• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Caja 117

The win-loss ranking system only makes sense for ranking full teams. That's the best way to rank games if you have a full team matched against another full team. Though it makes life for everyone else suck. Really the current system is a lose-lose system for randoms. No reward when you play well and lose. Get ranked up for playing bad with a win only to get put against even tougher competition as a result.

I don't know what is so hard about inserting a mercenary playlist into halo. One thing is clear though: if it hasn't happened yet it's never going to happen sadly. Please understand lol.

Not really, even playing with randoms, you can blame a couple of games to your teammates, but those loses are not going to be a decisive factor in the your true rank.

I started on Plat 4 in team arena and have worked myself to diamond 2, I don't consider myself good enough to be Onyx, so If by the end of this season I don't win enough to reach Onyx, its because I wasn't good enough, ther are games you loose because of players you are match with, but there are also games you win because the players on your team carry you to the win, it evens out.

Reach happened with Arena Slayer with individual stats ranking, and was the worst idea ever to Rank.

That's where the overtime aspect kicks in. If you are a good player, you'll help your teams win more often than you are drug down by your teamates.

It's extremely unlikely that someone would continuously get matched with people below their skill level AND continuously get matched against people above it. Overtime, the trend will be that you spend an even amount of time on both sides of the spectrum, and ideally, most of your time right in the middle of it. If these conditions are met, then each player IS the X factor in his/her own win %.

I dunno, i spend a lot of time either going into MM alone (with randoms that youve never played with) or with my friends who are not at my skill level. So in one situation i either dont know what to expect and have to improvise cause i dunno if their even going to "play as a team" or not and in the other situation, i know that if i dont play really well, were gonna lose cause these guys arent great. Halos rank doesnt work well for people like me. It assumes you'll play with people at your level and thats not the case for me and im sure thats the case for most people out there.

That's where the overtime aspect kicks in. If you are a good player, you'll help your teams win more often than you are drug down by your teamates.

It's extremely unlikely that someone would continuously get matched with people below their skill level AND continuously get matched against people above it. Overtime, the trend will be that you spend an even amount of time on both sides of the spectrum, and ideally, most of your time right in the middle of it. If these conditions are met, then each player IS the X factor in his/her own win %.

Edit: people who are in sports recognize the importants of a team to allow an individual player to succeed. This is why running back site there o-line for big games, for example.

this is, ideally, how it should work.

and this is, in fact, how it's seemed to have panned out for me every since since launch.

except this season.

for whatever reason, i'm either wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of the pack on my team, or struggle to contribute even the slightest.

strangest thing is, in previous seasons i've always been able to call it before the carnage report "oh, this'll be three plats with an onyx friend teamed up... YUP!".

this time around?

completely random - getting stomped by golds, then turning around and stomping diamonds.

somehow i feel as though the rankings have gotten to mean much less, at least in diamond & below.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, even playing with randoms, you can blame a couple of games to your teammates, but those loses are not going to be a decisive factor in the your true rank.

I started on Plat 4 in team arena and have worked myself to diamond 2, I don't consider myself good enough to be Onyx, so If by the end of this season I don't win enough to reach Onyx, its because I wasn't good enough, ther are games you loose because of players you are match with, but there are also games you win because the players on your team carry you to the win, it evens out.

Reach happened with Arena Slayer with individual stats ranking, and was the worst idea ever to Rank.

All you need to be onyx is a solid team of 4. If you search arena with a solid team of 4, you'll destroy a lot of team of randoms because you guys will be operating on the same page.

Caja 117

All you need to be onyx is a solid team of 4. If you search arena with a solid team of 4, you'll destroy a lot of team of randoms because you guys will be operating on the same page.
But I will still be in a rank that I dont belong because Im not good enough to be it, i already have friends that have been on and off champion this season, and the couple of time I played Im going negative 8, the same last season when they were onyx and I wasnt, I was always the difference if they won or loose a game because I was playing out of my skill rank.

Fuck fuck fuck... So I didn't play halo all weekend. My wife and kid are sick, so I finally get them squared away and I'm ready to play, and Xbox live is down... Again...

What the hell man, it's several times a week it seems like...

Like I can't even play games I own digitally without crashing to the dashboard
I thought physical copies still work, you on digital?

