• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Ramirez

I don't really have a problem with trash talk, but I tuned in towards the end and my kid wanted to watch. I missed the "they're so fucking bad" moment, but you can't allow that type of stuff if you want this to be seen by a lot of people and be taken serious.

I know there's a million times worse stuff said on a NFL field or whatever probably, difference being we don't get live listen ins during the heat of the moment, lol.

singhr1

I just hope I can see Halo 5's enemy AI in all its glory from the campaign. Knights and Hunters need to be deflecting rockets and grenades, dodging left and right, etc. The dynamic objectives is exactly what I was hoping normal Warzone would have but ah well, I guess the chaos lives in Firefight :)

Bunch of Firefight screenshots:
Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-One-on-One.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-Boss-Battle.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-Threat.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-Tank-Ride.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-Warden.jpg

More here:http://news.xbox.com/media/

belushy

Banned
Hoping to see Clutch play instead of Coach, and hopefully Legit returns full time.

Also hoping to see other past pros try and get into the pro league with lower ranking teams. T2, Robbie B, FiS, Tizoxic, etc. Would be cool to see old faces return. I remember seeing Mackeo's name pop up in a few teams during the qualifying.

tootsi666

Pros shouldn't be thinking about what someone might think about things they say during a live match. I think it's better if they don't do listen-ins in the future before someone says something about sponsors and gets to trouble

That said, I don't have a problem with swearing, trash-talk etc.

Trup1aya

I don't really have a problem with trash talk, but I tuned in towards the end and my kid wanted to watch. I missed the "they're so fucking bad" moment, but you can't allow that type of stuff if you want this to be seen by a lot of people and be taken serious.

I know there's a million times worse stuff said on a NFL field or whatever probably, difference being we don't get live listen ins during the heat of the moment, lol.

Actually, if you listen closely to NFL broadcasts, you can here players and coaches curse all the time... Then there's those occasions where the crowd chants "bullshit" after a bad call. It's great stuff.

As far as Warzone is concerned, 3 things:

1) it looks like fun, but I really would liked a classic, 4 man, endless, survival mode like we had in ODST. That remains the best FF in the series to me.

2) it's pretty awesome that 343i was able to cook this up in 8 months, after admitting that they had no plans for firefight, but would do it if it was heavily requested.

3) it's pretty silly that 343i needed post launch feedback to know that Halo players want firefight. I reckon that if this mode was available day 1, it would have drawn in Req$ to rival Warzone itself.

Ramirez

Actually, if you listen closely to NFL broadcasts, you can here players and coaches curse all the time... Then there's those occasions where the crowd chants "bullshit" after a bad call. It's great stuff.

As far as Warzone is concerned, 3 things:

1) it looks like fun, but I really would liked a classic, 4 man, endless, survival mode like we had in ODST. That remains the best FF in the series to me.

2) it's pretty awesome that 343i was able to cook this up in 8 months, after admitting that they had no plans for firefight, but would do it if it was heavily requested.

3) it's pretty silly that 343i needed post launch feedback to know that Halo players want firefight. I reckon that if this mode was available day 1, it would have drawn in Req$ to rival Warzone itself.

Difference being...no one had to "listen closely" for that one.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
God damn I wish renegades could be consistently the team they were early on. They looked legitimately on fire, wish we could have seen that team against clg in the finals.

Really hope they stick together, they've made huuuge gains.

Madness

im just excited for roster changes.

wonder if naded will retire, or keep playing [should really have joined eg will he had the chance].

Maybe, but he made it to the finals with Allegiance while EG finished 5th-8th. I honestly think even if he went with EG they wouldn't have been good enough to stop CLG. CLG just too good right now at all aspects of the game. Movement, slaying, gunplay and objective. EG with Naded would be a pretty stacked team. Can't wait to see how it shakes up for pro league.

As for the listen ins, the players don't know when it's a listen in and are in the heat of the moment. I don't even know why they even do listen in anymore. It's hard to hear a single thing that is said. But you have the potential for swear words and other things to be said.

Fuchsdh

The timer counts down. D:

I hope they can get an endless mode in somehow.

No way are they holding this for that long. It'll definitely be included in one of the announced updates. The Reach one, if we're lucky.

I could go either way. They showed it as the last bit of the planned lineup, but they've been teasing it so hard I feel like it's gotta' be coming sooner if they've got it up and working right now.

In more interesting news, it looks like the YT description offers some more useful tidbits:

Warzone Firefight is an ambitious new multiplayer experience that takes the initial promise of Halo 5’s Warzone multiplayer – the epic battles, incredible scale and huge maps – and applies that to create the biggest Halo cooperative experience ever in franchise history. In Warzone Firefight, up to eight players will work together to complete five rounds of increasingly difficult, dynamic objectives set against a timer to emerge victorious.

The prospect of teaming up with seven other players to take on a plethora of enemies using the REQ System has us all eagerly awaiting the release of Warzone Firefight this summer. Be sure to stay tuned to Halo Waypoint, Xbox Wire and follow the official Halo Twitter for all the latest Halo 5: Guardians Warzone Firefight news.

