• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

This, you can throw 3 into the category of shit gameplay as well. 3 was made slower in a variety of ways, movement speed, equipment drawing out firefights, shield doors on a couple of maps as well as lift camping on Construct. Most of the weapons were pea shooters as well. I'd take Legendary BR's in Halo 4 over 3.

Then there's Reach, he complains about bad maps in Halo 5, but Halo Reach easily takes the cake for the worst maps in the series. The original maps were designed for both multiplayer and campaign and they played horribly as a result. Boardwalk had no flow, half the map was useless. Reflection was ruined by jetpacks. Zealot had to be updated because it was poorly designed (same with Epitaph and Snowbound in 3). 5's worst maps don't even begin to reach the lows of Reach and 3's map design. Though it may not reach the highs of 3 either (Reach certainly didn't have any maps that exceed 5's in quality or balance). But he only seems to care about different aesthetics over gameplay, I won't discount the importance of visual variety, but gameplay should be considered first.

Both Reach and 3 both needed updates to their core gameplay as well, melee damage, bloom, etc..5 had the benefit of an early beta, but that's just good decision making. It's the first game that hasn't needed it's core gameplay balanced post launch since CE. 3 and Reach started the decline of the series' multiplayer, 5 is the upswing.

This isn't a defense of missing gametypes, but it annoys me greatly when people talk like Bungie was infallible, they made a lot of mistakes that carried over to Destiny's horrendous PvP.
Great post, needed bumped.

I mean come on guys, the Halo 4 and Reach over this is ridiculous when it comes to the gameplay department, but it really is kinda hard to defend 343 when it comes to modes and maps. I mean it's been 4 months and we have no King of the Hill, no Oddball, no other compelling modes. BTB is freaking terrible, the servers are indeed getting worse and worse as we go on, and spawn killing is becoming a serious problem. This would be hands down forever the best Halo for me personally if everything was in place. As it stands now it's the best playing Halo and that's about it, everything else Bungie absolutely destroys them in and it's not even close.

im_dany

What do people see in Certain Affinity? Just look at those dumb H2A maps they have done. Heck, look at any maps they have done for Halo, except the H:CEA ones.

I'm glad that they are gone and are actually working on stuf like Doom.

tqzGqEg.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is pretty sad for Halo 5. From Ubisoft

it is cause halo 5 is sooooo good. oh well, so long as the series continues to do well enough to continue to get big support and matchmaking times are reasonable, i'll be happy.

EDIT: shit, didnt even take the time to properly look at it. this is for twitch views. of course halo 5 wont have what a multiplat title has. and halo seems to be doing pretty well during big events like HCS

EDIT: lulz, its not even viewers but number of broadcasters.

SpartanN92

Banned
tqzGqEg.gif

You could have said Halo CE, 2 or 3 and I wouldn't have said anything, but Halo 4 and Halo Reach? When did you start playing Halo?
Been playing since November 2001... Halo 2 and 3 are by far my favorite. The conversation was about Halo Reach, 4&5 if you had actually read it instead of taking one quote out of context you would have noticed.

Akai__

5 is too fast paced. Thrusters, Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, ADS... It's all bull shit and imo hurts Halo.

Sorry, but unlike Reachs or 4's Armor Abilities you can counter and react to each of those. Please tell me how they hurt Halo or break maps/gameplay in a way that Jetpacks or Promethean Vision did?

I was also the biggest enemy of ADS prior to Halo 5, but now I really don't mind it since it's really just a different zoom skin.

Can you eloborate please? It's not like my opinions are stated as a fact.

Been playing since November 2001... Halo 2 and 3 are by far my favorite. The conversation was about Halo Reach, 4&5 if you had actually read it instead of taking one quote out of context you would have noticed.

Nothing wrong with quoting what you said and it's far from out of context. I think most people who played Reach and 4 would disagree with you there.

5 is too fast paced. Thrusters, Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, ADS... It's all bull shit and imo hurts Halo.

