• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I think that we are going to get the Brute Spiker in one future update based on the BOOMco one
5U6R784.jpg

we already have the AR and magnum skins also the gravity hammer will arrive with the February update it makes sense

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ban system is weird though. I've quit a number of times and my bans range from nine mins to 30 mins. Most of the time it's whatever because I'll just go play WZ until it's done.

Wait, bans aren't even game wide!? Wtf.

Ban system is weird though. I've quit a number of times and my bans range from nine mins to 30 mins. Most of the time it's whatever because I'll just go play WZ until it's done.

I've quit less than 10 times I'd say, and I think I've only seen a ban message twice. One time I could queue up and play another game before being banned.

Trup1aya

I think that we are going to get the Brute Spiker in one future update based on the BOOMco one
5U6R784.jpg

we already have the AR and magnum skins it makes sense

I wonder what nuance 343i would add to the spiker to give it that signature halo 5 balance. 343 has touched just about every weapon and gave them smartLink functionality and/or tweaked their basic operation.

How should they differentiate the spiker from The other auto's

I wonder what nuance 343i would add to the spiker to give it that signature halo 5 balance. 343 has touched just about every weapon and gave them smartLink functionality and/or tweaked their basic operation.

Low damage on impact, shards detonate after a second (but don't supercombine like a needler). + increased melee damage.

Maybe?

singhr1

we already have the AR and magnum skins also the gravity hammer will arrive with the February update it makes sense

It's for Halo Wars 2 (not sure if you knew or not)

Even so, I don't know who would ever use a Brute Spiker (in it's Halo 3 iteration) as a pickup/REQ over any other weapon in the Halo 5 sandbox. Unless it becomes something more unique than its current form, its just another auto-rifle for the sandbox.

It could become the Gorgon Pistol from GoW 2 (it already looks like it), a burst-fire close-mid weapon, but the boltshot already fills that category. Hmmm

Even so, I don't know who would ever use a Brute Spiker (in it's Halo 3 iteration) as a pickup/REQ over any other weapon in the Halo 5 sandbox. Unless it becomes something more unique than its current form, its just another auto-rifle for the sandbox.

It could become the Gorgon Pistol from GoW 2 (it already looks like it), a burst-fire close-mid weapon, but the boltshot already fills that category. Hmmm

Yeah but don't forget the Mark IV is for Halo Wars 2 but still we have the armor for the first time on H5 ;) I like your idea about the Gorgon pistol

Madness

Wait, bans aren't even game wide!? Wtf.

I'm not even surprised. If quit penalties were as severe as they said I wouldn't see daily quitting whether at start or end of match almost 5 months since launch. I imagine they wouldn't want to make people stop playing Halo and move to other games, but I say fuck em. Zero sympathy for quitters. Escalate to 24 hour bans, start nuking their REQ points to zero and maybe we'll see a change.

Trup1aya

Low damage on impact, shards detonate after a second (but don't supercombine like a needler). + increased melee damage.

Maybe?

Yeah a lot of that sounds really similar to things we already have.

I'm drawing blanks trying to come up with something unique. I guess that's why I'm no game designer

I'm not even surprised. If quit penalties were as severe as they said I wouldn't see daily quitting whether at start or end of match almost 5 months since launch. I imagine they wouldn't want to make people stop playing Halo and move to other games, but I say fuck em. Zero sympathy for quitters. Escalate to 24 hour bans, start nuking their REQ points to zero and maybe we'll see a change.

I don't think bans are an effective deterrent for quiting anyway. They really need to learn the ways of positive reinforcement... They need to make the reward for good sportsmanship so desireable that people would view quitting as a punishing themselves.

If 100 straight games guarunteed me a loadout DMR, you wouldn't have to worry about me ending it early.

It'd be cool if we finally got Brutes in a 343 Halo via Warzone. New bosses, more frequent AI drops consisting of Brute patrols and the brute chopper all on a covenant themed map with new bases.

This will never happen. :(

Madness

I don't think bans are an effective deterrent for quiting anyway. They really need to learn the ways of positive reinforcement... They need to make the reward for good sportsmanship so desireable that people would view quitting as a punishing themselves.

Except they are and they work well in other games. There is no point to ban penalties if I quit out of several Arena games and get a 2 hour ban but can instantly go and play Warzone. Other games do things like you can't rejoin any games until the one you left from finishes etc.

