• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Chittagong

Gold Member
Got banned for quitting once lol

I've quit twice in the last 100+ games, didn't get banned. So I guess the ban limit for quitting has to be once 40-50 games on average. But the penalty of losing 60% of a rank is so harsh I won't do it again.

In case I end up in another one of those "Onyx vs Gold" situations I'll just find a place to hide and tap the controller every few seconds to avoid being kicked (and banned), that way I wreck my KD less than actively playing.

Demise

Only community maps.
Breakout isn't popular, so isn't worth it

How is Breakout not popular ? Are players serious ? I know what taste means and that we all have ours, but damn : Breakout is intense, competitive, you have to think fast, it rewards teamplay the most... Damn, i'm disapointed. Damn, Halo players.

Release the same Breakout mode on PC, without the Halo brand and keep the mechanics intact + price tag 20€ : instant hit, I'm sure of it.

How is Breakout not popular ? Are players serious ? I know what taste means and that we all have ours, but damn : Breakout is intense, competitive, you have to think fast, it rewards teamplay the most... Damn, i'm disapointed. Damn, Halo players.

Release the same Breakout mode on PC, without the Halo brand and keep the mechanics intact + price tag 20€ : instant hit, I'm sure of it.

It evolves to people camping corners if they are the last ones alive or ties with 1v1 and noone engages. Its really boring now.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

Lol no

tootsi666

Halo gun mechanics don't really translate to elimination modes. It would be even worse on PC because every gun would be too easy to use

It evolves to people camping corners if they are the last ones alive or ties with 1v1 and noone engages. Its really boring now.

Not to mention you can tie even if you're outnumbered (fucking stupid), and half the deaths happen in the first 15-20 seconds from grenades or initial pushes. It's incredibly boring to spectate. Other than opening strats, there's no real strategy other than "get the first shot or hide". Not to mention that the slightest inconsistency due to latency or whatever for online play makes it a joke and each engagement essentially a coinflip.

The gametype is poop, straight up.

Not to mention you can tie even if you're outnumbered (fucking stupid), and half the deaths happen in the first 15-20 seconds from grenades or initial pushes. It's incredibly boring to spectate. Other than opening strats, there's no real strategy other than "get the first shot or hide". Not to mention that the slightest inconsistency due to latency or whatever for online play makes it a joke and each engagement essentially a coinflip.

The gametype is poop, straight up.

I honestly don't know why FATs makes us play it all the time.

Demise

I never touched a Halo in my whole life before playing the beta. I'm coming from Third strike and CSGO. I had a blast with breakout mode, same for all the people I know that touched it. None of them would have go as far as buying the whole game just for breakout, only I did.

Of course Halo players hate it, for reason I don't know hence why I'm speaking about it releasing it without the Halo brand.

The whole online concept of Halo resolve in people camping and holding their position until someone is tired of it. I learned to play Halo 2 after discover the franchise with 5's beta, spent a lot of time watching top players : It's an ode to campfest and it's regarded as being the best multi experience in the franchise, isn't it ? (I'm asking seriousely, that's not sarcasm).

Ramirez

I think it's quite easy underestimate how disgustingly unsportsmanlike Members of a games community can strive to be.

Blaming 343 because you did this, is like blaming MS because some kids choose to DDOS. some people just want to watch the world burn.

Granted the attack spawns on this map are terrible... a decent amount of thought went into setting up this trap.

Yea, I wasn't going to say anything, but I've played a lot of Urban and even been spawn camped once or twice. But to set something that elaborate up isn't something 99% of the population would even think to do, or want to do, lol.

^^ lol

Fuchsdh

I never touched a Halo in my whole life before playing the beta. I'm coming from Third strike and CSGO. I had a blast with breakout mode, same for all the people I know that touched it. None of them would have go as far as buying the whole game just for breakout, only I did.

I think that's just it, it's a different mindset, same way CoD players and Halo players are different in what they want. For me, Gun game + Elimination are the only two things I ever really liked about CS, we got the former via mods in Halo 4 and we got the latter with Breakout. I think Arena Breakout was better than the standard game type just because I knew exactly how much damage was needed. A shame it doesn't have more of an interest.

I'm not really sure what you could do about solving the spectating issue other than reducing grenade counts to avoid probing and having smaller maps with shorter rounds.

