• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I really wish there was a mercenary playlist or the game did a better job matching teams against each other. The majority of my games this morning were against 3 or 4 man. Hell, I even played some of them multiple times in a row.

inb4 play with a group or play FFA.

Fuchsdh

Phew, I wasted most of my morning in the office to enter all the data.

Amazing tool. So I still need 2,740,000 REQ points, which at 1,500 REQ points per match comes up to 1,826 matches to play. I've played 726 games in Dec and Feb (travelling in January), so I should be done with my REQ packs by end of Summer

The good news is that I only need 900,000 to complete Silvers, or 600 games, which I can get in the next two months.

Quite the grind, but I love the game so I don't mind.

Gonna' have to fill that out too. Probably further away than you, but nice to know a rough idea of where i stand.

Wow! Another free XBL password stealing app.

Why did he tag me in that? Am i on a betrayal Leaderboard or something? Must be it.

Might just be an easy way of getting Grifballers who follow you to see it (since it'll show up in mentions.)

I really wish there was a mercenary playlist or the game did a better job matching teams against each other. The majority of my games this morning were against 3 or 4 man. Hell, I even played some of them multiple times in a row.

inb4 play with a group or play FFA.

Nah, im totally with you. We need some type of lone wolves list indeed.

"Search solo and pair up with other wolves" no teams allowed :p. I bet a big majority of peeps que solo?

They should atleast try it out for a month. Gather data and see if it is popular and if it affected the regular playlists and MM.

Ramirez

So for the Achilles armour I think the commendations we actually need to consciously try and get is Deconstructed (Kill Promethans) and Road Trip (Kill Spartans with ground vehicle).

In the last 24 hours we have gotten 354 Promethan kills and 289 ground vehicle kills.

So from a rough estimate, we will get the Achilles armour in ~12 days.

But realistically it'll be about 10 considering weekends will give us more kills.

I think we should lock the Spartan Company roster until after we get the armour tbh, I'd hate anyone getting kicked now if they have been in the SC for a while and so soon after a recent weekend purge that was just done.

The current SC roster is locked more or less until the end of March. There were a couple people who hadn't played since Mid Feb that I was gonna check on in a week or so.

But yea, play some WZ and kill Proms!

Time to start getting into the game properly then. After starting to play again at the end of February I was in Gold Rank by the time it reset. Now that it's March I'm going to play a ton of arena matches and hopefully do even better.

When i thought my SC was too leasuire, commendation packs started to pour in this week.

yay!

edit: NVM LMAO

Searched our spartan companies progress - 1/31 kill commendations done to get the achillies armor.

Fluking my way to victory.
Eh, I'm pretty proud of myself, even if it was on SWATnums and mostly scrub luck. I'm just shocked I was actually able to get some sort of streak going. But I've got to say, when you feel like you're doing great in a match it really starts to get your adrenaline going. I'm having a blast so far.

wwm0nkey

So not Halo announcement for PC but Phil said they are looking at ALL of their biggest franchises that would work well with PC.

...So it's probably going to happen, when do you guys think they will announce it? I mean MCC had PC controls in it for a bit

So not Halo announcement for PC but Phil said they are looking at ALL of their biggest franchises that would work well with PC.

...So it's probably going to happen, when do you guys think they will announce it? I mean MCC had PC controls in it for a bit

e3 they will announce halo 5 will contiue to get post launch support and at the end it will say " NOW AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS 10*"

*Xbox One Controller Required

e3 they will announce halo 5 will contiue to get post launch support and at the end it will say " NOW AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS 10*"

*Xbox One Controller Required

honestly im hoping it goes free.

injects the playbase with a ton of fresh blood. they already keep adding new ways to buy reqs, theyll have a ton more in by then, and god willing they clean up the store page.

game-as-service model.

Don't do cross play on PvP, only available in Warzone Firefight, or lock cross-play to controller users on PC but people probably will find ways to fool the system so don't do that either.

wwm0nkey

injects the playbase with a ton of fresh blood. they already keep adding new ways to buy reqs, theyll have a ton more in by then, and god willing they clean up the store page.

game-as-service model.
If they do the MP only they could get away with it due to REQs, though there are some campaign missions I want to see in 4k

If they do the MP only they could get away with it due to REQs, though there are some campaign missions I want to see in 4k

way i see it, sales of retail versions will have all but dried up. itd be pretty sad to see them close support on the game with warzone firefight. on top of that, warzone firefight seems like THE PERFECT way to get people to buy more req packs (im assuming you can use those weapons in firefight).