So it's an 8vE mode, which is more than I expected. And it seems like it's time trial-based, which seems like a smart idea if you're going to have it be in matchmaking.

Velcoro

We need an HCS playlist hopefully it comes soon.

If 343 wants Breakout to be competitive they need to make it like S&D in COD. Offense and Defense. I still like playing Breakout but it's just not competitive atm needs some tweaks.

op_ivy

Wonder if we'll see sandbox tweaks now that season 1 is done. Despite the am tryhard not-quite-pro outrage, the actual pros seem fine with radar. Will we see auto tweaks though? Storm rifle nerfs?

We need an HCS playlist hopefully it comes soon.

If 343 wants Breakout to be competitive they need to make it like S&D in COD. Offense and Defense. I still like playing Breakout but it's just not competitive atm needs some tweaks.

Team Arena is supposed to be the HCS playlist, though obviously that got tossed out the window when they added Assault :p

Might be brought back into line when they add Assault to HCS which I assume is coming. Oddball too maybe.

Wonder if we'll see sandbox tweaks now that season 1 is done. Despite the am tryhard not-quite-pro outrage, the actual pros seem fine with radar. Will we see auto tweaks though? Storm rifle nerfs?

Very possible. Gotta imagine they'll be doing a lot of polling in the community to see what changes they need.

Nowise10

I have an overwhelming feeling that Warzone Firefight is going to be dissapointing. Like Its only going to be Escape on ARC for the first month and they'll update new maps in later. Or it's just going to feel like a "rehash" rather then an actual new solid game mode.

Fuchsdh

I have an overwhelming feeling that Warzone Firefight is going to be dissapointing. Like Its only going to be Escape on ARC for the first month and they'll update new maps in later. Or it's just going to feel like a "rehash" rather then an actual new solid game mode.

On that note, I can say it's entirely possible. But insofar as a rehash I think it's going to have enough to keep me occupied. Warzone hasn't gotten stale for me even with the limited pool of maps. A lot of that I think comes down to the REQ system as well—you have a pretty tremendous flexibility with how you want to play the game.

op_ivy

How can it feel like a rehash, halo 5 has nothing of the sort? I could see it falling flat, being that it's going to inevitably be different than firefight that's come before, but it will be something new.

I could go either way. They showed it as the last bit of the planned lineup, but they've been teasing it so hard I feel like it's gotta' be coming sooner if they've got it up and working right now.

In more interesting news, it looks like the YT description offers some more useful tidbits:

So it's an 8vE mode, which is more than I expected. And it seems like it's time trial-based, which seems like a smart idea if you're going to have it be in matchmaking.

It is more like ME3 were they are random objective per round that players did sometimes a few times per round. You really didn't need to complete objective, but everyone did it in my experience. Looks like here you might have to do it to actually win.

Nowise10

How can it feel like a rehash, halo 5 has nothing of the sort? I could see it falling flat, being that it's going to inevitably be different than firefight that's come before, but it will be something new.

I meant like...I don't know. Using the same starting animations and Palmer dialogues, and then missing like the elements that were in previous Firefights. Not actually crafting a true solid Firefight experience.

When I imagine back to Firefight, I think back to the intense moments in ODST when their is 5 enemies left and Jeff counting down every enemy left, with the intense music playing, or the dreaded "One life left!". Just all of what Bungie did combined made Firefight enjoyable.

I could just see this Firefight being like, weak in comparison to the prior games, if you understand what I am saying.

Velcoro

Team Arena is supposed to be the HCS playlist, though obviously that got tossed out the window when they added Assault :p

Might be brought back into line when they add Assault to HCS which I assume is coming. Oddball too maybe.

Haha yeah for sure. Warlord Assault was pretty big in H2 and H2A. Assault I don't think was even an MLG gametype in H3.

In order for it to work in H5 it needs to fit the map so I guess we'll see. Arena also has the new maps like Overgrowth and Riptide so those would have to be removed too in an HCS playlist.

I gotta admit though playing on MCC in the HCS playlist was so damn hard lol would get destroyed on a daily

The 80,000 RP requirement is insane, if I didn't have any disposable income I wouldn't have a single pack. :/
So are the armory packs no longer on sale? I just assumed they would no longer be available after midnight pdt last night. I somehow managed to exert enough willpower and didn't purchase any. But I did finally get the arena pack thing at half price. So there is that.

The British tried to name one of its boats Pillar of Autumn.

Haha yeah for sure. Warlord Assault was pretty big in H2 and H2A. Assault I don't think was even an MLG gametype in H3.

In order for it to work in H5 it needs to fit the map so I guess we'll see. Arena also has the new maps like Overgrowth and Riptide so those would have to be removed too in an HCS playlist.

I gotta admit though playing on MCC in the HCS playlist was so damn hard lol would get destroyed on a daily

They played The Rig Slayer at HWC so...

