• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Wow advanced sensors + silenced weapons make a HUGE difference, you don't show up on radar at all even if you move, only if you sprint or fire a un-silenced weapon.

Poster#1

Now equip camo aswell, or prophet's bane and speed boost.

Predator-Reboot-Shane-Black.jpg

E92 M3

Yeah, that's a good idea. Doesn't cost them anything and yet it'll get people to play (at least for a little while).

I love what 343 has done with the REQ system and think it's an extremely effective carrot on a stick that keeps people who like the game playing even more. But I also don't think they're leveraging it to its full potential. Arena and Warzone daily packs were great first additions, but what about something like:
  • Weekly challenges for 10 wins that would give you a weekly pack (which could guarantee like 2 permanent unlocks for ultra rares/legendary items)
  • A season long challenge for 40 wins or 1000 kills or something which would guarantee 5 legendarys
  • Or even challenges for the entire community similar to Spartan Companies
I feel like stuff like that would go a long way in sustaining or rebuilding the population of the game.

Yes, they have a huge untapped potential with the REQ system and I'm waiting for it to be exploited.

Instead of a GOLD they should be promotional packs specific to the new update maybe?

Makes people think they have even more of a chance to get that new armor/helm/weapon/skin etc. Even though on the back-end they don't. It'll be all smoke and mirrors!!

MUAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH >=D

Gold packs are intrinsically more interesting :D

Akai__

I've been thinking of an idea: What if with every major update, 343 gives all players one free gold pack to test their luck. It'll bring in a lot of folks to try the game out and keep interest in booting up Halo at very least once a month.

This would be pretty cool.

I wonder what the REQ's will be for getting a rank in a playlist that they introduced.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Doesn't cost them anything and yet it'll get people to play (at least for a little while).

I love what 343 has done with the REQ system and think it's an extremely effective carrot on a stick that keeps people who like the game playing even more. But I also don't think they're leveraging it to its full potential. Arena and Warzone daily packs were great first additions, but what about something like:
  • Weekly challenges for 10 wins that would give you a weekly pack (which could guarantee like 2 permanent unlocks for ultra rares/legendary items)
  • A season long challenge for 40 wins or 1000 kills or something which would guarantee 5 legendarys
I feel like stuff like that would go a long way in sustaining or rebuilding the population of the game.

I like this, too.

i was really hoping for some of this with this update but the ui stuff sounds like its just QOL stuff

G-DannY

I'm starting to think about an awkward thing: maybe they are using some sort of ping-limit, over that you are directed to another host.
So basically, let's say they use a 250ms ping as threshold, if you ping 225 to us servers you are still eligible to connect to them, if you ping 255ms, than maybe you're not.
So... Probably having a low latency ping ADSL/VDSL may be a disadvantage... pinging 225 to us host vs say 50 to EU host, still makes you eligible to be hole-filler for US matchmaking.
Maybe having a bit higher latency in region (let's say that you then ping 65ms to EU host and 260ms to US host) actually makes you impossible to connect to US host as filler but only route you to EU hosts...

So 40 pros were polled on some points about the HCS. 3 questions in total, one about Breakout, one about Radar, and one about balancing the Automatics.

This was done by a Team Beyond Admin and the pros were polled anonymously.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12246-poll-hcs-pro-player-feedback-gametypes-settings/

90% against breakout. Just remove it from the pro scene and leave it for people who like it like me.

More variety isnt bad, its fantastic. Just dont force ideas through

Glass

Remove grenade starts, take away the RNG factor the pro's hate. Going for grenades then becomes a pick up like going for the BR. Easy implementation, minimal change needed, potentially a big and welcome effect. Let that play out, see how that settles in with people.

So 40 pros were polled on some points about the HCS. 3 questions in total, one about Breakout, one about Radar, and one about balancing the Automatics.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12246-poll-hcs-pro-player-feedback-gametypes-settings/

Well, there it is .gif

Question 1: Should Breakout be included in the Halo World Championship gametypes?

Yes: 4 votes (10%)
No: 36 votes (90%)

Question 2: Should radar be disabled in the Halo World Championship settings?

