• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Strider

I wish it was a little easier to score in Assault... So many games end in a tie and/or teams don't even reach the score limit.

But as someone who never really played Assault before H5 the more I've played it the less I like it... By far my least favorite gametype in the TA playlist atm. It comes up soooo often though :/

Edit: Also people will post anything on Beyond just for some damn rep points XD So many deletes in that HCS thread (for good reason).

Fuchsdh

I wish it was a little easier to score in Assault... So many games end in a tie and/or teams don't even reach the score limit.

But as someone who never really played Assault before H5 the more I've played it the less I like it... By far my least favorite gametype in the TA playlist atm. It comes up soooo often though :/

They'll probably dial it back when the next content update hits.

Trup1aya

I love it.

I don't find it any easier or more difficult than capture the flag. You establish map control, move the ball into the enemy base when you have numbers, then control the base for a few seconds.

Strider

They'll probably dial it back when the next content update hits.

Yea I know... Looking forward to it tbh. I'm really hoping we can get KotH and Oddball in matchmaking next.

I think there's a good chance Oddball gets put in at some point but not sure at all about KotH. Strongholds may have all out replaced it.

So many things have happened in Halo the last two weeks. I 've had so much to say as i lucked this thread.... during my 'ban' time lol.

HCS - Semi-Finals were hype. Finals were super hype as the first game was a tie. Felt the chills when i seen ALG give CLG a hard time. Then reality set in and.... yeah. lol

Anyway.... yay halo! lol

Dave Lang was watching the on-demand of HCS finals yesterday and was pretty hype on Twitter about it, lol.

IoKvOHhl.jpg

link1201

Dave Lang was watching the on-demand of HCS finals yesterday and was pretty hype on Twitter about it, lol.
I've been a Halo fan boy for awhile and this is the first time I actually sit down and watch this stuff. My favorite part is the movement around the map. I'm amazed at how fluidly everyone moves around the maps.

So many things have happened in Halo the last two weeks. I 've had so much to say as i lucked this thread.... during my 'ban' time lol.

HCS - Semi-Finals were hype. Finals were super hype as the first game was a tie. Felt the chills when i seen ALG give CLG a hard time. Then reality set in and.... yeah. lol

Anyway.... yay halo! lol

Welcome back ;)

I love it.

I don't find it any easier or more difficult than capture the flag. You establish map control, move the ball into the enemy base when you have numbers, then control the base for a few seconds.

In Gold/Plat more often than not Assault games end up 0-0 tie or a 1-0 win which isn't really fun.

I've been a Halo fan boy for awhile and this is the first time I actually sit down and watch this stuff. My favorite part is the movement around the map. I'm amazed at how fluidly everyone moves around the maps.

Yeah i agree! There movement is impecable. I wish i could traverse that good. I still can't get the fathom jump over the water to the top where railgun is.

Welcome back ;)

Thank you Sir. Glad you liked my clip haha

OneUh8

Excited to see how all the roster changes will sort out. Can't wait for the HCS Pro league. Expect to see lots more teams and hopefully more orgs joining up.

Caja 117

Finally done with the Silver packs!! now moving on to gold packs.

I love it.

I love assault, but it is harder to score on this gametype, is easier in Halo 5 because the arming timer doesn't reset if you are stop, but because you have to stay put in the enemy base for seconds to score makes it harder than CTF were you only need to reach the goal.

Man, this still is happening:

I made it to illustrate it. Yeah yeah, it's $2.50, but still.

I'm saying this because I opened a pack from it but the refund was still processed after that. It still shows as If I own it, which isn't true at this point, so I can't buy it again.

It was also $12.50 on Amazon during the HCS weekend.

Overall it has the things most important to me in an action game:
-Enough mobility and variety at hand for creative, player-expressive play*
-Dynamic mechanics and engagements rather than prescribed tactics**
-Lets you be in the scrap, taking risks, riding the fine line of death.

*A non-shooter example would be DMC or Bayonetta, or a hybrid example would be RE6.
**Meaning, nothing like necessitated wall cover gameplay where you spend too much time waiting. No rote actions to defeat an enemy like in Dark Souls were you often bait a hard swing then stab them in the recovery window. You can always do things in a new way and can be always-active.

The latter was why it was really easy for me to get into and continue playing the campaign. Outside of maybe like one encounter (the vehicle playground / triple knight + phaeton + wraiths clusterfuck midway through Genesis), it never really felt like you had to just hunker down and try to pick everything off one by one from a safe distance and pray you had enough ammo, and even then I'm pretty sure that part of Genesis was explicitly inspired by Two Betrayals. The closest encounter otherwise I would say is probably certain parts of the elevator ride in Evacuation, but even then the gunplay and effectiveness of the sandbox against the enemies means that you can actually play the game, rather than it just turning into a cover shooter, like you said.

