game or just out of interest. Then they go back to CS GO and whatever. Hopefully more people start streaming.

It's tricky because I'd say Halo isn't that fun to watch unless you're watching really good players, so I guess not many high level people are bothering to stream.

Trup1aya

That's a pretty useless graphic since its number of broadcasters, not number of viewers...

Halo streams are concentrated around a few popular personalities, orgs, and 343i...

Rainbow 6 is a multiplatform titles, with potential streamers all over the spectrum.

Halo 5 is the best FPS game of this generation ..I don't think sale numbers and twtich numbers reflect that..By the way , is vcharts only physical or both digital and physical ?

Can't speak for everyone but when I've tried watching from the players perspective on twitch it just doesn't make for a great viewing experience. Feels like the whole match they are just yelling over each other..

BLUEBLUALUBLUA LUBLUBLU ONESHOTHOSHOTHOSHOT BLUE RED BLUE RED HALLWAY BLUE GRENADE BALLSACK DOUBLE DUTCH YOUR MOTHER

Which if you have taken the time to learn the call outs and are able to put everything that's happening it's fine. But as a gold scrub here I can tell you that most of what's going on verbally just sounds like noise to me.

Now with HCS and having commentators it's a different story.. there they can give context and at least narrate the game. But unlike Dota 2 or some other games I'd rather be playing Halo than watching pros stream.

Glass

That is one weird graph.

Anyway, Twitch viewership wise, if all the Halo's after 3 were as good as Halo 5, Halo would have a much higher viewership on Twitch. Halo 5 is paying for the sins of its fathers and will have to build its viewership from the ground up.

And if it wants higher viewing numbers, the game needs an equivalent of Summit. The pro's are great and I'm subbed to Roy, but so much of their focus is on playing seriously. Sub custom games are great, but most of the time pro's are focused on top tier gameplay. Someone as entertaining as Summit having their main game as H5 would do wonders for numbers.

SpartanN92

Banned
Game development is considerably more expensive now than it was when Bungie was working on the series (see Destiny's content situation...). I'm sure 343 did their absolute best considering the circumstances, getting priorities wrong happens from time to time in every large organisation. Of course it's okay to be upset and make it clear what they should have done differently but "lazy devs" narratives don't help anyone.

I'm not saying "lazy devs"... I don't have an answer as to why they released such a bare bones and incomplete game. Frankly the game feels a lot like they started again from scratch mid way through.

Fuchsdh

I'm surprised Rainbow Six Siege is as popular as it is. People seem to like to play garbage games.

Rainbow Six Siege has not sold well at all. It's great and all for UBI to push some other numbers but Twitch broadcasters aren't going to make up for that.

There is no doubt in my mind Halo 5 has been a far more profitable endeavor.

SpartanN92

Banned
Ok, ill bite...

- Did we somehow forget brilliant maps such as [Isolation, Epitaph, Cage, Spire, Paradiso]. And these were all launch maps.

At least they were pretty/diverse maps and not the same cookie cutter human constructs like in H5.

- There were 11 and 9 maps respectively for 3 and Reach at launch, which included BTB/Invasion maps in the total. Halo 5 had 11 maps including 8 Arena and 3 Warzone maps. I am not including any of the forge variants being available in any game.

Same thing. The Halo 5 maps feel like they have no diversity. They are just the same boring drab human structures.

I personally prefer having good gameplay over all modes being available with shit gameplay (aka Reach &4). I personally cant wait to see these objectives in Matchmaking but I know from previous games that if given a seperate playlist to house all objectives, the playlist eventually dies a slow painful death.

Agree to disagree here... I'd take Reach and 4 gameplay over 5 but that's just me.

Tomash

I'm not saying "lazy devs"... I don't have an answer as to why they released such a bare bones and incomplete game. Frankly the game feels a lot like they started again from scratch mid way through.

1) Warzone - all of the effort needed to make Infection, Grifball, BTB etc. was used for Warzone
2) No Certain Affinity - CA co-developed H4, Majestic, Castle, and Bullseye map packs
Certain Affinity co-developed War Games, Halo 4's competitive multiplayer portion, developed the majority of the War Games maps, developed all of the maps in Forge, Halo's user-creation tool and created some of the competitive multiplayer modes, including Dominion. In short, if you're playing and enjoying Halo 4, you're probably playing and enjoying something Certain Affinity played a part in creating.

IHaveIce

Banned
At least they were pretty/diverse maps and not the same cookie cutter human constructs like in H5.

Same thing. The Halo 5 maps feel like they have no diversity. They are just the same boring drab human structures.

Agree to disagree here... I'd take Reach and 4 gameplay over 5 but that's just me.

