• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

It's not my style at all, but I respect it. I just enjoy the people here so I keep dragging myself back into playing lol

Dude, the pistol in this game is the best utility weapon since CE. It's difficult to use, but when you're on your game you can destroy people with it. It's perrrfect. I'm surprised you don't like the game from the pistol alone.

daedalius

Well the community asked for it. 343i provided it and put more options than asked for. One upping it really.

Lots of people play fine on the default settings. We're just giving you 'options' on how we've adjusted the settings to our liking.

I thought it was because a not insignificant portion of the playerbase complained the default controls were garbage.

I guess that's like "asking" for it.

BraXzy

Anyone who has everything unlocked confirm whether or not Achilles can be unlocked via regular packs?

It cannot.

RG0BS1U.gif

No, rampancy is divided into several stages. Melancholia, Anger, Envy and Metastability. Most never even reach the Envy stage, just succumbing to their rage and ever-increasing thirst for knowledge.

That's how it was in Marathon, anyway. We don't have any specific information about levels of rampancy, so your three stages are also purely speculation.

So Cortana could still well be rampant, or she could've moved past that all-together. My point, however, was that she's batshit insane. You don't need to be rampant to be insane. Considering she's also toying with a Halo ring, I don't think that is too far-fetched.

Um, this is Halo, not Marathon. Works differently here. http://www.halopedia.org/Rampancy

I might be misremembering the third stage thing (I was thinking in terms of growth, operation, rampancy, then either death or metastability), but Rampancy is definitely it's own thing, distinct from metastability.

But it's important to remember that Cortana is operating on more what I'd call blue and orange morality than actual craziness. It does make a certain coldblooded degree of sense. Utilitarianism carried to its logical extreme. In a person, we'd call that crazy (because there's no way to know that you're doing the right thing), but in an immortal superintelligent AI...? I dunno.

Dude, the pistol in this game is the best utility weapon since CE. It's difficult to use, but when you're on your game you can destroy people with it. It's perrrfect. I'm surprised you don't like the game from the pistol alone.

The pistol is one of the reasons I return. The shooting is great. It's the whole package and and mechanics I find distasteful, however fun they may be. I already had a thread on that, so I don't wanna derail this thread.

The pistol is one of the reasons I return. The shooting is great. It's the whole package and and mechanics I find distasteful, however fun they may be. I already had a thread on that, so I don't wanna derail this thread.

Yeah I posted in that thread. :p

My only beef with this game is probably on the map side, I feel there's not a standout. Truth comes close, but it's a remake. Still the maps are overall better than Reach and 4. Even 4 had Haven though.

BraXzy

Yeah I posted in that thread. :p

My only beef with this game is probably on the map side, I feel there's not a standout. Truth comes close, but it's a remake. Still the maps are overall better than Reach and 4. Even 4 had Haven though.

The maps are definitely the weakest point but there's sublime gameplay to eventually apply to better maps :L

I definitely agree nothing stands out greatly. There's no The Pit/Guardian/Lockout yet for me.

By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but what's this about?
  • Added Line of Sight toggle option for use in custom games, such as Octagon
I briefly skimmed through the custom game options yesterday and didn't see anything about this. What's the deal?
No idea, but I'm curious about that as well.

Madness

I was so disappointed with Mk. V that I didn't even look at the other armor sets. Achilles is cool, not sure it's something I'd use.

ZSiwJ8l.png

Lot of people using Mark IV helmet with Mark V armor. I still think the way Brav said it, they realized Alpha wasn't as big a hit as they'd like, we could see a different version soon.

ZSiwJ8l.png

Lot of people using Mark IV helmet with Mark V armor. I still think the way Brav said it, they realized Alpha wasn't as big a hit as they'd like, we could see a different version soon.
Now, why can't they advertise new Halo games with this armor, the most iconic designs in this franchise?
Is it a glitch that we can't spawn with the H2BR in custom game slayer or is it a glitch that we CAN spawn with it in custom games snipers?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

E92 M3

I know I harped about this many times, but if Halo 5 had better map design, it would literally be perfect for me.

I currently love the following:

- Truth

I like:

- Regret
- Coliseum
- Plaza
- Pegasus (nice sight lines)

Average
:

- Empire

Don't like:

- Everything else

I would love to see at least 4 maps in the "Love" column.

