• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Chittagong

Gold Member
What would you guys suggest as a good next step now that I managed to reach my goal of grinding to Plat solo on Slayer? I really enjoyed learning the maps inside out, and learning the core mechanics, but must admit I do feel a bit burned out from the grind so I might take a few days off slayer.

I could either go to Team Arena and learn the objective games, or learn entirely new maps in BTB. Or even learn a completely new game type with Warzone. Note that I'm still playing solo for now.

hi everyone!

I just picked up Halo 5 over the weekend and was looking for a decent guide to wrap my head around the MP. I'm mainly a slayer player and i'm just looking to get by bearings given that this game appears to play pretty differently from even halo 4 from the brief time i played.

Anything i can read as a beginner so I don't get destroyed repeatedly?

hi everyone!

I just picked up Halo 5 over the weekend and was looking for a decent guide to wrap my head around the MP. I'm mainly a slayer player and i'm just looking to get by bearings given that this game appears to play pretty differently from even halo 4 from the brief time i played.

Well for one, warzone will probably be difficult just because you have no cards right now. Youll probably die a lot in there so just tell yourself that its normal.

Chittagong

Gold Member
hi everyone!

From a recent beginner to another, my top learnings from the last two months:

General gameplay
- Don't rush into situations, re-evaluate where to go each time you spawn
- Keep track of where your enemies are likely to be
- It's ok not to finish a kill if you are on low health, that's what team mates are for
- Learn locations of weapon and power-up and keep track of their respawn timings
- Learn to use all weapons, many of them are left laying around but can give you an edge (e.g. Hydras, Storm Rifle, Plasma Caster)
- Learn to use the different abilities, boost dodge is vital, and Spartan Charge can be a real killer too
- Stick together with your team
- Did I mention, don't rush into situations?

Matchmaking
- If you end up in a very lopsided match, back out of matchmaking, or you'll likely get matched against the same players
- And other way around, if you get onto a winning team, stay on matchmaking, odds are you'll end up there again
- Times when teams are most likely to be able to find joint time are worst for solo players, so avoid them, Saturday afternoon / evening is the worst

Korosenai

So has anyone discovered yet what the optimal controller settings are for look sensitivity, look acceleration, inner dead zone, and outer dead zone?

Just finished a match of swatnums and then got a pop up saying im banned from halo 5 for quitting a game.

I didn't quit the game it just ended, but on halo waypoint it says i quit a game of slayer that never even existed, but apparently had 0 kills and 6 deaths in it.

So basically I was in two matches at once? I was only playing one (for obvious reasons) and was banned for not playing the game i wasn't even in?

Has this ever happened to anyone else before. Here is the details of the matches.

They're releasing a new WZ map in the next update, nice shit posting though.

But obviously not specifically for firefight. Which is what I was talking about. But thanks for picking a fight.

So has anyone discovered yet what the optimal controller settings are for look sensitivity, look acceleration, inner dead zone, and outer dead zone?

It's not going to be the same for everyone so there is no definitive answer. Some people like high acceleration and low sensitivity, others like low acceleration and high sensitivity. Most commonly though I see people liking 2 acceleration and significantly reduced deadzones.

Just finished a match of swatnums and then got a pop up saying im banned from halo 5 for quitting a game.

I didn't quit the game it just ended, but on halo waypoint it says i quit a game of slayer that never even existed, but apparently had 0 kills and 6 deaths in it.

So basically I was in two matches at once? I was only playing one (for obvious reasons) and was banned for not playing the game i wasn't even in?

Has this ever happened to anyone else before. Here is the details of the matches.

I've gotten banned out of nowhere before. Ive also gotten warned for leaving custom games. It's definitely wonky sometimes.

Well for one, warzone will probably be difficult just because you have no cards right now. Youll probably die a lot in there so just tell yourself that its normal.

From a recent beginner to another, my top learnings from the last two months:

General gameplay
- Don't rush into situations, re-evaluate where to go each time you spawn
- Keep track of where your enemies are likely to be
- It's ok not to finish a kill if you are on low health, that's what team mates are for
- Learn locations of weapon and power-up and keep track of their respawn timings
- Learn to use all weapons, many of them are left laying around but can give you an edge (e.g. Hydras, Storm Rifle, Plasma Caster)
- Learn to use the different abilities, boost dodge is vital, and Spartan Charge can be a real killer too
- Stick together with your team
- Did I mention, don't rush into situations?

Matchmaking
- If you end up in a very lopsided match, back out of matchmaking, or you'll likely get matched against the same players
- And other way around, if you get onto a winning team, stay on matchmaking, odds are you'll end up there again
- Times when teams are most likely to be able to find joint time are worst for solo players, so avoid them, Saturday afternoon / evening is the worst

seems like some good tips!

I noticed that the shield acts differently in H5. Is that tied at all to the boost ability? Or what the hell is going on with the shield in this game?

Akai__

You guys are forgetting that the next Update will have the Railgun Mantis.

Stick and Button Layouts are personal preference, but I play on these settings:

Sensitivity: 3
Look Accelaration: 2
Inner and Outer Deadzones: 0%

That's also what the pro players recommend doing +/- 1 on Sensitivity and Look Accelaration. Play arround with those settings a little (in Social maybe) and find the ideal ones for yourself.

