• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I just don't want to get new hardware that quickly, though. Honestly while there were downsides (and in comparison the new consoles aren't as powerful as last gen) I appreciated that the lifespan lasted 8 solid years.

I feel like consoles are becoming more like PCs, and that begs the question of why to get a console then. The standard locked specs and not having to piecemeal upgrade your rigs are part of the positive aspects of the system.

With regards to Halo though I'd completely be fine with them having a single MP experience and just continue to iterate on it with new maps and campaigns as opposed to a new full game each time.

I dont think consoles are becoming pcs, they are just evoling to what masses want. We are all subconsciously wanting things now, instantly. Think about everything and how humans consume entertainment. Games are no different. We cant hold them to a high pedestal and expect them to not require to keep up with expectations. So in all this relates directly to evolve how consoles play in the living room now. How can it evolve to become greater and more convenient for these people who always want the latest tech?

I mean I won't say no to better looking Halo, but I'll buy on PC, they get my money either way lol

I guess in the end it will depend on pricing right? Spend 400-500 on xbox or 600+ for pc? This is going to be interesting and the big factor i think.

what's this pulled from?

i wanna read the stuff before, and the stuff after what you quoted - and everything in between.

Gaming side has a lot of websites quoted from phil spencer. Most notably sites like eurogamer and ign. I dont know that othet place that begins with a p. :p

I think it's important to understand that the you wouldn't HAVE to upgrade your hardware in order to play the lastest games. Thanks to standardized UWA development, there would be tons of forward and backward compatibility. And developers would still have a limited set of hardware to target.

I'd be all for it. That's pretty much how often we get new Halo's anyway. The knowledge that I can make my halo prettier would be enticing especially since i'd know the playerbase would span both versions of the console.

Yeah id be for it too. Ive been spoiled with other entertainment avenues always pushing thr latsst stuff now now now. And well.. They got me. I want a 4k asap and they have some in my range yhat are hdr compat. Hi sony 850c. What if they could get halo at 4k 60fps? Lol mmmm

I would be all over this. I already play games more on Xbox than PC due to my friends and not dealing with PC issues. If I could get new hardware along with halo (or a new Halo campaign with an expansion to Halo multiplayer) every 3-4 years I would be all over playing multiplatform games there too.

Yeah you answered what id hoped someone would say. I think they have to be really careful on how they communicate the next hardware and software reasons of why to own the xbox experience. Were basically sold already because of halo, but if they put that icing on the cake for us fans for each new xbox... I cant deny id buy each one where the upgrade is noticeable.

To add; i cant wait for more info to come out about this. It might be nothing and im just hyping myself on a pipe dream of possibilities.

Trup1aya

I just want to know why I was placed in plat 1 in December when I was playing like absolute garbage. I've been getting better every single month since then and my ranking doesn't reflect the improvement.

December: Plat 1 - I played horribly but somehow get ranked un plat 1. didn't play many more ranked games after placing because I was really rusty and not used to Halo 5's new mechanics.
January: Gold 4 - only played a few ranked games after placing but definitely played better than when I placed plat 1.
February: Gold 1 - I played really well these placement games and won all but maybe 1 or 2 matches. Get placed gold 1? Okay whatever so i worked up to gold 6 because people said the system takes into account your previous placement only to get to...
March: Gold 3 - yeah wtf

So what is it? If I do well in my placement games the reasoning for my placement becomes that my competition was bad. If the system takes into consideration my previous place then it should definitely see that I at least put in some effort to go from gold 1 to gold 6. Now that I've been put at gold 3 the reasoning is that more people are playing better than me. Um yeah I'm not buying it. I'm not amazing but im far from sucking. And my stats show nothing but constant improvement. Moral of the story is apparently don't bother trying unless you have a lot of time to play and or teammates to play with.

I get that a lot of people don't like looking at the K/D Stat but it does show significant improvement for myself over 3 months of playing.
s3fi6OZ.jpg

K/d isn't the end all be all of stats. You could hide for most of a match and get a positive k/d

It's more about damage dealt.

I just want to know why I was placed in plat 1 in December when I was playing like absolute garbage. I've been getting better every single month since then and my ranking doesn't reflect the improvement.

December: Plat 1 - I played horribly but somehow get ranked un plat 1. didn't play many more ranked games after placing because I was really rusty and not used to Halo 5's new mechanics.
January: Gold 4 - only played a few ranked games after placing but definitely played better than when I placed plat 1.
February: Gold 1 - I played really well these placement games and won all but maybe 1 or 2 matches. Get placed gold 1? Okay whatever so i worked up to gold 6 because people said the system takes into account your previous placement only to get to...

So what is it? If I do well in my placement games the reasoning for my placement becomes that my competition was bad. If the system takes into consideration my previous place then it should definitely see that I at least put in some effort to go from gold 1 to gold 6. Now that I've been put at gold 3 the reasoning is that more people are playing better than me. Um yeah I'm not buying it. I'm not amazing but im far from sucking. And my stats show nothing but constant improvement. Moral of the story is apparently don't bother trying unless you have a lot of time to play and or teammates to play with.

