• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Maybe we'll some new talent enter the mix because of this.

hopefully!

if money is what it takes to convince people, then so be it.

just frustrating to see such a lame game [imho] as COD dominate the console twitch / e-sports world.

HCS has been so. entertaining. to watch so far - such a high skill ceiling and the higher ttk means there's actually something to witness [as opposed to COD, where i'm always like wtf just happened].

edit: side-note, i sure hope these boys remember to pay their taxes, man... those earnings

BraXzy

Played quite a few games of Team Arena tonight, getting back into the swing of things.

Assault came up so many times though! It doesn't feel ranked though, feels like social objective with a man down hehe.

BraXzy

Impressive

CeCNClJW0AEHn8T.jpg:large

Some hella nice earnings there! Reminds me of the stat sheet for top earners from Dota 2. The tournaments for that game are ridonkulous.

With all the of the team jumping, limited time to practice due to the roster lock and what not, I kind of view this as the true start of the HCS while everything before was just a warm-up. Halo. Starts. Now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stinkles can i get my skins from the glitched REQ pack this weekend? GT same as GAF name. Bravo and Unyshek ignored me on twitter.

Hey, info coming for those who got a faulty Spartan's Armory pack coming very soon. Hang tight just a light longer, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got the game yesterday. was playing through campaign and I'm pretty sure I heard a covenant elite say "Come here you stupid cunt!" I was like wtf.

There were a couple times I should have saved the clip because it was funny. One such time was when I had warden charging at me and I just backed up firing a scattershot in his face just out of his range. I kept loading one round and firing and loading another but it went pretty quickly almost like normal firing. Took almost all my ammo to do. Good ol shotguns never fail.

Dice

After seeing the story for this, Microsoft putting Cortana in Windows 10 is even creepier than it was.

ummm - not sure how this is relevant.

[so have i?]

i retract my welcome, you lack humour.
Huh? I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to whine when you know from years of experience that there is always a learning process. Have to get used to the controls, learn the maps, then you're on a level tactical playing field. Might be even rougher for newcomers with this because of the REQ system but I don't know how advantageous it is for those who have gotten more things.

Edit:
No wonder he called you a stupid cunt. ;P
ignore is a blissful function. :)
Are you guys trying to make enemies? These responses make no sense at all. At least be sure what someone is saying before you decide to hate them.

NeOak

Man, this still is happening:

I made it to illustrate it. Yeah yeah, it's $2.50, but still.

I'm saying this because I opened a pack from it but the refund was still processed after that. It still shows as If I own it, which isn't true at this point, so I can't buy it again.

Wonder if ninja and spartan would be interested in gaining his services?

It's going to be interesting, how will EG go with suspector?
I think lunchbox is a weak link, and even snipedown seems a bit off atm.

Right now it seems like CLG is so far ahead of everyone else, there needs to be another 1 or 2 teams at that level.

Wonder if ninja and spartan would be interested in gaining his services?

It's going to be interesting, how will EG go with suspector?
I think lunchbox is a weak link, and even snipedown seems a bit off atm.

Right now it seems like CLG is so far ahead of everyone else, there needs to be another 1 or 2 teams at that level.

hard to tell who might've been the weakest link on EG after the worlds... they were all playing like they had the yips [like, mad yips].

Dice

Well I'm placing lower mid field in Warzone, so that's not a bad start. I wonder how much chosen play time impacts on this game. In Destiny in the afternoon/prime-time I felt like a god among the average player, but in the middle of the night I felt like I was surrounded by gods because only the people no-lifeing it were playing then. People here seem to be gravitating to long distance guns but aren't very good at mid-to-close range fighting. I'd guess that is a symptom of the mode more than a general game trait like in Battlefront.

Spartan and Ninja won't stay together.
Calling it.

I think they will, they both seem like similar personalities and ninja seems to talk spartan up a fair bit.

I have seen some people say they don't like spartan but he seems alright to me, and he's a damn good player.

I think they will look to recruit unless an irresistible offer comes up... Don't know where from however.

Well I'm placing lower mid field in Warzone, so that's not a bad start. I wonder how much chosen play time impacts on this game. In Destiny in the afternoon/prime-time I felt like a god among the average player, but in the middle of the night I felt like I was surrounded by gods because only the people no-lifeing it were playing then. People here seem to be gravitating to long distance guns but aren't very good at mid-to-close range fighting. I'd guess that is a symptom of the mode more than a general game trait like in Battlefront.

Did you finish the campaign yet?

Dice

Got a double kill grenade to defend my spawn location then wasted 3 guys with my battle rifle running into their base then used fuel rod cannon to blow up the core solo. Felt REAL good. I think I'll end the night on that note.

Did you finish the campaign yet?
Yes.

Got a double kill grenade to defend my spawn location then wasted 3 guys with my battle rifle running into their base then used fuel rod cannon to blow up the core solo. Felt REAL good. I think I'll end the night on that note.

Yes.

Already REQin them :p

Did you enjoy it?

IHaveIce

Banned
I think they will, they both seem like similar personalities and ninja seems to talk spartan up a fair bit.

I have seen some people say they don't like spartan but he seems alright to me, and he's a damn good player.