OeGcZQn.gif

Akai__

tqzGqEg.gif

You could have said Halo CE, 2 or 3 and I wouldn't have said anything, but Halo 4 and Halo Reach? When did you start playing Halo?

1) Warzone - all of the effort needed to make Infection, Grifball, BTB etc. was used for Warzone
2) No Certain Affinity - CA co-developed H4, Majestic, Castle, and Bullseye map packs

What do people see in Certain Affinity? Just look at those dumb H2A maps they have done. Heck, look at any maps they have done for Halo, except the H:CEA ones.

I'm glad that they are gone and are actually working on stuf like Doom.

Ok, ill bite...

This, you can throw 3 into the category of shit gameplay as well. 3 was made slower in a variety of ways, movement speed, equipment drawing out firefights, shield doors on a couple of maps as well as lift camping on Construct. Most of the weapons were pea shooters as well. I'd take Legendary BR's in Halo 4 over 3.

Then there's Reach, he complains about bad maps in Halo 5, but Halo Reach easily takes the cake for the worst maps in the series. The original maps were designed for both multiplayer and campaign and they played horribly as a result. Boardwalk had no flow, half the map was useless. Reflection was ruined by jetpacks. Zealot had to be updated because it was poorly designed (same with Epitaph and Snowbound in 3). 5's worst maps don't even begin to reach the lows of Reach and 3's map design. Though it may not reach the highs of 3 either (Reach certainly didn't have any maps that exceed 5's in quality or balance). But he only seems to care about different aesthetics over gameplay, I won't discount the importance of visual variety, but gameplay should be considered first.

Both Reach and 3 both needed updates to their core gameplay as well, melee damage, bloom, etc..5 had the benefit of an early beta, but that's just good decision making. It's the first game that hasn't needed it's core gameplay balanced post launch since CE. 3 and Reach started the decline of the series' multiplayer, 5 is the upswing.

This isn't a defense of missing gametypes, but it annoys me greatly when people talk like Bungie was infallible, they made a lot of mistakes that carried over to Destiny's horrendous PvP.

Karl2177

I'd guess they did. Think about the ending to Halo 4 and with Spartan Ops. The story ending of Halo 4 was the Didact falls through a slipspace rupture. Spartan Ops ends with the big Elite guy escaping, Requiem blowing up, and the map to all the Forerunner installations. The only part of those that appears in Halo 5 is the big Elite guy and he's only there for a mission. I'd bet that the overall story stayed the same(Cortana coming back), but almost every thing else changed from the original vision.

In terms of gameplay, Halo 4 was probably the Halo game that received the most scrutiny for how it played. I'd guess that the desire to change how the game played affected a lot of the early builds. They also knew that they had to have a working beta nine months before the game shipped, so they had to have a lot of the gameplay components down early. I'd guess that quite a few gameplay "things" were still in flux until 1-3 months before the beta, but once that happened they had to be on lock.

Just as an outsider looking in, it feels like production schedules are a little off, as well as being a bit understaffed in some departments, mainly art.

The original maps were designed for both multiplayer and campaign and they played horribly as a result.

I really wish this would stop being said. The maps were build for multiplayer primarily, and then inserted into campaign, with Boneyard being the one exception.

Fuchsdh

I wonder if CA was too busy with DOOM to help out with Halo 5.

I do wonder. I do think it's good for 343 to take more on in-house, especially after the MCC situation and the issues with Halo 4's Forge being outsourced.

Maybe CA wanted to expand beyond just being AAA developers' extra workhorse. Doing Doom's multiplayer could be a stepping stone to that end.

It's weird seeming SFV getting absolutely thrashed over the free content updates when Halo 5 has been doing the exact same thing. Both are light on content, both are missing plenty of features from the previous installment, and yet one is fine and the other isn't. It's weird.

halo 5 launched with a full campaign, warzone, and arena MP - street fighter is essentially online vs mode.

you're trolling, right?

G-DannY

Also... From now on, when I'll jip a clearly fucked just lost game (700-200), I'll simply refuse to play and start to run in circle in the base and get rps.

It's weird seeming SFV getting absolutely thrashed over the free content updates when Halo 5 has been doing the exact same thing. Both are light on content, both are missing plenty of features from the previous installment, and yet one is fine and the other isn't. It's weird.

Halo 5 has received plenty of crap for this bullshit 343 is pulling, pretending that "free content" is anything but "finishing the game for real this time". It's just that the series also has a pretty dedicated fanbase ready to defense-force the shit out of any complaints.

Personally if I find out they'r doing the same shit for Halo 6 then I'm not buying. I'll wait for a sale 6 months in.

Top Bottom