• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Do we have to have that statistics discussion again from a few weeks back re: streaks in large sequences?

lol

I mean, that thing absolutely does happen, but that 50% chance is over the course of like ALL bronze packs. Somewhere out there, on the far left end of the bellcurve, is somebody who has never ever ever gotten a permanent unlock from a bronze pack, lol.

hwalker84

I'm starting to lose my edge. Not sure if i'm just playing while being extremely tired or what. Last two FFA I played were disastrous. Usually I win or am in the top three. Not the last few times.

Akai__

Do we have to have that statistics discussion again from a few weeks back re: streaks in large sequences?

lol

I have no clue what you are talking about? I can't remember having that discussion with you. Please go ahead and calculate that shit for us, especially since you seem to know the %ages and numbers of these unlocks.

It happened often enough to me that I went past 4 Bronze packs with no or 1 unlock/s. 8 was the highest I went without unlocks and that happened twice. Like I said, I did this based on my experience, since I was tired of empty packs.

I'm starting to lose my edge. Not sure if i'm just playing while being extremely tired or what. Last two FFA I played were disastrous. Usually I win or am in the top three. Not the last few times.

Yeah, being tired can really tank my performance. And then sometimes I get zen tired, where I enter a zone where I don't think enough to choke and just steamroll, at least in terms of slaying.

Same thing with drinking.

EDIT: Coin flips, how do they work?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmmmm... sellback did indeed get me a lot of extra bronze packs, but I'm not sure if it was worth it in terms of unlocks, at least early on here. If I had a few decent unlocks for my loadout I think it'd be more fun doing the bronze thing, and I could use the probably-nicer unlocks it gets me instead of selling them. I think I'll do silver for a while to get a leg up on more interesting battles, then switch to the bronze long haul when I feel I have a nice "starter set" beyond utter basics.

BUTTTT for the moment I'm downloading TTT2 so I'll play some GoW Ulti (just got in the mail) single player.

Karl2177

I'm not convinced that it's a straight 50% every time. If I had to guess there's a curve that starts off more likely to receive a permanent unlock then tapers down as remaining unlocks comes close to 0.

I have no clue what you are talking about? I can't remember having that discussion with you. Please go ahead and calculate that shit for us, especially since you seem to know the %ages and numbers of these unlocks.

It happened often enough to me that I went past 4 Bronze packs with no or 1 unlock/s. 8 was the highest I went without unlocks and that happened twice. Like I said, I did this based on my experience, since I was tired of empty packs.

alls i knows is, i never had enough bronze packs without permanent unlocks for it to be etched in my memory.

[ie - i don't remember ever not getting unlocks with my bronzes]

mind you, it's been awhile, and long term memory is not my forte.

i think he was referring to the discussion we had with regards to someone posting their lose streak, and thinking that proved he wasn't maintaining a ~50% win percentage.

there was then a brief discussion [involving coin toss examples] about streaks, and how they're natural / expected within statistical patterns.

or something, i'm old and not a mathematician

JackHerer

Is that elite update really messing with people? Not looking forward to having to adjust if it's really that noticeable. Will try it out tonight I guess.

^^^this.

There was a discussion a couple weeks back with, I believe it was Chittagong, regarding the matchmaking system. Essentially, the argument was that an ideal matchmaking system would be around 50/50 W/L. He made the observation that he'd lost a crazy amount of his last 25 games or whatever and only won a couple, so there must be something wrong. Oddly enough, his record was basically 50% and he had just tipped over to a couple more in the loss column.

Anyway this led to a detailed discussion about how even the most unlikely streaks have the same probability of showing up in long sequences as do any other random order. So basically, you're just as likely to have 8-in-a-row unlock nothing as you are to have them unlock 2 things or 8 things. In the long run, with enough packs, it's still more efficient, even if you have occasional streaks that can be frustrating.

Yeah, being tired can really tank my performance. And then sometimes I get zen tired, where I enter a zone where I don't think enough to choke and just steamroll, at least in terms of slaying.

Same thing with drinking.

same, so much same.

it's crazy how sometimes i can slay like a madman when i'm exhausted - my brain [mostly fear / insecurity] seems to get in the way of me actually performing well QUITE often.

[well, that and the fact that i'm streaming to my w10 PC out in my studio lol]

Nah sorry, I'll be busy prepping to receive the hundreds of gifts you fine folks will send me in July for my birthday.

Right guys?...Guys?

Ill send you hundreds of
duck
pics. Just what you love and hold dear to your heart.

my aim is all over the place now :/ They really couldn't have made the thumbstick update optional?

I had to manually update my elite controller today. You sure you did yours without consent or approval? :p

Edit: elite controller

To comment on the elite controller. It does appear to have more "give" than before when going diagonally. But i havent found it to cause me to be squirrelly. Halo 5 has this thing where if your latency isn't great, your aim will be a bit messed up.