Season 1 of HCS will be wrapped up by then, announce the game for free in june, at e3, when content "ends". Continue post launch support, get a much bigger playerbase buying reqs to support it, keep the train rolling.

Trup1aya

Don't do cross play on PvP, only available in Warzone Firefight, or lock cross-play to controller users on PC but people probably will find ways to fool the system so don't do that either.

I don't see how they could fool the system unless the found a way to hack the game and turn all aim assists off...

The way Halo weapons are balance is by variations of auto assists... Trying to counter act that with the precision of a mouse would be extremely counter intuitive.

I'd like to see halo 5 on PC but controller lock would be a must for cross play... But I'd imaging most PC users would rather play with a kb/m, even if it meant they could only play with other PC users.

I could see them launching (or announcing) something like Forza 6 Apex for Halo around June-ish, after the monthly updates are done. Basically an f2p equivalent with no crossplay. All the maps, weapons, etc, paid for (hopefully) by the REQ system. Campaign either offered as optional DLC or not at all.

game-as-service model.

I honestly think they don't have the man power to make halo 5 free on PC. The upkeep/sustaion they will need will require more than what they are doing for the xbox population. They will need all their resources to make the next halo game fairly soon.

Also, they're barely out the door with Halo 5 and if you put everything down on paper, they still have a lot of improvements to be made. This is their fresh start. They wont go Free to play until a business model is really solidified with REQ. They've made a lot fairly quickly.. sure, but how about that sustain? Will this model still entice players in July/August/Sept/Oct? I bet they go in weekly meetings about how to improve this for 343i and the players.

This is just somethings i try to think about. Even though increasing population is always a win in our eyes, it may be more of a burden and an enabler for them to fail at this current moment.

Glass

I hope the end of season rewards get a bit more enticing and fleshed out. They are the bare minimum at the moment. The emblems are boring visually, and whilst people would use a boring emblem if it was rare, everyone and their mothers gets one.

They need to look at how WoW does it with their arena seasons. The higher ranking players get cosmetic rewards, such as tabards and gladiator mounts. And titles they alone can use that season. What's someone's reward for hitting champion last season? Their reward was no different from my platinum rank, and now they're reset they have nothing to show for it. How about if you got Champion in a playlist last season, you get a skin to use for this month/season. If you want it again, you'll need to hit the rank once more. Exclusive rewards which are actually hard to get would send people nuts (just look at Achilles, the hardest to aquire armour) and give people that all important bragging right.

I hope the end of season rewards get a bit more enticing and fleshed out. They are the bare minimum at the moment. The emblems are boring visually, and whilst people would use a boring emblem if it was rare, everyone and their mothers gets one.

They need to look at how WoW does it with their arena seasons. The higher ranking players get cosmetic rewards, such as tabards and gladiator mounts. And titles they alone can use that season. What's someone's reward for hitting champion last season? Their reward was no different from my platinum rank, and now they're reset they have nothing to show for it. How about if you got Champion in a playlist last season, you get a skin to use for this month/season. If you want it again, you'll need to hit the rank once more. Exclusive rewards which are actually hard to get would send people nuts (just look at Achilles, the hardest to aquire armour) and give people that all important bragging right.

That's what I was hoping for, but we all get are the same emblems. Furthermore, the January and February emblems look the same for the most part. Emblems based on your division would be a much better incentive. However, I guess they don't want people to grief or whatever.

Pretty much everyone is a winner attitude.

I don't know if they should necessarily reward the best players with better rewards (mostly because this will put a target on their less than ideal ranking/matching system), but instead reward players who play more. Get ranked in all ranked playlists in a season? You get the best reward. Maybe even give extra rewards to people who complete all their games and never quit. Encourages more play without discouraging people who aren't as skilled as others.

Yeah, they have a lot of improving to implement into the REQ/REWARD system. Plenty of places to look at at take from.

Even the lobby system and ways to show off your spartans would be nice. Pressing X to show my fireteam in a V line doesn't tick off that box. Sorry, not sorry it's pretty horrible.

Hopefully they have a big UI updating incoming, but looking at how they are slowly updating the current UI i dont think they will change much....and keep doing what they are doing now.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm a sucker for hard work.

