• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I really regret my purchase of Star Wars Battlefront on PC so I will get DOOM on my Xbox One or PS4

On topic: The HCS league it's going to be great I can't wait to hear more details

Glass

Hey guys, long time lapsed Halo fan here. I used to play a ton of Halo 1/2 split screen back in my early high school days, but my college group was mostly about PC gaming, so I didn't get around to Halo 3/later until getting a cheap 360 years down the line when it was already dead.

I have an Xbone on the way with MCC and Halo 5, and I'm wondering if there's any useful quality of life/"I wish I knew this before playing" tips for either of them. Is there a certain best way to play through the games in MCC? What's the deal with buying REQ packs in Halo 5 - I hear buy only silver packs until you've unlocked stuff, or something? Which packs should I keep or sell? Is there a GAF Spartan Company? Any useful links, etc?

As another long time Halo fan, expect the learning curve in H5 to be something of a rude awakening. It's definitely more challenging then previous Halo's imo, so don't sweat it if you get your ass handed to you, but persevere and when this game clicks for you, its great.

Trup1aya

I must be the only one who enjoys the ranking system. I liked it before the changed the skill distribution, but now it's been perfect. Just last night I had two strongholds matches that ended with scores within, and two Assualt OTs, one of which ended in a tie.
It was all gloriously sweaty!

How to fix the playlists:

- Create an HCS Playlist with competitive modes and maps with whatever the settings are (perhaps no radar this season?)

- Remove Team Arena, and put "Team Objective" instead with Flag, Strongholds, Assault, Ricochet, Oddball

- Keep the rest of the playlists

My sentiments exactly

Chittagong

Gold Member
Based on the discussion about low-level match making being pretty bad, I pulled some stats of my last couple of pages of matches to see how lop-sided games are.

In good match making, you should always end in a 50-4X end result, that's a pretty tight game. 50-3X starts to feel like the other team is just too good. 50-2X should never happen, and 50-1X and 50-0X are just a joke, a complete failure of matchmaking.

So here's what my last 75 or so games look like, regardless of whether I won or not. I'm Platinum 2.

50-4X IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
50-3X IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
50-2X IIIIIIIIIIIIII
50-1X IIIII
50-0X I

50-4X is still the largest group, but only barely. There are 20 instances where the matchmaking just completely broke down - meaning a result of 50-2X or worse.

In other words, in roughly 27% of the games the matchmaking is utterly terrible and people will have a bad time. That's a pretty high percentage, I think.

JaggedSac

Based on the discussion about low-level match making being pretty bad, I pulled some stats of my last couple of pages of matches to see how lop-sided games are.

In good match making, you should always end in a 50-4X end result, that's a pretty tight game. 50-3X starts to feel like the other team is just too good. 50-2X should never happen, and 50-1X and 50-0X are just a joke, a complete failure of matchmaking.

So here's what my last 75 or so games look like, regardless of whether I won or not. I'm Platinum 2.

50-2X IIIIIIIIIIIIII
50-1X IIIII
50-0X I

50-4X is still the largest group, but only barely. There are 20 instances where the matchmaking just completely broke down - meaning a result of 50-2X or worse.

In other words, in roughly 27% of the games the matchmaking is utterly terrible and people will have a bad time. That's a pretty high percentage, I think.

There was just a 50 - 2X game at the HCS finals, lol. Shit happens.

Strider

There was just a 50 - 2X game at the HCS finals, lol. Shit happens.

This. There are plenty of times at HCS that would be a good example of people or teams having good/bad games... How about RNG losing a series to ALG but RNG literally beat them 100-0 in Strongholds one game lol

Just because one particular game isn't close doesn't mean that "matchmaking completely failed" ... There are other variables. It's def not as high as 27%.

Poster#1

You get very significant amount of warzone reqs (a lot more than gold packs iirc) out of the premium packs which could pose a pay-2-win-ish problem. Understandable, but yeah I agree at this point it isn't really necessary.

I wish i could buy more since it's on sale :/. it's the only bundle i'm interested in.

Trup1aya

50-2X IIIIIIIIIIIIII
50-1X IIIII
50-0X I

Even the best matchmaking system can't predict whether or not each player will play to the best of their ability in a given match. It's based on everyone's average performance; it can't tell when you're about to have an outlier game. Then at the lower levels, you've probably got smurfing, and people who share their accounts accounts.

Same shit different day. So I see the start of this game and think right change tactic and support the weaker players:

Screenshot-Original.png

Still can't alter the game outcome, knowing what is coming. First game today after my post earlier. I emplore 343 to change lower tiers to individual ranks.

