• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Madness

I'm tired of trying different shit! Why doesn't it just work out of the box like every other halo that has existed before it?!

I play with two different controllers, Sunset white and Elite and use default settings with only an increase in sensitivity. I haven't noticed the issue like others. A few people have said it's their television, that even something like game mode affects the way their controls feel. If you change aim acceleration down to 2, you get the beta settings. Maybe something else affecting how you feel? The lower aim assist throwing off your shots?

Though some matches I feel like there is a slight input delay that makes my shots feel a split second behind when I actually press the buttons.

Woah. Ok I'm gonna try and play Warzone with camo and stuff and going on assassination sprees. You guys do spartan charge.

I was playing earlier and specifically going for these things. Using active camo and crouching and going for assassinations, using sniper to shoot enemies out of ghosts or warthogs.

daedalius

I play with two different controllers, Sunset white and Elite and use default settings with only an increase in sensitivity. I haven't noticed the issue like others. A few people have said it's their television, that even something like game mode affects the way their controls feel. If you change aim acceleration down to 2, you get the beta settings. Maybe something else affecting how you feel? The lower aim assist throwing off your shots?

Though some matches I feel like there is a slight input delay that makes my shots feel a split second behind when I actually press the buttons.

I was playing earlier and specifically going for these things. Using active camo and crouching and going for assassinations, using sniper to shoot enemies out of ghosts or warthogs.

It could very well be their "enhanced focus on esports" that is ruining my fun. Little flicks with the stick that totally worked before to get/keep me on target now send my crosshair flying wildly out of control, nowhere near where I actually want it to go. And then I'm dead! And I definitely don't want to throw my controller or anything.

So that is great! I'm thrilled this is a change they decided to make! It makes the game very fun!

It could very well be their "enhanced focus on esports" that is ruining my fun. Little flicks with the stick that totally worked before to get/keep me on target now send my crosshair flying wildly out of control, nowhere near where I actually want it to go. And then I'm dead! And I definitely don't want to throw my controller or anything.

So that is great! I'm thrilled this is a change they decided to make! It makes the game very fun!

One thing is the lack of aim assist, second could you tune the inner deadzone up a little and see if anything changes?

Ade

Sigh. Decided to play BTB before work, betrayed 4 times by 4 different people. What is it about rocket turrets and gauss hogs that makes everyone a dick.

gotta hold onto that Onyx rating somehow
If that was the case, I'd be playing the game.
Just curious why?

Trying to get my rank back in Counter-Strike, and just trying to get better at CSGO. I'll probably get really into Halo again with HCS starts up for reals.

Then again, the game literally just did this to me. So I may just go back to Halo now. lmao

C64DC033334E2E30CEF81B62F2390BB52F55AAE4

For context. Had a 4-0 lead. Easy game, we're outplaying the enemy team and beat them in 2 gun rounds. Lose fifth round because two of our five time-out. We still upset them and won the next eco round against all odds, won two more rounds, the other two still couldn't connect in time and abandoned the match. We had to surrender and it was my rank up match, making me extra salty because now I have to play another 3 games to rank up because of the surrender.

daedalius

One thing is the lack of aim assist, second could you tune the inner deadzone up a little and see if anything changes?

I already bumped it up to 3%, and it really didn't do anything from 1%

What exactly would that help with? I just have to move the stick more for it to actually take input? Sure I'll give it a shot next time I feel like getting on to rage out. I will note that the default 15% felt like absolute trash when I have used that before.

I already bumped it up to 3%, and it really didn't do anything from 1%

What exactly would that help with? I just have to move the stick more for it to actually take input? Sure I'll give it a shot next time I feel like getting on to rage out. I will note that the default 15% felt like absolute trash when I have used that before.

The default is 10% inner 12% outer I believe, try 10% inner and 0% outer with 2 acceleration and see if there is any improvement. Inner deadzone percentage means you have to move the stick for so much till it starts to register input, mainly for fine tune small movements and prevent drifting on faulty/worn out sticks.

Trup1aya

I finally got a match on Urban, and I think it's potentially the most fun Warzone Assualt map there is... But its strength highlights Some glaring flaw...

It's really fun to fight outside. So much so, that it draws defenders outside of the objective. I mean, really, Who wants to stand inside of yet another garage, armory, or home base when there are so many fun outdoor spaces?

This would have been a great opportunity to have us defending different spaces, maybe zones that airborne vehicles can occupy and still be considered "inside" the base. At the very least they should extend the defender range beyond the walls of bases.

Also the spawns for attackers are terrible. It's way too easy to spawn trap them right at the beginning.

Trup1aya

I think you need to turn down you aim acceleration. If you are having issue making fine adjustments, the. You've got it set to high. 3 is the default, but it seems like a lot of people prefer 2.

Trup1aya

On the subject of Breakout being removed from HCS, Kudos to 343i quickly reacting to feedback. I know it must be tough to see something you worked hard on be rejected, but you made the right call...

Still, it makes me wonder what could have been had the energy that went into making Breakout instead went into gamemodes that people actually expected to have at launch. Assigning priority to an unproven gametype, that strays far from the core Halo experience seems unneccisarily risky.

