• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the things you listed is more about SWAT than Breakout mode.

There is no shield in Breakout, it's true. But the TTK in Halo is way longer than let's say CSGO, even without shield it takes something like three pistol headshot to kill someone. It makes a lot of things you listed invalide imo.

I fail to comprehend to this day why people try to compare Halo to CSGO or even make comparisons between the two. The games play completely differently and to use it for comparisons sake is silly.

You can escape grenade easily in Halo 5.

Last time I checked, grenades are dangerous in this game. If you could dodge them so "easily", they would not be so dangerous.

About the round thing : You just have to make good plays every rounds, what's the problem ? Of course you need to use team play, smart guess, good map controls to win in breakout. You even have to use them more since losing one pal = huge, huge disadvantage most of the time.

How can you have good map control in breakout when it is elimination? Right off spawn, if your teams gets the first pick and immediately play numbers. There is not enough time for map control to even be a thing.

I am going to use Truth CTF as an example for arena.

Halo is a game that is situational so not everything goes as plan, but I will give you hypothetical match of CTF.

When you play CTF on Truth. You are going to want to control camo and pink tower or carbine. In terms as to which would be better, it will be carbine for running the flag, but this depends on the situation. Let's say your team pulls camo and gets a pick. The moment a man goes down on the enemy team, your team should be pushing flag because the best time to always run flag is in the process of killing the enemy team. You don't want to wipe the enemy team, then get ready to run flag. That is stupid. You want to be out of that base with the flag as the enemy team is dying from a set up. So we have one guy from the enemy team dead and one or two members from your team is getting ready to pull flag. While this is happening the other members of your team should be ready for the flag run by controlling the spawns. If the flag guy is running carbine, the members should be at carbine in bubble to force enemy spawns in the base/pink side. Wherever those members set up, it is their job to tell flag guy where to run. You should not have the flag guy make the decision. This is something that is happening in the beginning of the game. Now let's change to other teams PoV.

Let's call this team blue team and the other red team to make this easier to follow. If the enemy is pulling your flag and you happen to be alive, your job should be to pull their flag. Halo is a game that is situational and sometimes being able to do that is not likely, but in terms as to what you should do it should be this. If you pull the enemies flag while they are in the process of running yours, you can try to sneak your way back to your base, or throw the flag where it can easily be spotted by your teammates and be nade spammed. When you have a member of your team do this in this particular situation, that's called making a play. Why? Because you are stopping the other team from scoring a point and are pulling their attention from a setup because you just pulled their flag. This also gives your team breathing room to make a push out of the setup.

In a matter of a minute, you have all of this happening. If this were to be a breakout match, it would consist of your team getting a solid push outside your spawn so no one dies. Then get a pick and capitalize at said pick. In a CTF game of truth you got a lot more going on than a breakout match.

And this is me being as simplistic as possible because a lot of things that happen is situational and it all depends on the situation. In breakout, numbers is the situation. The moment you are down numbers, you are at an immediate disadvantage. There is no coming back from that round. In a match of arena, the game can come to a halt, or speed up so fast that a match can be done in a matter of minutes. You do not get that with breakout in a competitive level.

Maybe it "sucks" as a competitive Halo game, but as a stand alone title, breakout mode would be beast. It's not just meant for Halo classical players, i guess.

What does this even mean?

TCKaos

What does this even mean?

I think he means that Breakout is a gametype for people that don't like to play Halo, and that people that enjoy Halo don't enjoy playing Breakout.

I agree with him on that front. As someone who enjoys Halo I can say that Breakout is pretty shitty.

Tawpgun

I think he means that Breakout is a gametype for people that don't like to play Halo, and that people that enjoy Halo don't enjoy playing Breakout.

I agree with him on that front. As someone who enjoys Halo I can say that Breakout is pretty shitty.
I'd agree with this.

It's also why I hate SWAT

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's with a slighly heavy heart that I leave the February season behind me. Got to just 35 kills shy from 1.0 K/D ratio in February (3,774K / 3,809D). Won 50% of games, and ended at a what seems a pretty much permanent Gold 1.

Although in January I passed 1.0 K/D, won 55% and got to Gold 6, there is no doubt in my mind that I am much better player now, and played better this month. I got twice the amount of Killing Frenzies, and my first Running Riot. I enjoy a lot playing with Golds and Plats. Silvers and Bronzes are not enjoyable.

Other players were much harder this month, I think the Xmas gifters are mostly out. My biggest learning of the month (thanks to the advice here) was to play slower - stop to think where to go, listen to my surroundings, resist the urge to revenge, and not head alone into unknown encounters. Basically, it's resisting that deep rooted CoD itch to twitch not think.