So I would suggest that anyone wanting to play in a HaloGAF 4v4 tournament must have an active NeoGAF account and provide gamertag, timezone and arena ranks for the last few seasons (since launch basically)

I suppose I should setup an onlne spreadsheet type thing.

yeah a spreadsheet would be awesome for that :) Also I agree all of that should be given as info

wwm0nkey

I could see them launching (or announcing) something like Forza 6 Apex for Halo around June-ish, after the monthly updates are done. Basically an f2p equivalent with no crossplay. All the maps, weapons, etc, paid for (hopefully) by the REQ system. Campaign either offered as optional DLC or not at all.
I can see this, with MS being pretty clear and saying they want to put major franchises on PC I'm expecting Halo since it already has a history on PC.

Strider

I think giving players an incentive to improve at the game and reach higher and higher ranks would only be a good thing... So I'm all for rewards based on ranks. Hell atm I know of people who tank their rank on purpose just so they can get a good K/D....they don't care because there is no incentive to have a high rank so why not just dong on people worse than them...

Currently seasons are implemented very poorly though. Rewards aren't worth it at all. Seasons should be something the community gets excited over... Instead people just moan and groan about placement matches lol

Trup1aya

I'm proud to announce that my csr has regressed from diamond 2 to platinum 2 over the course of the feb season.

I don't know how I got so bad, but I just can't shoot for shit...

It's pretty frustrating. A lot of it is mental, because I do so much thinking about my accuracy during each 1v1...

I don't see how they could fool the system unless the found a way to hack the game and turn all aim assists off...

The way Halo weapons are balance is by variations of auto assists... Trying to counter act that with the precision of a mouse would be extremely counter intuitive.

I'd like to see halo 5 on PC but controller lock would be a must for cross play... But I'd imaging most PC users would rather play with a kb/m, even if it meant they could only play with other PC users.

People are using adapters to play on consoles with KB/M, it would be even easier to emulate controller inputs with KB/M via software.

Ramirez

They should, but we're living in the age of "everyone gets a trophy!". You see people here who have a problem with the way Achilles is setup, imagine if you started rewarding skins based on placements in a season, lol.

I feel like at the very least, they could add text to the emblems noting where you placed.

singhr1

Eh, just make Halo Online available everywhere.

The modded playerbase is all but dead and needs some official support. I doubt the Russian population is helping them make their money back in a substantial way. Probably easier to dip your toes in Halo on PC in the US with that than porting Halo 5.

RIP Ensemble Studios

Trup1aya

People are using adapters to play on consoles with KB/M, it would be even easier to emulate controller inputs with KB/M via software.

But how do you counter act the aim assists and aim acceleration? When someone is playing with a mouse, they expect linear 1:1 translation. The halo 5 software doesn't provide that and would need to be overridden in order to provide that type of experience.

wwm0nkey

Eh, just make Halo Online available everywhere.

The modded playerbase is all but dead and needs some official support. I doubt the Russian population is helping them make their money back in a substantial way. Probably easier to dip your toes in Halo on PC in the US with that than porting Halo 5.

RIP Ensemble Studios
Halo Online is trash though

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

These adapters work well with other games such as black ops. Last I checked, there were problems with Halo. It worked, but it was not perfect.

I think giving players an incentive to improve at the game and reach higher and higher ranks would only be a good thing... So I'm all for rewards based on ranks. Hell atm I know of people who tank their rank on purpose just so they can get a good K/D....they don't care because there is no incentive to have a high rank so why not just dong on people worse than them...

Currently seasons are implemented very poorly though. Rewards aren't worth it at all. Seasons should be something the community gets excited over... Instead people just moan and groan about placement matches lol

There is no reason to try to get ranked high, hell the higher ranked you get the longer the queue times. Congratulations, you made it to Champion. You know what you get? Nothing, just higher wait times and your rank gets reset in a month anyways. Sometimes it just seems like ranks were thrown in to make people happy and that’s it. The only reason to try and to rank up is the drive to get better. However, I don’t see it. I’ve seen Diamonds play like they’re Gold and Plats play like a high ranked Onyx.

I like their idea with the ranking system. However, between the lack of incentives and ranks resetting every month; I have no drive to give a shit what my rank is. Last season I had a personal goal to get to Onyx. I did that. Now it’s like why would I want to grind from Plat 3 all the way to Onyx when it’s just going to get reset?

Top Bottom