New xbox one update rolling out today - This stood out to me :p

– Xbox Elite Wireless Controller improved thumbstick precision with firmware update: We heard from fans that you wanted to see improvements to the behavior of the thumbsticks on the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller, particularly when you are moving the thumbsticks diagonally. Based on this feedback, we’ve created a new method to calculate the position of the thumbsticks consistently, enabling thumbstick response that is more in line with what you are expecting. This method measures and uses the distance of the thumbstick position relative to the center focus point of the thumbstick base, instead of the standard method, which calculates the measurement using a two-dimensional plane. With the latest firmware update, you can expect increased accuracy of the thumbsticks on your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller for even greater control.

I can finally retire the PLZ UNDERSTAND excuse now! :p Bout to go PRO boyzzzzzzzzzzz

EYEL1NER

I'm so horrible at this game. It makes the wins feel that much better I guess, especially when my team dominates the other team, but it can be tiring trying to get one of those wins sometimes.

I was so excited about returning home to the US and being able to resume playing Halo online recently. When I left after a short trip back last year, I hadn't gotten to spend too much time with Warzone but what I did play made me fall in love with it. And I was doing decently as well. Now that I am back though, I am finding out that I am just not good at Halo 5. I have a ton of fond memories of H3 MP, but H5 is a completely different beast than H3. It don't remember having a -4.4 KDR in H3 either which bums me out quite a bit (not blaming that in H5 though, it's my own fault). I started playing Warzone when I first got back but I was getting bodied regularly, going on horrible losing streaks. So I decided to shift focus to arena for a while, which was a big mistake.

I typically played BTB is all previous Halo games but I decided to try the regular ranked Arena game types this week and see if I could place. I think I won one of the 10 needed to place in Slayer. I lost six in a row yesterday before winning and each one saw me getting only two or three kills it seemed like. I tried playing again today and finished what I needed to at least get Silver 1 but it was still brutal. I started trying to identify what I was doing wrong and what the enemy teams were doing right. It seemed like most of the enemy teams were rolling four-deep at all times and steamrolling over any lone teammate or myself that they came across, so I tried sticking with teammates and not just running off on my own at the beginning of the match, tried to stay as a pack. When my team and I stuck together, I was winning more engagements and feeling better, but it is a total toss-up whether the mic-less randoms that I play with fight as one unit or just take off towards power weapons. I guess that is just a problem that occurs when playing with randos but I can't exactly blame them for the losses because I am not putting kills on the board and winning either.

I do need to play more and learn some of the maps better. I also have some bad habits still like tossing too many 'nades and going for melees that I am nowhere close to landing.

I guess what I am saying is that the game is very polarizing for me. I like the MP at times but other times I get very frustrated by it. The formula has changed a lot since H3 though and even XBL has changed a lot since then with the advent of party chat and disappearance of people communicating in random matches. It seems like none of the people I played H3 with play H5 either. I have yet to try the single player because I never finished H4 and wanted to marathon the MCC before starting this (and haven't begun that marathon yet).
Just kind of frustrated and looking to rant a bit is all. I was playing some Griffball earlier and going like 23-5 on some matches and actually had some of the good teammates I was playing with wanting to invite me to more matches, so that brightened my day a little. I didn't feel like I was totally wasting my time.

Trup1aya

Finally done with the Silver packs!! now moving on to gold packs.

I love assault, but it is harder to score on this gametype, is easier in Halo 5 because the arming timer doesn't reset if you are stop, but because you have to stay put in the enemy base for seconds to score makes it harder than CTF were you only need to reach the goal.

Yeah but in CTF, you have to reach the goal with your flag at base. So not only do you have to gain map, control and force enemies to spawn outside of their base to pull the flag, but you also have to be able to do so while keeping the enemy out of your base.

There's a lot more multitasking in CTF, so it seems to me that it's a mode more prone to stalemates.

IHaveIce

Banned
New xbox one update rolling out today - This stood out to me :p

I can finally retire the PLZ UNDERSTAND excuse now! :p Bout to go PRO boyzzzzzzzzzzz

The last update broke my Elite controller it sets itself to a "delayed" profile always when I log in and the standard curves for the stick behavior have changed so now it is not like they used to be... have some kind of slowturn now with the Elite controller. fucking dammit

The last update broke my Elite controller it sets itself to a "delayed" profile always when I log in and the standard curves for the stick behavior have changed so now it is not like they used to be... have some kind of slowturn now with the Elite controller. fucking dammit

Welp, guess i wont update my elite then!

Shittt :(

Top Bottom