More likely they add all the new maps now that they've got a season break to make changes in, really.

The thing about HCS is, unlike in most previous games, the settings are basically the same. All that changes is the featureset, maps, modes, that sort of thing. I think it's more likely that content will be added to HCS than removed from a playlist to fit it.

Strider

I think there is a decent chance radar gets removed from HCS tbh. It may not but I wouldn't be surprised...

And if it does I expect an HCS playlist to follow. I mentioned it before but I'd love Team Arena to be converted to a Team HCS playlist with only competitive rules, maps, and game types... Then put in a permanent social arena playlist which includes all the map/gametype combinations.

The dreeeaaaam.

I think there is a decent chance radar gets removed from HCS tbh. It may not but I wouldn't be surprised...

And if it does I expect an HCS playlist to follow. I mentioned it before but I'd love Team Arena to be converted to a Team HCS playlist with only competitive rules, maps, and game types... Then put in a permanent social arena playlist which includes all the map/gametype combinations.

The dreeeaaaam.

i know the whole concept of radar removal has some traction on GAF, but is there any precedent for this? [ie - has it ever happened in HCS play before? i never followed it previous to 5 so this is an honest question]

i've always just associated radar so closely with halo i worry i'd not recognize / enjoy the game without it - although that's probably an overblown fear and i can see how the game would improve [in certain ways] were it removed.

belushy

Banned

The dreeeaaaam.

I think the no radar stuff would also fix the auto weapon issue, too.

belushy

Banned
They are just a tad overused in my opinion, that is all. I like autos in competitive but the spawns need to be extended or placed at different areas on the map.

edit: As for radar, it would stop players seeing an opponent on the radar and then instantly pulling out the AR and corner camping. They are too powerful in those situations.

Fuchsdh

slayer has always been a gametype in competitive Halo though I can't see it being removed anytime soon. that would be pretty crazy if it was

Yeah as much as I love objectives Slayer is a part of the game (that's why I stick with Team Arena, because I like the blend.)

I suppose you can argue Slayer rewards different kinds of players and teams but that's the case with any different objective.

i know the whole concept of radar removal has some traction on GAF, but is there any precedent for this? [ie - has it ever happened in HCS play before? i never followed it previous to 5 so this is an honest question]

i've always just associated radar so closely with halo i worry i'd not recognize / enjoy the game without it - although that's probably an overblown fear and i can see how the game would improve [in certain ways] were it removed.

Competitive Halo never had radar before, heck in the pre-release beta tournament they covered the (30m maphack) radar with a badge.

Madness

Competitive Halo never had radar before, heck in the pre-release beta tournament they covered the (30m maphack) radar with a badge.

Oh yeah. Radar needs to go for the pro league. Just embarrassing seeing crouch walking and radar watching with storm rifle and whatnot at this level. It also would make strongholds that much more intense if people couldn't tell if someone was near them. Now is the perfect time to remove it so the pros can get used to it before pro league starts.

They are just a tad overused in my opinion, that is all. I like autos in competitive but the spawns need to be extended or placed at different areas on the map.

edit: As for radar, it would stop players seeing an opponent on the radar and then instantly pulling out the AR and corner camping. They are too powerful in those situations.

ah cool, thanks for explaining!

totally hear the sense in your suggestion actually.

and yeah, as i said, did not follow halo outside of playing it casually in residence / online until this latest release [despite playing since the beginning] - so very interesting to hear that radar was never used competitively before.

didn't CLG say they'd be practising without radar to prepare for the coming season or something to that extent?

did any squad say that?

has charles lost his marbles?

Fuchsdh

I meant like...I don't know. Using the same starting animations and Palmer dialogues, and then missing like the elements that were in previous Firefights. Not actually crafting a true solid Firefight experience.

When I imagine back to Firefight, I think back to the intense moments in ODST when their is 5 enemies left and Jeff counting down every enemy left, with the intense music playing, or the dreaded "One life left!". Just all of what Bungie did combined made Firefight enjoyable.

I could just see this Firefight being like, weak in comparison to the prior games, if you understand what I am saying.

343 is clearly interested in building a coolp system that A) leverages the REQ system, B) works with whatever guts they built for Warzone, and C) works in a matchmaking setting.

If it's more arcadey, that's fine with me. FF Limited never worked in Reach.

EDIT: And it tickles me whenever Madness and Smartwaffles post at the same time.

The dreeeaaaam.

This should be the optimal solution but I'm not holding my hopes for it. Prove me wrong Josh.

Oh yeah. Radar needs to go for the pro league. Just embarrassing seeing crouch walking and radar watching with storm rifle and whatnot at this level. It also would make strongholds that much more intense if people couldn't tell if someone was near them. Now is the perfect time to remove it so the pros can get used to it before pro league starts.

I don't keep up at all with the pro stuff, and I was kind of taken aback they had radar at the tournament.

It's fantastic that the Pro gametypes are basically matchmaking gametypes (unlike, say... Reach), but radar is ridiculous for that level.

Top Bottom