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
But I will still be in a rank that I dont belong because Im not good enough to be it, i already have friends that have been on and off champion this season, and the couple of time I played Im going negative 8, the same last season when they were onyx and I wasnt, I was always the difference if they won or loose a game because I was playing out of my skill rank.

Man, people place way too much emphasis on kill/death in this game. Yes it can be useful to look at, but I would place more emphasis on the damage stat. That is a stat worth analyzing. I have had guys on my team go negative as well, but their damage stat is on average with the team.

Having it too low and below average would tell me x player is way too passive and not contributing to the team and/or their positioning is terrible. Having it be average with the team would tell me the player is contributing to the team and are listening to callouts somewhat and winning some of their battles along with decent positioning. If a person has a high damage stat and are consistent with a high damage stat, that tells me there positioning is good, they are winning their battles and they listen to callouts.

There is more to this, but there is no point being verbose.

It only just occurred to me that Killer Instinct is getting a Sanghelios map before we do. ****** am cry.

Would love it if the first dev-made BTB map was set in that environment. I think we might have enough sharp metal corners.

Edit: Well would you look at that, his name is auto-bleeped. Haha well that's interesting, didn't expect that.

Sou Da

I'm sort of hoping and expecting the game to get a fall relaunch/expansion. Campaign DLC/Firefight, multiplayer maps, REQs, and other stuff. Partially outsourced to CA too since they should be wrapping up on DOOM mp anyways.
Thy desperately need another studio to take the load off of 343. It's how ATVI has kept up so well with CoD and Destiny (well mostly CoD), is off loading a good portion to other in house studios. That's something MS needs for Halo.

Lol, I remember people asking for this in the H3 days. Never going to happen.

Caja 117

Man, people place way too much emphasis on kill/death in this game. Yes it can be useful to look at, but I would place more emphasis on the damage stat. That is a stat worth analyzing. I have had guys on my team go negative as well, but their damage stat is on average with the team.

Having it too low and below average would tell me x player is way too passive and not contributing to the team and/or their positioning is terrible. Having it be average with the team would tell me the player is contributing to the team and are listening to callouts somewhat and winning some of their battles along with decent positioning. If a person has a high damage stat and are consistent with a high damage stat, that tells me there positioning is good, they are winning their battles and they listen to callouts.

There is more to this, but there is no point being verbose.

I use that as an example, but Im talking about doing very litle or hurting the team to a degree, if you are placed on a especific rank and you are going negative constantly, then you are not in your true rank.

I think at this point, they need a dedicated team to maintain the sustain well into the end of 2016 and beyond. My fear is that they will hand it off to a vendor while the whole team moves onto the real deal. Halo 6.

Keeping Halo 5 MP alive is cruciual. Having the HCS league isn't enough. That is just my 2 cents though. Anyone have a quarter?

I am expecting huge expansion pack next year with brand new maps and new game modes like Firefight 3.0 etc.Halo 5 needs to be alive till Halo 3 Anniversary ..

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
I use that as an example, but Im talking about doing very litle or hurting the team to a degree, if you are placed on a especific rank and you are going negative constantly, then you are not in your true rank.

The only way to get better is to play against people who are on average or better than you. It forces you to adapt and figure out what the heck you are doing wrong. Your shot will improve as you play and how you play. If all you do (not saying you specifically) is looking at the stat cards after every match and not anything else, it will not help you improve.

Again, not saying you specifically.

Onyx players are above average, but that is about it. They aren't in a whole other league than other players. They just tend to work with their team more than the lesser divisions. That is literally it. As you play and start making better decisions, you will start to improve. Your shot will follow with your play style.

If you really feel like you are under performing, then there is a chance you aren't operating on the same page with the people you play with. As you begin to operate on that page, your gun skill will follow. Obviously there wont't be a 200% increase in combat effectiveness, but it will follow.

Also there are A LOT of things that do not reflect on the stat sheet, keep that in mind.

Trup1aya

I dunno, i spend a lot of time either going into MM alone (with randoms that youve never played with) or with my friends who are not at my skill level. So in one situation i either dont know what to expect and have to improvise cause i dunno if their even going to "play as a team" or not and in the other situation, i know that if i dont play really well, were gonna lose cause these guys arent great. Halos rank doesnt work well for people like me. It assumes you'll play with people at your level and thats not the case for me and im sure thats the case for most people out there.