The game improved a lot too in February. They finally fixed the unfair EU player placements and games became largely low lag compared to January. My biggest wish for next month is that they fix the seemingly broken matchmaking, so that I never need to see an Onyx, Diamond or first time player.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
It's with a slighly heavy heart that I leave the February season behind me. Got to just 35 kills shy from 1.0 K/D ratio in February (3,774K / 3,809D). Won 50% of games, and ended at a what seems a pretty much permanent Gold 1.

Although in January I passed 1.0 K/D, won 55% and got to Gold 6, there is no doubt in my mind that I am much better player now, and played better this month. I got twice the amount of Killing Frenzies, and my first Running Riot. I enjoy a lot playing with Golds and Plats. Silvers and Bronzes are not enjoyable.

Other players were much harder this month, I think the Xmas gifters are mostly out. My biggest learning of the month (thanks to the advice here) was to play slower - stop to think where to go, listen to my surroundings, resist the urge to revenge, and not head alone into unknown encounters. Basically, it's resisting that deep rooted CoD itch to twitch not think.

Situational.

The game improved a lot too in February. They finally fixed the unfair EU player placements and games became largely low lag compared to January. My biggest wish fir next month is that they fix the seemingly broken matchmaking, so that I never need to see an Onyx, Diamond or first time player.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

I appreciate what 343 tried to do with Breakout. They tried to interject some of the faster, more stressful game play from Counter-Strike or Search and Destroy from the CoD games, but the whole thing doesn't really work in the Halo sandbox at high level play.

The biggest non secret in pro-level play is doing your best not to die, so naturally, when your out numbered, you're going to retreat back to your side of the map and hope for the enemy team to be dumb enough to come looking. In tournament play, waiting out for a tie is better than a loss, and that's where frustrations come into play.

It probably doesn't help that the Breakout maps are pretty linear too. That's why Arena Breakout plays a little better, but round-based elimination game types just aren't good for high-level Halo.

Doubt you guys care, but by tomorrow morning we will only need 9k grenade kills, 8k reversals and 3500ish first strikes. Still so far away from the helmet lol.

Nutter

Just setup a few more of those Urban spawn traps, you'll have the grenades in no time.

giphy.gif

It's insane. Much rather grind Inheritor than Achilles, anything that changes how you play the game shouldn't be put in.

Yeah the Reach grind was long, however you could play the game how you wanted. I mean you could get to Inheritor solely through PvE if you wanted to. I mean what if you're in a company that mainly plays Arena? You get fucked over because you can't get the Covie, Promethean, or that many vehicles kills.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Had a Warzone match end at a 1000-1000 Defeat on March on Stormbreak. The opposing team got the first Legendary in the Fortress but we were able to cap Fortress and hold onto it the whole match.

Game then went onto proceed to with the opposing team killing the second Legendary and then going back and forth capping East and West Armories and pretty much holding onto to them most of the match.

We got the Warden Eternal and capped East Armory and mounted a comeback till the screen went to 1000-1000 Defeat.

Intense match and I used Mission Victory XP. :( I would've taken a tie.

Did a hard reset AGAIN. Didn;t work. There's no point to resetting. It just works sometimes and doesn't other times.

Yeah the REQ station not loading is bull. Can really take the wind out of your sails. And it seems to happen to me way more often after this last update.

Tawpgun

Yeah fuck it. Was playing with Omlet, Nutter, Ram, Vivacious, Fat and Stelly.

Didn't work 2 games in a row. I just quit. Half the fun in Warzone is using cool shit.

And also we ran into a good group, but still. Shit sucks. Gonna play Rocket League

Didn't work 2 games in a row. I just quit. Half the fun in Warzone is using cool shit.

And also we ran into a good group, but still. Shit sucks. Gonna play Rocket League

I'm actually really curious why this happens to you so often. I've had it happen a couple times, mostly when Live is having issues, but it seems this is a regular occurrence for our resident Tawp.

BradC00

I've gotten so many bad teammates lately...so I try out FFA. god damn that shit is freaking wack. I just played on empire and everyone just rushed tower with SMGs.

p.s. there's cops outside my house searching some teenagers car. rofl.

IHaveIce

Banned

So you say you wanna make space in the company?
Kidding. :*

Don't know why it is so bad for you tbh, did you mention this in the user feedback poll? Mention it to someone who actually does stuff for the game? Hope you can get this sorted out.

Since the Jan update I haven't got that issue anymore.

im_dany

8-2 in breakout and only get plat 2...wtf

And I get diamond 1 for going 5-5 in arena

That's because for some reason you can't go too far from last season's ranks, even if you never played that season after the 10 placement matches and are now a much better player.

Kibbles

Just got matched against and beat Nutter, ExWife, and Vicious in Overtime Assault :3

I now know not to sleep on the storm rifle too, mann that thing is deadly.

My Feb 2016 report:
Plat 1 in Team Arena, 69 wins, 54 losses, 1.02 KD, for a month that I have to play on over 200ms lag for the good part of, I think I did pretty good, highest rank was midway Plat 4 too, good enough for me.

Top Bottom