Again we lose:
Screenshot-Original.png

NeOak

So I thought about getting the Arena REQ bundle for the packs, and saw that it brings the Mark V Alpha armor as a bonus.

The armor turned me off. What a POS. "Lore based" my ass.

I'll wait for a bundle with the Mark V Gen 1. As in, just copy paste Halo 3's or Reach's FFS.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I thought about getting the Arena REQ bundle for the packs, and saw that it brings the Mark V Alpha armor as a bonus.

I'll wait for a bundle with the Mark V Gen 1. As in, just copy paste Halo 3's or Reach's FFS.

Yes, we will just copy and paste wholly different proportions, animation rigs, shaders, models, textures, geo, hitboxes and occlusion data. Don't know why those lazy devs never thought of that. Here's an exclusive preview:

21nacQA.gif

Well it's called Mk V Alpha, so hopefully we get Beta from Reach and then the finalized version that looks more akin to the Halo CE version. It looked good in 3 and 4, didn't care for the Mk V in Reach all that much.

Yes, we will just copy and paste wholly different proportions, animation rigs, shaders, models, textures, geo, hitboxes and occlusion data. Don't know why those lazy devs never thought of that. Here's an exclusive preview:

So glad you lazy devs are finally coming to your senses. :p

NeOak

21nacQA.gif

OMFG

giphy.gif

Well it's called Mk V Alpha, so hopefully we get Beta from Reach and then the finalized version that looks more akin to the Halo CE version. It looked good in 3 and 4, didn't care for the Mk V in Reach all that much.

I saw that some people use the Mark IV helmet with it.

Fuchsdh

Well it's called Mk V Alpha, so hopefully we get Beta from reach and then the finalized Halo CE version. It looked good in 3 and 4.

In terms of recreations I think it's CEA > 4 > 3. Halo 4's looked great but the chest proportions felt a little off, and so it seemed like your character was wearing too-small armor. Halo 3's helmet was just too round. And Reach's helmet was IMO worse than the Mk V Alpha. Why Bungie decided to give players the Mk V which was less interesting in every way is beyond me.

And yeah the MkIV helmet is close enough for me. I really actually like the Mk V alpha armor, so when I unlock everything the question will be do I go with Buck's ODST helmet or the Mk IV.

In terms of recreations I think it's CEA > 4 > 3. Halo 4's looked great but the chest proportions felt a little off, and so it seemed like your character was wearing too-small armor. Halo 3's helmet was just too round. And Reach's helmet was IMO worse than the Mk V Alpha. Why Bungie decided to give players the Mk V which was less interesting in every way is beyond me.

Yeah I don't like the Reach version, actually updated my post above. :p

That just looks bad.
I saw that some people use the Mark IV helmet with it.

I use the Mk IV, which is indeed great.

NeOak

It is funny after the Halo 4 and Halo 5 Spartan IVs with their more streamlined armor, the Reach guys just look fat :p

This made me look at my Reach statue.

Shiet. Even Jorge looks fat. Can't unsee. ;-;

In terms of recreations I think it's CEA > 4 > 3. Halo 4's looked great but the chest proportions felt a little off, and so it seemed like your character was wearing too-small armor.

I think its more of how the shape of the chest looks, after being used to something more of a rectangle with the Bungie versions. I didn't like it as much as first, but it grew on me and I like it a lot now.

Welfare

21nacQA.gif

Ah, finally we can see Mister Chief's brother, Esquire Chief.

Computer

With the HCS it would be cool if Walshly hosted a weekly highlight/info show.

I am no Walshy but I do have a weekly show about about the HCS. We stopped doing it because we just partnered up with UGC studios (they hosted the H2A HCS event in STL) and have been working things out. We will stream the show live from their production studio from now on. The show should kick off with in a week. I will defiantly get Walshy on as a guest.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am no Walshy but I do have a weekly show about about the HCS. We stopped doing it because we just partnered up with UGC studios (they hosted the H2A HCS event in STL) and have been working things out. We will stream the show live from their production studio from now on.The show should kick off with in a week. I will defiantly get Walshy on as a guest.

Cool. Will check it out. Thanks

Madness

21nacQA.gif

Exclusive sneak peek of upcoming 'Mister Chief Mock V' armor and emblem set.

Poster#1

Reach still has the best armor in the series. They actually look different from one another. H5 is just bloating REQ collection imo.

21nacQA.gif

Ever since we got the CE Magnum with a completely unique shader and whatnot, I've pitched the idea for Mister Chief armor in halogaf customs that used something similar to make a terrible amazing-looking set of armor that completely clashes with the rest of the suits. Something like this:

051.png

IHaveIce

Banned

21nacQA.gif

Post of the Thread.