Trup1aya

Philosophically speaking is it the game's responsibility to provide an adequate experience or should it be up to the opposing players as to whether or not you have fun?

Following from that, if it is in some way the responsibility of your opponents to ensure that you enjoy yourself, are they then morally obligated to lose so that you may enjoy yourself and, by the same token, are you also morally obligated to lose and/or purposefully downplay your own abilities for the enjoyment of your opponents?

I say that since I paid $60 for the game and god knows how much for the REQ points that it should probably be 343's responsibility to ensure that the game is enjoyable for my opponents, not mine. I'm not paying to babysit, I'm paying to spawn thirty scout hogs in the fortress and run over people that aren't paying attention.

Bullshit. Fucking bullshit.

When did I suggest it was any players Responsibilty to ensure the other teams enjoyment? Please don't downplay the situation with the insistence that this is simply about winning and losing. This is about a team of experienced players taking the time to learn the spawn system, simply so that they can execute a well coordinated, 3 step process to manipulate it in a way such that they can grenade their opponents for 6 minutes straight. It was fucking elavorate.

No you aren't morally obligated to do anything. You can run in circles for 6minutes if you want to. But It's impossible for any developer anticipate every single exploit or imbalance that some assholes will try to uncover for the sole purpose of playing outside of the spirit of the game at the expense of others.

Is expecting sportsmanship from other human beings unreasonable? Do they still teach that at home?

A guy could go to a park right now, and join a pick up game of football and instead of throwing it to a receiver, run off and throw it into a lake intentionally. Now is it the landscapers fault that He's a fucking asshole?

I hate you

image.php

Demise

Bullshit. Fucking bullshit.

When did I suggest it was any players Responsibilty to ensure the other teams enjoyment? Please don't downplay the situation with the insistence that this is simply about winning and losing. This is about a team of experienced players taking the time to learn the spawn system, simply so that they can execute a well coordinated, 3 step process to manipulate it in a way such that they can grenade their opponents for 6 minutes straight.

No you aren't morally obligated to do anything. You can run in circles for 6minutes if you want to. But It's impossible for any developer anticipate every single exploit or imbalance that some assholes will try to uncover for the sole purpose of playing outside of the spirit of the game at the expense of others.

Is expecting sportsmanship from other human beings unreasonable? Do they still teach that at home?

A guy could go to a park right now, and join a pick up game of football and instead of throwing it to a receiver, run off and throw it into a lake intentionally. Now is it the landscapers fault that I'm a fucking asshole?

I'm sure you could have write the same thing without using expression like "fucking bullshit". We're all gaf brothers, stay cool.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

Of course Halo players hate it, for reason I don't know hence why I'm speaking about it releasing it without the Halo brand.

The whole online concept of Halo resolve in people camping and holding their position until someone is tired of it. I learned to play Halo 2 after discover the franchise with 5's beta, spent a lot of time watching top players : It's an ode to campfest and it's regarded as being the best multi experience in the franchise, isn't it ? (I'm asking seriousely, that's not sarcasm).

Breakout is terrible for competitive Halo. Why? Because...

---no shields
---SMG start means you can spray n pray your way to victory
---no map control cause all you have to do is play numbers once you get a pick
---the beginning of your round is the most important because it all depends who gets the first pick
---after you get said pick, you play numbers and be aggressive
---breakout offers no opportunity to make plays
---NO SHIELDS and since you start with SMG, you can pretty much out DPS that pistol.
---in result of no shields, you see very little gun skill in play because it comes down to whoever got the first shot.
---since no shields, it forces players to be passive
---because it comes down to whoever got first shot, it limits the plays that can be made
---since breakout is round oriented, things such as map control and weapon control do not exist and in result hinder the plays you can make
---since breakout is elimination, some people will camp and just listen for footsteps (keep that shit for cod)
---a lucky grenade can ruin your day
---breakout is terrible
---Halo is not made for elimination
---breakout sucks

There is probably more I can list, but ehh

tootsi666

Having both high health and regenerative health in an elimination mide is just asking for trouble. You almost never have to commit to a 1v1 gun fight in Breakout compared to CoD S&D or CS and it's impossible to win 1v2 engagements even with superior positioning.

Trup1aya

I'm sure you could have write the same thing without using expression like "fucking bullshit". We're all gaf brothers, stay cool.

