• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Some former Halo 4 and 5 MP designers left 343 to create a new Studio:

http://www.firststrikegames.com/team.html

200w_d.gif

Best luck to them, I wish them the best in their new studio

So does this game even have a skill based Matchmaking system? Because from my experience I get matched up against teams of players who demolish us while I have a bunch of 12 year olds who try to out BR someone from across the map with an Assault Rifle.

I was playing tonight for the first time in forever. I was getting matched up against 100+ level guys with 15+ days of playtime compared to my level 6 and 3 total hours. I thought it was weird and pretty annoying.

Fuchsdh

It's normal for people to move on to other studios. Not everyone likes to work always on the same franchise.

Which has always been the issue with a studio concept like 343. It's got a pretty big built-in issue with retaining talent.

I imagine we'll see Frankie and Bonnie and co. stick around because they're doing franchise-wide stuff instead of just Halo games all day, but I don't begrudge people wanting to move on eventually.

link1201

It's normal for people to move on to other studios. Not everyone likes to work always on the same franchise.
Well yeah, I get that. However, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. On one hand they had a big influence on Halo 4 mp on the other they had a big influence on Halo 5's mp. I'm not sure if I should be excited or sad they left. lol

Well yeah, I get that. However, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. On one hand they had a big influence on Halo 4 mp on the other they had a big influence on Halo 5's mp. I'm not sure if I should be excited or sad they left. lol

We will know how to feel when we see Halo 6 MP :p

Akai__

Tomorrows Warzone Sessions will focus on regular Warzone only, because you guys are so excited for an ugly looking armor. :p

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the 2nd sessions anymore. The sessions keep me going until 4am my time and that's a problem, since I'll be working again Sunday mornings starting next week. Somebody will have to take over the 2nd session, if you want to keep it going. And since we actually are always a full group, that shouldn't be a problem.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Matchmaking in arena has been really bad the past couple of days. I've had 2 high diamonds and a high plat carrying a mid-level silver and getting paired up against golds and low plat. I've also seen Onyx get paired against golds and low plat. The population must really be hurting if it's extending out that wide.

Trup1aya

Which has always been the issue with a studio concept like 343. It's got a pretty big built-in issue with retaining talent.

I imagine we'll see Frankie and Bonnie and co. stick around because they're doing franchise-wide stuff instead of just Halo games all day, but I don't begrudge people wanting to move on eventually.

Do franchise studios have more turnover than studios who aren't locked into a franchise? examples?

Seems like the customer reaction to halo4's mp was a bigger influence on Halo 5 mp than anyone person at the studio.

I don't think their departure will have much effect on the franchise going forward.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Matchmaking in arena has been really bad the past couple of days. I've had 2 high diamonds and a high plat carrying a mid-level silver and getting paired up against golds and low plat. I've also seen Onyx get paired against golds and low plat. The population must really be hurting if it's extending out that wide.

Yeah that's been going on for a while now, I've posted some ridiculous examples of Diamonds and Onyxs against golds and silvers with predictable results.

The user base is really small is probably the reason, I have run many times into same gamer tags which really shouldn't happen very offen.

my aim and gameplay has gone to shits this season.
Arena slayer k/d went from 1.2 to 0.6
don;t want to play game 10 lol

no idea why my aim % has been hurting. was averaging 53% now am closer to 40%

win% went from 60% to 20%

Fuchsdh

Do franchise studios have more turnover than studios who aren't locked into a franchise? examples?

Seems like the customer reaction to halo4's mp was a bigger influence on Halo 5 mp than anyone person at the studio.

I don't think their departure will have much effect on the franchise going forward.

Looking a 343's example you've had a lot of head positions vacated with the release of each game, but I don't have hard numbers (I don't think *anyone* actually measures this stuff industry-wide.)

Ok time to start the Warzone grind, so that we can get the precious Achilles armor and show the power and legacy of our great Spartan Company to the world HaloGAF !

Also to start playing The Division
kappa.png

Trup1aya

Looking a 343's example you've had a lot of head positions vacated with the release of each game, but I don't have hard numbers (I don't think *anyone* actually measures this stuff industry-wide.)

It just seems to me like there is generally a decent amount of turnover after the release of games, whether a studio has been relegated to franchise duty or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if 343 enjoys a bit more consistency due to the fact that people are hiring on specifically because they WANT to work on Halo, rather than work at a studio that decides to make a game they aren't personally interested in.

Yeah that's been going on for a while now, I've posted some ridiculous examples of Diamonds and Onyxs against golds and silvers with predictable results.

The user base is really small is probably the reason, I have run many times into same gamer tags which really shouldn't happen very offen.
Yeah, even when I leave the lobby after a game, if I restart the search half the time it seems like I get put with the same players or lobby. Do you think that's the sole reason or is it just the way their matching algorithm works?

Wasn't Breakout created because of Kevin Franklin? I think I remember that from one of The Sprint episodes. Probably wasn't very happy to see his creation pulled from HCS.

JackHerer

Wasn't Breakout created because of Kevin Franklin? I think I remember that from one of The Sprint episodes. Probably wasn't very happy to see his creation pulled from HCS.

I believe he was one of its champions within the studio. They did that whole sprint episode about how much he loves paintball and how that influenced the dev of Breakout.

He was the lead multiplayer designer on H4 and Warzone in H5. Basically he has a knack for creating flashy but unbalanced MP. Don't think his departure spells doom for H6.

IHaveIce

Banned
Tomorrows Warzone Sessions will focus on regular Warzone only, because you guys are so excited for an ugly looking armor. :p

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the 2nd sessions anymore. The sessions keep me going until 4am my time and that's a problem, since I'll be working again Sunday mornings starting next week. Somebody will have to take over the 2nd session, if you want to keep it going. And since we actually are always a full group, that shouldn't be a problem.

I could do the 2nd session, though I think it will form from alone nowadays.

You really started something good there :)

Top Bottom