• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Trup1aya

This is all I want.

Halo is different things to different people. halo2 shoehorned in (and out) plenty of things that folks felt didn't (and did) belong in the franchise.

Halo 3 did the same with equipment, and the clusterfuck of weapons balancing

Reach did it again with Loadouts and armor abilities

Halo 4 did it with everything (seriously wtf, halo4?)

Every game in this franchise is pretty different from the last, with 2&3 sharing the most similarities. It's the iconic setting, weaponry, and health model that hold it all together.

To me despite the movement options, Halo5 feels the most like classic halo thanks to the level playing feild and weapon balancing.

The whole Halo5 isn't Halo argument is just lazy at this point.

Madness

SC isn't a particularly game breaking issue, it's just really shitty and doesn't add anything to the game.

It's just a cheap move that has probably increased the amount of sprinting in the game far more than the health recharge delay was supposed to discourage it. Coupled with small corridor based maps and really low radar the only way to counteract SC is extreme situational awareness at all times. But even then it impacts other game modes like SWAT, Snipers etc.

Thoughts on the ground dash? I rarely see it used especially now that they got rid of that massive thrust dash jump.

I've had Halo 5 since late November last year, but haven't played too much. I recently started playing again and I'm having a blast right now, even if some of the armour unlock stuff if just a little annoying. The campaign is definitely one of the weakest in the series IMO, but the new gameplay features and multiplayer stuff certainly makes it a worthwhile purchase regardless. Thought I'd drop in here and say hi. I'm not the best at the game or anything, but I do it for fun and enjoyment. Forge is my life though, so I might share some stuff when I mess around with it.

Karl2177

Spartan Charge is just super inconsistent. I'd be more okay with Spartan Charge if it didn't stun the player getting attacked, because that's where most of the inconsistency lays. There's a handful of frames that you can do an action in without it queuing up. If you don't get certain actions(melee, thrust) in during those frames then it queues up all the actions, which usually results in a clusterfuck of actions after the stun finishes. I also believe that anytime you're taking player control away, you're doing it wrong.

Also I'm not a fan of anything where you have to hold a button now. It feels inconsistent when you just want to tap a button and there's a good half second delay where the game figures out if you were holding it or not. It's cool to have all these contextual actions, but when it affects how the game reacts, it's probably time to reevaluate how they work. Halo 4 had the problem with the Boltshot and Plasma Pistol. Now it affects the Plasma Pistol, Incineration Cannon, airborne melee, and the Plasma Caster. It's kinda a problem on the Railgun and the Laser, but that one is about when you release the trigger.

BraXzy

Been away for the weekend. Did I miss anything exciting?

First game back borked. I could move around but the server had gone, spooky. We SUPERHOT now.

link1201

I've had Halo 5 since late November last year, but haven't played too much. I recently started playing again and I'm having a blast right now, even if some of the armour unlock stuff if just a little annoying. The campaign is definitely one of the weakest in the series IMO, but the new gameplay features and multiplayer stuff certainly makes it a worthwhile purchase regardless. Thought I'd drop in here and say hi. I'm not the best at the game or anything, but I do it for fun and enjoyment. Forge is my life though, so I might share some stuff when I mess around with it.

I am amazed at what has been done in forge already. I wish I was creative but I do enjoying seeing what other people create.

I am amazed at what has been done in forge already. I wish I was creative but I do enjoying seeing what other people create.

I know, I've seen some pretty great stuff so far. I used to build a lot back in Halo: Reach, but I stopped with 4 since I didn't really enjoy the forge mode or the game as a whole in all honesty. But I'm liking 5 so far, and I'm getting used to all of the new features.

SC isn't a particularly game breaking issue, it's just really shitty and doesn't add anything to the game.
Feelings are mutual. I hate that it rewards people for blindly sprinting around. Its a dumb tactic that works far more often than it should. I'd be okay if it was removed personally.

Sou Da

Did people get fucked by a bunch of SCers lately?

It's incredibly easy to dodge and counter. The real gameplay mindset issue is how everyone just throws grenades at everything and I have to waste a thrust avoiding 2 teammate frags.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Noob combo as in...PP+BR headshot? It's not even close to being anything like that.

As in, quick reactive two hit kill, like PP&headshot are. Only things more powerful (one hit kills) are power weapons, assassinations, stucks and ground pounds. But the noob combo is trickier to pull off, and is limited by PP ammo. Whereas Spartan Charge + AR is a virtually unlimited gift, easier and quicker to pull off.

Ramirez

As in, quick reactive two hit kill, like PP&headshot are. Only things more powerful (one hit kills) are power weapons, assassinations, stucks and ground pounds. But the noob combo is trickier to pull off, and is limited by PP ammo. Whereas Spartan Charge + AR is a virtually unlimited gift.

Shooting someone with an AR, then sprinting towards them long enough to SC is a very long set of actions that is easily countered.

SC is only useful for closing the distance on someone that is unaware of you, and if you're dying to it from the front, then you're just not paying attention, TBH.

MaGlock

I've played like 4 to,5 days of this game and I must be doing Spartan charge wrong cause I only get them in unique situations. And rarely get killed by them

Madness

Remove Swatnums, add in Swatnums: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 BR Swat, DMR Swat and Light Rifle Swat pls

This. I mean there were rumblings of DMR SWAT months ago but still only see SWATnums and i see that far more often than I would like. Let's get all those kinds of variants in just to break up the monotony.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Shooting someone with an AR, then sprinting towards them long enough to SC is a very long set of actions that is easily countered.