The Halo community (really all gaming) is full of assholes and let's be real. There is no way they'd be able to reward good sportsmanship as easy as punishing quitters. Maybe something like continuous matches without a quit would give you increasing XP or RP but would still leave you at mercy of quitters.

Maybe bleeding damage? Spikes that land after your enemy's shield is popped causes their healthy to slowly drain.

op_ivy

If 100 straight games guarunteed me a loadout DMR, you wouldn't have to worry about me ending it early.

Your assumption is that the majority of problematic quitters actually care about reqs/xp, which may or may not be true. A strict ban definitely addresses the problem of quitting for all though. But hey, just in case, why not both better penalties for leaving games and perks to sticking around?

link1201

It'd be cool if we finally got Brutes in a 343 Halo via Warzone. New bosses, more frequent AI drops consisting of Brute patrols and the brute chopper all on a covenant themed map with new bases.

This will never happen. :(

oooh a Chopper Boss in WZ would be fun.

Possible changes for the Spiker:
  • Pass through enemies like a Sniper
  • Stopping power like the CE Plasma Rifle
  • Bullets bounce off walls like the Spike 'nade
  • Fast melee (2x melee speed compared to normal melee, same strength though so it's not OP like the energy bayonets lol)
It could do something interesting like if you don't feather your shots, it'll quickly overheat and shoot out a shotgun blast of spikes that are left in the magazine, with the spikes bouncing off walls.

EDIT:
Spiker could do damage over time, since the spikes stick into the opponent. More spikes in target, more damage over time.
More spikes in target, slower they move. Thrust to remove spikes from armor.

Lots of potential.

Voho

Spiker could do damage over time, since the spikes stick into the opponent. More spikes in target, more damage over time.

Fuchsdh

Possible changes for the Spiker:
  • Pass through enemies like a Sniper
  • Stopping power like the CE Plasma Rifle
  • Bullets bounce off walls like the Spike 'nade
  • Fast melee (2x melee speed compared to normal melee, same strength though so it's not OP like the energy bayonets lol)
It could do something interesting like if you don't feather your shots, it'll quickly overheat and shoot out a shotgun blast of spikes that are left in the magazine, with the spikes bouncing off walls.

EDIT:
More spikes in target, slower they move. Thrust to remove spikes from armor.

Lots of potential.

The deadly melee is really the only differentiator. As a REQ I don't see the issue with giving it a 1HK or close to it, because by REQ 3 you have swords and shotguns in play anyhow.

Mokoi

Banned
Just beat the campaigns. It sucked. Not enough chief. Multiplayer is fun. Definitely my least favorite halo. Got Xbox for it but overall wasn't worth it. Although the controller feels so good. So comfy. Best console fps I played in awhile

Also the zoom in of guns is dope. Looks great

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe bleeding damage? Spikes that land after your enemy's shield is popped causes their healthy to slowly drain.

After playing destiny, I don't think I want to hear about DoT damage. Anything but DoT damage.

The deadly melee is really the only differentiator. As a REQ I don't see the issue with giving it a 1HK or close to it, because by REQ 3 you have swords and shotguns in play anyhow.
Good point, so maybe have it on an energy supply so melees can deplete the ammo.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just beat the campaigns. It sucked. Not enough chief. Multiplayer is fun. Definitely my least favorite halo. Got Xbox for it but overall wasn't worth it. Although the controller feels so good. So comfy. Best console fps I played in awhile

Also the zoom in of guns is dope. Looks great

I liked the lack of chief. I've been playing as chief since the first game came out. He's better off as a background piece or as someone to step into every once in a while. There's other stories to tell.

op_ivy

I have to question anyone that hates on the halo 5 campaign. While I can see (but disagree) with limited chief and the story being disappointments, the meat of the campaign, how it actually plays, is fantastic. Level design, combat spaces, pacing, all great. Many of these spaces instantly shot to top tier halo fun. The only "long term" downsides would be arguably weak warthog sections and repeating warden.

I suppose the easy answer is some people place more emphasis on story.

blamite

If the Spiker comes back, right after the Gravity Hammer, that means the Chopper is pretty much inevitable, right?

...right?
I liked the lack of chief. I've been playing as chief since the first game came out. He's better off as a background piece or as someone to step into every once in a while. There's other stories to tell.