Breakout honestly should've been sidelined after the feedback from the Beta. I only heard a handful of players say they actually enjoyed it, even back then.

I'm having trouble understanding how even Warzone Assault made it into the game. Such a lopsided gametype just doesn't make sense. If you get thrown into the defending team, you pretty much know you're gonna lose unless you have really good teammates.

And yeah, they definitely should've focused more on the classic gametypes. Breakout would've been something interesting they could've added later on, instead of having us wait for classic stuff.

Akai__

..but they still have not addressed dedicated regional servers complaints...

It's insane what people are willing to do, to get only games on their regional servers. There are a coupple people on Waypoint and Reddit who wrote down every MS Azure Server IP, which wasn't from their region, and blocked them in their router. Turns out that this is not optimal, because those servers change their IP from time to time. lol

Breakout honestly should've been sidelined after the feedback from the Beta. I only heard a handful of players say they actually enjoyed it, even back then.

I'm having trouble understanding how even Warzone Assault made it into the game. Such a lopsided gametype just doesn't make sense. If you get thrown into the defending team, you pretty much know you're gonna lose unless you have really good teammates.

And yeah, they definitely should've focused more on the classic gametypes. Breakout would've been something interesting they could've added later on, instead of having us wait for classic stuff.

Hah, my experience is the opposite: defenders usually win!

IHaveIce

Banned
It's insane what people are willing to do, to get only games on their regional servers. There are a coupple people on Waypoint and Reddit who wrote down every MS Azure Server IP, which wasn't from their region, and blocked them in their router. Turns out that this is not optimal, because those servers change their IP from time to time. lol
This actually the problem why I get kicked out so often. My modem blocks sone IPs of MS by default which are used by the servers and I can't disable it nor is my ISP ready to do something against it

Hah, my experience is the opposite: defenders usually win!

Maybe I just get matched up against communicating teams all the time, or my teammates are all scrubs. Once the enemy seems to get a foothold in your base, there's practically nothing you can do to stop them. You spawn all the way back and by the time you've slogged it back to your base, they've capped it and moved on to the next.

And when I start scrubbing it up, then it's a total loss. This game still makes it incredibly difficult for me to score headshots, it's quite frustrating.

This actually the problem why I get kicked out so often. My modem blocks sone IPs of MS by default which are used by the servers and I can't disable it nor is my ISP ready to do something against it

That sucks, man. It's similar to the problem I had with Destiny: my former ISP blocks certain ports Destiny needs to be open by default, with no way to open them. "We don't want our users contracting scary viruses!"

JaggedSac

Breakout is great. Glad they added at launch. Great gametype for a party.

Akai__

Crazy, right? Then there is also that guy from UK that works for a router company and he found out that only 1/5 of his games were on EU servers. It got posted on Waypoint and someone posted it on here. I'm still interested how he did this, because I'd like to try that on my own and ping the servers.

I'd also really love to see ping times in the game itself, but that seems counterproductive for 343i.

From my understanding, you wouldn't even connect to these servers, if your Router/Modem/ISP straight up blocks them. Did you get confirmation on that?

That's a really weird problem to begin with, but why would any ISP block MS Servers? You would think those are pretty trustworthy, no?

G-DannY

Crazy, right? ?

Not crazy at all. I'm from EU, i clearly feel the latency when playing on us servers (the vast majority of time).

And I know really good that thread on waypoint. The only true solution is selectable datacenters like titanfall.

But 343i don't want to lose their "godspeed matchmaking" giving fair playing fields to who is outside the US and then pings > 200 against local americans pinging < 100.

Also considering this, tried last night again Titanfall... Locked on Europe West datacenter, 35ms ping. Only 750 players online in the playlist that I choose... Just can't count to 5 before I just got connected.

So, also the matchmaking speed argument is invalid.

Global users connecting together with different pings and latencies totally destroy the competitive and ranking aspects of this game.

This is a MAJOR FAULT, OR ISSUE of Halo 5. And still need to be addressed after 4 months today.

Akai__

Not crazy at all. I'm from EU, i clearly feel the latency when playing on us servers (the vast majority of time).

And I know really good that thread on waypoint. The only true solution is selectable datacenters like titanfall.

But 343i don't want to lose their "godspeed matchmaking" giving fair playing fields to who is outside the US and then pings > 200 against local americans pinging < 100.

Also considering this, tried last night again Titanfall... Locked on Europe West datacenter, 35ms ping. Only 750 players online in the playlist that I choose... Just can't count to 5 before I just got connected.

So, also the matchmaking speed argument is invalid.

Global users connecting together with different pings and latencies destroys totally the competitive and rakning aspects of this game.

This is a MAJOR FAULT, OR ISSUE of Halo 5. And still need to be addressed after 4 months today.

