• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
There is no reason to try to get ranked high, hell the higher ranked you get the longer the queue times. Congratulations, you made it to Champion. You know what you get? Nothing, just higher wait times and your rank gets reset in a month anyways. Sometimes it just seems like ranks were thrown in to make people happy and that’s it. The only reason to try and to rank up is the drive to get better. However, I don’t see it. I’ve seen Diamonds play like they’re Gold and Plats play like a high ranked Onyx.

You still find matches relatively fast as a champion. I didn't have this problem, and I didn't have this problem searching with a friend when he was below 30 champion. Obviously if you get any lower, then yea, there are problems queueing up matches. But the moment you reach champion, that doesn't hinder the process. You would have to be really high CSR and be searching with a team of 4 high CSR group to even run into this problem.

First, a big thanks to all of you for not biting my head off. My post last night was in angst and it was responded to with constructive feedback - and I really appreciate it. Gaf has mercy! Ultimately, my desire to get ranked back into plat is simply because I want to be where the the majority of gaf sc is at, which is plat or higher. Ranks are not the biggest deal, but I do take pleasure from the little things like moving up in a rank since I play solo all the time.
Gold 3 to Plat 1 isn't that big of a difference...
I hear ya, but for me it kind of is a big difference. I play solo, and my time I get to play is very limited. Moving up 3 tiers in gold solo is not as simple as jumping online with some friends and ranking up in a few hours of grind time.
K/d isn't the end all be all of stats. You could hide for most of a match and get a positive k/d

It's more about damage dealt.
Only I don't hide. In fact, I'm a bit too aggressive, similar to what Forerunner posted a while back. I have the same tendencies to push forward because i assume at least a teammate or two are with me. Like if people roll with me in a game, they'll generally get a lot of kills because i'm the ultimate assist master... And I've seen people say it's more about damage dealt and that statistic kind of bothers me. I'll have games where I do really well and somehow have the least damage dealt out of both teams. Which I'd think means I'm more efficient, but who knows.
If you are playing solo and solo only, forget about rank especially below Plat because moving up is a NIGHTMARE.
This so much it hurts lol.

Regardless, now that I know what to expect from the ranking system, which is absolutely nothing lol, I think I'll be more chill this season and just accept everything as is. Which means less complaining on here too!

Ramirez

I hear ya, but for me it kind of is a big difference. I play solo, and my time I get to play is very limited. Moving up 3 tiers in gold solo is not as simple as jumping online with some friends and ranking up in a few hours of grind time.

What I'm saying is, within the ranking system, that's just 3 ranks, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for you to rank there legitimately.

Just play and enjoy the game. I placed in Diamond 2 in TA, and I've placed in Onyx every other season. I got my shit pushed in all night last night too, and remain in D2. It's not that big of a deal.

Wait, so you're ranked in arena on the amount wins you get and not how well you do in game? That seems kinda fucked. Really sucks when you're playing well but have been grouped with a bunch of jackasses.

Ramirez

Wait, so you're ranked in arena on the amount wins you get and not how well you do in game? That seems kinda fucked. Really sucks when you're playing well but have been grouped with a bunch of jackasses.

No, it takes into account a lot of different factors. Wins/Losses are all that matters AFTER you've been placed.

Also, a suggestion on a tournament would be doubles. Organizing 8 people on at the same time, especially if you do random teams will never happen.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Only I don't hide. In fact, I'm a bit too aggressive, similar to what Forerunner posted a while back. I have the same tendencies to push forward because i assume at least a teammate or two are with me. Like if people roll with me in a game, they'll generally get a lot of kills because i'm the ultimate assist master... And I've seen people say it's more about damage dealt and that statistic kind of bothers me. I'll have games where I do really well and somehow have the least damage dealt out of both teams. Which I'd think means I'm more efficient, but who knows.

This so much it hurts lol.

Regardless, now that I know what to expect from the ranking system, which is absolutely nothing lol, I think I'll be more chill this season and just accept everything as is. Which means less complaining on here too!