Someone mentioned before you can see this difference when you perform thrusts, throw nades and make maneuvers in a custom game vs a live game on the servers.

In all i still feel like i am the same as beore but i need to get used to the smooth diagonal movement i now have with the elite. I didnt look at the app settings though.....

Does anyone in here play on Cox internet?

I still get disconnects constantly (I'm lucky if I can finish a game). No other game I play has problems. It tears me up inside. :(

I bought a new router just to see if it would fix it, but it didn't. ISP is the only other thing I can think of. Open nat, wired.

did you ever try uninstalling and completely redownloading?

i know it's shitty option, but it's the only thing that fixed my connection issues [not on comcast, Canadian so...]

jfoul

I'm back up to 145,000 RP after the HCS packs drained me. I'll grind out 400,000 RP for April, if we get two content updates.

I checked out Halo Tracker to inspect my KD over time. It's gone up a decent amount since release, when I switched over to bumper jumper for the first time.

KD:
  • Launch - 0.85
  • Current - 1.1

K+A / D
  • Launch - 1.11
  • Current - 1.37

Glass

who're these guys?

new to the pro scene, never heard of them - they ex Halo pros gone to COD or something?

edit: my god, there's like over 8k people watching this nadeshot dude!

Summits a big PC streamer, mainly CSGO, who has a child like adoration for Halo. He pulls in like 15k viewers on a quiet day, which is 15 times more then the top Halo streamer I think. So when he gets talking about Halo I always enjoy it. He was allowed to show the HCS finals on his channel and had 25k people watching it who probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Nadeshots probably the most famous gamer in the world, played CoD as a pro, he's big on YouTube and just got back on Twitch, breaking twitch's sub train record the other night.

Both are at crazy levels of popularity I hope Halos players can work towards with the great foundation 5 has brought imo.

cool, thanks guys!

yeah, like i said, never follow this stuff - only watch Halo streamers 'cause i got dat halo addiction like crazy.

honestly wouldn't watch any of them if they played any other game, lol.

crazy to see these kids pulling such numbers, absolutely insane!

Poster#1

Summits a big PC streamer, mainly CSGO, who has a child like adoration for Halo. He pulls in like 15k viewers on a quiet day, which is 15 times more then the top Halo streamer I think. So when he gets talking about Halo I always enjoy it. He was allowed to show the HCS finals on his channel and had 25k people watching it who probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Nadeshots probably the most famous gamer in the world, played CoD as a pro, he's big on YouTube and just got back on Twitch, breaking twitch's sub train record the other night.

Both are at crazy levels of popularity I hope Halos players can work towards with the great foundation 5 has brought imo.

I hope 343 work something with them. It would be great if they can bring new players to Halo.

Trup1aya

I hope 343 work something with them. It would be great if they can bring new players to Halo.

I didn't want the stream last night, when I do, I always see his followers making comments like, "Halo 5 looks much better than I thought, I need to check it out"...

This kids are a great marketing opportunity.

Poster#1

I didn't want the stream last night, when I do, I always see his followers making comments like, "Halo 5 looks much better than I thought, I need to check it out"...

This kids are a great marketing opportunity.

Yeah after Halo 4 and MCC fiasco i think many people abandoned the series. I hope these streams can show people how Halo 5 is different.

Akai__

The 16 player party chat is crazy and awesome at the same time. They just need to figure out these "Connecting" issues that occur from time to time. It happened to me quite some times mid game and it really sucks. Takes some time, until you realize that you are talking to yourself. lol :D

Not loading for "All Maps", but if you select the maps individually then it works.

Get some avatars on NeoGAF you plebs!

Dice

Okay I will whine about this: My entire team has been getting killed from spawn by a sniper. He has over 40 kills. He has full view of every single entry into the level. There is no way even to look out of the base let alone walk anywhere without being killed by him, and we can't even try to see where he is to counter snipe because he already has a beat. This is completely broken.

Edit: That really put me off from playing for now. Absolutely disgusting. I'm going to play Gears.

Trup1aya

Is it strange that I find Warzone most enjoyable when I can't access the Req screen.

I had a match yesterday when all I could do was wreck with the pistol, or scavenge for weapons, I managed to get 3rd on my team in Spartan kills, and 2nd in points scored, on the way to a 1000-989 victory.

The warden spawned and I picked of numerous enemies with the pistol, as they tried to rush him. We were up about 850 to 800 when I attempted to assassinate the Warden. Midway through the animation he dies, and Palmer credits the enemie team.

Now we're down 950 to about 900 but we did have two bases.

No one is chatting, but we push for the third base, secure it (thanks largely to a scatter shot I found on the ground), and decide to methodically push the core. Didn't want to go so hard that they win on Spartan kills, But we didn't want to give them a chance to reclaim a base either.

Lucky for us, the enemy diverted more effort into getting a base, than defending the core and we were able to destroy the core, just before they recapped a base.