Why does this look like a Wahrer drawing?

Cranster

Banned

21nacQA.gif
While I wouldn't call you guys lazy, I do wish your artists would quit redesigning things for the hell of it. We did not need a new Rocket Launcher design in Halo 5, we did not need a new Pelican design, we did not need a new Plasma Rifle design, we did not need Dinosaur Jackals, nor did Master Chiefs armour or Forward Unto Dawn need a redesign in Halo 4, ect.

I have no problems with original designs for new/original content, (the Prometheans are greatly improved in Halo 5) but the above examples are things I have huge issues with. Saber did things right with Halo 2 Anniversary imo by not making unnecessary artistic liberties.

Miker

As another long time Halo fan, expect the learning curve in H5 to be something of a rude awakening. It's definitely more challenging then previous Halo's imo, so don't sweat it if you get your ass handed to you, but persevere and when this game clicks for you, its great.

Yeah, so I've heard, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm so excited I've been opening REQ packs online even before I have the game in my hands.

Btw, I requested to join NeoGAF's B team Spartan Company. Dunno if whoever takes care of that frequents this thread.

Fuchsdh

The weirdest bit about playing Halo 5 and then going back to the MCC is Halo 4 feels incredibly fast and light in comparison. Also clamber has ruined me for skill jumps.

IHaveIce

Banned
So I said I wanted to make a post about my feelings about the HWC and its production and here it is, bear in mind English is not my native language and I'm barely trying to form a sentence that makes sense.

So where do we start? I don't want to put too much emphasis on production issues, how the tournament was run rules wise or who played who, but it all has a place in this discussion.

But eventhough it was the last day of the tournament I want to start my post with my thoughts on Sunday.. the Grand Finals Stream, it was about 2 hours long, featured 1 Series and everything else was advertisement...

So why? You can't tell me it was the most logical thing to rent the whole venue for a third day just for a 2 hours stream? Why not move other series to this day? Or like many wanted made the tournament Double Elim ( eventhough I don't think we needed that)
Also the argument "They tried to make an Event out of the Finals!" doesn't fit.. Why? Let us see:
  • -The announced worldpremiere of a new Warcraft clip: It was almost the same clip, with 2 scenes extra and more fitting music.
  • -The pro league announcement: A big thing and I get that if you don't have a date set in stone you can't announce anything, but seriously? This was nothing, just a sentence that it is coming? The community and crowd that is interested in this is watching right now? Tease something about it.
  • - The winner premiere: You tell us on stream, show them on twitter but never give the Winners on stream their Championship Rings?? Why? This doesn't even make sense
Firefight Reveal : the other big thing teased for Sunday... again there were over 100k people watching, and again I know no date set in stone but we know nothing new just through the video? It should have been a sprint like video, show us mechanics of spawning etc but all of us knew how fighting against NPCs does look?

Production issues on Friday and Saturday:
Moving up to the other days, I like how they tried something new with the Observer mode but how was it not appearant during tests that it caused vibrations on screen at Friday? Every overlay was shaking on friday? I blame new tech and trying to do something new, so forgiven but it was really weird.

Saturday the second Stream did not work for a long time and for a long while nobody on mainstream aknowledged it, hell even Goldenboy told us to go there to watch the Liquid match.. IT DID NOT WORK.

And... why was the whole tournament streamed in 30fps? This was really jarring.

But let us jump back to the Observer mode, cool little new feature.. and while they used it quite a bit, we know so few about it, after watching the tourney for 3 days I'm not sure if it is only for LAN Events, Dev exclusive or if We will also be able to use it someday? Again people are actually watching, you had enough spots for tons of advertisement, why not run a quick explanation video of Observer mode.

These were my issues with Production and stuff like this, moving on to Gameplay and Rulings:
So first of all I don't see the need for Double Elimination eventhough I love Loser's Bracket runs.
I also don't think the drawing for Bracketplay were bad, EG played CLG in the quarters.. so what? EG was bad this tourney, they have earned this draw and loss.

Though what I really don't like are the new CTF Overtime rulings.. replaying a WHOLE match after a tie? Why is it not a first to cap wins? Or a endless overtime? Really dumb.

Gameplay: I really dislike some of these Gametypes for deciding matches.. Rig Slayer? Ugh.
Everythign else is fine, I like Halo 5's gameplay and how it works out in tourneys.

Everything else was awesome and I loved it, I also said already I'm a CLG fan and I wanted them to win, so that was great.
Had to get this off my chest and if somebody cares even better :)

Top Bottom