I mostly go in solo and don't feel like I've had any resistance getting into a division that matches my skill level. I have as many easy wins and I do bitter defeats, and the majority of my matches are competitive

When you party with people below you, the system will understandably have a harder time getting you into competitive matches... You are throwing way more variables into the system. But I don't see how tracking your individual stats in these situations would paint a picture of what division you belong in. Is a guy who gets 30 kills in a CTF game as good as the guy who got 4 returns 3 captures and a carrier kill to save the winning cap...

I thought physical copies still work, you on digital?

Yeah digital for me

The error message tells me I should put a disc in... Smh

Trup1aya

this is, ideally, how it should work.

and this is, in fact, how it's seemed to have panned out for me every since since launch.

except this season.

for whatever reason, i'm either wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of the pack on my team, or struggle to contribute even the slightest.

strangest thing is, in previous seasons i've always been able to call it before the carnage report "oh, this'll be three plats with an onyx friend teamed up... YUP!".

this time around?

completely random - getting stomped by golds, then turning around and stomping diamonds.

somehow i feel as though the rankings have gotten to mean much less, at least in diamond & below.

That's totally bizzare. Where are you located? I have seen some pretty obvious cases of smurfing and account boosting,

But if you are between platinum and onyx, and in a decent sized population area, it neither should really be an issue...

I'm the best.

This is for California and San Diego lol.

That's totally bizzare. Where are you located? I have seen some pretty obvious cases of smurfing and account boosting,

But if you are between platinum and onyx, and in a decent sized population area, it neither should really be an issue...

I'm in Victoria, BC [pacific northwestern canada].

I've seen blatant smurfing & boosting more often lately as well.

Warxard

Banned
I'm sort of hoping and expecting the game to get a fall relaunch/expansion. Campaign DLC/Firefight, multiplayer maps, REQs, and other stuff. Partially outsourced to CA too since they should be wrapping up on DOOM mp anyways.
Thy desperately need another studio to take the load off of 343. It's how ATVI has kept up so well with CoD and Destiny (well mostly CoD), is off loading a good portion to other in house studios. That's something MS needs for Halo.

That doesn't make sense. Halo isn't a yearly franchise like CoD is.

Omni

Logged on for the first time in a while.

I can't find any games? I'm in Australia. Tried the social CTF playlist, BTB and Warzone so far. Is this a known issue? I can say for certain that it's not my connection.

Also I felt like buying a couple of gold packs for the fun of it. But I don't see the option in-game any more. How do I do that now? o:

Fffff this game. I can't get on a decent and or balanced team to save my life. And seeing how 343 is never going to make a mercenary playlist I'm done. You can remove me from the halogaf spartan company as well. Best of luck all.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Fffff this game. I can't get on a decent and or balanced team to save my life. And seeing how 343 is never going to make a mercenary playlist I'm done. You can remove me from the halogaf spartan company as well. Best of luck all.

Leave once you get that Achilles yo. lol

See you tomo-

See you tomorrow!

oh

Anyway, take a break, play something else, play something casual like Battlefront or GW2, then come back, it works pretty well.

Fotos

So just checked my time played in Halo 4 multiplayer and I already have more time in Halo 5.

6 days 5 hours in H4 Multiplayer

8 days 11 hours in H5 Multiplayer

Karl2177

So just checked my time played in Halo 4 multiplayer and I already have more time in Halo 5.

2 days 10 hours in H4 multiplayer
1 day 22 hours in H5 Arena
2 days 13 hours in H5 Warzone

jem0208

80% sure it'll be a glitch and it's more like 2 minutes. Don't worry Jem!

Oh it's definitely not a glitch, I've quit quite a few CTF games in the last day or so, I keep getting interrupted half way through matches.

I'm just wondering whether it's 29 hours or 29 minutes...

I only have two days of playtime in H4 lol. I never even got the DLC. H5 is my second most played I'm at 6 days and 16 hours. I don't know it'll ever pass Reach though, I had close to 20 days in it. There was just so much to do and I always kept coming back.