Thrusters draw out firefights, dodging grenades, melee attacks etc...ADS is mostly cosmetic say for automatics, it doesn't have a direct effect on game pace. A lower TTK on automatics certainly does, but that also means a more balanced sandbox (before automatics were useless). Ground pound is a 1 hit kill sure, but you have to charge it and you can hear the player in the air, again doesn't increase the pace. Spartan charge is the only thing that increases the pace of the game that you mentioned as it's a way to attack while sprinting. The pistol has a pretty fast TTK, but it has low magnetism so it's difficult to pull off, not unlike the magnum in CE, which has a 3 shot kill, but it's difficult to hit all 3 as it's projectile based. The BR is closer in line with Halo 2's which had a fast RoF and lower TTK than 3, 4 or Reach's DMR. The overall pace of the game is still much slower and methodical than a twitch shooter.

I wonder how well Halo Wars 2 will do on twitch. Those kind of games seem to do very well.

Probably not that well. RTS aren't really that big anymore, it's a pretty niche game audience now. The only one you see on twitch consistently is SC2.

But I love strategy games (TBS, 4X, RTS, and etc.) So I can't wait for Halo Wars 2.

Akai__

Reach content with Halo 5 gameplay that's what I want. Well maybe not the maps from Reach, but you get what I'm saying!

That sounds more like it. Reach's variety of gametypes was pretty solid. That's where Halo 5 needs to step up primarily.

I wonder how well Halo Wars 2 will do on twitch. Those kind of games seem to do very well.

RTS games are pretty much dead on Twitch. It's all about MOBA's.

link1201

Probably not that well. RTS aren't really that big anymore, it's a pretty niche game audience now. The only one you see on twitch consistently is SC2.

But I love strategy games (TBS, 4X, RTS, and etc.) So I can't wait for Halo Wars 2.

That sounds more like it. Reach's variety of gametypes was pretty solid. That's where Halo 5 needs to step up primarily.

RTS games are pretty much dead on Twitch. It's all about MOBA's.
Hmmm, I guess I was confusing rts and mobas....I don't play either so they kinda look similar to me. What's league of legends? Rts or a moba?

Hmmm, I guess I was confusing rts and mobas....I don't play either so they kinda look similar to me. What's league of legends? Rts or a moba?

Dota, Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends are mobas and I honestly can't tell the difference between any of them.

Yes LoL is a moba, those are the ones you see a lot on Twitch. LoL, Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, and etc.

Edit: Too slow!

Akai__

To be fair, MOBA's are actually a sub genre of RTS games. In RTS games, you usually controll more than 1 unit (huge armies to be more precise) and it comes down to reacting to your enemies unit composition. In MOBA's, which are played in teams of 4 or 5, you usually only controll 1 unit.

BraXzy

We don't have any kind of release window for Halo Wars 2 yet do we? Or do we at least know it is gonna be this year? I need it in my life.

Leyasu

Banned
All good things must come to an end...

If you are from the EU, it's back to cunt servers and goodbye to the quality games that we have been enjoying the last couple of weeks.

For fuck sake 343, you're getting like dice with endless fucking tinkering! Why couldn't you have just left it how it was? I was averaging less than a minute searching for games. Smfh.

Oh well, everyone already knows you lot are clueless.

Rant over

Fuchsdh

Honestly all I want with Halo Wars 2 is a better-intergrated story and maybe some Kinect voice command stuff and finer-grained rally point control. The gameplay was solid and had some surprisingly deep strategies in multiplayer (although never rebalancing the game sort of made certain strats overused.)

BraXzy

Fall 2016 it's the only thing that we know so far, also guys you should check out my Halo Wars 2 video reaction *SPOILER* you are going to laugh a lot ;) https://youtu.be/ANYYhsi_lYU

I didn't laugh but I will say, that was pretty much my reaction. I was on Steam chat with a couple friends while it was showing and omg we went crazy when that came on. So hyped.

Rolling out.. I'm going... Going there now... As you command...

Akai__

We haven't seen the game yet, but that's totally doable. Just think, Fallout 4 was announced and released all within the same year.

I hope it gets shown at the Windows 10/Xbox One event next week. Creative Assembly + looking at the open jobs. I need something to make me less worried.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Awesome Team Beyond video to hype you up for Regionals this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXawFnyUOaU

Is 343 going to produce anything like this? There hasn't been any HCS video content outside of entire games uploaded to YouTube which arn't good at bringing in new potential fans, and there's this wealth of stuff to hype people up over- rivalries, rostermania etc etc

Also

Cbg5gIKUkAIhwBe.jpg

really excited for this, hope Renegades perform as well as they are capable of. I think CLG has 1st in the bag. Curious to see how Evil Geniuses do - they looked amazing at x-games but recent scrims have been like an entirely different team. Allegiance too seems to have fallen off a bit.

the safe bet IMO is
1st CLG
2nd EG
3rd ALG
4th RNG

but hopefully there are some upsets. I'd love to see renegades squeak into 3rd or, much less likely 2nd. And i probably shouldnt count out liquid stealing 4th...