Korosenai

But obviously not specifically for firefight. Which is what I was talking about. But thanks for picking a fight.

It's not going to be the same for everyone so there is no definitive answer. Some people like high acceleration and low sensitivity, others like low acceleration and high sensitivity. Most commonly though I see people liking 2 acceleration and significantly reduced deadzones.
Should I tweak both inner and outer dead zones? Still kind of confused on what both do.

Should I tweak both inner and outer dead zones? Still kind of confused on what both do.

I think most people reduce both, yes. I've got my inner very low, maybe even zero. I reduced my outer too but not all the way to zero. I don't remember specifically what value though and I can't check right now.

I noticed that the shield acts differently in H5. Is that tied at all to the boost ability? Or what the hell is going on with the shield in this game?

Shield doesn't start recharging if you sprint. You'll notice a very thin line at the top of the shield bar that rapidly moves R to L when shields are down: this is the countdown for your shields to start regenerating. Sprinting stops and resets the countdown.

This is just me but I would play through the campaign on an easy or normal setting with the sole purpose of getting familiar with all the new abilities. I didn't play the halo 5 beta and it took a long time for me to feel comfortable with thrusters, spartan charge, sliding, ground pound, clamber, and stabalizing. Its a lot of new mechanics and you might get frustrated if you simply rush into matchmaking. Just purposely make yourself try different things so that you can know what your Spartan is capable of. My 2 cents lol.

This is just me but I would play through the campaign on an easy or normal setting with the sole purpose of getting familiar with all the new abilities. I didn't play the halo 5 beta and it took a long time for me to feel comfortable with thrusters, spartan charge, sliding, ground pound, clamber, and stabalizing. Its a lot of new mechanics and you might get frustrated if you simply rush into matchmaking. Just purposely make yourself try different things so that you can know what your Spartan is capable of. My 2 cents lol.

That's fair, that's usually what i do before going online with any game BUT i've never played Halo 4 so I'll need to plow through that first.

I guess i have things to play

Two Arena bundle REQ packs and the Spartan's Armory REQ pack are taunting me but I must resist the urge to open them.

Amazon? It was 50% off there.

Caved and bought the Arena REQ bundle lol
I caved too. I had already purchased the arena pack at half off. Last night I got one armory pack.. kind of disappointed I didn't get 2 of the new skins. I only got the Osiris pistol skin. I did get 2 other skins, but they were older reqs - the neogaf (last dawn) SMG skin and an ugly prestige dmr skin. Perhaps the best thing for me was getting the center mass stance unlocked. Best stance for showing off pistol skins imo. But I knew to temper my expectations since I haven't finished my silver reqs yet so whatevs.

jem0208

Just went to sudden death in a game where I was using a legendary win req boost and we lost because the guy who went 6 for 14 died.

Fuck me.

Wonder if the Spiker will come back since they are doing that BoomCo one.

EDIT:
Mattel-BOOMco-Halo-Brute-Spiker.jpg

I would love that. Might as well add in Brutes for more variety as well.

I think the Spiker is getting a toy because of Halo Wars 2 =(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Right, so Team Arena can't be played solo on low levels (gold/plat).

Most people at those levels have no clue of the objectives or how to play those game types at all, they seem to treat every game as slayer. I can carry the balls and flags, but I would need some defense. I wish I had a mic so I would yell at them.

I'll try BTB next.

Right, so Team Arena can't be played solo on low levels (gold/plat).

Most people at those levels have no clue of the objectives or how to play those game types at all, they seem to treat every game as slayer. I can carry the balls and flags, but I would need some defense. I wish I had a mic so I would yell at them.

I'll try BTB next.

the amount of times i've watched platinum level players just completely ignore objectives...

then they message me to tell me how much i suck because i'm the only one who's been flag running and thus have less kills...

grown ass men too, i can hear their voices!

Would love it if radar in Team Arena got switch to not showing up when your plain walking. Also small nerf to auto's plz. Also Mercenary playlist plz.

Welfare

Maybe walking on radar could just be the very tiny marine dot that is used in Warzone, and the full dot is for using Spartan abilities?

Well now that the 2016 Halo World Championship is over all I have to say is that I feel very happy, proud and grateful of been part of it and now that I'm able to say it get ready for the pro league and the 2017 HWC! ;)

Glass

Well now that the 2016 Halo World Championship is over all I have to say is that I feel very happy, proud and grateful of been part of it and now that I'm able to say it get ready for the pro league and the 2017 HWC! ;)

It was quite the ride, awesome you got to be a part of it.

Can't wait to see what happens next, the League format and such. Shame MLG won't be a part of it going ahead, fucking Activision!

Would love it if radar in Team Arena got switch to not showing up when your plain walking. Also small nerf to auto's plz. Also Mercenary playlist plz.

no, no auto nerfs for christ's sake.

we finally have weapons that are ALL deadly, and people want to return to the shitty bungie balance days?

no no no!

edit: radar adjustments sure, but don't touch autos.

Top Bottom