• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

shoreu

Yes.

No. Headlong is still fun. The basic layouts are still fun. You are wrong.

How am I wrong I could jump across lockout 4 different ways with the halo 5 Spartan abilities. They will not work with the current game.

Why just keep rehashing old shit when you can create some new maps.

Ocho

I have never experienced this. When I was a onyx I got paired with champions or high csr onyxs (2000s). Now that I am champion it pretty much is champions mixed with or high csr onyxs. The only time I have ever matched anything below onyx while being onyx is when I play with a friends that are ranked gold and diamond. This applies to both arena and slayer I dunno about the other playlists.

How often do you play solo tho?

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
How often do you play solo tho?

I spend most of my time searching in twos. I don't try to search solo. I search with a close friend and if we can, we will pick up a third or fourth.

I spend most of my time searching in twos. I don't try to search solo. I search with a close friend and if we can, we will pick up a third or fourth.

Solo is probably the issue, plus my lack of consistency. I have almost 300 games played this season solo, I went from Diamond 2 up to Onyx 1642. Now I’ve been just floating around 1500s. I have a very aggressive playstyle, probably too aggressive at times. I’ll take a 1v1 fight a majority of the time because I’m confident in my abilities. However, when I start to go against teams; I get destroyed most of the time. Because I’ll get the kill and get traded instantly or I’ll just get double teamed. So when I get teammates that fit my playstyle I do great. However, if I get passive teammates I tend to do bad because I’ll push and realize I’m the only one doing it. That being said, I’m not really complaining about it. I’m playing solo, so I know what to expect and it doesn’t really bother me. I just enjoy playing Slayer for some reason. I’ll try to play a few games of WZ or some other mode and I’ll instantly just go back to Slayer after a few games. The 4v4 arena in this game is just too good.

Sx98ler.png

mo60

Someone actually sent this message to me after my first match on torque in team slayer.
ZRRhOws.png

I got close to double the amount of kills as that guy even though we lost the match by a lot.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Solo is probably the issue, plus my lack of consistency. I have almost 300 games played this season solo, I went from Diamond 2 up to Onyx 1642. Now I’ve been just floating around 1500s. I have a very aggressive playstyle, probably too aggressive at times. I’ll take a 1v1 fight a majority of the time because I’m confident in my abilities. However, when I start to go against teams; I get destroyed most of the time. Because I’ll get the kill and get traded instantly or I’ll just get double teamed. So when I get teammates that fit my playstyle I do great. However, if I get passive teammates I tend to do bad because I’ll push and realize I’m the only one doing it. That being said, I’m not really complaining about it. I’m playing solo, so I know what to expect and it doesn’t really bother me. I just enjoy playing Slayer for some reason. I’ll try to play a few games of WZ or some other mode and I’ll instantly just go back to Slayer after a few games. The 4v4 arena in this game is just too good.

You play slayer as in the playlist? The one thing you should keep in mind for slayer is rotating. Other than that there is not much I can say since I have never played with you. I do agree arena in this game is very fun.

I feel as if i have better precision and control of my aim.

Someone might have the scientific definition of what they do.

Longer thumb sticks basically require less effort to move them. Shorter sticks require more effort.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Recent breakthroughs in reverse-engineering Promethean fractal interpolation drives ensure kinetic hardpoint torque-node extensions are nothing to scoff at. Mythic upgraded Mongoose with improved armor, traction, and emergency translocation unit.

Ok warher, I take back anything bad I ever said about your fanfic. Bravo.

How am I wrong I could jump across lockout 4 different ways with the halo 5 Spartan abilities. They will not work with the current game.

Because new maps are often bad. I would much rather play on something familiar and fun than novel and not fun. Because I play games for fun, you see.

You would obviously have to adapt new maps, but as Guillotine already shows it is very possible to take an old layout and play it in Halo 5, and have it be the best map in the playlist. For something like Lockout, you would obviously have to move stuff so you couldn't just jump from elbow to mid 2, or clamber from everywhere to everywhere.

This isn't to say not to make any new maps, but there are obvious benefits for including a significant amount of standard "classics." For one, people can figure out the sandbox without having to also memorize the layout of a map.

But why are you viewing this as an inherently bad thing? Lockout might actually be a good* map in Halo 5. Ground Pounding from top center to the elbow? Fuck yeah I want to do that, and if I miss then lol good times. Ground Pounding off the lift in Colossus? I'm there. etc. etc.

On another note, I'd like for some alternate gametypes in the Grifball playlist to mix things up. For example, this looks pretty fun.

EDIT:
This looks really fun. Should add a jump pad to attempt a ground pound slam dunk, Boom Shacka Lacka!
Yeah, funny how we both thought the same thing with that gif ;b
Did you really post a 62 MB GIF?

What's wrong with you?

I don't want to start adding people in this thread to my ignore list.
Jesus lol, calm down. Neither myself nor jfoul posted this gif trying to ruin your wonderful, non 62MB GIF infected day.

clav

Did you really post a 62 MB GIF?

What's wrong with you?

I don't want to start adding people in this thread to my ignore list.

Trup1aya

Assault is going to cause me to buy an elite controller. My body wants to use the double dash to close distances on opponents for the easy one hit kill, but having to take my thumb of of RS to dash almost guaruntees I miss my melee.