Yeah I'm pretty bored with Master Chief as well. It helped that Osiris got way more screen time, but even if the ratio had been switched, I still think I would've preferred them over Blue Team. Blue just had so little character, and even what was established from the books went completely to waste. Osiris wasn't amazing by any means, but it still felt like there was something there, and hopefully they'll continue to grow in future games.

link1201

... how it actually plays, is fantastic. Level design, combat spaces, pacing, all great. Many of these spaces instantly shot to top tier halo fun. The only "long term" downsides would be arguably weak warthog sections and repeating warden.

I agree with this. It was a lot of fun to play. I really wish it had scoring and better vehicle levels though. And the story was very weak imo.

I miss crossing a dangerous bridge high up in a vast environment I'm exploring in its entirety, filled with both intimate/CQC and grand combat scenarios. Nothing really touches the experiences from CE's gameplay and level design in my opinion, but Halo 5's campaign was still pretty fun.
I would have been fine without Chief if they gave us his backstory with Blue Team in Reach, but after this trilogy is finished I will probably feel that way again anyway. Halo 6 needs Chief, and then we can finally get that Arbiter game we've been dreaming of.

Trup1aya

I have to question anyone that hates on the halo 5 campaign. While I can see (but disagree) with limited chief and the story being disappointments, the meat of the campaign, how it actually plays, is fantastic. Level design, combat spaces, pacing, all great. Many of these spaces instantly shot to top tier halo fun. The only "long term" downsides would be arguably weak warthog sections and repeating warden.

The campaign plays just about as well as any other. The story was just weak, and character development non existent.

I don't hate it, I don't like it either, I'm indifferent. It plays well, has some nice visuals and great level design but the story is just weak/bad, it lacks the mythical vibe of Bungie games, even Halo 4, also the lack of Chief means we don't have a relatable character for a good majority of the game.

I'm pretty sure the time it lists is often broken, it's odd. I've had it pop up with a ban message after a disconnect and could immediately start playing.

They changed the way the ban works I believe, it is now a ban after every quit, but you don't get banned for occasional disconnects unless you DCed multiple times in a row.

Mokoi

Banned
Many of these spaces instantly shot to top tier halo fun. The only "long term" downsides would be arguably weak warthog sections and repeating warden.

Never had those moments where I was like fuck yea halos. The story just blew man. I didn't mind playing as Locke with Osiris, but felt nothing about the team.

I miss crossing a dangerous bridge high up in a vast environment I'm exploring in its entirety, filled with both intimate/CQC and grand combat scenarios. Nothing really touches the experiences from CE's gameplay and level design in my opinion, but Halo 5's campaign was still pretty fun.

I would have been fine without Chief if they gave us his backstory with Blue Team in Reach, but after this trilogy is finished I will probably feel that way again anyway. Halo 6 needs Chief, and then we can finally get that Arbiter game we've been dreaming of.
Arbiter was great in this. Wish we got more of his fight against the covenant remnants, but this is about chief, Locke, and Cortana. His intro was boss.

I have to say after using the Plasma Caster for a while now (I’m at the fifth commendation with 18/50), I love this weapon and it’s so much fun to use. The ADS ability on it is pretty situational and I don’t use it much. However, the normal fire mode on it is great. It works really well in WZA when people crowd into really small rooms like the armory. The Scourge of Fire is really good since it shoots out two shots, giving you ten nades per magazine.

Just spam it!

I'm with you here, loved the campaign for so many elements; story, art, dialogue/VA, audio was so on the money in this game e.g. music, mixing levels, effects, identity, characters, coop dedis that are worth a damn, UI, combat areas, obvious amount of playtesting...yeah it's safe to say I wholesale loved it.

I enjoyed the warden returning story wise but fighting him over and over wore thin, especially the bullet sponge-yness. 1 time on his own, one time as 3 and then being dealt with by Cortana with the addition of one other boss would have been perfect.

Some more game saves would be handy too.

Fuck I even enjoy the AI and revive mechanics. If you play, plan and move through missions with AI in mind the right balancing against difficulty setting is close to where it needs to be. I haven't run into any issues with getting AIs to drive or go where I tell them or grab a weapon etc. I'm sure some have issues but I just haven't experienced them that way. When you factor in the attention to detail for coop replays and in game chatter the campaign was a wet dream IMO.

Oh and the cutscenes...holy shit.

Back to your post though and I agree the spaces you were traversing or strategizing over or engaging combat in raised the bar for Halo.

Top Bottom