• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does the Halo 5 MP player base get better every month? In Jan season I had no problem going to Gold 6, now I am perma Gold 1, probably actually a silver.

pieface

Assault is so good! So glad this has finally come to the game! Love it so much! Definitely improves the game hugely for me! Will they be keeping the assault play list or is it just a weekend thing?

Trup1aya

I wonder how much better halo 5 would have been recieved at launch had assault been in the game instead of breakout...

Seems like such wasted effort...

Chittagong

Gold Member
It matters more who you play WITH than who you play against, talking about ranking up.

Yeah I know I could level up with friends quicker but I guess that wouldn't be my true skill. This month I have got two Killing Frenzies and a Running Riot, plus carried multiple all-negative teams to victory, which I haven't done before. But definitely my ranks is falling off the cliff to silver in March.

My biggest problem is that I keep getting surprised from behind, or ganged up by multiple enemies

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know I could level up with friends quicker but I guess that wouldn't be my true skill. This month I have got two Killing Frenzies and a Running Riot, plus carried multiple all-negative teams to victory, which I haven't done before. But definitely my ranks is falling off the cliff to silver in March.

My biggest problem is that I keep getting surprised from behind, or ganged up by multiple enemies

Positioning/awareness

Knightblade, increased damage/knockback against vehicles.

How much different is that from the kinetic rounds attachment? I forgot what the name is, but isn't there an attachment that does that already? I dunno, hence I ask.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is the thing. Like, when I respawn where should I go. I try to find my team mates, but often on my way to them I get jumped, or they spread out when I get there.

Depends who you are playing with. If you're team is communicating, listen to what they are saying as you prepare for respawn. Also keep in mind as to where they're at. If they are fighting people, keep it in mind. Pay attention to where people die so you have spawns in consideration. As far as what you should do depends on the situation. Knowing the above should give you purpose. So try that. There isn't much else I can tell you what to do since Halo is situational.

Not really related, but got a copy of Black Ops 3 for free so tried it out, despite people keep saying it is the best CoD in recent years it is still pale compared to what Halo 5 did, the controls and movement options are sluggish, weapon balance is all over the place, the TTK means almost no gunfight is determined by skill. Though connection is really nice.

bchamba

Just got pooped on in a game where it was 3 low diamonds and one onyx player against 3 onyx players and a diamond. Thanks matchmaking.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Depends who you are playing with. If you're team is communicating, listen to what they are saying as you prepare for respawn. Also keep in mind as to where they're at. If they are fighting people, keep it in mind. Pay attention to where people die so you have spawns in consideration. As far as what you should do depends on the situation. Knowing the above should give you purpose. So try that. There isn't much else I can tell you what to do since Halo is situational.

Good advice, thanks. When playing with randoms people don't really communicate or stick to an area, so that makes it even more situational I guess.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Good advice, thanks. When playing with randoms people don't really communicate or stick to an area, so that makes it even more situational I guess.

One thing I can tell you is to pay attention to where you spawn. Where you spawn is a good indicator as to where the enemy team can be.

Let me use truth for an example...

Let's say it is ctf truth since slayer is rotational as far as spawns are concerned.

If you spawn carbine side, that tells you there might be enemies pink side or in your base. Things like that can also help you if you take it into consideration. What you do from there depends entirely on what is happening in that match.

Let's say you're playing slayer rig.

If you spawn outside, enemy team is obviously inside.

Understand where I am going with this?

Chittagong

Gold Member
One thing I can tell you is to pay attention to where you spawn. Where you spawn is a good indicator as to where the enemy team is at.

Let me use truth for an example...

Let's say it ctf truth since slayer is rotational as far as spawns are concerned.

If you spawn carbine side, that tells you there might be enemies pink side or in your base. Things like that can also help you if you take it into consideration. What you do from there depends entirely on what is happening in thay match.

Wow, that's s really good. And obvious now that you mention it :D

I've been saying it, we need to target Promethean enemies with extreme prejudice. There just aren't enough of those guys spawning into Warzone matches, and then we end up splitting kills with the randoms.

It's possible we'll be finished lvl 3 of Spartan charges by tommorow. We needed around 800 when I checked yesterday. Hopefully The Assualt playlist is still around to help out. Does anyone know if Spartan charges count in GrifBall? I either get medals for melee or sword kills...

Only melee kills, regular kills and ground pounds count in Griffball

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that's s really good. And obvious now that you mention it :D

A lot of things are obvious in Halo. The biggest problem is taking them into consideration when you play. What separates a professional player from the regular Joe is that they act on what they know. The regular Joe may know it, but that doesn't mean he/she acts on it. Obviously there's more to consider, but this is one of things worth mentioning.