Trup1aya

I thought it was because a not insignificant portion of the playerbase complained the default controls were garbage.

I guess that's like "asking" for it.

Of course ideally, the default controls will be perfect for everyone. But outside of the extreme auto-aim found in every other modern shooter, how do you achieve that?

Giving people the ability to customize their controls is a fantastic solution, IMO

Ramirez

I don't dislike any map, and The Rig is the only one I have major problems with, but that's because the power weapon setup is absolute trash tier.

This game, in my opinion, does not have a single map on the level of stuff like Isolation, The Cage, Gemini, etc.

Rocket786

After beating the campaign solo on legendary and giving the experience a few days to sink in, I'm ready to proclaim this campaign the best since Halo:CE.

First and foremost I want to compliment the level design that went into the campaign. It seems that an extreme amount of care and detail went into the production of each area. All of the battle spaces seemed to really emphasize on multiple solutions and big giant areas to fight in. You had options of long range weapons or up close weapons depending on your play style, and on legendary, you really had to incorporate both to reach the end of some battles. Legendary was no joke...

I had a lot of moments during the campaign which brought me back to AoTR from CE. Especially Swords of Sanghelios. That was up there with the best of the best levels the series has ever brought to the table. The scale, the verticality, the options, the new arsenal of movement, all just combined beautifully to create a spectacular gameplay experience. Speaking of movement, I really don't think I can go back to the old Halo's without the clamber, dash, and sprint. They all really enhanced the already rock solid gameplay of Halo's before. The 10 second gameplay loop has never been better.

The Warden wasn't as bad as I heard a lot of people mention. Sure, some parts were pretty frustrating... Two or three Wardens at the same time?! WTF! But the game gave you some serious power weapons at those points to wreak havoc, and eventually I prevailed. Though a little more variety in boss battles in Halo 6 would be very welcome (If they continue with boss battles in the series).

The story wasn't bad either. It certainly didn't follow what marketing led you to believe but we should all know that by now after seeing the Halo 3 and Reach ads. This was no different in that sense. The somewhat cliffhanger ending was miles better than Halo 2's ending, and that cut scene at the end of legendary
another Halo!
has me stoked for whenever Halo 6 releases.

The art was fantastic, and that's usually a criticism of Halo games. Sanghelios and Genesis were beautifully designed and realized. I felt the sense of wonder exploring Genesis for the first time, that I hadn't felt since landing on Halo for the first time in CE. Only thing missing was the Covenant's signature purple ship level. They really do give an alien feel in the previous games and I would've loved to see how 343 would've handled it in Halo 5. Well, hopefully in Halo 6...

Lastly, the score felt like Halo again although it did have some moments where it felt more generic, and other moments where music was missing altogether during intense fights, where as Marty would've rocked your ears during those portions. If they continue with Jinnouchi for Halo 6, I wouldn't mind, but hell, Marty is independent now. Bring him on board and Halo 6 will be my most anticipated game ever!

All in all, the campaign really felt fantastic, and the challenge for beating legendary solo was ridiculous. Though being a huge fan of Halo games on legendary, I wouldn't have it any other way. The gameplay isn't meant for rushing in and killing everything and feeling invincible. It's meant for strategizing and taking your time killing one enemy at a time. It's about finding the right weapon for the right moment. All of that is there in spades for Halo 5. Well freakin done 343. I'll probably end up playing the campaign again a few more times if time permits it, and I'll definitely be back for Halo 6. Hopefully the sales of the game were well enough for them to put the same amount of effort for the campaign in 6; as it still is one of the main reasons a lot of Halo fans play the game.

Of course ideally, the default controls will be perfect for everyone. But outside of the extreme auto-aim found in every other modern shooter, how do you achieve that?

Giving people the ability to customize their controls is a fantastic solution, IMO

Halo 5 has a milder case of Project Car's problem: the default controls feel off and frustrate the average player. Project Car's shipped with a ton of different control customization features such as deadzones. It wasn't optimized for joystick play until serious tinkering.

I have never seen my father (casual gamer) have so much issues with the aiming in a Halo game. It's not horrible, but it certainly doesn't feel as good as other Halo's, such as CE, which didn't feature a ton of auto aim/aim assist/bullet magnetism we see in modern games.

