• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

JackHerer

I still miss the old Boltshot. Was playing Halo 4 on MCC the other day and it's just plain way more fun to use it versus any other shotgun. I liked the idea of the Forerunner weapons having secondary functions too.

I was hoping it would return for the higher REQ versions of it but no such luck. Honestly what we have now is just a generally annoying weapon that has a longer TTK than Pistol/BR but requires almost zero aiming skills. As a pickup the charge up 1hk would have been fine in H5 especially with thrust now standard for everyone. The main issue with the shotgun version of the boltshot was that you could spawn with it. Not a big fan of that change but the supressor is great.

Damn that really was a quick turn around. I wonder if any players who have done their fair amount of Breakout grinding will be annoyed by the decision? Certain teams really dominate in it.

I guess you could say it would be annoying when time could be spent practicing elsewhere but these pros are so good at the standard Halo gametypes already.

Fuchsdh

I was hoping it would return for the higher REQ versions of it but no such luck. Honestly what we have now is just a generally annoying weapon that has a longer TTK than Pistol/BR but requires almost zero aiming skills. As a pickup the charge up 1hk would have been fine in H5 especially with thrust now standard for everyone. The main issue with the shotgun version of the boltshot was that you could spawn with it. Not a big fan of that change but the supressor is great.

Mhmm. A higher REQ or on-map pickup would have been fine. To me it's essentially a reimagining of the Mauler (and IMO a better one.)

As is the Boltshot is definitely more useful in campaign, I guess, and it has a role in multiplayer but it seems like it's always eclipsed by better options. I guess as a weapon to assist in kills it's effective.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I surprised how quick this was. That pro poll must have been a shocker to 343 but good on them to remove it quickly.

We're in constant communication with a lot of the pro players so I wouldn't call it a shocker, but their distaste has clearly grown over time and we felt this was the right call.

BraXzy

We're in constant communication with a lot of the pro players so I wouldn't call it a shocker, but their distaste has clearly grown over time and we felt this was the right call.

That's fair enough and commendable that you didn't ignore their concerns. Either way, hyped for HCS and X-Games.

belushy

Banned

Thanks Tashi! I'll admit I'm kinda sad Breakout didn't work out (competitively), as I loved the idea of it pre-launch and enjoy it for a little bit post-launch but I grew tried of watching and playing as time went on. You guys should revisit it after HWC, though. Different objective, maybe asym maps with attack/defense rounds.

I really don't understand why the map rotation doesn't work like it did in the Beta. You would actually play an other map each time. This is also why a Veto system would actually have been better. You would have a chance to play an other map instead of the same map over and over again. Screw map voting, though.

We either need the system from the Beta back or we need to be able to veto again. Map voting can stay dead, but I wanna play a cross section and not have to pray every time a dedi starts up for Noctus.

Exactly, it just makes me turn off the game sooner then I normally would when I keep getting the same maps again and again.

Glass

I'd have love to have seen it tested without grenade starts first, I think the random grenade kills at the start of rounds were the pro's biggest gripe and contribute towards that RNG factor.

Seems like I am just getting the same old maps constantly, why wouldn't there be a playlist for the new shit and h2 BR?

Because there's only 1 arena map and 1 warzone map released. Since updates are going to get released monthly having an update only playlist would only separate the community. Also it'd get old fast.

Map rotation isn't great as is, i'd just keep at it you're bound to get them eventually..

daedalius

Wow I really hate the pistol, but only because I'm old and don't care about getting better at aiming with a gun that has like, no aim assist.

Without aim assist with my faster controls I can't hit anything with that pistol. And if I knock everything down so I can actually aim with it it feels like garbage.

Sigh

Glass

That Summit effect

zrqfBnK.jpg

This guy seriously loves Halo but sucks at consoles so his main game is usually CSGO and things liks H1Z1. I made a more detailed post on TB about this, but 343 should seriously try reaching out to him about hosting H5 or some of the HCS stuff or X Games things, for when Summit himself isn't streaming. His audience is this huge pool of potential fans.

I always thinks it's crazy how some streamers on Twitch have so many followers. What's so special about them that people tune in every time? Just good hosts?

It's not like he's pro or anything because he's Platinum (no hate).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yea Summit loves Halo but hates controllers. If H5 was on PC he'd play it all the time.

He was working on getting a KB+M setup working, but it looks like he doesn't have it yet.

But seriously, sumsum looks 100% more stressed / focued then when he's playing CS:GO.

Who is summit and what am i looking for in that pic? The 18k halo 5 has?

summit is a top 5 streamer on Twitch

Strider

I always thinks it's crazy how some streamers on Twitch have so many followers. What's so special about them that people tune in every time? Just good hosts?

It's not like he's pro or anything because he's Platinum (no hate).

Nothing special about them it's just the way twitch is set up basically let's the rich get richer. You get viewers then your channel rises to the top, which makes it easy to see, which then gets you more viewers and so on. So that's how some channels get so big.

And Summit of course isn't pro at Halo but he's a former CS pro so that's probably how he got his initial following

Sai

Alright! Played a few more Warzone matches, and the Halo 2 BR was finally showing up.

Props to the guys who worked on this; feels exactly like a host BR from Halo 2. That Classic BR had me worried about how they were going to handle the M6D Pistol in Halo 5, but this has totally alleviated my concerns.

Strider

He was working on getting a KB+M setup working, but it looks like he doesn't have it yet.

But seriously, sumsum looks 100% more stressed / focued then when he's playing CS:GO.

Pretty understandable tho. When controls aren't natural because you aren't used to the method it sucks. Having to think about what button to press is awful.

It took me a while to get used to KB/M when I got my PC and it was a struggle

m23

So is the Halo 2 BR a loadout weapon in Warzone, or is it a one time use thing? Also, which req level is it?

BraXzy

That Summit effect

I wish he played it more, he seemed to really like it when he streamed at launch.

It's insane how some of the streamers on Twitch have just a mass of people behind them. Every now and then you see a random game in the top 10 that you've never heard of, chances are it's one of these big names playing it, and the second highest view count for said game will be like 12 viewers.

JackHerer

Huh? In the trailer it was shown on Urban/Noctus.

I'm talking about the initial tease they showed in December. I'm certain now because I found the video :)

Here you go, proof that at least for 343, you CAN use Warzone REQs in Arena: https://youtu.be/dnFElPUVFzE?t=17

It's just a brief flash of the legendary Carbine but it definitely looks like Truth top mid. Or It's an unannounced Covenant Warzone map but that seems less likely for some reason.

I'm talking about the initial tease they showed in December. I'm certain now because I found the video :)

Here you go, proof that at least for 343, you CAN use Warzone REQs in Arena: https://youtu.be/dnFElPUVFzE?t=17

It's just a brief flash of the legendary Carbine but it definitely looks like Truth top mid. Or It's an unannounced Covenant Warzone map but that seems less likely for some reason.

Ah that makes sense, yeah it is kinda weird, test environment I guess.

MaGlock

I imagine a slow burn of weapons for customs/forge. But for real whiplash should be available. Just as good as old school rocks

BraXzy

Just watching Summ1t on Twitch atm, the new blue colour is looking good. Hopefully that improves visibility on highly blue maps.

E92 M3

I really dislike Riptide's design: One room where everyone fights and a bunch of hallways. I'd like more maps with clear sight lines and less hallways.

Top Bottom