Like people know positioning is key and working with the team is key, or listening to call outs is key. They know this, but they don't follow through with this 100%. Sure, you can listen to call outs, but you might not act on them. If you act on them, you might not do it effectively because you truly don't take your position into consideration. When you don't take your position into consideration, you aren't taking your team into consideration. It adds up. It's all how you execute it.

In basic form, when it comes to teamwork in Halo, it is straight forward. It's the most easiest thing to understand. But in between all those principles, there is more to it. Halo is a game that is situational and the only way to become better is to use your head. Seems obvious when you think about it, but when you are put into a situation, how much of your head are you using? If you do, how effectively?

Chittagong

Gold Member
A lot of things are obvious in Halo. The biggest problem is taking them into consideration when you play. What separates a professional player from the regular Joe is that they act on what they know. The regular Joe may know it, but that doesn't mean he/she acts on it. Obviously there's more to consider, but this is one of things worth mentioning.

Like people know positioning is key and working with the team is key, or listening to call outs is key. They know this, but they don't follow through with this 100%. Sure, you can listen to call outs, but you might not act on them. If you act on them, you might not do it effectively because you truly don't take your position into consideration. When you don't take your position into consideration, you aren't taking your team into consideration. It adds up. It's all how you execute it.

In basic form, when it comes to teamwork in Halo, it is straight forward. It's the most easiest thing to understand. But in between all those principles, there is more to it. Halo is a game that is situational and the only way to become better is to use your head. Seems obvious when you think about it, but when you are put into a situation, how much of your head are you using? If you do, how effectively?

Very true. It's very hard to keep focused on thinking instead of just knee jerking in the heat of it, especially coming from a twitch shooter like CoD. Like you say it's the focused thought that separates players. I need to learn to get less agitated and more relaxed too, that should help in making smarter choices.

On a different note, yet another example of why I'm convinced they broke MM recently, now that they fixed their EU server issues.

Platinum guy, Gold 1, and people in ranking with many games under their belt.

Matched against Gold 1, Gold 1, Silver 4 and a guy who hasn't played a single game before.

Game was an absolute bloodbath, I didn't even manage to get to a positive KD. I'm generally fine playing against low Plats, but here the situation just got to me and I crumbled with the rest of the team.

They really need to rethink the ranking system in the low ranks.

vUqZJ8K.jpg

Ade

How much different is that from the kinetic rounds attachment? I forgot what the name is, but isn't there an attachment that does that already? I dunno, hence I ask.

KnightBlade is melee, kinetic bolts upgrades your bullets.,

Think of it as the Anti Vehicle version of the existing Bayonet addon

JackHerer

So far I am still unsure how good Torque is. Need to play it some more. It doesn't seem to be as competetive as some of the launch maps like Truth, Coliseum, etc. but it's definitely decent.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So far Torque feels like a rat maze. I need to go into customs and learn it.

Also, been having a lot of matches where the top player is unranked and has barely played. People using alts maybe?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Also, been having a lot of matches where the top player is unranked and has barely played. People using alts maybe?

Probably. Or just coming from Reach. Usually when I check Halo tracker in these cases it's the latter, they have thousands of games in other Halos. I don't know what the motivation for an alt would be, is anyone really that precious about stats?

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
So far Torque feels like a rat maze. I need to go into customs and learn it.

If you have a person that hasn't placed yet in your matches, that's telling what their division placement will be which would be what you are. Could be below or above you.

When I was doing my placement matches in arena, all of my placement matches were against high CSR onyxs and champions.

If that is not what you are talking about, then idk.

Probably. Or just coming from Reach. Usually when I check Halo tracker in these cases it's the latter, they have thousands of games in other Halos. I don't know what the motivation for an alt would be, is anyone really that precious about stats?

It is that. A person also can have an alt if they ranked so high on their main it takes awhile to find matches, but people that usually do this are not your average bunch. In most cases, it's just a person padding their stats since they can't do it on their main.

Ramirez

I still think the Prom/Covenant kill spreads are completely out of whack. The ranks should all be the same, finishing up Covenant, but needing 5K more Proms?! C'mon! lol

Not really related, but got a copy of Black Ops 3 for free so tried it out, despite people keep saying it is the best CoD in recent years it is still pale compared to what Halo 5 did..

Yeah I usually play COD over the latest Halo and I sold my copy of BO3 awhile ago.

Not sure if this is true but it feels like everyone just wanted to ape Titanfall and H5 did it right while keeping it "Halo."

IHaveIce

Banned
I wonder where all those prometheans are supposed to be that we shall kill. Even if you kill all prometheans on a Warzone map you won't get higher than 10-15 per game.. that is noting compared to those tiers

Top Bottom