I get that a lot of people don't like looking at the K/D Stat but it does show significant improvement for myself over 3 months of playing.
s3fi6OZ.jpg

If you are playing solo and solo only, forget about rank especially below Plat because moving up is a NIGHTMARE.

Scooby

I think my MMR is too high I can't ever find games searching solo in Slayer, FFA, or breakout. I really just want to play FFA though I miss my Champion :(

Loomba

So for the Achilles armour I think the commendations we actually need to consciously try and get is Deconstructed (Kill Promethans) and Road Trip (Kill Spartans with ground vehicle).

In the last 24 hours we have gotten 354 Promethan kills and 289 ground vehicle kills.

So from a rough estimate, we will get the Achilles armour in ~12 days.

But realistically it'll be about 10 considering weekends will give us more kills.

I think we should lock the Spartan Company roster until after we get the armour tbh, I'd hate anyone getting kicked now if they have been in the SC for a while and so soon after a recent weekend purge that was just done.

s3fi6OZ.jpg

I started in platinum 1 in TS and got demoted to Gold 4 in the December season (I think, not 100% sure about the exact rank) and Gold 6 (again, I think that was it!) last season. This season I'm getting placement matches against mid Golds and have so far went:
21 - 8
19 - 6
19 - 7
22 - 10
... without really trying hard at all (I got quite a lot of progress on my promethean commendations). I figure the reason the ranking system does this is probably that I don't really play after my placement matches since I just move on to TA and BTB for my Arena games, and the CSR required to be a certain rank changes over time as the population changes, so my old (probably still platinum in pre-season) CSR is now mid-Gold and since I don't play much the system does not have time to correct for that (since I solo so my win/lose does not necessarily reflect my K/D). Not sure if your situation is similar, but my feeling is a lot of it just boils down to the ranking system requiring a fair amount of statistics to figure out individual skill from team games, and the population changing over time.

singhr1

HaloGAF, are we ever going to have our own tournament? If not, why not? If yes, shall we try and organise it?

What player count did you have in mind, 1v1? 2v2? 4v4?

K/d isn't the end all be all of stats. You could hide for most of a match and get a positive k/d

It's more about damage dealt.

Yup, but staying alive and not giving up kills is an important skill. KDA is better for that because you might not be the one on your team cleaning up kills.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think 4 v 4 surely?
Randomized teams? Picked teams? EU vs NA? Mixed?

We tried it once theree is a lot of hassle to set up a tourney for this. And I doubt anyone on here can beat the team where Bread or Doge are in.
Or the TJ team, think randomized teams is the only way to make it interesting.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's not nearly that bad; that method for measuring is wrong since it will include over 100 emblems only unlocked by commendations.

Use this to figure out how many Silvers left you need.

(Make a Copy of this file, and edit it in your own google drive)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7MU84e3QB_-TOViE3QYJN1ywM/edit#gid=1535284175

Phew, I wasted most of my morning in the office to enter all the data.

Amazing tool. So I still need 2,740,000 REQ points, which at 1,500 REQ points per match comes up to 1,826 matches to play. I've played 726 games in Dec and Feb (travelling in January), so I should be done with my REQ packs by end of Summer

The good news is that I only need 900,000 to complete Silvers, or 600 games, which I can get in the next two months.

Quite the grind, but I love the game so I don't mind.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If you are playing solo and solo only, forget about rank especially below Plat because moving up is a NIGHTMARE.

This is relevant to me. Can you elaborate a little please?

I'm assuming that you mean that moving up below Plat is a nightmare because you'll often get stuck total garbage team members who you can't simply carry to victory?

That's certainly what happened in my placement games, I got stuck with team mates who sank the game time and again. I had a sub-1 K/D ratio in only two of the games I lost:

Defeat 7 - 50-20 - Best of losing team - 13K 11D - 1.18
Defeat 6 - 50-31 - Best of losing team - 15K 13D - 1.15
Defeat 5 - 50-40 - 2nd best of losing team - 13K 12D - 1.08
Defeat 4 - 50-29 - Best of losing team - 13K 13D - 1.00
Defeat 3 - 50-39 - 3rd best of losing team - 6K 11D - 0.55
Defeat 2 - 50-43 - 2nd best of losing team - 10K 13D - 0.77
Defeat 1 - 50-27 - 2nd best of losing team - 10K 10D - 1.00

IHaveIce

Banned
The reach tournament we did was great. The best team definitely won ;)
Was that ever finished? I know my team never played.

Edit: I'm also for rabdomized teams with a rank pattern, so no only onyx and only gold teams exist.

Also I want to team with elzar, so I can blame him everytime

This is relevant to me. Can you elaborate a little please?

I'm assuming that you mean that moving up below Plat is a nightmare because you'll often get stuck total garbage team members who you can't simply carry to victory?