Are you implying that I'm dismissing the issues? Because I'm not. I posted several times, about getting killed through walls due to high latency against US people. This was one the reasons why I actually quit playing Arena modes. Whenever there is a new Sniper playlist, you can literall do a montage about kills throuh walls. One of my clips shows how crazy it actually can get in Warzone: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AkaiGAF/video/13104391

With "crazy, right?" I meant how people were willing to look into these things and actually present 343i those results. A 133 page thread speaks for itself and that's by far not the only thread about these servers on the internet. The complains are completely valid and 343i should adress those.

By the way: Your Titanfall arguement doesn't work here since Titanfall has no real skill matchmaking, with a ELO system underneath it. It just matches you with people, that's all.

E92 M3

Greatest map ever, until you get shit on and then it becomes a lame map.
Greatest Halo ever, until you get shit on all night and then you hate the game, spawns and everything in between.

AKA

Things are always great until they are not.

News at 11.

Yeah, but I try to make statements without that bias. Riptide isn't a good map unfortunately. The Halo 2 BR is the best part.

Detective

I was looking forward to this update.

Finally when I got home from work, Sat down and updated.

First game, Assault on Urban , So happy it came first because I wanted to try it out, but...

The game was fucking unplayable, lag everywhere. Tried second and a third match. Only lag, lag lag and lag.

Turned it off because I was so mad I was about to smash the whole box altogether.

Then I went to sleep.

Hopes it works today.

IHaveIce

Banned
Crazy, right? Then there is also that guy from UK that works for a router company and he found out that only 1/5 of his games were on EU servers. It got posted on Waypoint and someone posted it on here. I'm still interested how he did this, because I'd like to try that on my own and ping the servers.

I'd also really love to see ping times in the game itself, but that seems counterproductive for 343i.

From my understanding, you wouldn't even connect to these servers, if your Router/Modem/ISP straight up blocks them. Did you get confirmation on that?

That's a really weird problem to begin with, but why would any ISP block MS Servers? You would think those are pretty trustworthy, no?
maybe it is also more like the ports like Blue Ninja said.
But yeah someone from MS looked into it for me since I get kicked out at least two of 5 matches.

Akai__

maybe it is also more like the ports like Blue Ninja said.
But yeah someone from MS looked into it for me since I get kicked out at least two of 5 matches.

Whatever it is, that just sucks... I wonder if you'd have the same problem in other games, that use the same servers. I have seen people saying that they only have issues with Halo 5, which is just really really weird.

Madness

Goddamn, is the auto-aim just that strong or does that guy have the aim of a god?

I think it's both that he's solid with the sniper and the fact Nornfang is essentially one hit kill. It activates damage boost whenever you use it, so I think just having reticule over player leads to kill. Maybe aim assist is high as well. The highest beam rifle is ridiculous as well for how quick it fires rounds.

Tomash

Titanfall doesn't lock you to one datacenter, but Respawn's network engineers are blesssed with common sense and it takes 5 minutes of fruitless matchmaking before game considers dumping you on American server.

http://www.titanfall.com/news/ctf-matchmaking-update-pc-and-xbox-one

Furthermore, we’re introducing a test of even wider region searches. If you’re searching for 5 minutes without starting a game, Stryder will eventually widen your search to include neighboring continents. This means you might end up in a game with a much higher ping than you’re used to, but as players pointed out; playing is preferred to not playing at all! The 5 minutes is a rough estimation as Stryder may very well use a much shorter time if it can determine from its real-time view of the globe that waiting 1 or 5 minutes will have no tangible difference. Like with many attributes of matchmaking, we’re tweaking and tracking or slicing data differently almost daily. Our engineers spend A LOT of time staring at graphs and analytics.

IHaveIce

Banned
Whatever it is, that just sucks... I wonder if you'd have the same problem in other games, that use the same servers. I have seen people saying that they only have issues with Halo 5, which is just really really weird.
Nope only Halo 5 is giving me issues.

..but they still have not addressed dedicated regional servers complaints...

Later they tuned the matchmaking algorithm to prioritize faster games to compensate for lower population, still the speed of that MM system is insane, there are only like 100 players on Asian servers now but I still get in an attrition match in seconds.

G-DannY

Are you implying that I'm dismissing the issues? Because I'm not. I posted several times, about getting killed through walls due to high latency against US people. This was one the reasons why I actually quit playing Arena modes. Whenever there is a new Sniper playlist, you can literall do a montage about kills throuh walls. One of my clips shows how crazy it actually can get in Warzone: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AkaiGAF/video/13104391

With "crazy, right?" I meant how people were willing to look into these things and actually present 343i those results. A 133 page thread speaks for itself and that's by far not the only thread about these servers on the internet. The complains are completely valid and 343i should adress those.

By the way: Your Titanfall arguement doesn't work here since Titanfall has no real skill matchmaking, with a ELO system underneath it. It just matches you with people, that's all.

I misunderstood your point sorry, probably I'm simply exhausted by all the people denying this as an issue, and the so frustrating time 343 are taking to simply give a word on this.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Finished my silver packs with the very last bit of points I'd saved up for today. Onto the gold grind tomorrow.

Can someone explain to me how you know these things? How do you know you need to buy more silver or gold?

Top Bottom