God bless the MCC's initial issue with CE's aiming, giving us anti-aim assist. God bless it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I know I harped about this many times, but if Halo 5 had better map design, it would literally be perfect for me.

Haven't played Riptide yet and not including BTB/Breakout Forge maps.

Halo 5 is almost as weak as Halo 4 in terms of good maps for me. It's particularly disappointing. Not a single map to love, so many of the maps blend together in the mind's eye. Boring ugly Human based urban crap or pipe mazes. The lack of diversity in the map environments is a real disappointment too.

Dislike

• The Rig
  • Regret
  • Empire
  • Any other map not mentioned below

OK
  • Truth
  • Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Fathom
  • Overgrowth

• Plaza

Love

• None

There isn't a single map that will become a "classic" in future. Conversely, there are no terrible maps either. No terribles or greats.

Magwik

Banned
Haven't played Riptide yet and not including BTB/Breakout Forge maps.

Halo 5 is almost as weak as Halo 4 in terms of good maps for me. It's particularly disappointing. Not a single map to love, so many of the maps blend together in the mind's eye. Boring ugly Human based urban crap or pipe mazes. The lack of diversity in the map environments is a real disappointment too.

Dislike

• The Rig
  • Regret
  • Empire
  • Any other map not mentioned below

OK
  • Truth
  • Pegasus
  • Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Fathom
  • Overgrowth

• Plaza

Love

• None

There isn't a single map that will become a "classic" in future.

Maybe APEX 7, but that's a Warzone map

Madness

I still don't have either the helmet or the armour :(

Me neither. I use Noble armor and helmet. #RememberReach

Now, why can't they advertise new Halo games with this armor, the most iconic designs in this franchise?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

No clue. Just don't understand why Mjolnir Mk V/VI have been shelved in terms of representing the universe considering how visible and iconic the designs are. No clue why Recruit represents base Spartan-4's etc.

BraXzy

Hehe, I use the Noble helmet too. It's a toss up between that and Recon as far as coolest looking for me personally. I've always loved Recon, and in a way it's nice that it's no longer so exclusive because people don't really bother with it which makes it less commonly used :D

E92 M3

Hehe, I use the Noble helmet too. It's a toss up between that and Recon as far as coolest looking for me personally. I've always loved Recon, and in a way it's nice that it's no longer so exclusive because people don't really bother with it which makes it less commonly used :D

When it comes to armor, I don't care about rarity - just use what's cool. Fortunately, the Achilles armor looks cool and will be very rare.

BraXzy

When it comes to armor, I don't care about rarity - just use what's cool. Fortunately, the Achilles armor looks cool and will be very rare.

I think the armour will eventually become fairly common, I'll be surprised to see how many companies end up picking up the helmet however.

I personally don't really like any of the maps. I haven't played Overgrowth or Riptide, but random oversegmented asyms are as far down on my list of preferred styles of maps as it gets. I can agree that there aren't really any maps that are outstandingly bad or otherwise notorious maps; nevertheless, I don't find any of them remarkable, let alone "classic". The majority of the maps in Halo 5 can be described as safe, sterile or otherwise lacking in any distinguishing gameplay that makes them worth revisiting. They're tailored so stiffly towards a specific style of gameplay that they leave little room for charm. The only map to come out of this era that has that classic Halo feeling to me would be Daybreak. (Although it wasn't my personal favorite from Halo 4 but I wont mention that one since nobody else liked it.)

The old Halo games have had a lot of stinkers, but I appreciate the risks that were taken. A bad map with unique gameplay is frankly more replayable to me than a decent map with boring gameplay - a sentiment that might have surprised even myself until I saw it in action with this game. Halo 5 plays so good, but there's nothing fun to play it on yet.

edit: I like Raid on Apex 7, but I haven't played that since people started glitching the armory. Flying a Banshee around on that map is the highlight of Halo 5 MP for me thus far.

BraXzy

The only map to come out of this era that has that classic Halo feeling would be Daybreak.