No it doesn't. If you are getting the lowest damage on your team it means your positioning needs a lot of work. If your positioning needs work, then that means you can't efficiently listen to call outs and respond to them accordingly.

What I'm saying is, within the ranking system, that's just 3 ranks, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for you to rank there legitimately.

Just play and enjoy the game. I placed in Diamond 2 in TA, and I've placed in Onyx every other season. I got my shit pushed in all night last night too, and remain in D2. It's not that big of a deal.
Yeah I'm just going to approach future game sessions with a more relaxed attitude.

So completely OT, i've been on vacation for over a week now and didn't think I was supposed to go back until Friday. I wake up after 9 this morning to several text messages and missed phone calls wondering where i was at. Apparently the schedule changed without my knowing and I was supposed to be at work at 7... Nearly gave me a heart attack when I got up. Got to work at around 10 though and everything is fine. Bosses were super cool about it.

No, it takes into account a lot of different factors. Wins/Losses are all that matters AFTER you've been placed.

Also, a suggestion on a tournament would be doubles. Organizing 8 people on at the same time, especially if you do random teams will never happen.

Ah, thanks for the extra information. That'll help keep my frustration down then. Still, even after you've been placed that kinda sucks. Seems like there's more incentive to stop playing once you've ranked high so that getting placed on a bad team won't hurt your CSR.

No it doesn't. If you are getting the lowest damage on your team it means your positioning needs a lot of work. If your positioning needs work, then that means you can't efficiently listen to call outs and respond to them accordingly.
Even if I'm in the top 2-3 kills and least deaths? I'm not saying it's all the time, but I notice it quite a bit. And when i do get lower damage dealt, it's almost always associated with a team win and good personal stats with the exception of the amount of damage. Beats the shit out of putting in most damage, having uber stats and still losing.

The other thing too, when i play I routinely have to go without sound - probably 50% of my games. it's a massive handicap (believe me i know) but there's nothing to do about it. So sometimes i can't hear anything, let alone call outs lol.

Ramirez

Ah, thanks for the extra information. That'll help keep my frustration down then. Still, even after you've been placed that kinda sucks. Seems like there's more incentive to stop playing once you've ranked high so that getting placed on a bad team won't hurt your CSR.

Well you can't derank, and there's no special rewards for staying at a certain rank, kinda pointless to stop playing to preserve a rank.

I sometimes tune into some of my favorite podcasts while playing war zone, but arena demands your undivided attention.

And i love me some Arena. Those 1v1 engagements always give me a nice little smile. :)

Warzone is just pure mindless fun to me. Let's see if i can sneak with this camo. Let's see how many kills i can get with this rare needler. Stuff like that is cool with WZ. WZ is the best way to grind for REQ anyway.

And i love me some Arena. Those 1v1 engagements always give me a nice little smile. :)

Warzone is just pure mindless fun to me. Let's see if i can sneak with this camo. Let's see how many kills i can get with this rare needler. Stuff like that is cool with WZ. WZ is the best way to grind for REQ anyway.
How long does a regular wz match last as opposed to wz assault which can be done in 6 minutes if the attacking team fails? I haven't jumped into a regular wz match since last year, and I love wz assault for grinding req points.

Fuchsdh

How long does a regular wz match last as opposed to wz assault which can be done in 6 minutes if the attacking team fails? I haven't jumped into a regular wz match since last year, and I love wz assault for grinding req points.

Much longer than the average Assault game, let alone you cannot feasibly shut down the other team that easily and take their core. Assault is much better especially solo—if you lose it's fairly quick and painless, unless they're trying to farm you.*

*In which case I've usually seen players just stop engaging, because when suddenly it's "oh there's thirty seconds left and suddenly after stopping us short every time the base is empty" it's pretty clear what you're doing.