BraXzy

Oh it's definitely not a glitch, I've quit quite a few CTF games in the last day or so, I keep getting interrupted half way through matches.

I'm just wondering whether it's 29 hours or 29 minutes...

Oh boy. Fingers crossed for your sake it's minutes. Ideally when you try to search it should pop up with an updated timer but it doesn't do that does it? Kinda daft since the initial message is easy enough to miss.

Caja 117

The only way to get better is to play against people who are on average or better than you. It forces you to adapt and figure out what the heck you are doing wrong. Your shot will improve as you play and how you play. If all you do (not saying you specifically) is looking at the stat cards after every match and not anything else, it will not help you improve.

Again, not saying you specifically.

Onyx players are above average, but that is about it. They aren't in a whole other league than other players. They just tend to work with their team more than the lesser divisions. That is literally it. As you play and start making better decisions, you will start to improve. Your shot will follow with your play style.

If you really feel like you are under performing, then there is a chance you aren't operating on the same page with the people you play with. As you begin to operate on that page, your gun skill will follow. Obviously there wont't be a 200% increase in combat effectiveness, but it will follow.

Also there are A LOT of things that do not reflect on the stat sheet, keep that in mind.
Im not sure what we are debating over. I understand your point, but what Im trying to say is that the system is not a lose lose system to randoms, once you hit a wall where you are loosing games more often, and not beem the factor of the wins like you did before you got to that rank it means you are placed in the rank that is suitable for your skills, it is not about what can you acomplish, is about that the ranking system been the best accurrate system to place you on the rank you belong, it isnt without flaws, but a individual performance ranking on a team based game is the worst solution.

jem0208

Oh boy. Fingers crossed for your sake it's minutes. Ideally when you try to search it should pop up with an updated timer but it doesn't do that does it? Kinda daft since the initial message is easy enough to miss.

Haha, cheers.

It wouldn't be the end of the world really. I have a veritable shit tonne of work to catch up on at the moment but I just keep playing Halo instead.

Fotos

I only have two days of playtime in H4 lol. I never even got the DLC.

Man, 6 days of Halo 4 ...

... I didn't even cross 12 hours on that. Pushing 2.5 days on Halo 5 now

6 Days of Halo 4 must be like vomiting profusely for a week

I really don't know how I played for that long honestly lol. It was by far my least favorite Halo Multiplayer.

I also had 10 days 14 hours in Halo Reach Multiplayer

I mostly go in solo and don't feel like I've had any resistance getting into a division that matches my skill level. I have as many easy wins and I do bitter defeats, and the majority of my matches are competitive

When you party with people below you, the system will understandably have a harder time getting you into competitive matches... You are throwing way more variables into the system. But I don't see how tracking your individual stats in these situations would paint a picture of what division you belong in. Is a guy who gets 30 kills in a CTF game as good as the guy who got 4 returns 3 captures and a carrier kill to save the winning cap...

Yeah digital for me

The error message tells me I should put a disc in... Smh

Well in that case if you're playing capture the flag game take different stats into account. It's not rocket science

I got curious about my playtimes as well thanks to you guys.

Halo 5 - 37 hours so far
Halo 4 - 18 hours total
Halo R - 181 Hours
Halo 3 - 180 Hours
Halo 2 - Unknown, but "1000 games played." It must max out at a thousand, don't see any time records.

I know I've played Halo 1 PC multiplayer waaaaay more than any other Halo game. There's no way to track that number but I'd probably be ashamed if I saw all that time tallied up. It's gotta be at least four times greater than my highest time above. I played it every single day for years. And I still catch a game or two occasionally to this day.
I had a lot of time on my hands back then. Please don't do that math.

Trup1aya

Apparently I played halo4 for 2days and 7hrs... Which is baffling to me, because I vividly remember despising the game... I also, purchased the majestic map pack :( ...

I'm guessing my lil bro was using my account while I was off in college...

I've got 1 day 18hrs in Halo5 Arena... Which is also baffling because I feel like I never get time to play, yet I'm already creeping up on combined h4 time with my bro. I actually would have passed it this weekend or today if it wasn't for Regionals and Xbox live being down.

Add another 2days 5hrs for Warzone.

So either H5 is awesome or H4 sucked donkey balls, or both...

Top Bottom