Watching a video walkthrough of that map, and it makes me miss maps that are outdoors :(

I still don't know what I think about the strict divide between what is considered "Arena" and what isn't in H5. Like, we were playing a customs game that involved Phaetons and I couldn't remember how it controlled because literally the last time I used one was in the campaign. It's a shame how vehicles are hardly a feature outside of Warzone any more.

I'm surprised people don't like Empire as much. It plays pretty well imo with enough cover and paths to prevent a team with power weapons to outright destroy the other team. I'm as burned out by human/urban maps as the next person, but Empire plays alright.

Don't worry if we continue working together we will get the armor and helmet ;)

Just in time for Halo 3 Anniversary on 2017

Ramirez

I feel like Overgrowth could be close, but besides that there isn't a real stinker so that's a positive I guess!

Eh, I think Overgrowth plays good in Strongholds, the map's issues are its weapon setup more than anything, IMO.

Empire CTF reminds me of Countdown a lot, mainly due to how fast paced it is, very little room to breathe, both frustrating and awesome at times.

Um, this is Halo, not Marathon. Works differently here. http://www.halopedia.org/Rampancy

I might be misremembering the third stage thing (I was thinking in terms of growth, operation, rampancy, then either death or metastability), but Rampancy is definitely it's own thing, distinct from metastability.

But it's important to remember that Cortana is operating on more what I'd call blue and orange morality than actual craziness. It does make a certain coldblooded degree of sense. Utilitarianism carried to its logical extreme. In a person, we'd call that crazy (because there's no way to know that you're doing the right thing), but in an immortal superintelligent AI...? I dunno.

There's no real documentation on how rampancy works in the Halo universe, though, so we know very little about it.

And in a sense, Cortana has achieved personhood. We see this in her final cutscene appearance, when she's literally walking about. So yeah, I'd definitely still call it crazy. Insane actions often make sense to the people doing them, but not to us. This isn't too far from that.

Watching a video walkthrough of that map, and it makes me miss maps that are outdoors :(

I still don't know what I think about the strict divide between what is considered "Arena" and what isn't in H5. Like, we were playing a customs game that involved Phaetons and I couldn't remember how it controlled because literally the last time I used one was in the campaign. It's a shame how vehicles are hardly a feature outside of Warzone any more.

Anything that isn't in a UNSC facility of some sort would be nice. I don't necessarily care what theme the map has so much as how it shapes the gameplay. If they made a really cool outdoorsy map based on the Merdian Campaign mission with a large terrain field on one half and a building on the other half, that would be interesting. And there's no law that states that map can't play well competitively.

There are a few rumors of what's to come and I hope they're a bit more geometrically ambitious.

And I still don't have the helmet. :( I've got the Noble armor and even the legendary Noble Valor armor, but my REQ packs continue to disappoint me with their contents.

There's no real documentation on how rampancy works in the Halo universe, though, so we know very little about it.

And in a sense, Cortana has achieved personhood. We see this in her final cutscene appearance, when she's literally walking about. So yeah, I'd definitely still call it crazy. Insane actions often make sense to the people doing them, but not to us. This isn't too far from that.

Ah, I misspoke. I meant to say "human." We're short-lived, extremely fallible creatures. Very limited in our ability to understand our own thinking, and entirely incapable of grasping and processing the number of factors required for extremely long-term planning. I don't know that I'd apply the same behavioral standards to an AI that I would to a human.

And we have a pretty solid grasp of how it works in the Halo 'verse. The longer an AI lives, the more memories it accumulates, and the more interconnected those memories become. As those connections grow, you get "feedback," as AIs begin thinking about things that ought to be unrelated and become incapable of separating themselves properly. This feedback manifests itself in various kinds of instability, which varies from AI to AI. Cortana got irrationally angry, paranoid, etc. Others get delusions of godhood, others get depressed... it varies.

After this goes on long enough, they die.

Sometimes the visors make the helmet better or worse.

Midnight almost makes them all better lol. Especially goblin.

Yeah guys. I rocked goblin.

jem0208

Was surprised to see you defend Halo 2's button glitches lol

good boy
Why wouldn't I defend the button glitches? They're awesome!

I'm the one generally defending mechanics, lol. There's not many I heavily disagree with in the Halo series.

After beating the campaign solo on legendary and giving the experience a few days to sink in, I'm ready to proclaim this campaign the best since Halo:CE.