Much longer than the average Assault game, let alone you cannot feasibly shut down the other team that easily and take their core. Assault is much better especially solo—if you lose it's fairly quick and painless, unless they're trying to farm you.*

*In which case I've usually seen players just stop engaging, because when suddenly it's "oh there's thirty seconds left and suddenly after stopping us short every time the base is empty" it's pretty clear what you're doing.
That's what I figured, but I might jump into a wz game or two to help kill some prometheans if needed.

Karl2177

I think 4 v 4 surely?

That or 3v3, if you have to. Like Ram said, getting 8 people together is a nightmare.

Which one was this?

I remember the big ass community tourney Duncan and hitmonchan helped organize. A neogaf brainchild.

That was really awesome, seeing a bunch of different halo communities compete against each other.
He's talking the HaloGAF only tournament. The community tournament was awesome if it weren't for the fact that my dad was in a car accident and I was running around trying to figure out which hospital they were talking him to. It was literally just a sprain, but they sent him to 3 different hospitals.

The reach tournament we did was great. The best team definitely won ;)
We gave you the win. Y'all were out because shadow stopped responding and it came to a coin flip. My team even won the coin flip, but since none of us were playing Reach anymore we gave it to your team.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Even if I'm in the top 2-3 kills and least deaths? I'm not saying it's all the time, but I notice it quite a bit. And when i do get lower damage dealt, it's almost always associated with a team win and good personal stats with the exception of the amount of damage. Beats the shit out of putting in most damage, having uber stats and still losing.

The other thing too, when i play I routinely have to go without sound - probably 50% of my games. it's a massive handicap (believe me i know) but there's nothing to do about it. So sometimes i can't hear anything, let alone call outs lol.

I don't know how you play, but I will tell you what I think. You putting out the least amount of damage tells me you don't take the fight to the enemy. It tells me you are passive. You want to be initiating the encounters. Seeing as how you have least amount of damage, this tells me you do not do this. What this also tells me is your positioning needs a lot of work. In good positioning, you will be pumping damage. In bad positioning you will not be pumping any damage. This tells me there are moments in your game when you aren't even fighting the enemy. If you aren't fighting the enemy, you are not helping your team. You are not assisting your team. This is also tells me when you spawn, you probably have moments in which you don't know what your goal is.

This also tells me you lack awareness. A person that is aware is a person that is taking the fight to the enemy. To be aware is to listen to callouts and be mindful of your teams actions. Halo is a game that is situational so me putting this into words is difficult. The best I can tell you here is to be mindful of what your teammates are doing. I am placing BIG emphasis here.

Did you say you were aggressive? I cannot recall, but if you did, then this tells me you are bad kind of aggressive. In means you probably aren't choosing the correct times in which you should make the push. What are the correct times? I can't say because as I always say, Halo is situational. If you want to know how to be aggressive and how to do it properly. I suggest you watch Commonly when he streams.

Sure, if you win a game, it is a win. But I can tell you right now there is a lot you can do to improve on that win. Damage delt is an important stat. If anyone finds their damage too low, then there is something you have to work on.

My bad, i meant assualt. I rarely play reg warzone cause how long it may take sometimes.

I don't know how you play, but I will tell you what I think. You putting out the least amount of damage tells me you don't take the fight to the enemy. It tells me you are passive. You want to be initiating the encounters. Seeing as how you have least amount of damage, this tells me you do not do this. What this also tells me is your positioning needs a lot of work. In good positioning, you will be pumping damage. In bad positioning you will not be pumping any damage. This tells me there are moments in your game when you aren't even fighting the enemy. If you aren't fighting the enemy, you are not helping your team. You are not assisting your team. This is also tells me when you spawn, you probably have moments in which you don't know what your goal is.

This also tells me you lack awareness. A person that is aware is a person that is taking the fight to the enemy. To be aware is to listen to callouts and be mindful of your teams actions. Halo is a game that is situational so me putting this into words is difficult. The best I can tell you here is to be mindful of what your teammates are doing. I am placing BIG emphasis here.