That's certainly what happened in my placement games, I got stuck with team mates who sank the game time and again. I had a sub-1 K/D ratio in only two of the games I lost:

Defeat 7 - 50-20 - Best of losing team - 13K 11D - 1.18
Defeat 6 - 50-31 - Best of losing team - 15K 13D - 1.15
Defeat 5 - 50-40 - 2nd best of losing team - 13K 12D - 1.08
Defeat 4 - 50-29 - Best of losing team - 13K 13D - 1.00
Defeat 3 - 50-39 - 3rd best of losing team - 6K 11D - 0.55
Defeat 2 - 50-43 - 2nd best of losing team - 10K 13D - 0.77
Defeat 1 - 50-27 - 2nd best of losing team - 10K 10D - 1.00

It took me two seasons, about 350-400 games to move up to Plat, problem when going solo is, that it is almost guaranteed your games will be highly consistent, especially in Team Arena where you can't carry your team in objective game types, since most of the time the rank gain from a win and the loss from a loss is largely the same, it is purely by luck to actually advance your rank.

Tawpgun

The reach tournament we did was great. The best team definitely won ;)
Which one was this?

I remember the big ass community tourney Duncan and hitmonchan helped organize. A neogaf brainchild.

That was really awesome, seeing a bunch of different halo communities compete against each other.

soooo, sorry if this is a little late for everyone who spent hours entering data into a spreadsheet to see how many reqs are left.

getreqt.com.

just login and it tells you how many of each pack you have left and what you havent unlocked.

Okay, so yeah, I agree random teams.

If we can put everyones names in a hat, I'll see if I can get the ball rolling on this. I know kittens (RIP) wanted to see a HaloGAF tournament, and I would too.

im_dany

soooo, sorry if this is a little late for everyone who spent hours entering data into a spreadsheet to see how many reqs are left.

getreqt.com.

just login and it tells you how many of each pack you have left and what you havent unlocked.

Does it really ask for your Xbox Live account data? Nothx

IHaveIce

Banned
Okay, so yeah, I agree random teams.

If we can put everyones names in a hat, I'll see if I can get the ball rolling on this. I know kittens (RIP) wanted to see a HaloGAF tournament, and I would too.
I would love it aswell; just wanted to make clear it will be quite the work, I'm ready to help though.

Edit: yo guys don't use that site.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It took me two seasons, about 350-400 games to move up to Plat, problem when going solo is, that it is almost guaranteed your games will be highly consistent, especially in Team Arena where you can't carry your team in objective game types, since most of the time the rank gain from a win and the loss from a loss is largely the same, it is purely by luck to actually advance your rank.

I guess the counter argument for this would be that statistically over many games you are supposed to get stuck with garbage team mates as often as the enemy is, and thus your progress is still a reflection for your skill only.

I have found that this is not true, however.

I had the feeling that I really got stuck with bad team mates, and ended up carrying the losing team more often that I sank the team.

So I went back and looked at my last 50 losses in slayer, and how I ranked within the losing team:

1 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
2 IIIIIIIIIIIII 26%
3 IIIIIIIIIIIII 26%
4 IIIIIII 14%

So in 86% of my losing games I was stuck with at least one person worse than me. That figure should statistically be 75%. Looking at these figures it's actually a miracle I manage to still stay above 50% Win/Loss ratio.

This makes ranking up solo on sub-Plat ranks - like you say - a nightmare.

Ran into Fats this morning in a couple of Warzone Assault matches. Killed him about 5 times. Great way to start a day.

;)

Should have recorded it, and then sent those clips to the halo montage for ultimate shame. I think i will send my ground pound i did on Forerunner the match i was against him :p.

jk

I guess the counter argument for this would be that statistically over many games you are supposed to get stuck with garbage team mates as often as the enemy is, and thus your progress is still a reflection for your skill only.

I have found that this is not true, however.

I had the feeling that I really got stuck with bad team mates, and ended up carrying the losing team more often that I sank the team.

So I went back and looked at my last 50 losses in slayer, and how I ranked within the losing team:

1 IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 34%
2 IIIIIIIIIIIII 26%
3 IIIIIIIIIIIII 26%
4 IIIIIII 14%

So in 86% of my losing games I was stuck with at least one person worse than me. That figure should statistically be 75%. Looking at these figures it's actually a miracle I manage to still stay above 50% Win/Loss ratio.

This makes ranking up solo on sub-Plat ranks - like you say - a nightmare.

Yes as long as you stick to the grind and finish your games you will eventually move up, just like I did, but the process is painfully long. Solo experience is better at high Plat and Diamond since players at that skill level generally are better at both the game and communication, till Onyx where a team is pretty much needed to win.

I would love it aswell; just wanted to make clear it will be quite the work, I'm ready to help though.

I'm a sucker for hard work.

So I would suggest that anyone wanting to play in a HaloGAF 4v4 tournament must have an active NeoGAF account and provide gamertag, timezone and arena ranks for the last few seasons (since launch basically)

I suppose I should setup an onlne spreadsheet type thing.

NOKYARD

getreqt.com.

Wow! Another free XBL password stealing app.

Didn't see the 2nd tweet earlier, but good news:

1bVkOTe.png
Why did he tag me in that? Am i on a betrayal Leaderboard or something? Must be it.

Top Bottom