First and foremost I want to compliment the level design that went into the campaign. It seems that an extreme amount of care and detail went into the production of each area. All of the battle spaces seemed to really emphasize on multiple solutions and big giant areas to fight in. You had options of long range weapons or up close weapons depending on your play style, and on legendary, you really had to incorporate both to reach the end of some battles. Legendary was no joke...

I had a lot of moments during the campaign which brought me back to AoTR from CE. Especially Swords of Sanghelios. That was up there with the best of the best levels the series has ever brought to the table. The scale, the verticality, the options, the new arsenal of movement, all just combined beautifully to create a spectacular gameplay experience. Speaking of movement, I really don't think I can go back to the old Halo's without the clamber, dash, and sprint. They all really enhanced the already rock solid gameplay of Halo's before. The 10 second gameplay loop has never been better.

The Warden wasn't as bad as I heard a lot of people mention. Sure, some parts were pretty frustrating... Two or three Wardens at the same time?! WTF! But the game gave you some serious power weapons at those points to wreak havoc, and eventually I prevailed. Though a little more variety in boss battles in Halo 6 would be very welcome (If they continue with boss battles in the series).

The story wasn't bad either. It certainly didn't follow what marketing led you to believe but we should all know that by now after seeing the Halo 3 and Reach ads. This was no different in that sense. The somewhat cliffhanger ending was miles better than Halo 2's ending, and that cut scene at the end of legendary
another Halo!
has me stoked for whenever Halo 6 releases.

The art was fantastic, and that's usually a criticism of Halo games. Sanghelios and Genesis were beautifully designed and realized. I felt the sense of wonder exploring Genesis for the first time, that I hadn't felt since landing on Halo for the first time in CE. Only thing missing was the Covenant's signature purple ship level. They really do give an alien feel in the previous games and I would've loved to see how 343 would've handled it in Halo 5. Well, hopefully in Halo 6...

Lastly, the score felt like Halo again although it did have some moments where it felt more generic, and other moments where music was missing altogether during intense fights, where as Marty would've rocked your ears during those portions. If they continue with Jinnouchi for Halo 6, I wouldn't mind, but hell, Marty is independent now. Bring him on board and Halo 6 will be my most anticipated game ever!

All in all, the campaign really felt fantastic, and the challenge for beating legendary solo was ridiculous. Though being a huge fan of Halo games on legendary, I wouldn't have it any other way. The gameplay isn't meant for rushing in and killing everything and feeling invincible. It's meant for strategizing and taking your time killing one enemy at a time. It's about finding the right weapon for the right moment. All of that is there in spades for Halo 5. Well freakin done 343. I'll probably end up playing the campaign again a few more times if time permits it, and I'll definitely be back for Halo 6. Hopefully the sales of the game were well enough for them to put the same amount of effort for the campaign in 6; as it still is one of the main reasons a lot of Halo fans play the game.

+1

I don't dislike any map, and The Rig is the only one I have major problems with, but that's because the power weapon setup is absolute trash tier.

This game, in my opinion, does not have a single map on the level of stuff like Isolation, The Cage, Gemini, etc.

Rig slayer and Overgrowth slayer are both pretty bad, but as you say that's largely due to weapon set imo.

I played Overgrowth strongholds for the first time the other day and I was surprised how good it was, leagues better than slayer.

It's quite like The Rig in that regard, they're both pretty bad for slayer but good for strongholds (with the Rig being especially good)

Sometimes the visors make the helmet better or worse.

Midnight almost makes them all better lol. Especially goblin.

Yeah guys. I rocked goblin.

Goblin is fucking awesome, I'm rocking that at the moment.

BraXzy

Anything that isn't in a UNSC facility of some sort would be nice.

There are a few rumors of what's to come and I hope they're a bit more geometrically ambitious.

Yup yup! I mean, the rig remix I think it was is another one set in a facility type place but with lava right? So that'll be pretty cool. But yeah, a bit of sunlight and grass wouldn't go amiss.

And I still don't have the helmet. :( I've got the Noble armor and even the legendary Noble Valor armor, but my REQ packs continue to disappoint me with their contents.

Really? I swear there's an uncommon/rare variant on top of the rarer versions.

Top Bottom