Did you say you were aggressive? I cannot recall, but if you did, then this tells me you are bad kind of aggressive. In means you probably aren't choosing the correct times in which you should make the push. What are the correct times? I can't say because as I always say, Halo is situational. If you want to know how to be aggressive and how to do it properly. I suggest you watch Commonly when he streams.

Sure, if you win a game, it is a win. But I can tell you right now there is a lot you can do to improve on that win. Damage delt is an important stat. If anyone finds their damage too low, then there is something you have to work on.
Points taken and I will agree to disagree on a few things, but I understand you have to speculate on much of this since we've never played together. Again, lowest damage isn't a constant thing, but I've noticed that when it is low it's not all a bad thing like you suggest. Halo matches like you mention are highly circumstantial, so stats are going to fluctuate a lot. The only other thing I would say is that call outs in gold are a joke, but even in the rare game with people who talk, I'm unfortunately someone who can't always hear. I don't even know most callouts to be honest, and when watching HCS stuff on twitch i've been trying to pay attention to the callouts so that I can learn them.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Points taken and I will agree to disagree on a few things, but I understand you have to speculate on much of this since we've never played together. Again, lowest damage isn't a constant thing, but I've noticed that when it is low it's not all a bad thing like you suggest. Halo matches like you mention are highly circumstantial, so stats are going to fluctuate a lot. The only other thing I would say is that call outs in gold are a joke, but even in the rare game with people who talk, I'm unfortunately someone who can't always hear. I don't even know most callouts to be honest, and when watching HCS stuff on twitch i've been trying to pay attention to the callouts so that I can learn them.

Play against a different tier of players and it will be evident, but okay. If you feel like it is not important, then that is on you. Towey, who is considered to be the best coach in competitive Halo places emphasis on damage delt when it comes to the stat sheet. He does that for a reason.

TCKaos

I just got a Legendary WZ Gambit: AI Kills and it's making me so sad that I'll need to play regular long ass warzone to get that sweet, sweet XP. Or I can just save it til Firefight...

Just go for a boss rush. Don't even go for the bosses, go for everything around the bosses. Super easy like 7-10k EXP.

Is there something wrong with MM? I keep randomly disconnecting mid match - as far as I can tell, my internet is still up though admittedly it's been shit since going to comcast.

Edit: Seems to be my internet. Again. Fucking comcast. I cannot properly express the hell it has been since switching to them as a ISP.

You still get it. You have to place top 50% on your team to get it. Nobody gets AI kills, so you're in the top 50%.

d443ff9.gif

Play against a different tier of players and it will be evident, but okay. If you feel like it is not important, then that is on you. Towey, who is considered to be the best coach in competitive Halo places emphasis on damage delt. He does that for a reason.
Whoa I'm not saying it's not important lol and I'm not disagreeing with you on all points. It's just that there will be games where I feel like I played really smart, our team wins, and then in post-game i'll look and be like wow I dealt really low damage despite keeping my deaths down and contributing to the win with decent kills and assists and playing well with my random teammates. Again, it's a situational thing like you already said.

EDIT:
regarding wz games, i only just started using req cards recently lol. It makes the game a lot more interesting. I've been trying so hard to get through my silver req unlocks that i would just sell almost everything i get. I'm not even halfway through silver, but to keep myself from going mad in wz i've started saving good cards.

Tawpgun

4 v 1. I used an arena rp jackpot. No forfeit option. 343 what are you doing.

Been playing a lot of Rocket League. Not only do they have a 3 v 3 Solo Only playlist, they also have a team forfeit vote.

4 v 1. I used an arena rp jackpot. No forfeit option. 343 what are you doing.

Been playing a lot of Rocket League. Not only do they have a 3 v 3 Solo Only playlist, they also have a team forfeit vote.

They would have to set up team forfeit where if you're using a req boost, it will just go back into your inventory. Should be common sense for 343i, but sometimes people have to mention it :p

Top Bottom