SC is only useful for closing the distance on someone that is unaware of you, and if you're dying to it from the front, then you're just not paying attention, TBH.

Hmm maybe I'm mistaken but in a close encounter isn't TTK superior with SC+AR vs AR only?

Welfare

The only "noob combo" aspect of the SC is SC'ing into someone and then finishing them up with the AR/precision weapon. Problem is that when you do the SC, you can miss if the enemy trusts/jumps/moves out of the way, punishing you with the wind down for missing, and the opposing player can just as easily, thanks to the radar, react to you coming, put shots in you, and then finish you off.

Getting caught off guard can feel cheap, but that's with any aspect of Halo. With radar, SC isn't that much of an issue, and even if you get hit, you still have the option of running away or getting a reversal.

Also, say there was no radar and SC was removed. You still have the same "issue" in that out of nowhere an enemy can sprint, melee you, and then finish you off with either another melee or just getting a headshot.

Trup1aya

As in, quick reactive two hit kill, like PP&headshot are. Only things more powerful (one hit kills) are power weapons, assassinations, stucks and ground pounds. But the noob combo is trickier to pull off, and is limited by PP ammo. Whereas Spartan Charge + AR is a virtually unlimited gift, easier and quicker to pull off.

I don't think I've ever been killed by a SC+AR combo...

Trup1aya

Glad you're part of the minority.

I have, by players sprinting around corners while I was being negligent.

And being constantly careless like that is the only way I can even begin to understand the complaints about the Spartan Charge.

Yeah, I could sit it happening if I was sprinting aimlessly, but that would be my fault, not an issue with mechanics...

And being constantly careless like that is the only way I can even begin to understand the complaints about the Spartan Charge.
Spartan Charge is a super-lunged melee out of sprint. It should be pretty easy to understand complaints about it seeing as how sprinting into a double melee kill has been a complaint since Reach.

The aim assist on it also neglects half the thrusts I use to try to avoid it and the charge ends up following my thrust and hitting me anyway.

It's what some would call "e z mode", it's just a simple mindless ability that takes zero skill and has very low risk to it.

Enough with this "you're all just careless" stuff, good god.

Trup1aya

Spartan Charge is a super-lunged melee out of sprint. It should be pretty easy to understand complaints about it seeing as how sprinting into a double melee kill has been a complaint since Reach.

The aim assist on it also neglects half the thrusts I use to try to avoid it and the charge ends up following my thrust and hitting me anyway.

It's what some would call "e z mode", it's just a simple mindless ability that takes zero skill and has very low risk to it.

I dunno, sprinting as a form of offense is risky business in this game... You are completely hung out to dry until you charge, and then you are vulnerable again for a period of time...

I usually melee+headshot or ninja people that try to SC me. And honesty haven't seen many attempts in Arena accept against people who are already weak.

Thing is, the double melee in Reach was faster than a single Spartan Charge (you're locked into that animation now), so that's why people view it as a nerf to sprint -> melee. It's really not an issue at all if you're paying attention to your surroundings and not playing "e z mode" against players who want to kill you. And don't get me wrong, it's fine to casually play without caring much or putting a lot of thought to the match, but I think the SC is something that can easily be learned to avoid.

EDIT:
Wow, just played griffball. It was my first and last game. It's broken. The fact that they do not reset the players after a score breaks it. You have a team score, then already clearing the path for the next score all at the same time. I cant believe this was overlooked.

I would remove spartan abilities completely, force a player reset after each score and it would be fixed. Hell, just give me player reset after each score and that'll improve the game dramatically
So you played one and only one game of Grifball and think you have enough experience to not only complain about it, but suggest changes that'll improve it "dramatically?"

El. Oh. El.

Wow, just played griffball. It was my first and last game. It's broken. The fact that they do not reset the players after a score breaks it. You have a team score, then already clearing the path for the next score all at the same time. I cant believe this was overlooked.

I would remove spartan abilities completely, force a player reset after each score and it would be fixed. Hell, just give me player reset after each score and that'll improve the game dramatically

It has enormous risk. If they dodge out of the way or countermelee you're basically fucked. And if they just, you know, start shooting as soon as they see you, you're basically just as screwed.

Ramirez

It is being careless though, if you play the game properly, it's barely used at all against you in any successful manner.

Spawns were changed at the request of the griffball community IIRC. And TBH spartan abilities and the throw are the only reason I enjoy it in matchmaking, allows for some pretty clutch individual plays.

It's just a cheap move that has probably increased the amount of sprinting in the game far more than the health recharge delay was supposed to discourage it. Coupled with small corridor based maps and really low radar the only way to counteract SC is extreme situational awareness at all times. But even then it impacts other game modes like SWAT, Snipers etc.

Thoughts on the ground dash? I rarely see it used especially now that they got rid of that massive thrust dash jump.

I would love to see SC taken out of the game..It feels cheap.

It bothers me so much it keeps me from playing. Some of you might have some Halo honor but there are people in the game just sprinting and doing SC's, It adds NOTHING. Sprint + Assassinations are enough. The damage is inconsistent, I've been one hit killed with full shields and other times I recover depending on the connection. Basically through, the person getting hit doesn't recover fast enough to mount a defense. If they took it out, who would care really? Especially in Breakout, what is that shit doing in there?

You gotta be kidding...

crIHY.gif

Top Bottom