BraXzy

I hope it gets shown at the Windows 10/Xbox One event next week. Creative Assembly + looking at the open jobs. I need something to make me less worried.

I totally forgot it was also coming to Windows 10.. I wonder if it will be another crossbuy. Oh I'm even more excited now :O

I didn't laugh but I will say, that was pretty much my reaction. I was on Steam chat with a couple friends while it was showing and omg we went crazy when that came on. So hyped.

Rolling out.. I'm going... Going there now... As you command...

Prostagma, Maista, Voulome wait wrong game . . . ALL UNITS!, Local units

blamite

I really don't miss Certain Affinity at all. Their maps in H2 and Reach weren't bad, but nothing they've made since Halo 4 has stood out as particularly good.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, I quit ONE single match today out of probably around 15 matches, a really laggy one. Got banned for 9 hours 19 minutes

Why the fuck is there even a Leave Game option? They should just rename it "get banned''

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

Despite Halo 5 having some server problems as of late, Halo 5 (as far as multiplayer is concerned) is probably the best playing Halo to date.

Sure, the maps might not be the best, but as far as arena maps are concerned, they do a fantastic job of getting you into the battle. Combat flow on the maps are good. You can have a match go into a complete halt and then you can suddenly have a fast pace match in mere seconds because combat flow from the maps are good. The maps may look bland, but as far as getting you into the fight is concerned, they are good.

If we are going to talk about Halo 5 as a competitive game, it blows every other Halo in this space. Competitive Halo 5 is fantastic.The weapon balance and combat flow of the maps attribute to this as well as movement.

Weapon balance. Halo 5 has the best weapon balance out of every Halo to date. Everything is viable and not completely broken. Everything has a purpose and if used as such, damage can be done. Close quarter weapons serve there purpose effectively as well as precision weapons. Power weapons feel like power weapons and do their part. The sandbox balance in this is on point. I don't play computer games, but as far as console games are concerned, Halo 5 has the best weapon balance to date when it comes to FPS.

As far as social and casual modes are concerned, yea Halo 5 is lacking. It can use improvement and I can see why some people would not have it on top of their list for multiplayer games cause it isn't doing a good job catering to this particular audience. Seeing as how 343 made a big improvement in a lot of things, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they really want to keep there player base, I think they will make the necessary changes. I honestly don't understand how there isn't social playlists and I definitely understand warzone should not be the substitute for this.

Abilities such as sprinting, spartan charging and ground pounding feel so right. The abilities flow really well with the pace of the game. Plus they aren't broken. Sprinters can be punished and charges can be dodged. Yea, you might get caught off by a few charges, but that does not mean they are overpowered or broken. As far as ground pounding is concerned, it does its job.

And then we have the thrusters. I love my thrusters. This is what helps make the game so fast paced. Thrusters can help you make plays or maneuver around the map faster and effectively.

I think, as far as multiplayer concerned, Halo 5 is the best Halo.

Wow, I quit ONE single match today out of probably around 15 matches, a really laggy one. Got banned for 9 hours 19 minutes

Why the fuck is there even a Leave Game option? They should just rename it "get banned''

The thing about bans is they continue to add up and nobody really knows what kind of formula they use. Personally, I think it has to do with that amount of games played. If you quit X games out of X many games. So you if you quit one game, but don’t play for a few days or week and quit another when you come back you’ll probably get ban. So it has to do with the amount you quit, not the time period. However, this is all speculation, only 343 knows.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The thing about bans is they continue to add up and nobody really knows what kind of formula they use. Personally, I think it has to do with that amount of games played. If you quit X games out of X many games. So you if you quit one game, but don’t play for a few days or week and quit another when you come back you’ll probably get ban. So it has to do with the amount you quit, not the time period. However, this is all speculation, only 343 knows.

Weird thing is, it was a 9 hour ban, and now it's lifted.

Top Bottom