• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Strider

I really dislike Riptide's design: One room where everyone fights and a bunch of hallways. I'd like more maps with clear sight lines and less hallways.

Same. Although Riptide seems ok to me. Only played it once tho... It's better than Overgrowth at least.

Crossposting my skyboxes from the Forge thread:

rhG31C2.jpg

WWNQKkY.jpg
Nothing on red side moves because of how dense and large all the setpieces are (outside of the Phaeton*), but the hugeass Mass Driver on the blue side articulates! It periodically fires off a round and has some moving parts that react to the shot.

*I have a Phaeton hovering just outside either base because their sounds are heavily scripted and can be heard from really far away - they're scripted to explode when you trigger something on the map and respawn when the trigger does, giving you a consistent audio cue to pay attention to across the map.

Video of the Mass Driver in action: http://1drv.ms/1Vq9X4L

Madness

He's a big streamer on Twitch, the game usually has about 5k with all the Halo streamers put together.

I also think the greater numbers are also due to Lethul leaving EG 3 days before roster lock and a lot of bad blood/pro drama being added. Before that, he wouldn't even get more than 300 viewers when he streamed, now he gets over 1500 to 3k.

Here's hoping X Games and the World Championship lead to a rejuvenation of the pro scene. Someone as popular as Ninja only has 37k followers, whereas Formal who left Halo to play CoD has now grown to 427k, guys like Nadeshot at 1.4 million etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Riptide first impressions are pretty meh. Lots of really long, narrow hallways and the map doesn't feel well connected to get to various areas easily. Like overgrowth, this doesn't feel like a halo map and doesn't fit the halo sandbox well. I hate to be that guy, but no more CoD maps k?

Urban too. Really don't get why they actually removed the unique center structure and replaced it with yet another generic warzone base. I get that it inherently may have been either too easy or too hard to defend, but they should have tweaked it rather than take the easy way out. I'm not a fan of warzone, but the same can be said for all those maps. The copy and paste bases need to go away.

IHaveIce

Banned
We're in constant communication with a lot of the pro players so I wouldn't call it a shocker, but their distaste has clearly grown over time and we felt this was the right call.
And think of my tweet directed at Che, pretty sure that was the reason for the turnaround. You cann all thank me :J

Riptide first impressions are pretty meh. Lots of really long, narrow hallways and the map doesn't feel well connected to get to various areas easily. Like overgrowth, this doesn't feel like a halo map and doesn't fit the halo sandbox well. I hate to be that guy, but no more CoD maps k?

Urban too. Really don't get why they actually removed the unique center structure and replaced it with yet another generic warzone base. I get that it inherently may have been either too easy or too hard to defend, but they should have tweaked it rather than take the easy way out. I'm not a fan of warzone, but the same can be said for all those maps. The copy and paste bases need to go away.

I agree so far. Also the map has ledges, corners, and props on the walls and the floor that look like you can jump on or use, but they wrapped them in a blanket of invisible walls. There is also a grav lift oddly placed next to a ledge that can be simply clambered onto. It even has a little stack of boxes to use if you want too. But they stick this random ass grav lift that overshoots you over the platform. It's basically a death trap lol...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I agree so far. Also the map has ledges, corners, and props on the walls and the floor that look like you can jump on or use, but they wrapped them in a blanket of invisible walls. There is also a grav lift oddly placed next to a ledge that can be simply clambered onto. It even has a little stack of boxes to use if you want too. But they stick this random ass grav lift that overshoots you over the platform. It's basically a death trap lol...

I noticed that. It's really just an odd map. That center area, with the superfluous lift, is the only decent combat space. Maybe it'll grow on me a bit when I learn it more but right now its at or very near the bottom of the heap.

I noticed that. It's really just an odd map. That center area, with the superfluous lift, is the only decent combat space. Maybe it'll grow on me a bit when I learn it more but right now its at or very near the bottom of the heap.

Yeah they should have made a symmetrical map with the remix, all of the asymmetrical maps in Halo 5 are pretty bad unfortunately, though they all have corridors and aren't very open which is the main main issue. Coliseum is going to be interesting, small map and should remain symmetrical, at least there's not much room to make a bunch of hallways...I hope.

Why did 343 think remixes are a good idea in the first place? Doesn't seem favorable in any way imaginable, unless we wanna assume it's from laziness lol ;)

Why did 343 think remixes are a good idea in the first place? Doesn't seem favorable in any way imaginable, unless we wanna assume it's from laziness lol ;)

Overgrowth and Riptide has the entire map's aesthetics and lighting changed upon new layout, the "remixes" are different enough that they cost as much time and resources as a new map, it is anything but laziness. Are they good maps? Not sure (or just no in the case of Overgrowth), but calling them lazy because the team called the maps "remix" is a disservice to their work.

the greatest irony about Riptide is that it would have been a really good map if it wasn't a remix. The fathom geo drags it down.

I agree, the "remix" concept is just a weird decision, just create new maps based on the existing texture and aesthetics and call them new ones, I doubt anyone would complain.