I'm cool. I don't see the issue with calling it like I see it, though...

That's what the clip was, and any attempt to defend it or blame anyone other than the perpetrators

Chittagong

Gold Member
Did I miss the season change? All the other players in my match were in ranking without a medal, but some 300+ games players. I am still on my Feb rank

jem0208

IThe whole online concept of Halo resolve in people camping and holding their position until someone is tired of it. I learned to play Halo 2 after discover the franchise with 5's beta, spent a lot of time watching top players : It's an ode to campfest and it's regarded as being the best multi experience in the franchise, isn't it ? (I'm asking seriousely, that's not sarcasm).

Ehhh, that depends on which Halo you look at, how the maps are designed and what gametype you're playing.

Halo CE is definitely not a campfest. It's design revolves heavily around power weapons and power positions. In CE the power weapons are usually placed in poor positions which spawn on a regular cycle, forcing players to rotate from power positions to weapons and back on a regular basis.

Halo 2 has a bit more of a setup focus (ie: what could be described as a "campfest"). Maps like Lockout largely involve teams setting up in a power position and the other team attempting to break said position. Weapons spawn more slowly and are often placed closer to their ideal power position. Dynamic spawn timers were also used for power weapons which meant that once one team grabbed a weapon they had a large amount of control over when it next spawned causing a bit of a snowball effect.

Halo 5 is a bit more of a mix. The Rig for example is very setup heavy, teams take control of inside and attempt to get picks whilst trying to prevent the enemy from breaking their setup (it's also a reason why The Rig isn't that great for slayer). Something like Coliseum involves a lot more rotation due to the dangerous positions in which rockets spawn and the symmetrical nature of the map.

Demise

---no shields
---the beginning of your round is the most important because it all depends who gets the first pick
---NO SHIELDS and since you start with SMG, you can pretty much out DPS that pistol.
---in result of no shields, you see very little gun skill in play because it comes down to whoever got the first shot.
---because it comes down to whoever got first shot, it limits the plays that can be made
---since breakout is round oriented, things such as map control and weapon control do not exist and in result hinder the plays you can make
---since breakout is elimination, some people will camp and just listen for footsteps (keep that shit for cod)
---breakout is terrible
---breakout sucks

A lot of the things you listed is more about SWAT than Breakout mode.

There is no shield in Breakout, it's true. But the TTK in Halo is way longer than let's say CSGO, even without shield it takes something like three pistol headshot to kill someone. It makes a lot of things you listed invalide imo.

You can escape grenade easily in Halo 5.

About the round thing : You just have to make good plays every rounds, what's the problem ? Of course you need to use team play, smart guess, good map controls to win in breakout. You even have to use them more since losing one pal = huge, huge disadvantage most of the time.

Maybe it "sucks" as a competitive Halo game, but as a stand alone title, breakout mode would be beast. It's not just meant for Halo classical players, i guess.

Trup1aya

A lot of the things you listed is more about SWAT than Breakout mode.

There is no shield in Breakout, it's true. But the TTK in Halo is way longer than let's say CSGO, even without shield it takes something like three pistol headshot to kill someone. It makes a lot of things you listed invalide imo.

You can escape grenade easily in Halo 5.

About the round thing : You just have to make good plays every rounds, what's the problem ? Of course you need to use team play, smart guess, good map controls to win in breakout. You even have to use them more since losing one pal = huge, huge disadvantage most of the time.

Maybe it "sucks" as a competitive Halo game, but as a stand alone title, breakout mode would be beast. It's not just meant for Halo classical players, i guess.

I think there was too much randomness at play in Breakout.

There were some really great professional matches, that came down to running great plays.

But there were plenty others that devolved into games of hide and seek. There were also plenty to boild down to a random play call that happened to be favorable against the other teams random play call. There were also plenty that came down to lucky randoms grenade throws.

---no shields
---breakout is terrible
---breakout sucks

I agree that breakout is bad for competition. There is nothing to follow. Rounds are over before they get started. No shields means no incentive to try and make plays as you already mentioned. However I do think elimination games with normal settings might work, and only if it's not round based. Instead players need to have an allotment of lives (say 5) and the breakout maps might actually be quite conducive to the mode.

Mdot

I'm still getting the same bullshit issues from last night. No playlist ranks, SR at 1, no service record stats. Anybody still having issues?

Top Bottom