It was exhillerating.

Get some avatars on NeoGAF you plebs!

Hmm...

Now I remember why I have my voice set to friends only.

Game starts fine, nobody really saying anything. Someone on the team leaves, so naturally we start to lose. Few minutes later, "Why do I always get the retard teammates" (even though you never made a single callout). The other guy, "Yeah, these faggots sucks" *he gets kills* "Fucking Niggers."

Just a bunch of homophobic and racist fucktards.

Back to friends/party chat.

Also lol at this game. The Onyx players were 1955, 1802, and 1638. Fighting against plat/diamonds/unranked.

Dice

Arena is much less trolly than warzone; it's very refreshing. I might want to focus on that until I get decent loadout unlocks, only playing enough warzone for the daily reward. Some of these guns I pick up in warzone are just ridiculously nice compared to the basics. It's kind of annoying to realize what has been on the other side of those across-the-field battles wasn't even REQs a lot of the time, but kickass long range versions of assault and battle rifles.

Arena is much less trolly than warzone; it's very refreshing. I might want to focus on that until I get decent loadout unlocks, only playing enough warzone for the daily reward. Some of these guns I pick up in warzone are just ridiculously nice compared to the basics. It's kind of annoying to realize what has been on the other side of those across-the-field battles wasn't even REQs a lot of the time, but kickass long range versions of assault and battle rifles.

Yeah, the amount of different gun variations are pretty neat. Especially the scopes and addons like the knight blade. heh.

I think Arena is the business for Halo 5. Warzone is where you just want to go crazy and try everything in the sandbox. You can also try big team battle if you like the larger player count type of games.

Just got a XB1 again after not having one for a bit (watching HWC was the straw that made me grab one again lol). Re-downloading H5 now, guess I'll be grinding Warzone for awhile trying to catch up on req packs.....

Dice

I think Arena is the business for Halo 5. Warzone is where you just want to go crazy and try everything in the sandbox. You can also try big team battle if you like the larger player count type of games.
I just learned a new downside to Warzone: Server disconnect 15 minutes in when your team was extending lead after a comeback. -_______-

Just got a XB1 again after not having one for a bit. Re-downloading H5 now, guess I'll be grinding Warzone for awhile trying to catch up on req packs.....

Dont fret. We do warzone saturday sessions and usually have a full group. So grinding should be fun.

I think akai is still doing them. Keep an eye out :)

I just learned a new downside to Warzone: Server disconnect 15 minutes in when your team was extending lead after a comeback. -_______-

Yeah i question the servers sometimes too. Ive lost legendary boosts a couple of times but whatever. I hope the server issue get ironed out by the time warzone firefight comes.

Madness

I thought Nadeshot was a fairly prolific Halo pro back in the day, or am I mistaken?

Not necessarily prolific but he was a Halo pro and got his name from that. 343 added a medal Nadeshot in H5 just to remind people it comes from Halo in a sense.

But so many pros have left Halo. Prior to the HWC and HCS who could blame them. MLG eventually dropped Reach due to lack of support and fans, they didn't even carry Halo 4 at all. MCC was a massive bust for the first season of HCS. It's why guys like Nadeshot, Formal, Enable, Crimsix and so many are playing CoD. Xbox One is a small platform now and as good as Halo 5 is its 10th/11th with on xbl whereas Black Ops still #1 and across 3 platforms that's a lot of fans and viewers.

Imagine the money and fame and followers Ninja would get if he went to CoD, if Lethul goes to CoD. It's easy for Halo pros to transition because CoD less skilled and just require the superior reflexes and focus that most gaming pros have. The only reason Huke is playing Halo is because CoD had an age limit so we could end up losing him.

I knew about the nadeshot trick in halo 2 before i heard of nadeshot. Let alone i barely even knew about him within the last 6+ months. Like when i finally started paying attention to streamers and their names.

I thought it was nice to see they added the medal nadeshot to halo 5 as it payed homage to my pwning tatic in h2. The noob combo is also cool to hear too. hehe, "OMG NOOB COMBO? GET SUM SKILLZ NOOB" " SO NOOB YOU GOTTA USE THE NOOB COMBO TO GET KEEELZ, LULZ"

my nade placement was so godly in h2. :( .... sigh

Strider

Nadeshot the most famous gamer in the world? Some people must really just like to pretend pewdiepie doesn't exist lol :p the numbers aren't even comparable.
Nadeshot is really popular tho and now that he's back on twitch he'll be one of the biggest channels.

Halo 5 is in a really good spot tho right now and people like nadeshot can def help boost the population more. It still blows my mind people think the standard season pass structure would be better for the game or that the focus on Esports was a completely wrong move. Having a fan base invested in a competitive scene keeps games alive whether you have a casual crowd or not...

Not saying they shouldn't have done a better job at catering to the social/casual crowd because they def could and should have but investing in Esports was a good move

Top Bottom