Does that get you anywhere? I feel like that is just a massive area to avoid, there's not many movement options out of it. You can retreat to the base, clamber up the right, or push forward to bottom mid which only leads to the enemies courtyard. At the very least clambering to the left should be an option.

If the pillars are up, I don't see any reason not to go down there. There is plenty of cover.

daedalius

Because new maps are often bad. I would much rather play on something familiar and fun than novel and not fun. Because I play games for fun, you see.

You would obviously have to adapt new maps, but as Guillotine already shows it is very possible to take an old layout and play it in Halo 5, and have it be the best map in the playlist. For something like Lockout, you would obviously have to move stuff so you couldn't just jump from elbow to mid 2, or clamber from everywhere to everywhere.

This isn't to say not to make any new maps, but there are obvious benefits for including a significant amount of standard "classics." For one, people can figure out the sandbox without having to also memorize the layout of a map.

Guillotine is soooooo good

Black Ops does this with Nuketown, and I'd argue that there's a far more separating the first two Blops games and Black Ops 3 with its jumpjets, at least mechanically, than there is between any two Halo games. Lockout/Guardian/Midship should be in every Halo.

tootsi666

Agreed. Just look at CS, great maps like de_dust2 were played in 2003 and they are played right now.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm really behind the idea to let Classics never die and bring them back every halo game, but Lockout is not one of them. Tbh Lockout was never really that good.

There are lots of classic maps that would work brought back to life, but Lockout is not one of them.

jem0208

I'm really behind the idea to let Classics never die and bring them back every halo game, but Lockout is not one of them. Tbh Lockout was never really that good.

There are lots of classic maps that would work brought back to life, but Lockout is not one of them.

Lockout is just stalemate central, IMO one of the most overrated maps in the series.

Confession time, I also think Blood Gulch/Coagulation is overrated and I prefer Valhalla/Ragnarok.

Trup1aya

Is it just me or are most people crap with the Hydra? It offends me.

It's not just you. I was once horrible with it, and started avoiding it. I learned the errors of my ways, and typically do serious damage with it... But my teammates usually make me what to betray them for it
i don't do it, though

I think lockout WAS a good map when H2 first shipped. BR starts turned it into stalemate central. I'd like to see it reimagined with reconsiderations for the death trap rooms and the new mechanics.

Akai__

Nothing says more BTB than a team that is trying to farm kills and doesn't want to cap the flag. Unfortunately for them, they all straight up sucked and I was farming them, too:

If anything is Unsporting Behaviour, then it's definitely kill farming.

It's not just you. I was once horrible with it, and started avoiding it. I learned the errors of my ways, and typically do serious damage with it... But my teammates usually make me what to betray them for it
i don't do it, though

I think lockout WAS a good map when H2 first shipped. BR starts turned it into stalemate central. I'd like to see it reimagined with reconsiderations for the death trap rooms and the new mechanics.
I covered this earlier:
Lockout is my all time favorite 4v4 map, though it wouldn't work in 5 due to its size and I'm not keen on just scaling it larger. I'd like to see a spiritual successor to Lockout, not Guardian or the Cage though, Cage is trash and Guardian never grabbed me.

A successor would be awesome, but I'd rather avoid an up-scaled Lockout with small additions that keep Halo 5 mechanics in mind.

Nothing says more BTB than a team that is trying to farm kills and doesn't want to cap the flag. Unfortunately for them, they all straight up sucked and I was farming them, too:

If anything is Unsporting Behaviour, then it's definitely kill farming.
:lol
They didn't even get many kills.

jem0208

Yes, they are. Assault is the funniest thing that could happen to Halo 5. People running back to your base and camping, because they think it's Oddball or something.

Yup, I just had a game on Torque where the enemy had the ball in our base and I was the only one challenging the carrier. I get killed and swap to one of my teammates perspective. Turns out 3 of them are challenging a single guy literally just around the corner from out base. They easily arm it whilst the rest of my team pushes forwards away from our base.

Had this moment the other day though with one of the most satisfying reversals I've had:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/15199238

IHaveIce

Banned
Lockout is just stalemate central, IMO one of the most overrated maps in the series.

Confession time, I also think Blood Gulch/Coagulation is overrated and I prefer Valhalla/Ragnarok.
No Lies detected.
i don't do it, though

Yep just look at the H2A tournaments, rarely anything on Lockout slayer happened, it was just stalemates over stalemates, it was good for Oddball yeah.. but like you said Lockout would have to be heavily retuned so it would work

jem0208

No Lies detected.

Yep just look at the H2A tournaments, rarely anything on Lockout slayer happened, it was just stalemates over stalemates, it was good for Oddball yeah.. but like you said Lockout would have to be heavily retuned so it would work

Yeah, Lockdown slayer was so boring. The only time it was ever interesting was perhaps the last 2 or 3 kills and that was only if it was a close game.

Trup1aya

Yes, they are. Assault is the funniest thing that could happen to Halo 5. People running back to your base and camping, because they think it's Oddball or something.

Oh god it's infuriating sometimes though.

I had nearly planted the bomb on Colesium. The bar looked completely full, that's how close I was. When I died, my team just surrounded the bomb, staring at it. All they needed to do was touch it and we win.

As I wait to respawn, I see my teammate's futile attempts to ward off the red team. Red guy grabs the bomb and reset it and time expires. Game tied.

Top Bottom