BraXzy

I liked the idea of remixes till it seemed we're getting nothing but. I know that they are changed up considerably, at least for some, but I'd still rather just have completely fresh new ideas.

I was hoping the remixes would be a reduced-resource hog and just cherries on top of awesome unique maps.

Tawpgun

Monument is so damn powerful in noctus. Two games I played where we controlled both garages and the other team had just monument and they won.

I need more time on riptide but initial impressions are that fuel rod is too powerful

Unpopular opinion, but I do rather like the removal of the central monument in Urban, as I feel that forcing everyone to charge the hill when the defenders get the massive elevation advantage with the stock monument to be far too much of a hurdle to overcome.

Though I totally agree that I wish the particular structure was not just another prefab, as it undersells the rather interesting approach to the armory when you already know that taking and holding it is essentially going to be the same as all the other maps.

my initial impressions of riptide were somewhat mixed. I absolutely adore the aesthetic, and any map that gives me a classic br55 is a win in my book, but I can't help but echo the sentiment that there are one too many corridors on the map. I don't think it is a bad map per say, but after overgrowth I would have preferred the new map to be a tad more open.

BraXzy

Monument is so damn powerful in noctus. Two games I played where we controlled both garages and the other team had just monument and they won.

I've still only played on that map twice, and both times were super quick victories.

I rarely play Warzone, I should probably change that to make some use out of the 80 or so boosts I have for it. Arena is just too addicting though. Would be cool if you could do a 2-for-1 swap with boosts from Arena to Warzone and vice-versa.

Overgrowth and Riptide has the entire map's aesthetics and lighting changed upon new layout, the "remixes" are different enough that they cost as much time and resources as a new map, it is anything but laziness. Are they good maps? Not sure (or just no in the case of Overgrowth), but calling them lazy because the team called the maps "remix" is a disservice to their work.

I agree, the "remix" concept is just a weird decision, just create new maps based on the existing texture and aesthetics and call them new ones, I doubt anyone would complain.

It was a wink. Didn't actually mean they are pure lazy. However, I wonder how much of the original map was used.

I just don't see a compelling reason for them. People love new fresh maps. Remixes feel like something someone might do to the original maps in Forge.

Ramirez

It was a wink. Didn't actually mean they are pure lazy. However, I wonder how much of the original map was used.

I just don't see a compelling reason for them. People love new fresh maps. Remixes feel like something someone might do to the original maps in Forge.

Remixes feel like something from Forge? Cmon dude, lol.

Madness

I liked the idea of remixes till it seemed we're getting nothing but. I know that they are changed up considerably, at least for some, but I'd still rather just have completely fresh new ideas.

I was hoping the remixes would be a reduced-resource hog and just cherries on top of awesome unique maps.

I've been thinking about this. The very fact they called them remixes has been a mistake, because instantly, even if the map looks and plays different, we start thinking of it with the other maps in mind.

Plus, it also doesn't help that every remix so far plays worse than the map it's supposedly a remix of. I'd rather play Truth than Regret, I'd rather play Plaza than Overgrowth etc. So the question becomes, why even remix the map? You get something that people will compare to, as opposed to being its own thing, and because of having to utilize similar geo/layout, you are hamstrung at creating something new.

I have yet to play Riptide, and while I thought it looked nice, different from Fathom, I have to wonder how it will play. This also doesn't bode well for the Rig remix next.

Finally got Riptide! Took seven games to get it and I don't know how I feel about it after one game. Aesthetically it's the best arena map, however I'm not too fond of all the hallways. I have to play it more to see.

Damn...

We have to complete level three to get the armor, I thought it was just get to level three, so it's really level four.

Spartan Charge and assassinate everyone!

This game really needs an Action Sack playlist asap

Unranked social arena modes (minimal MMR, join-in-progress). I've said it before, but my friends are not good at this game, and a playlist where we can all relax and enjoy a few matches of slayer without them getting absolutely slaughtered by the Diamond and Onyx-tier players we'd be matched with.

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn...

We have to complete level three to get the armor, I thought it was just get to level three, so it's really level four.

Spartan Charge and assassinate everyone!
What???
Ok I misunderstood it aswell then, does that mean we have to COMPLETE level 5 for the helmet? That will never happen

Nutter

Greatest map ever, until you get shit on and then it becomes a lame map.
Greatest Halo ever, until you get shit on all night and then you hate the game, spawns and everything in between.

AKA

Things are always great until they are not.

News at 11.

I'm tired of trying different shit! Why doesn't it just work out of the box like every other halo that has existed before it?!

Because the halos that existed before it all have significantly higher aim assist? Also one of your starting weapons has like no aim assist at all.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, we have to complete level 5, so we'll get it when Xbox Two releases.
Woah. Ok I'm gonna try and play Warzone with camo and stuff and going on assassination sprees. You guys do spartan charge.

Also I kinda like Riptide, though the Fuelrod is super strong on it, kinda think the beam rifle is wasted on there.

The map would be awesome with slide boost.

Top Bottom