I think they will look to recruit unless an irresistible offer comes up... Don't know where from however.
They are too similiar and are both headcases.
Both have respect for each other but I think they know it won't work out for the next season.

Dice

Did you enjoy it?
Yeah. The added maneuver boost gives it a touch of Unreal Tournament feel, the new melee moves and seemingly modified shields that start recharge sooner (and your team) allows you to get more in the thick of it and go wild rather than mostly being defensive in big battles, and that feeling was enhanced by the climbing ability so you could get into would-be dumb situations then bail out over a ledge to flank someone else, plus the guns all felt great so it was more worth it to switch out to random stuff dropped by the enemies.

There were also a lot less of the "forced path" designs that Halo 4 had with the stupid overlapping double back ovals where you had to run up a ramp while people shot at you from both above and across the way, so you were basically just dealing with constant position trolling. Instead, this game gave a lot of freedom in the level design for how you wanted to tackle things and go up or in or around levels with lots of tunnels and holes or high ground, finding more clusters of enemies everywhere but not too exposed to 100 at once unless you weren't paying attention or wanted to be as part of a devious strategy.

After playing Destiny I was a bit worried that this was going to be too much like older Halo games with fairly direct clashes or big open field battles and not have that wild scrappy "in the thick of it" feeling that Destiny has, but it does and does it even better because of the Halo weapon hot swapping rather than cheesy powers and RPG stuff. I never felt like I had to wait on anything or be overly defensive. I could always get in there and go crazy and have leeway to mix it up if an idea wasn't turning out too well. The ideas that did, however, made for some really fun kill combo moments and weapon synergies.

I wasn't a big fan of those dumb turrets that charge up and fire lasers tho because they were stupid easy to avoid and just took an annoying amount of fire to blow up. I usually just half-ignored dodged them easily while I killed everyone then blew them up at the end like a chore.

Overall it has the things most important to me in an action game:
-Enough mobility and variety at hand for creative, player-expressive play*
-Dynamic mechanics and engagements rather than prescribed tactics**
-Lets you be in the scrap, taking risks, riding the fine line of death.

*A non-shooter example would be DMC or Bayonetta, or a hybrid example would be RE6.
**Meaning, nothing like necessitated wall cover gameplay where you spend too much time waiting. No rote actions to defeat an enemy like in Dark Souls were you often bait a hard swing then stab them in the recovery window. You can always do things in a new way and can be always-active.

Yeah. The added maneuver boost gives it a touch of Unreal Tournament feel, the new melee moves and seemingly modified shields that start recharge sooner (and your team) allows you to get more in the thick of it and go wild rather than mostly being defensive in big battles, and that feeling was enhanced by the climbing ability so you could get into would-be dumb situations then bail out over a ledge to flank someone else, plus the guns all felt great so it was more worth it to switch out to random stuff dropped by the enemies.

There were also a lot less of the "forced path" designs that Halo 4 had with the stupid overlapping double back ovals where you had to run up a ramp while people shot at you from both above and across the way, so you were basically just dealing with constant position trolling. Instead, this game gave a lot of freedom in the level design for how you wanted to tackle things and go up or in or around levels with lots of tunnels and holes or high ground, finding more clusters of enemies everywhere but not too exposed to 100 at once unless you weren't paying attention or wanted to be as part of a devious strategy.

After playing Destiny I was a bit worried that this was going to be too much like older Halo games with fairly direct clashes or big open field battles and not have that wild scrappy "in the thick of it" feeling that Destiny has, but it does and does it even better because of the Halo weapon hot swapping rather than cheesy powers and RPG stuff. I never felt like I had to wait on anything or be overly defensive. I could always get in there and go crazy and have leeway to mix it up if an idea wasn't turning out too well. The ideas that did, however, made for some really fun kill combo moments and weapon synergies.

I wasn't a big fan of those dumb turrets that charge up and fire lasers tho because they were stupid easy to avoid and just took an annoying amount of fire to blow up. I usually just half-ignored dodged them easily while I killed everyone then blew them up at the end like a chore.

Overall it has the things most important to me in an action game:
-Enough mobility and variety at hand for creative, player-expressive play*
-Dynamic mechanics and engagements rather than prescribed tactics**
-Lets you be in the scrap, taking risks, riding the fine line of death.

*A non-shooter example would be DMC or Bayonetta, or a hybrid example would be RE6.
**Meaning, nothing like necessitated wall cover gameplay where you spend too much time waiting. No rote actions to defeat an enemy like in Dark Souls were you often bait a hard swing then stab them in the recovery window. You can always do things in a new way and can be always-active.

I'm glad you liked it. I hope you will love multiplayer.

Didn't the Wardens annoyed you? :p
I never did the last fight with them. I used the glitch because I was playing on Legendary and I didn't want to suffer :D

Yeah, Dice gets at what I really enjoy about Halo, and particularly Halo 5 - you go in, shooting, jumping, grenading, swapping, meleeing, etc etc in a ridiuclously OTT ebb and flow of combat that's different every time. It's great fun and some of the H5 levels let it shine really well.

I'd say my main beef with H5's campaign is the vehicle levels still feeling a little narrow. They're actually pretty big and beefy when on foot, but when in a vehicle is still can't quite shake the sensation that everything is funnelling you.

Top Bottom