Yes: 16 votes (40%)
No: 24 votes (60%)

Question 3: Should the automatic rifles be re-balanced in the Halo 5 sandbox? (AR, Storm Rifles,etc)

Yes: 15 votes (37.5%)
No: 25 votes (62.5%)

Strider

Not surprised at the Breakout votes... Would have expected a more even split for the other 2 rather than 60/40.

As far as radar goes I'm ok with it in it's current form and in general I'm a fan of pros using the same settings everyone else plays in MM.

E92 M3

I'll keep saying this, but the sandbox is essentially (the key word) perfect. Of course we can nitpick dumb stuff here and there, but pros are using the whole sandbox successfully. That is unprecedented in Halo - and I've been watching (and competing when I was younger) since it all started.

Glass

Yeah sandbox wise it's great, love seeing the variety of weapons used throughout a match. Just thinking about everyone using only BR's for a whole tournament is now really boring.

I'll keep saying this, but the sandbox is essentially (the key word) perfect. Of course we can nitpick dumb stuff here and there, but pros are using the whole sandbox successfully. That is unprecedented in Halo - and I've been watching (and competing when I was younger) since it all started.

Aye.

Actually, lets take part in this most scientific poll I created.

I also feel like we need additional levels of commendations on a personal level... something to the effect of prestige challenges in Call of Duty. Like I unlocked some of the final levels of multiplayer commendations (kills, assists, multikills, etc.) within a week of having the game. Could be cool to include additional levels going up to 10 or 20 with increasing difficulties to unlock silver/gold REQ packs at each level.

jem0208

Question 3: Should the automatic rifles be re-balanced in the Halo 5 sandbox? (AR, Storm Rifles,etc)

Yes: 15 votes (37.5%)
No: 25 votes (62.5%)

I'd be willing to bet money that immediately after the HWC this would poll very differently.

Haruko

Personally, I am less against Radar now in H5 because it helps serve as a check against some of the new spartan abilities (namely GP and Charge)

Yeah, i do love how they pick up more weapons. Thanks to the pistol in h5, there is almost* no need to pick up a BR/DMR :p.....

Aye.

Actually, lets take part in this most scientific poll I created.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA!!!!

maximrace

I must say, playing breakout on the community maps is way more fun than 343's maps. Coming from someone who doesn't really like breakout.

jfoul

I've been thinking of an idea: What if with every major update, 343 gives all players one free gold pack to test their luck. It'll bring in a lot of folks to try the game out and keep interest in booting up Halo at very least once a month.

A gold pack should be awarded every week to players that complete the daily slayer & warzone packs 7 days consecutively.

Caja 117

Having lots of fun in Warzone, although I'm playing solo, it still good fun to just shoot at things without worrying about ranks or KD, it feels a bit Grindy because I'm working towards getting REQ points, but I don't mind. Also, I'm working on trying to escape that Platinum I have in Arena, but I think I lost 2 out of 4...I had one CTF that we almost pulled the win, but The other team did a Stealh cap for the last one.

E92 M3

A gold pack should be awarded every week to players that complete the daily slayer & warzone packs 7 days consecutively.

No, I'm not touching Warzone lol. With my solution it brings in fresh blood - the goal is to expand slowly but surely.

Caja 117

At least if they do that make sure those Golds come with permanent unlocks, the Silver I open for the daily reward never come with permanent unlocks. =/

i love the breakout talks

all breakout is awful
no, breakout is good.
no, its awful. arena breakout is okay though.
no, all breakout is awful
no, breakout is good.
no, breakout is good.
no, breakout is good.

I'm going to intentionally rank as low as possible in placement matches and dong on everyone there, can't see any point in trying to play ranked solo.

E92 M3

I bet it's removed for season 2 or whatever follows HWC.

At that point it would be mandatory and who knows where we will be for season 2. They would show their maturity and understanding of the competition to remove it now.

I just can't imagine the final match of the whole tournament being decided by Breakout. That would be crushing for the teams and the viewers.

Is there like a central website somewhere that outlines all the HCS team line-ups and stuff? I've wanted to start watching but need some context as to how things have changed since the days of MLG Halo 3.

Top Bottom